SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychic News: sure doing something right!

4 posters

Go down

Psychic News: sure doing something right! Empty Psychic News: sure doing something right!

Post by Left Behind Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 pm

We Spiritualists are often bemoaning the alleged hard times upon which we've fallen: but Psychic News is certainly going against any negative trend. I don't remember their old newspaper format, since I became interested in Spiritualism just about the time (around December 2011, if I recall correctly) when the publication reincarnated in magazine format.

They went from a twice-monthly 'world's thinnest magazine' into an attractive and glossy 67-page monthly. They also seem to have found the right formula: primarily Spiritualism, but with the right mix of New Age, celebrity gossip, and spooky ghost stories to appeal to a wider readership. They're also pushing heavily into the US market where I understand they're available in the Barnes & Noble bookstore chain.

Last edited by Left Behind on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Psychic News: sure doing something right! Empty Re: Psychic News: sure doing something right!

Post by mac Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:29 pm

I hope PN does well but for me it's not a patch on the weekly newspaper I looked forward to so much when I was just beginning to learn about survival - over 30 years ago now.

But PN can only report what's going on and it appears to me that in Modern Spiritualism nothing much is going on. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur and we know what happened to them!

mac

Back to top Go down

Psychic News: sure doing something right! Empty Re: Psychic News: sure doing something right!

Post by Left Behind Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Well, we are where we are, Mac. We just have to proceed with whatever we have. I would love to have been involved with Spiritualism 30 or 40 or 50 years ago: but then, even then, I'm sure that it had lost momentum from the glory days following the Great War, when many thought that it would soon become the biggest church denomination or spiritual movement in the UK.

But still, our ideas are getting out there. Look how many people today have come to belief in the afterlife by having a near-death experience or by reading about them?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:05 am

Left Behind wrote:Well, we are where we are, Mac. We just have to proceed with whatever we have. I would love to have been involved with Spiritualism 30 or 40 or 50 years ago: but then, even then, I'm sure that it had lost momentum from the glory days following the Great War, when many thought that it would soon become the biggest church denomination or spiritual movement in the UK.

But still, our ideas are getting out there. Look how many people today have come to belief in the afterlife by having a near-death experience or by reading about them?

I agree with what you're saying, J, and while I'm sad to see the approaching end of the Spiritualist movement I feel privileged I 'made it' just in time to have known some of the individuals who once beat the drum so loudly.

It does seem that this modern world is now more persuaded about our survival by accounts of near-death and out-of-body-experiences.  The quality of mediumship, as we Spiritualists understand it, seems to be at an all time low.  The shenanigans from certain performers claiming to be physical mediums does nothing to improve that situation although they're nothing new. I expect there will be a place for mental mediumship in the future but not how it used to be.

Some are claiming that electronic communication ('Instrumental Communication with Stations') with departed loved ones will soon be a reality.  It's claimed that our unseen friends and scientists of yesteryear are working hard to refine communication systems already in operation and significant progress and improvements in clarity have been promised, as soon as in the new year.  We'll see.  If it happens it could be a game-changer.  EVP has been around for decades but remains a niche interest.  The new way promises personal contact rather than needing a third party go-between.  We'll see.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Spiritualism has evolved beyond recognition in this period, as I see it. Gone are the days where it was thought that the folk who 'dabbled' were otherwise harmless, but a bit soft in the head.
The mediums of that time were superb exponents, with a courage above and beyond that called for, as they were often arrested for their beliefs, appearing in court the following day. Local newspapers joyously indulged in the demonising of those individuals, giving lurid details of imaginary happenings at 'clandestine meetings with the devil.' All for a few coppers of a fee.
I served for a few years as Treasurer of the Glasgow Association of Spiritualists and know first hand that of most of the attending Mediums, few if any profited financially from their efforts. Indeed, many handed their meagre fee to the first 'poor soul' they chanced to meet afterwards.

Like other things, Spiritualism has developed and grown, now generally accepted without fuss as speaking Truth of Life beyond physical death. Opposing views have subsided, pointing to the success of the early workers. There is barely a village in Scotland that does not have its 'spooky meetings'. This huge demand brings its own difficulties of supply, but this is tempered by the growth in understanding of the process and by an increase in direct contact.

The impatient do pursue gimmicky means, but like a good malt, development cannot be hurried - fortunately.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:59 pm

We all just need to remain positive in our outlook, 'keep the faith', so to speak, and get the word out whenever we can.

Just a few minutes ago I was speaking with Dr. Jeffrey Long, who is probably the preeminent near-death researcher in the world today: and told him that reading about the near-death experience brought me to Spiritualism, and urged him to look into it. He probably thought I was a kook, but I don't care! Very Happy Dr. Long was speaking at a local church.

But as I said about PN: they're certainly a light at the end of a tunnel. Which, come to think of it: so are the NDE's. Laughing

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:04 pm

hiorta wrote:There is barely a village in Scotland that does not have its 'spooky meetings'. This huge demand brings its own difficulties of supply, but this is tempered by the growth in understanding of the process and by an increase in direct contact.

The impatient do pursue gimmicky means, but like a good malt, development cannot be hurried - fortunately.

I really do wish it were anything remotely like this here in New Orleans, Hiorta. There's not a Spiritualist church anywhere in the state of Louisiana, or next-door Mississippi, either.

Ardbeg's a great malt. Wink

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:07 pm

hiorta wrote:Spiritualism has evolved beyond recognition in this period, as I see it. Gone are the days where it was thought that the folk who 'dabbled' were otherwise harmless, but a bit soft in the head.
The mediums of that time were superb exponents, with a courage above and beyond that called for, as they were often arrested for their beliefs, appearing in court the following day. Local newspapers joyously indulged in the demonising of those individuals, giving lurid details of imaginary happenings at 'clandestine meetings with the devil.' All for a few coppers of a fee.
I served for a few years as Treasurer of the Glasgow Association of Spiritualists and know first hand that of most of the attending Mediums, few if any profited financially from their efforts. Indeed, many handed their meagre fee to the first 'poor soul' they chanced to meet afterwards.

I don't know whether he attracted any serious opposition: but your description of the good character of these mediums of old made me think of your wonderful Glasgow medium, John Campbell Sloan.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:47 pm

It seems that he didn't, not surprising really given the status of Arthur Findlay at the time.
Both Findlay and the good doctor behind the Sherlock Holmes stories were openly supportive of Spiritualism and Mediumship in those days before the repeal of the Witchcraft Act - 1951 (from faltering memory).
Neither were ever troubled by the authorities of the day, as I understand it.

hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:28 am

Yes: Arthur Findlay and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were good men to have in your camp. Smile

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:09 am

Left Behind wrote:Yes: Arthur Findlay and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were good men to have in your camp. Smile

Well Jim we had so many good and eminent people in our camp at one time. Indeed, even after the schism with the Society of Psychical Research, (which in its original form included many eminent Spiritualists who left in protest over the excessive skepticism of some committee members and researchers especially over the negative findings on William Eglinton) Spiritualism continued to attract them and continued its own active stance on investigation and research. The list is very long, think Lodge, Crookes, Cromwell Varley, the Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mckenzie King. Its a long and varied list.

Sadly we have lost our ability to connect with their like. Indeed what happens in too many centers is unlikely to rebuild a bridge to them poor talks, woolly thinking about what Spiritualism is or represents and psychism or effectively fortune telling rather than proof of survival as the demonstration ( I have heard a center that does well as Karaoke, sing along, with psycism, no mention of Spirit some times, people seem to love it). However, how many will undertake the years of training and hard work to rectify this when the shortage of medium sees newcomers become international mediums within 2 years, without any strong link, just I have this man in this area and no depth of philosophical understanding to support a talk. Nearly 7 years on as the leader of a centre and 14 years running a development group I have seen a handful who could but left, some who have worked hard and are getting there and a few who are getting a name who shouldn't. On top are the myriad of psychics who are and do teh right things, area mix of their own subconscious and psychic who do the wrong type of extraordinary things (quite harmful to clients at times) and some who do it but nothing is real.

At times when i watch what goes on in our wider arena I actually wonder if the world would be better with a ban on all psychic work because we are nowhere near being able to give guarantees about the standards that people may expect to get from those who work in it. They also have widespread misconceptions of what to expect, one of our committee is a professional reader and 75% of her clients want love life and future events readings not loved one's. Fine if the reader understands the limitations and ethics of the psychic ability but not if they extend its range by the power of their mind.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:02 am

Maybe it's becoming a case of 'right-for-the-wrong-reasons'?  

Those attracted by NDE,  OOBE, Past Life Regression, Phenomenalism and/or simple Psychism may draw comfort that we all survive death of the body and live on elsewhere.  I wonder if it really matters that they confuse information obtained psychically with that of mediumship?  

I'm sure some here will know I'm a 'dyed-in-the-wool' Modern Spiritualist and would much prefer seekers to find evidence through mediumship of their loved ones as a means of persuasion about survival.  But it's not the only way and as John Lennon used to sing "Whatever gets you through the night's alright, alright."  Or to put it differently 'More ways to skin a cat than one'.

I've made the point on a number of occasions that I have never experienced personal evidential mediumship but psychism led me in and from simple beginnings I quickly found an abundance of information that persuaded me.  That information is there for others to view.  Additionally I've been fortunate to have experienced situations that drew on my increasing understanding but long before them I had no doubts about survival.  

I guess most of us will have arrived at our understanding from very different routes but it's the destination that's most important.  If the folk who listen to psychics and in-the-dark phenomenalists or read NDE accounts reach a similar level of persuasion to ourselves, does it really matter which path they walked to get there?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm

I believe that you're correct, Mac. We're all different, and if we each arrive at what is, for each one of us, proof that we survive the death of the body, that's the main thing.

For me, reading about the near-death phenomenon was my starting point. Evidential: but then, conventional religious teaching is evidential, also. But neither gave me the 'Eureka moment' that Spiritualist mediumship provided: actually hearing from my 'dead' friends and family members!

Unless someone actually went through their own near-death experience, or had some sort of direct revelation akin to St. Paul's experience on the Damascus Road, there'd be nothing else as evidential as information from deceased relatives, as provided through a competent medium.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 pm

Mac there is reasonable Psychism and Fruit Loop Psychism and sub conscious "channeling" the former may engage people the latter repulse thinkers and mislead seekers even to a dangerous level.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:09 am

Admin wrote:Mac there is reasonable Psychism and Fruit Loop Psychism and sub conscious "channeling" the former may engage people the latter repulse thinkers and mislead seekers even to a dangerous level.
 In life there are always limits to the protection we can provide for others. How do we guard those who are attracted by any form of fantasy?  

The "Fruit Loop Psychism" you mention probably feels totally authentic to those who practise it and may appear that way to those who want to believe in it.  I don't know how it would actually be dangerous but I acknowledge that misleading others always has an element of risk for those misled.  But my point was that provided seekers move on to issues that we Spiritualists see as serious and meaningful then their introduction to those issues is less important than what they eventually learn.

When seekers do learn and understand the serious aspects of survival they will probably appreciate how their introduction to them was flawed but in the final outcome maybe the ends justify the means?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:22 am

Hi Mac,

I think I have been a bit close to this and have seen the results of the "your surrounded by dark energy" or "you have failed in your duty to help all the souls you were meant to", or "you should leave your husband". Also on a practical basis I have seen very few come through this and be interested in Spiritualism or to move on to more serious issues, indeed I see a majority that just, eventually, move on in life, or move on because of the things they see which their own intelligence makes them suddenly reject. More problematically I do see many who believe that is the type of thing anyone who is a psychic or medium does; so its all rubbish. We become affected by this, which is often the most visible and regularly seen version of psychic, by association. Whereas we say we are not weird, whacky, kooky or magical they love that image.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 am

Admin wrote:Hi Mac,

I think I have been a bit close to this and have seen the results of the "your surrounded by dark energy" or "you have failed in your duty to help all the souls you were meant to", or "you should leave your husband". Also on a practical basis I have seen very few come through this and be interested in Spiritualism or to move on to more serious issues, indeed I see a majority that just, eventually, move on in life, or move on because of the things they see which their own intelligence makes them suddenly reject. More problematically I do see many who believe that is the type of thing anyone who is a psychic or medium does; so its all rubbish. We become affected by this, which is often the most visible and regularly seen version of psychic, by association. Whereas we say we are not weird, whacky, kooky or magical they love that image.

I do understand the points you're making, Jim and it's heartening that the majority of the seekers you've experienced eventually simply reject what they've seen and heard from psychics / fortune tellers etc. and move on with their lives.

It's sad but probably unavoidable that others will be influenced by the peddlers of the type of junk you mentioned and annoying that mediumship is too-often misunderstood as being the same thing. Sadly it appears something we won't be able to change and those who may really need psychiatric counselling and support for their problems will be attracted by individuals who offer - often for a price - personal psychic help and advice.

Since my early years, when I began to understand why psychic and spiritual meant different things, I have regretted that 'Psychic News', widely acknowledged as the mouthpiece for Spiritualism, had been given that unfortunate name.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:14 pm

The name never made any sense to me either. I heard somewhere that it was provided by the spirit world.

In any case, after some 84 years, I guess we're stuck with it.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down