SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended Reading

+18
eirefox
Quiet
mac
Left Behind
nick pettitt
autumnlady
Azur
tmmw
Wotan
Skye
lyfsagerny
obiwan
Zandorf
zerdini
Admin
Martin T
hiorta
Wes
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Recommended Reading - Page 3 Empty Re: Recommended Reading

Post by Azur Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:45 am

Must mention Grace Cooke's White Eagle, The Illumined Ones, The New Mediumship, The Quiet Mind, The Wisdom of White Eagle and one of my White Eagle favorite's The Light Bringer

Here's an extract from The Light Bringer -

"The great need you have at present, is to understand that you have an inner spiritual life, and an outer worldly life. It is essential that all of you begin to develop your spiritual part. You have pure spirit within your own being. You are all on the earth to develop your spirit, which lies buried beneath many coverings, physical, mental, emotional. There is something very grand within all humans. You have been given tools in this life to enable you to shape that perfect figure of the son, the sun of god, the christ being. You do not really grasp that within you is something more precious, more beautiful, more wonderful than you have ever conceived. Occasionally you hear of a reflection or a manifestation of that glory coming in flashes through great people, and of course through those whom you call masters. You see through them the radiance, the glory, the beauty of the divine life. You think to worship, but never to draw near to that being. You worship from afar instead of taking hold of yourself and working to perfect your own character and your own; so that it becomes fitted for that same divine spirit to manifest through you to all creatures. This is the whole purpose of your life".
White Eagle's teachings never fail to move me!

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Has anyone read Mechanics of Mediumship by Ivy Northage, I have been trying to get my hands on one for ages, but they have been long out of print.

There are a few online, at amazon and abebooks, but the sellers are charging alot, the cheapest going for £69.99 pounds.

I bought Mediumship Made Simple some time ago as was told this is an up to date of Mechanics of Mediumship, but I don't think that is true.

It amazes me why the spiritualist establishment allow these books to stay out of print. Shocked

Anyone got any feed back as to what the book exactly entails, anyone want to sell me one for cheaper price Laughing Laughing

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:16 pm

[quote="Admin"]I agree with you Azur, you have reminded me of a book I should add to that elibrary.

Jim
[/quo

Good man Smile

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 pm

I have to say that "The Curse of Ignorance" was a rambling rant IMHO. However his other books are well worth reading.

I read Hugh Dowding's "Lychgate" and it was interesting, mainly because of who he was.

Although not evidential, Silver Birch's sayings are about the most sensible I have read on the subject of life anywhere.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:08 pm

I just came across a book entitled

''My Experience, or Foot-prints of a Presbyterian to Spiritualism''

Checked it on amazon and it's available to look inside, anyone here read it. It's an old book, always the best ones.

Oh I am tempted to buy Laughing

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by nick pettitt Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:29 am

another excellent book..... 'The Boy Who Saw True'..... the diary of a young Victorian boy born with clairvoyance who failed to realize that others were not similarly gifted.... Very Happy

nick pettitt

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 am

Azur wrote:I just came across a book entitled

Checked it on amazon and it's available to look inside, anyone here read it. It's an old book, always the best ones.

Yes, Azur, I have it. The language is old-fashioned but I admit I like the old books on Spiritualism anyway.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:21 am

nick pettitt wrote:another excellent book..... 'The Boy Who Saw True'..... the diary of a young Victorian boy born with clairvoyance who failed to realize that others were not similarly gifted.... Very Happy

Another excellent book!

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm

zerdini wrote:
nick pettitt wrote:another excellent book..... 'The Boy Who Saw True'..... the diary of a young Victorian boy born with clairvoyance who failed to realize that others were not similarly gifted.... Very Happy

Another excellent book!

I agree it's a very good book.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 pm

zerdini wrote:
Azur wrote:I just came across a book entitled

Yes, Azur, I have it. The language is old-fashioned but I admit I like the old books on Spiritualism anyway.

Love the old-fashioned language in the books by spiritualism, it gives more than todays books.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Precipitated Spirit Paintings which features the work of Lizze and May Bangs and the Campbell brothers is an excellent book, one of my favorites.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Azur wrote:Precipitated Spirit Paintings which features the work of Lizze and May Bangs and the Campbell brothers is an excellent book, one of my favorites.

I wrote an article on the Bangs Sisters which I have appended here:

At the Hett Memorial Art Gallery and Museum at Camp Chesterfield are to be seen some of Spiritualism's greatest "miracles", the precipitated portraits obtained through the astounding mediumship of two sisters, Elizabeth and May Bangs.

They worked in daylight, and under test conditions, in front of sitters or the audience.

Two identical, paper-mounted canvases were held, face-to-face, against a window. The lower halves rested on a table. Each sister, with one hand, held the sides.

A short curtain was hung on either side. Then an opaque blind was drawn over the canvases.

"The light streamed from behind the canvases, which were translucent. After 15 minutes the outline of shadows began to appear and disappear as the invisible artist made a preliminary sketch. Then the pictures began to grow at a feverish rate.

"When the pictures were separated, the portrait was found on the canvas surface next to the sitters. Though the paint was greasy and stuck to the finger on being touched, it left no stain on the paper which covered closely the other canvas."

In their later development, the portraits were precipitated as if by airbrush, which was not then invented. Only one canvas was used. Some portraits were finished in five minutes.

Art experts were mystified. They could not explain the substance used. The portraits are not pastels, charcoal, watercolours, or any known material. "It could be compared to the dust on a butterfly's wings."

Though these portraits are over 100 years old, the hues are as beautiful as when they were first executed.

Mostly they are portraits of sitters' "dead" relatives, friends or guides. In one picture the sitter appeared on the canvas with his"dead" wife and twin daughters.

Here is a testimony to the Bangs Sisters by Lyman C. Howe:

“Reluctantly leaving Buffalo and my good friends there, I made my way to Chicago and visited the rooms of the Bangs sisters. I made the acquaintance of Mr Sharpneck and heard his story of the most remarkable phenomenon I have ever recorded.

“I have seen materialisations by the hundred; some unmistakably genuine, some a little mixed, some of the doubtful variety and some unqualified frauds.

“I have witnessed independent slate writing, passing of coin between closed slates, handling and eating fire by entranced mediums,"miraculous healing", the disappearance and reappearance of a medium sitting within three feet of me, while it was demonstrated that she did not move, and many other startling phenomena.

“But none of them equal, in my judgment, the wonderfully perfect life-size picture with the most exquisitely arranged background in most delicately combined colours, symbols, wreaths, palms, columns, vase of flowers etc., that I saw at Sharpneck's room.

“The moment I saw it I was thrilled with reverent emotion, and transfixed with wonder, admiration and thanksgiving. Then I saw the box in which it was made, and heard all the details of the preparation from the lips of Mr and Mrs Sharpneck – parents of the child Blanche, who is the central figure in the picture.

“The box was made to order under his immediate supervision. The canvas, too, was made to his order – four by six feet. The box opens like a book in the centre, and was locked with four padlocks. The mediums never saw the canvas or box until they were set up in Sharpneck's room. They did not even touch either canvas or box, but stood several feet away when they were called in to inspect them.

“In that box, closed and padlocked, and with Sharpneck holding all the keys in existence to two of the locks, the mediums holding keys to the other two, so that neither could open the box without the presence of both parties, the miracle was performed.

“The sittings were all in the room occupied by Sharpneck and his wife. They never left the room, except to go for meals, and then always locked the door and took the key with them. In that box, thus securely locked,with every screwhead covered, so that it was impossible to turn a screw without first removing the locks, this marvellous picture was created on that clean, white canvas in less than six hours.

“The picture of the girl is true to life, I have no more doubt of all this than if I were present every moment and prepared the canvas and the box myself. Our picture was made without the touch of a mortal hand or any visible paints or colouring material, and is a perfect likeness of the daughter.

“It is the most amazing thing to me that any intelligent person can be indifferent to the stupendous fact, and the significance it has for the whole world. This phenomenon defies suspicion. It challenges the world. No sceptic can evade or explain it.

“It is physical and shows the highest artistic skill. It involves mentality far beyond anything known to incarnate life. Sharpneck has had many artists to examine this picture. The verdict is, 'If I could do it at all, it would take me a week to outline it.' Another said, 'I would require at least three months labour to finish such a picture.'

“Yet it was done inside of six hours, by unseen artists, while the canvas was securely closed in a strong tight box, impossible for any earthly hand to touch.

“It does not walk or talk (audibly), but it is the most perfect materialisation I have ever seen; for it stays, and can be seen and studied from day to day and year to year.”

UK forum members may like to know that two original paintings are on view at Portsmouth Temple of Spiritualism, Hampshire. They were formerly in the possession of Vice-Admiral Usborne Moore who sat with the Bangs Sisters and also wrote those two excellent books on survival called 'TheVoices' and 'Glimpses of the Next State'.

POSTSCRIPT: At a physical séance many years ago May Bangs came and spoke to an American visitor who had done a lot of research on them. Just before she left I asked her if she had ever found out the names of the spirit artists who had painted through their mediumship. She replied that she had and that the two main artists were Raphael and Leonardo da Vinci.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

zerdini wrote:
Azur wrote:Precipitated Spirit Paintings which features the work of Lizze and May Bangs and the Campbell brothers is an excellent book, one of my favorites.

I wrote an article on the Bangs Sisters which I have appended here:

At the Hett Memorial Art Gallery and Museum at Camp Chesterfield are to be seen some of Spiritualism's greatest "miracles", the precipitated portraits obtained through the astounding mediumship of two sisters, Elizabeth and May Bangs.

They worked in daylight, and under test conditions, in front of sitters or the audience.

Two identical, paper-mounted canvases were held, face-to-face, against a window. The lower halves rested on a table. Each sister, with one hand, held the sides.

A short curtain was hung on either side. Then an opaque blind was drawn over the canvases.

"The light streamed from behind the canvases, which were translucent. After 15 minutes the outline of shadows began to appear and disappear as the invisible artist made a preliminary sketch. Then the pictures began to grow at a feverish rate.

"When the pictures were separated, the portrait was found on the canvas surface next to the sitters. Though the paint was greasy and stuck to the finger on being touched, it left no stain on the paper which covered closely the other canvas."

In their later development, the portraits were precipitated as if by airbrush, which was not then invented. Only one canvas was used. Some portraits were finished in five minutes.

Art experts were mystified. They could not explain the substance used. The portraits are not pastels, charcoal, watercolours, or any known material. "It could be compared to the dust on a butterfly's wings."

Though these portraits are over 100 years old, the hues are as beautiful as when they were first executed.

Mostly they are portraits of sitters' "dead" relatives, friends or guides. In one picture the sitter appeared on the canvas with his"dead" wife and twin daughters.

Here is a testimony to the Bangs Sisters by Lyman C. Howe:

“Reluctantly leaving Buffalo and my good friends there, I made my way to Chicago and visited the rooms of the Bangs sisters. I made the acquaintance of Mr Sharpneck and heard his story of the most remarkable phenomenon I have ever recorded.

“I have seen materialisations by the hundred; some unmistakably genuine, some a little mixed, some of the doubtful variety and some unqualified frauds.

“I have witnessed independent slate writing, passing of coin between closed slates, handling and eating fire by entranced mediums,"miraculous healing", the disappearance and reappearance of a medium sitting within three feet of me, while it was demonstrated that she did not move, and many other startling phenomena.

“But none of them equal, in my judgment, the wonderfully perfect life-size picture with the most exquisitely arranged background in most delicately combined colours, symbols, wreaths, palms, columns, vase of flowers etc., that I saw at Sharpneck's room.

“The moment I saw it I was thrilled with reverent emotion, and transfixed with wonder, admiration and thanksgiving. Then I saw the box in which it was made, and heard all the details of the preparation from the lips of Mr and Mrs Sharpneck – parents of the child Blanche, who is the central figure in the picture.

“The box was made to order under his immediate supervision. The canvas, too, was made to his order – four by six feet. The box opens like a book in the centre, and was locked with four padlocks. The mediums never saw the canvas or box until they were set up in Sharpneck's room. They did not even touch either canvas or box, but stood several feet away when they were called in to inspect them.

“In that box, closed and padlocked, and with Sharpneck holding all the keys in existence to two of the locks, the mediums holding keys to the other two, so that neither could open the box without the presence of both parties, the miracle was performed.

“The sittings were all in the room occupied by Sharpneck and his wife. They never left the room, except to go for meals, and then always locked the door and took the key with them. In that box, thus securely locked,with every screwhead covered, so that it was impossible to turn a screw without first removing the locks, this marvellous picture was created on that clean, white canvas in less than six hours.

“The picture of the girl is true to life, I have no more doubt of all this than if I were present every moment and prepared the canvas and the box myself. Our picture was made without the touch of a mortal hand or any visible paints or colouring material, and is a perfect likeness of the daughter.

“It is the most amazing thing to me that any intelligent person can be indifferent to the stupendous fact, and the significance it has for the whole world. This phenomenon defies suspicion. It challenges the world. No sceptic can evade or explain it.

“It is physical and shows the highest artistic skill. It involves mentality far beyond anything known to incarnate life. Sharpneck has had many artists to examine this picture. The verdict is, 'If I could do it at all, it would take me a week to outline it.' Another said, 'I would require at least three months labour to finish such a picture.'

“Yet it was done inside of six hours, by unseen artists, while the canvas was securely closed in a strong tight box, impossible for any earthly hand to touch.

“It does not walk or talk (audibly), but it is the most perfect materialisation I have ever seen; for it stays, and can be seen and studied from day to day and year to year.”

UK forum members may like to know that two original paintings are on view at Portsmouth Temple of Spiritualism, Hampshire. They were formerly in the possession of Vice-Admiral Usborne Moore who sat with the Bangs Sisters and also wrote those two excellent books on survival called 'TheVoices' and 'Glimpses of the Next State'.

POSTSCRIPT: At a physical séance many years ago May Bangs came and spoke to an American visitor who had done a lot of research on them. Just before she left I asked her if she had ever found out the names of the spirit artists who had painted through their mediumship. She replied that she had and that the two main artists were Raphael and Leonardo da Vinci.

Great article, thanks for sharing z.

The Campbell brothers had five spirit-controls/inspirers, the main one being Azur (outstanding painting) hangs in the maple hotel in the Lily Dale camp. They had four other inspirers, but names where never given.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

The Campbell Brothers were not really brothers. The Brothers were a gay couple in a time when differences in sexual orientation were less tolerated. However, I don't feel they were in the same class as the Bangs Sisters.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by nick pettitt Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:33 pm

another oldie but goodie.... After Death-What?..... Researches in Hypnotic and Spiritualistic Phenomena, Cesare Lombroso, 1909. ghost

nick pettitt

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:04 pm

zerdini wrote:

The Campbell Brothers were not really brothers. The Brothers were a gay couple in a time when differences in sexual orientation were less tolerated. However, I don't feel they were in the same class as the Bangs Sisters.

I know this, Charles Stourds and Allen Campbell, and I agree Bang sisters work was much higher standard.

Herne and Williams where another gay couple.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm

nick pettitt wrote:another oldie but goodie.... After Death-What?..... Researches in Hypnotic and Spiritualistic Phenomena, Cesare Lombroso, 1909. ghost

Cesare Lombroso was an Italian university professor and criminologist - an excellent book.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 pm

A Treatsie on Physical Mediumship is another excellent book, by Ethel Post-Parrish.

Mediumship, Ectoplasm, Telekinesis And Spirit Writing. Vibration and Direct Voice, Apports, Psychic Photography, Laying on of Hands and Materialization is covered in her book. Highly recommend.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Azur wrote:A Treatsie on Physical Mediumship is another excellent book, by Ethel Post-Parrish.

Mediumship, Ectoplasm, Telekinesis And Spirit Writing. Vibration and Direct Voice, Apports, Psychic Photography, Laying on of Hands and Materialization is covered in her book. Highly recommend.

I have had this booklet for some years, Azur.

May I suggest you read through the physical mediumship thread on this forum as you will find a number of references to Ethel Post-Parrish and her guide Silver Belle some of which you may not have read before. Wink Smile

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 am

zerdini wrote:
Azur wrote:A Treatsie on Physical Mediumship is another excellent book, by Ethel Post-Parrish.

I have had this booklet for some years, Azur.

May I suggest you read through the physical mediumship thread on this forum as you will find a number of references to Ethel Post-Parrish and her guide Silver Belle some of which you may not have read before. Wink Smile

Will do thanks

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm

The Story of Helen Duncan: Materialisation Medium by Alan Crossley is also excellent.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Azur wrote:The Story of Helen Duncan: Materialisation Medium by Alan Crossley is also excellent.

There are many books about Helen Duncan.

I knew Alan Crossley personally as he was a former President of the Noah's Ark Society and sat with him and Stuart Adamson (aka Alexander) in Alan's home.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:12 pm

zerdini wrote:
Azur wrote:The Story of Helen Duncan: Materialisation Medium by Alan Crossley is also excellent.

There are many books about Helen Duncan.

I knew Alan Crossley personally as he was a former President of the Noah's Ark Society and sat with him and Stuart Adamson (aka Alexander) in Alan's home.

There are many great books I agree z.

I didn't know Alan would have loved to z, I heard he was a lovely man. Stuart Adamson, I know Stewart Alexander the physical medium.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by nick pettitt Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:59 pm

don't think this one's been mentioned yet... 'The Airmen Who Would Not Die by John G. Fuller' featuring the mediumship of Eileen Garrett and circumstances surrounding the crash of the R101 airship...

nick pettitt

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 am

Findlay's On the Edge of the Etheric

Barbanell's This Is Spiritualism
Spiritualism Today

A Spiritualist (Church) Manual
from the General Assembly of Spiritualists

Boddington's University of Spiritualism

Any and all of the Anthony Borgia / Monsignor Benson books:
Life in the World Unseen
More on Life in the World Unseen
Here and Hereafter

Mac asked me to do a newbie's review of what I've read so far: and I will, once my ankle is healed and I'm able to walk around the house freely and gather everything together.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next