SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why aren't more members posting?

+11
petal34
bravo321uk
skfarblum
Loneblossom
Wes
wccthethird
Quiet
_Leslie_
mac
KatyKing
Left Behind
15 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Why aren't more members posting? - Page 5 Empty Re: Why aren't more members posting?

Post by mac Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 pm

"Quiet

Thanks for your response Mac.

'Spiritualism' is abroad subject. Potentially but there are few new topics...It ranges from the serious study of physical phenomena to matters of daily living .... and everything in between. absolutely agree.... In this part of the world many people who attend services do so not because of the more scientific, academic aspect of Spiritualism but to see mediumship and to hear a good speaker on a topic of interest - usually to do with some aspect which vitally affects them. understandable.... I went to a service yesterday and the topic was death but it covered a broad range of issues and was simple yet articulate. That's good to hear....

'Chit chat' is also open to interpretation. I don't know for sure what you mean by that but I suspect that you might not like casual diversions in threads. Absolutely right when it's a serious topic but this is the 'General Chat' forum where 'anything goes'.....

However, I see those casual diversions sometimes as really important parts of the dialogue for a whole range of reasons. They might throw a different light on an issue. They may support someone in an indirect but very effective way. And where they do I'm happy to join in....

Sometimes a couple of people might take the topic in a different direction which is worthwhile but may not be of interest to the original poster, and sometimes two or three people might get into an apparently exclusive conversation and that can be a little off-putting. I see matters this way. If a new direction is important, there's nothing to prevent the contributor starting a new thread. I do see, though, that's not always practicable or necessary but all too often a thread becomes derailed when the 'chat' is mostly personal and unrelated to the original topic....

I can see how 'chatting' might be seen that way as well but don't think this happens all that much in this forum because it does have quite a small membership. the General Chat forum is surely one where there's no fixed agenda - that's the nature of chatting surely? If the forum got a lot bigger there might be need to rules about keeping on topic and Moderators to enforce those. In a General Chat forum this surely isn't appropriate? It would be where there's a specific topic and members don't pay any respect to the contributors to that topic - been there.... I used to belong to a large forum where that was indeed the case. I regularly contribute to several large websites - light-touch moderation is my preference preferably by moderators who understand the forum subject - not always the case in my experience...

If you want to bring a topic back, you can always use the [Quote] function more effectively. You and I might already have had a conversation about the [Quote] function Smile. Oh I'm pretty knowledgeable about using forum utilities but you can't prevent contributors going off-topic that way or bring them back on-topic.....

I sometimes it difficult to read your responses to posts because you don't use the [Quote] function and as I have a slight visual impairment it's hard for me to distinguish your comments from the text you're commenting on. In fact, Mac. the way you do this does not meet accessibility standards that apply in this country and in the UK Smile. I'm sorry to hear you don't find my postings visually accessible. In my defence I find that many members (not necessarily here) won't ever use the 'Quote' button at all even when I've asked repeatedly that they do.... Responding as I have here - using a contrasting colour - is my way of avoiding having to repeatedly pick up sentences and put them in a box or in quotation marks. I'm sorry it's not working for you and I'd be pleased to change to something more suited to your personal needs. Accessibility standards do not - as you will know - apply to individuals in forum settings be that in the USA or be it in the UK (unless someone can point me in the direction of the relevant rules) but I'm happy to adopt whatever way I can to help you read what I write in future....

So different things bother different people. Internet communication is much harder than face-to - face because we don't know people and we can't pick up visual cues. It's not the case for me....

But it is good to have an open discussion from time to time so that people have a chance to say things directly.absolutely agreed....

mac

Back to top Go down

Why aren't more members posting? - Page 5 Empty Re: Why aren't more members posting?

Post by KatyKing Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm

There's a tradition of comical guides coming through in circles often chirpy cockney characters or in less PC days a 'droll negro' . Not come across much of that personally but some contacts can be pretty funny. If that's how they were on this side why would they change in Spirit?
Danger in calling for censorship of posts in order that only Spiritualism is seriously discussed is that implication of a clear definition of what Spiritualism entails. There can be no such thing as everyone has their own views hence the plethora of Spiritualist denominations and viewpoints . And that's mirrored on here. It' a short and dangerous step between.... this is what can de discussed and where,to ... you are only allowed to discuss this defined viewpoint here. Few take issue with things they agree with personally but there's a fine line sometimes between healthy and polite disagreement in online discussions and virtual censorship.
Self censorship is best. Just ignore anything that rankles. This forum is so interesting that I've yet to find anything of that sort. We can learn a lot from the unfamiliar, even if at first; it sometimes feels uncomfortable.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 pm

SNUi has a forum for members. Only SNU interpretations are permitted and anything perceived as beyond the pale is excised. As found out when I posted a link on there to this forum. Now that's fair enough as it's a one party state on there. But this forum is a much loosier and goosier federation. I like that. It seems seems very 'Spiritualistic in spirit' IMHO.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

mac wrote:
If you want to bring a topic back, you can always use the [ Quote ] function more effectively. You and I might already have had a conversation about the [ Quote ] function Smile. Oh I'm pretty knowledgeable about using forum utilities but you can't prevent contributors going off-topic that way or bring them back on-topic.....

I sometimes it difficult to read your responses to posts because you don't use the [ quote ] function and as I have a slight visual impairment it's hard for me to distinguish your comments from the text you're commenting on. In fact, Mac. the way you do this does not meet accessibility standards that apply in this country and in the UK Smile. I'm sorry to hear you don't find my postings visually accessible. In my defence I find that many members (not necessarily here) won't ever use the 'Quote' button at all even when I've asked repeatedly that they do.... Responding as I have here - using a contrasting colour - is my way of avoiding having to repeatedly pick up sentences and put them in a box or in quotation marks. I'm sorry it's not working for you and I'd be pleased to change to something more suited to your personal needs. Accessibility standards do not - as you will know - apply to individuals in forum settings be that in the USA or be it in the UK (unless someone can point me in the direction of the relevant rules) but I'm happy to adopt whatever way I can to help you read what I write in future....

So different things bother different people. Internet communication is much harder than face-to - face because we don't know people and we can't pick up visual cues. It's not the case for me....

But it is good to have an open discussion from time to time so that people have a chance to say things directly.absolutely agreed....

Thanks Mac, You post blue on blue - there is not enough contrast for me to easily see. I can read it but it is not so easy. Also, the lack of separation of your comment from the original text makes the entire thing very dense and that also works against accessibility.

No site could be expected to meet the very individual needs of everyone but a simple understanding of standards might help! Of course, that rarely happens on the net. I can't force you to use the [ quote ] function. You have free will after all Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Quiet wrote:
mac wrote:
If you want to bring a topic back, you can always use the [ Quote ] function more effectively. You and I might already have had a conversation about the [ Quote ] function Smile. Oh I'm pretty knowledgeable about using forum utilities but you can't prevent contributors going off-topic that way or bring them back on-topic.....

I sometimes it difficult to read your responses to posts because you don't use the [ quote ] function and as I have a slight visual impairment it's hard for me to distinguish your comments from the text you're commenting on. In fact, Mac. the way you do this does not meet accessibility standards that apply in this country and in the UK Smile. I'm sorry to hear you don't find my postings visually accessible. In my defence I find that many members (not necessarily here) won't ever use the 'Quote' button at all even when I've asked repeatedly that they do.... Responding as I have here - using a contrasting colour - is my way of avoiding having to repeatedly pick up sentences and put them in a box or in quotation marks. I'm sorry it's not working for you and I'd be pleased to change to something more suited to your personal needs. Accessibility standards do not - as you will know - apply to individuals in forum settings be that in the USA or be it in the UK (unless someone can point me in the direction of the relevant rules) but I'm happy to adopt whatever way I can to help you read what I write in future....

Thanks Mac, You post blue on blue - there is not enough contrast for me to easily see. I can read it but it is not so easy. Also, the lack of separation of your comment from the original text makes the entire thing very dense and that also works against accessibility.

No site could be expected to meet the very individual needs of everyone but a simple understanding of standards might help! Of course, that rarely happens on the net. I can't force you to use the [ quote ] function. You have free will after all Smile

To be frank I've picked up the bad habit of so many others writing on forum boards by sometimes dropping my use of the 'Quote' button - after a long time posting exactly as you prefer - mea culpa.

Many of my comments, though, require the quoting of individual sentences or groups of sentences and in a long piece they can be very time-consuming. But I do still use the 'Quote' button where there's no need for individual sentences - it must just be that in replying to you I happen not to have done. But I take your point and in future I'll be happy to do as you ask. Smile

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 pm

My pet grouse is that having responded to certain contributors' postings, often in detail, the contributor(s) can't be bothered to answer a single point I made.

But they can find the time, and put in the effort, to continue to write about themselves at length....
Rolling Eyes

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Very Happy Pets are nice. They are as close as family, but we get to choose them.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:51 pm

mac wrote:
Many of my comments, though, require the quoting of individual sentences or groups of sentences and in a long piece they can be very time-consuming. But I do still use the 'Quote' button where there's no need for individual sentences - it must just be that in replying to you I happen not to have done. But I take your point and in future I'll be happy to do as you ask. Smile [/color]

It can be quite messy to quote single lines or sentences. I had to repost my earlier response several times to get it right. That is partly why I didn't respond to all your points, not that you were referring to me when you commented on people who don't Laughing

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Others' pets are even nicer 'cos you don't have to bother with 'em yourself. Razz

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Quiet wrote:
mac wrote:
Many of my comments, though, require the quoting of individual sentences or groups of sentences and in a long piece they can be very time-consuming. But I do still use the 'Quote' button where there's no need for individual sentences - it must just be that in replying to you I happen not to have done. But I take your point and in future I'll be happy to do as you ask. Smile [/color]

It can be quite messy to quote single lines or sentences. I had to repost my earlier response several times to get it right. That is partly why I didn't respond to all your points, not that you were referring to me when you commented on people who don't Laughing

quite

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 am

KatyKing wrote:SNUi has a forum for members. Only SNU interpretations are permitted and anything perceived as beyond the pale is excised. As found out when I posted a link on there to this forum. Now that's fair enough as it's a one party state on there. But this forum is a much loosier and goosier federation. I like that. It seems seems very 'Spiritualistic in spirit' IMHO.

Not surprising Katy the SNU nearly had apoplexy about the stand this forum took over PN. the work of Lis and I even created comments at the meeting of creditors with the first liquidator. I doubt we are the most popular forum for the NEC members.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 am

Admin wrote:
KatyKing wrote:SNUi has a forum for members. Only SNU interpretations are permitted and anything perceived as beyond the pale is excised. As found out when I posted a link on there to this forum. Now that's fair enough as it's a one party state on there. But this forum is a much loosier and goosier federation. I like that. It seems seems very 'Spiritualistic in spirit' IMHO.

Not surprising Katy the SNU nearly had apoplexy about the stand this forum took over PN. the work of Lis and I even created comments at the meeting of creditors with the first liquidator. I doubt we are the most popular forum for the NEC members.

Jim

No matter how liberal and noble our philosophies are it is still a challenge to make them real and to actually do what we say we'll do Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Hee hee. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at that liquidator meeting Jim.
Its SNUi international forum I'm on Jim. Never cancelled my SNUi membership there are some nice folks on there from all over the world. It's nothing like this forum though being all very 'party line' and moderated within an inch of its life.
Agree with you Q about philosophy without action. Best Spiritualists I know wouldn't dream of philosophising as they are too busy doing good. Being a chap I am v lazy so enjoy thinking and reading. Have resolved to at least volunteer to wash up after next Weds afternoon tea meeting.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm

"Being a LAZY chap I am v lazy so enjoy thinking and reading."

You missed out a word, accidentally suggesting that 'chaps' are naturally lazy - I just know that wasn't your intention....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Your absolutely right, Peter. The main thing is GETTING members to post in the first place.

I'd rather read something that's somewhat off-topic than have no posts at all.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:53 pm

There are lots of silent members on this forum aren't there? Having been monstered a time or two on here I wondered if the rather robust response style of some regulars might not discourage lovely lurkers from dipping their toes and posting. I don't mind it or take things personally as those sorts of attitude are welcomed in offering one the opportunity to be magnanimous but they could present as a barrier to communication for some.......
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 pm

KatyKing wrote:There are lots of silent members on this forum aren't there? Having been monstered a time or two on here I wondered if the rather robust response style of some regulars might not discourage lovely lurkers from dipping their toes and posting. I don't mind it or take things personally as those sorts of attitude are welcomed in offering one the opportunity to be magnanimous but they could present as a barrier to communication for some.......

Many people just prefer to lurk. And mundane life takes over so easily.

When I first joined I felt there was a kind of seriousness here which I both valued and found difficult. I'd often just look and not say anything.

I much prefer this forum to some others that I used to look at - because of the common interest, even though we come towards it in different ways.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:18 pm

KatyKing wrote:There are lots of silent members on this forum aren't there? Having been monstered a time or two on here I wondered if the rather robust response style of some regulars might not discourage lovely lurkers from dipping their toes and posting. I don't mind it or take things personally as those sorts of attitude are welcomed in offering one the opportunity to be magnanimous but they could present as a barrier to communication for some.......

I 'eard that,Katy!
Suspect lol!
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Best Spiritualist forum I've come across is this one. Nice mix of posters and informative too.
Via advice received from Les on here the forum has saved me a nice little wedge of money just today plus I've also picked a bit of work up.
What's not to like!
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello Petal. Is it raining out your way?
Cats and dogs all day here.
Nice to see your lovely smile on here again.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I regularly post on several, very different, websites and post less frequently on several more.

The characters of these website are very different, ranging from scarcely-able-to-challenge-anyone-for-fear-of-complaints that views are not being respected to anything-goes, quite literally to even swearing and/or personal attacks.

In all of them there is small core of regular contributors with countless others 'lurking' silently. (according to forum activity data) The upshot, then, is that no matter whether contributors are direct and challenging in their approach or namby-pamby sycophants, the ratio of writers to lurkers is always small.

This suggests to me that the suggestion: "....regulars might discourage lovely lurkers from dipping their toes and posting." is not necessarily the case....

Last edited by mac on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm

KatyKing wrote:Hello Petal. Is it raining out your way?
Cats and dogs all day here.
Nice to see your lovely smile on here again.

Pouring down now. Never stopped.
Reason being,I do not post regularly, is not quite up to standard as you guys in spiritualist matters.
Thanks for the compliment.
Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Very Happy Ah gwan with ya. You are the most gifted natural medium on here petal and ya know it.
There's them as talks and them as does.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:11 am

KatyKing wrote: Very Happy Ah gwan with ya. You are the most gifted natural medium on here petal and ya know it.
There's them as talks and them as does.

Wink
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:21 pm

KatyKing wrote: Very Happy Ah gwan with ya. You are the most gifted natural medium on here petal

Agreed there, Peter!

And glad to see you back on, Petal! Smile

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next