SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended Reading

+18
eirefox
Quiet
mac
Left Behind
nick pettitt
autumnlady
Azur
tmmw
Wotan
Skye
lyfsagerny
obiwan
Zandorf
zerdini
Admin
Martin T
hiorta
Wes
22 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Recommended Reading - Page 4 Empty Re: Recommended Reading

Post by Wes Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 am

My partner was given a kindle reader for her birthday and I'm wondering if it can read the ebooks that Jim and others have found?
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:56 am

Wes wrote:My partner was given a kindle reader for her birthday and I'm wondering if it can read the ebooks that Jim and others have found?

Take a look through Amazon's list but I'm not optimistic

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:04 am

Wes wrote:My partner was given a kindle reader for her birthday and I'm wondering if it can read the ebooks that Jim and others have found?

I've got a Kindle and it can only read books produced in the Amazon e-format. Amazon has a huge range of books, however, and she'll find plenty to satisfy. I use mine a lot because I travel to work by train, an hour each way.

I suggest that she looks at the range available and see how costs compare with paper books. Think of the benefit to trees too Smile

The Kindle can read PDFs as well, by the way.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Wes, sometimes people call any e-book readers 'kindles' but 'Kindle' is part of the Amazon brand and specific to it. It uses particular software. There are other brands of e-readers as well. Kobo is one such.

Also the iPad and iPhone have iBooks. You can also get Kindle readers to use on Apple products.

Just querying to see that I have understood you correctly.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Wes,

If it can read pdf's it should be able to read those old books providing there is a way of getting them onto the reader.

I have been waiting for the tablets to drop sufficiently in price to use them for reading and when giving talks.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks for the responses, yes it is a kindle reader, and I have been told that you can download plenty of ebooks via bit torrent but you need your pirate's hat on to do that elephant (where's the skulls and crossbones gif Jim?)

I haven't looked at what amazon has to offer in the way of spiritual ebooks but as Mac suggests, they probably won't go beyond Hay House level spirituality.

I can see the reader being a useful tool for giving talks Jim, I was always wary of readers, thinking they'd just be another tv screen to wear out your eyes on, but I am impressed by how good it looks and operates.

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:30 am

Amazon does have some good things. They have Arthur Findlay's 'On the Edge of the Etheric' for example.

You may need to do a bit of patient searching.

A lot will depend on whether material is still in print or ever made the truly mass market.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by tmmw Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Wes,

You could try archive.org. Most texts have a "kindle" format you can try. I have Kindle aplication installed on my pc and it works quite well. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=Spiritualism%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

Lynn

tmmw

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:16 pm

tmmw wrote:Hi Wes,

You could try archive.org. Most texts have a "kindle" format you can try. I have Kindle aplication installed on my pc and it works quite well. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=Spiritualism%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

Lynn

Thanks for this reference, Lynn. Very interesting material Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Oh Archive.org is a must have resource Quiet
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmmw Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 am

Quiet wrote:
tmmw wrote:Hi Wes,

Lynn

Thanks for this reference, Lynn. Very interesting material Smile

Youre welcome Quiet, just going to that link again I downloaded 4 books and started reading another, lol. Interesting books that are included in the Harry Houdini collection, worth taking a look at.

tmmw

Back to top Go down

Post by eirefox Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:09 pm

A History of Ghosts by Peter Aykroyd (the actor) was an interesting book that I have in my library. His grandparents were Spiritualists with a home circle up in Canada. He records the history of growing up in a Spiritualist family.
http://www.amazon.ca/History-Ghosts-S%C3%A9ances-Mediums-Ghostbusters/dp/1605298751

eirefox

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Anyone any feedback on Maurice Barbanell's ''The Trumpet Shall Sound''

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi Mark "The Trumpet Shall Sound" is not available in e form, although out of print now the copyright is, I believe, still held. I had to buy a copy recently at the massive sum of 28 quid but a better deal than one of the others on offer at 182 quid. It appears quite rare, however its not a long book and should be in a decent library. Now could they also have a photocopier?!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 am

Admin wrote:Hi Mark "The Trumpet Shall Sound" is not available in e form, although out of print now the copyright is, I believe, still held. I had to buy a copy recently at the massive sum of 28 quid but a better deal than one of the others on offer at 182 quid. It appears quite rare, however its not a long book and should be in a decent library. Now could they also have a photocopier?!

I wouldn't mind paying if I knew it was worth it. I take it, the book is based on direct voice, what mediums are featured in the book Jim. I've seen a few for sale in second hand bookshops online.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:08 am

Hi Mark when I get it I will let you know its somewhere between the UK and OZ as we write.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:17 am

Admin wrote:Hi Mark when I get it I will let you know its somewhere between the UK and OZ as we write.

Please do Jim, thanks. I bid you a goodnight

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Hiya,, these are some of the books I have enjoyed. i know some have been mentioned but its good to mention again.
Is there an afterlife, by david fontana. this is an easy read that covers so much different phenomena from physical mediumship to mental. but i like that it approaches things from a different angle..
Margery the medium.. Good book about margery crandon
i know Alex harris book has been mentioned but i have to say that the full book is my favourite that has been written about a physical medium... you can really feel the passion and belief in the pages.
This is spiritualism is a must read i think for any1 wanting a simple ti understand 1st book... it covers so much in a simple format.
obviously on the edge of the etheric is another must read.
its interesting if you read helen ducans book... 2 worlds plus this is spiritualism and is there an afterlife at the same time as you get a few different angles of the same story.
I really enjoyed tom harrisons book, gordon higginsons. there are so many to list..
I do have a few guilty vices though.... and have enjoyed books by stephen obrian and gordon smith..

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Good suggestions Bravo we were able to purchase the Fontana Book really cheaply and well worth a read.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Admin wrote:Hi Mark when I get it I will let you know its somewhere between the UK and OZ as we write.

Any luck Jim, did the book arrive. If so, whats your thoughts Smile

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Mark74 wrote:
Admin wrote:Hi Mark "The Trumpet Shall Sound" is not available in e form, although out of print now the copyright is, I believe, still held. I had to buy a copy recently at the massive sum of 28 quid but a better deal than one of the others on offer at 182 quid. It appears quite rare, however its not a long book and should be in a decent library. Now could they also have a photocopier?!

I wouldn't mind paying if I knew it was worth it. I take it, the book is based on direct voice, what mediums are featured in the book Jim. I've seen a few for sale in second hand bookshops online.

Hi Mark74

Our copy of The Trumpet Shall Sound by Maurice Barbanell has finally arrived! The book is about the Direct Voice seances held in the house of the medium, Estelle Roberts. The seances were always held in darkness. The ordinary tin trumpets had phosphorescent paint around the broad end and were seen to move around the room as they moved towards a sitter when a communicator from the spirit world wished to speak to them and provide evidence of their survival. The communications were recorded by a short-hand writer who was placed in a small partitioned off alcove in the seance room with a red light to enable them to see to write down what was said.A most interesting little book!

Lis

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie K Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:24 pm

im new to this forum, but i found it because of this link, im searching everywhere for this book "the trumpet shall sound" is there anywhere i havent checked lol and was hoping there might be some suggestions from you guys

thanx in advance

charlie

Charlie K

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Charlie,

I had to check around the usual internet book sellers to find the copy I bought. Depending where you are it is in some libraries.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/trumpet-shall-sound/oclc/22362466&referer=brief_results
It appears that the book may be out of stock with on line sellers at teh moment so it will take some watching out for.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie K Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 am

thanx, I'm from Harlow in Essex
i have been looking for about 18 months.
im sure i will get my copy when im ment to Smile

Charlie K

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 pm

I have noticed that some ebooks which are not downloadable can be borrowed from open library. Worth joining http://openlibrary.org/ search on Spiritualism the books you can borrow are marked Read.

Its strange to find after the borrowing term expires the book is automatically returned to the shelf for someone else to borrow.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next