SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developing physical medium

+3
mac
obiwan
Bev Davey
7 posters

Go down

Developing physical medium Empty Developing physical medium

Post by Bev Davey Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Paul held a "trance night" some months ago - here are my thoughts on the event:

20 or so of us attended by invitation/ticket. We were allocated seats in the circle but were first given an introductory talk by Claire – the circle leader.

The hall had been completely blacked out, and we were told that the séance would be mostly in total darkness, with the occasional use of a red light when necessary. We were all required to remove our shoes and had to leave personal belongings, including watches and jewellery outside the circle.

I have no reason to doubt the integrity of Paul or any of the circle members – they have been sitting regularly for quite some time in order for Paul to develop his trance. He is a medium, having suddenly become aware of the spirit world following an operation as a child. The events I witnessed could easily be reproduced by a trickster – but what would be the motive? I have known Paul and Claire from many years attending the same church. A charge was made for attendance, but this was to cover expenses, with the remainder going to charity. Whilst I am a sceptic, I took this experimental evening at face value, and am recording my observations.

We had allocated seating, and took our places about 7.45. We were all searched on entering the circle. Within the circle, on the floor, were two séance trumpets (with luminous bands) and a football (with luminous patches) plus a bell and some small toys. A circle member had created a “cabinet” for Paul to sit in. It was constructed from one wide internal door at the rear and four standard internal doors joined together along each side – there was a fabric covering over the top, and a curtain at the front. It was positioned to one side of the circle. Within this was eventually placed a fireside-type arm chair with a seat and back pad. Paul entered the circle wearing just a light track suit – two members of our group, who had not attended Paul’s séances before were asked to search him, and to secure him to the chair with cable ties around each wrist and arm-rest and around each ankle and the chair legs. Loops had been screwed to the chair to facilitate this.

The curtain was closed and Claire opened the proceedings in prayer, then played some music. The red light was now turned off.

We had been told to expect Paul to go into a deep trance, and for spirit persons to try to use his voice-box to communicate. Spirit side communicators for the circle were George (an educated man); Clive (who they called the doctor); Thomas (manifesting as a ten-year old child); Storm Cloud – Paul’s main guide (a native American Indian) and Able, who was considered a “high guide”

Fairly quickly, the first voice was heard. Thomas. He seemed to be a cheeky chap whose main purpose was to raise the vibrations and get people laughing – he was certainly successful in that. Other communicators came through and said a few words. Being a bit deaf I am afraid I did not catch everything. It was explained why we had to remove our shoes (dirty particles from outside could be brought in, and when the ectoplasm produced during the circle re-entered Paul’s body they could be carried in too, and cause problems). Occasionally, the communicant asked Claire to switch on the red light, open the curtain, and check that Paul was ok. The spirit people came and went, at times speaking at the same time. A couple of messages were relayed to sitters, and on at least one occasion were given direct. Sarah (one of the group) had her father speak to her directly, though rather feint, not using Paul’s voice-box – known as Direct Voice Phenomena.

Thomas spoke to me, and I was having a bit of difficulty hearing and understanding him. There was a bit of chit-chat about my dog (Paul had seen me with Rosie during the previous week) and about how I was.

At various times in the séance the ball, in particular, and the two trumpets were moved around the floor. All the while there were various knocking/tapping noises within the hall. At times a dark pink mist seemed to be present.

Another occasion arose when Claire was asked to check on Paul. She put on the red light and we were all amazed to see that the entire cabinet was now in the middle of the room. Soon Thomas came back and said “I’ve moved closer to you Bev so you can hear me” Plenty of laughter from the group at that

A later check on Paul revealed the pad from the back of his chair was on the floor, and his shirt had been removed – now just round his wrists. We were told by (George?) that Paul was getting too hot.

All the while the communicants were talking - relaying messages and expressing themselves. At one time Thomas asked a cheeky question of one of the sitters, who replied “you’re too young for me to tell you that, to which Thomas reposted “I’m three hundred years old” More laughter! (We had been told that he died as a child).

George came through and spoke at some depth about the trance work before bidding us farewell – the others also took their leave. Then there was a thump. Claire was asked to play some music whilst Paul came out of the trance and eventually the red light was put on. The cabinet was now back where it had been. Claire opened the curtain to check on Paul and we were all able to see that the chair in which he was secured had been completely turned round (no room to have done that within the cabinet itself).

Paul came too, and I asked him if he had any recollections of the séance – he had none. He said he heard the music, then seemed to be lifted away and knew no more until that moment. He had been in deep trance for 2 hours and 40 minutes. (The longest Paul had ever been in trance)

A very interesting and enjoyable evening! Like all séances, it was an experiment, and progress is sure to be made with direct voice and, hopefully, materialisation. I look forward to the next occasion.

Bev Davey

Back to top Go down

Developing physical medium Empty Re: Developing physical medium

Post by obiwan Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 pm

I'm a bit confused.

Why is darkness required for trance? Trance isn't usually classed as physical mediumship.

How do you know when the independent direct voice was used and when the medium's voice of was used?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:47 am

Bev Davey wrote:Paul held a "trance night" some months ago - here are my thoughts on the event:

I have no reason to doubt the integrity of Paul or any of the circle members – they have been sitting regularly for quite some time in order for Paul to develop his trance.   He is a medium, having suddenly become aware of the spirit world following an operation as a child.   The events I witnessed could easily be reproduced by a trickster – but what would be the motive?   I have known Paul and Claire from many years attending the same church.   A charge was made for attendance, but this was to cover expenses, with the remainder going to charity.   Whilst I am a sceptic, I took this experimental evening at face value, and am recording my observations.

We had allocated seating...

I'm not doubting your medium, his motives or the details in your report and I'm responding only to your question in the emphasised section above.  Who knows what the motives of a trickster might be?  They could be many and diverse and only an actual trickster could say what they were, something that's probably unlikely to happen.  

It's a sad fact, though, that a good trickster's ways may appear authentic so it's wise to remain cautious when someone isn't well known to you personally.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Davey Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:38 am

I totally agree Mac.   Any decent conjurer/magician could replicate what occurs in a seance by trickery, so it is a rare privilege to actually witness Spirit at work.   Paul is holding another semi-public seance this month, and I intend to go.
Obiwan, darkness is not required for trance, but seems to be a pre-requisite to physical mediumship - and in turn this seems to require that the medium be in deep trance.   There have been physical seances held in the light, but I have not witnessed them.   Paul was inside the cabinet, and voices were heard to come from other locations, so it was quite easy to distinguish when his own voice box was being used

Bev Davey

Back to top Go down

Post by normy Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:21 am

Bev Davey wrote:I totally agree Mac.   Any decent conjurer/magician could replicate what occurs in a seance by trickery, so it is a rare privilege to actually witness Spirit at work.   Paul is holding another semi-public seance this month, and I intend to go.
Obiwan, darkness is not required for trance, but seems to be a pre-requisite to physical mediumship - and in turn this seems to require that the medium be in deep trance.   There have been physical seances held in the light, but I have not witnessed them.   Paul was inside the cabinet, and voices were heard to come from other locations, so it was quite easy to distinguish when his own voice box was being used

Physical mediumship has been demonstrated when not in deep trance, by both past-age mediums and some more modern ones.
normy
normy

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Bev Davey wrote:I totally agree Mac.   Any decent conjurer/magician could replicate what occurs in a seance by trickery, so it is a rare privilege to actually witness Spirit at work.   Paul is holding another semi-public seance this month, and I intend to go.

Thanks Bev. I recall Leslie Flint wasn't usually in trance at all for his physical mediumship ie the independent direct voice and in fact there seem to be examples of him actually joining in the discussions with purported communicators, so I presume  you mean this medium needed to be in trance.

What was the evidential content of the mediumship in your view Bev?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by normy Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:24 am

Bev. am I right in thinking that the communicators all spoke through Paul in trance, except the one faint independent direct voice you mentioned? Did any of the communicators give evidence of their identity, to anyone who was present and knew them in physical life?
normy
normy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Davey Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:07 pm

As I made clear at the start, Paul is a developing medium, and a lot of what happened was experimental. As far as I can recall, there was some verbal evidence given and accepted, and things were moved around independently of the sitters and medium.

Bev Davey

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 am

[quote="obiwan"]
Bev Davey wrote:  Any decent conjurer/magician could replicate what occurs in a seance by trickery,

This opening statement and this closing question are the gist of any séance or display of mediumship. A trickster can put on an interesting show. Only a medium can provide evidence that could not have been obtained from any earthly source.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Left Behind wrote:
obiwan wrote:
Bev Davey wrote:  Any decent conjurer/magician could replicate what occurs in a seance by trickery,

This opening statement and this closing question are the gist of any séance or display of mediumship. A trickster can put on an interesting show. Only a medium can provide evidence that could not have been obtained from any earthly source.

I agree. I'm not saying at all that the medium did put in a show, but without evidential content it's an easy target.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:42 am

Bev Davey wrote:Obiwan, darkness is not required for trance, but seems to be a pre-requisite to physical mediumship - and in turn this seems to require that the medium be in deep trance.   There have been physical seances held in the light, but I have not witnessed them.  

Hi Bev, this was not always the case materialisation has changed to being only in the dark, this was not how full form materialisation really started. Unfortunately the transition to darkness coincided with a great increase in fraud. Indeed if you look around this thread you will see the decision to ban dark séances in 1882 ( https://www.spiritualismlink.com/t2043-light-magazine-and-psychological-review-against-dark-seances#16351 ). As you can see this was supported by an impressive list of mediums.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Lyzell Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 am

Hi Bev - intresting - ho is Paul ?

and thanks fore sharing - I agree whit the others - why trance in a physical cirkel at al ?

It feels that this Paul are putting him self oute fare to erlie in public . it is not developt jett.
Jane Lyzell
Jane Lyzell

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Davey Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Paul put on another seance last Saturday, and things have developed quite well. Most of the communication was "direct voice", and things, including Paul (secured in his chair) and the cabinet itself, were all moved about the room. He only does three semi-public seances a year, but sits in circle twice a week for the required development.

Bev Davey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down