SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Channeling Questions

5 posters

Go down

Channeling Questions Empty Channeling Questions

Post by Wes Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 am

The circle I'm sitting in on Monday nights is talking about doing channeling, which I have some reservations about, so I'd like some feedback from people who are channeling or sit in groups where it happens.

At what level of personal development is it appropriate to be channeling?

What safety measures should be in place while doing it, such as having a control that you trust?

How do the group dynamics affect channeling, is it all up to the one doing it, or the circle as a whole?

Will your gatekeeper allow spirits to channel through you according to what's best for you, or according to what your intentions and preferences are?

Also, what is the difference between trance and channeling?

Last edited by Wes on Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Channeling Questions Empty Re: Channeling Questions

Post by Admin Wed May 30, 2012 1:03 am

Hmm Wes I have talked about this at times. Channelling what would be teh question and how do you prove who is there. Opening yourself up to allow a Spirit to use your faculties in full trance is quite a step. Never leave your front door open for anyone to come in at at home would you, why would you do this now.

Light trance or inspiration is just likely to bring through anything which you have read about and excites you. So if you have deicated supporters of Diana Cooper, Jennifer Hoffman and teh 2012 ascension then thats what yyou will get.

Personal feeling a Trance group realistically needs some one to lead it experienced in deep trance and people who have some idea what this is all about. Hopefully whoever intends to go into trance has some prior relationship with their Spirit Guide.

I know this was not the case with Silver Birch but the Home Circle had decent experience of Trance communication so knew what to do.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 am

A group that you're comfortable with, their individual motives as well as your own, and trust in the guiding influences, probably are the main building blocks, Wes.
It could take time to come to the point of a speaker arriving so patience is required. Relax, relax and relax again, a light harmonious atmosphere is very helpful in this.
I found that 'inspired writing' - holding a pen and being lightly overshadowed - was a great early preparation for attuning for this kind of work.

Fear itself is better eliminated as it will block the link - then you will probably wonder whether you did block it, or not. Thinking aloud, best when alone, after inviting a speaker can be helpful remembering that you 'attract as you are' plus the motive.
Keep a wee book on how you found the circle conditions, weather and personal impressions of the group meeting. Personnel will likely come and go - take it all in your stride and aim for the highest.
Good Luck and go for it.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 30, 2012 1:47 am

Hi Hiorta,

I would be guessing that when you started this it was within a circle where the people were interested in Spiritualism. My guess is that Wes's circle has a very varied level of interest in the expected outcomes, some may even wish to be channelling the Archangels, Ascended Masters and news of 2012.

It does change the dynamics and the circumstances more than somewhat. Additionally within the dynamics my guess is someone in the Group really wants to "channel". they are likely to be the first to do so. Should the material suit some but not others it could split any group up. Probably need some ground rules first before the Merkabas fly in Wes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Wed May 30, 2012 2:00 am

Thank you both for your comments, I've added an additional question to my post regarding the difference between trance and channeling. My understanding is that in channeling you have an awareness of what is going on, and in trance, you are "asleep" and remember nothing about what has happened.

The circle I am in is a mixed bag, and that is what concerns me, as a couple of people are keen to do channeling with no real understanding of why they want to do it and what they want to get out of it. That kind of unfocussed thinking could invite spirits to jump in who want to do nothing more than tell jokes and sing songs. So if I want to close myself to "timewasters" and only channel beings that are in service of spirit, is that achievable or are those intentions getting in the way of the process itself?

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Wed May 30, 2012 2:49 am

Wes, I'd suggest 'motive' first.
Today's time-waster is learning too.

As regards being familiar with a 'speaker', it goes much deeper than that. The 'speaker' has on-line (so to speak) access to a limitless range of knowledge that can be found instantly, at any time.
As an illustration, I served some years with the Samaritans and found the knowledge, tone and line of talk would just appear. This proved invaluable for so many folk experiencing some of Life's complications, where the conversation meant something 'deep' to the distressed individual. I'm not a bible quoter, having little knowledge of it, yet if that was what 'burst the bubble' for someone, my mind was filled with biblical knowledge during the phone call. Greater minds at work and never once miscued the approach.

To link with a mind that is cavernous in capacity compared with your own pygmy brain, is humbling and awesome.
I wouldn't worry whether it's called channelling or trance - the information passes through your mind with, usually, no recall at the time, but it always reappears within a day or two.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Thu May 31, 2012 12:05 am

I admit to some confusion here, while I have no problem conversing with spirit while I still have control of all my faculties (which is what I understand channeling to be) where I do have concerns is when spirit "takes control" leaving me as a detached observer or with no memory of what's happened (which is what I take trance to be).

Does opening yourself up to one also open yourself up to the other, or can you set your own ground rules for your gatekeeper/guides to follow?

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu May 31, 2012 1:24 am

Wes,

Your first question is: "At what level of personal development is it appropriate to be channeling?"

It is not easy to give a comprehensive answer to this, but in a general sense, a person should have had some degree of spiritual awareness and inclination before undertaking to develop channeling or trance mediumship. The reason for this is really pretty obviousness. Unless a person has some level of knowledge of what might be accessed through entering into a trance or channelling state, they are unlikely to be able to adequately assess and discern the value, meaning or origins of the material given out during channeling or trance. Part of personal development is self-awareness, the capacity to have insight into one's own motivations and interests, and the wisdom to understand that not all that the mind can conceive or create is necessarily real or valid.

Your last question: "What is the difference between trance and channeling?"

This is actually the most important question to answer before examining your other queries. 'Channeling' is an American word used to describe a person entering into an altered state of awareness and while in that state, which may be 'conscious' or 'unconscious' transmitting the words or thoughts that come into the mind. As such, it may be that what is transmitted comes from the person's own mind, or 'higher consciousness' or may be information from a source outside of their individual mind, that is, a 'spirit.' For many people who ''channel" it might also be perceived as transmitting information from Archangels, ancient wisdom teachers or even aliens - all is considered possible in the channeling context.

Trance - and there are at least four different levels of trance state - from mild overshadowing where the person is fully conscious to deep trance where the medium is quite unconscious and unaware of what is occurring while the spirit communicates through them - is fundamentally a term used to describe a process of communication between those in the spirit world and those in the physical world and is most often used to transmit the deeper philosophy of Spiritualism, though it can also be used to transmit information constituting evidence of the survival of a known and identified individual in spirit.

There are potential difficulties with both channeling and trance. First and foremost, it is important to establish the veracity of 1. who/what is communicating and 2. what is the value/accuracy of what is communicated. Often in situations where the approach has been to 'channel' there is little evidence given to establish that who purports to be communication is in fact who they claim. This may also occur with trance - but usually a spirit will attempt to give some identifying information.

To undertake either trance or channeling a person must be very alert to the possibilities of interference - that is interference by their own mind - which may distort the accuracy of the information transmitted. As Spiritualists, we always say it is important to 'test'the spirits, and this old adage is never so important as when contemplating trance or channeling.

In reality, a person who enters into attempting to channel ot do trance, who has not understood the implications of what they want to do, and who are not willing to question and test whatever information comes through probably should not undetake either. A number of people most attracted to the idea of channeling and trance, are in fact, quite unsuited to such an activity, either in terms of their personality - that is, if they are of a nervous, excitable or gullible nature - or because they are a person who has a strong ego, and/or a desire to be seen as important, special or hold power over others.

If channeling or trance is to be attempted in a group that already exists for another purpose a clear discussion of the potential implications, the impact on members of the group, and the likely alteration to the group dynamics (including the potential to disrupt the group or even to cause it to break-up) should be undertaken, along with those wishing to channel or trance declaring their reasons for wanting to do this, and why they think it might be of benefit to them and other group members.

Unless there is general agreement amongst the group members, it is unwise to proceed. Even where there is an agreement to explore this particular form of 'communication' rules need to be formulated right from the start, and someone in the group would need to be chosen to co-ordinate the time spent on this activity in the group in order that the situation does not degenerate into several people 'going off into trance'at the same time. Clear time constraints should be imposed, especially if several people want to try this activity. An equal amount of time is allocated to each person, and when that time is up, the co-ordinator must close that segment down and allow another person to have a go. A record should be kept of what transpires, and a time set aside each time the group meets to assess the content of what was channeled or communicated through the trance state. A specific time scale should be worked out - say, the group will allow members to try this activity for a period of 3 months, at which point, its value and impact on the group should be evaluated and a decision made on, before further efforts are made or the activity ceases.

As for your other questions, Wes, I will try to set out some comments later.

Lis

[/quote]

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu May 31, 2012 1:43 am

Wes,

Your second question was: "What safety measures should be in place while doing it, such as having a control that you trust?"

In part, some of my previous comments may answer this question. Primary safety measures include
1. each member of the group knowing the rules and being willing to abide by them.
2. one person who takes charge of the segment, a person who has some knowledge of what trance and channeling are about (or is willing to learn) and is capable of firmly, but gently guiding people.
3. a person who is able to 'bring the person back'from a trance/channeling state, when their allocated time is up, or when the person appears to be struggling or distressed.
4. discussion at every step about the value of what is being transmitted - even though this may cause some people to feel challenged.
5. a strict time limit - a limit that is adhered to every time.
6. an agreement to immediately discontinue the segment if anyone in the group is distressed, uncomfortable or offended by what is communicated.
7. complete avoidance of alcohol or other stimulants prior to the group meeting.

Other rules might include using a specific dedication or 'protection' technique before undertaking the trance/channeling segment - useful in energy terms and also psychologically - as it highlights the seriousness of the undertaking and prepares the group for working at a deeper level of spirit contact.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 am

Thank you very much for your thoughts Lis. For me trust is a major issue to deal with, as I can't help but think of how Edgar Cayce's trust was betrayed a number of times while he was in trance.
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu May 31, 2012 1:55 am

Wes,

Your third question was: "How do the group dynamics affect channeling, is it all up to the one doing it, or the circle as a whole?"

The energy created by the group is fundamentally important to the success of any channeling or trance work. If any one in the group is uncomfortable with this kind of activity the energy available is reduced and may interfere with the success of the activity.

The whole circle would need to devote all their attention and energy to the person, or each person, if several are interested in trying this, while the person is attempting to move into the required altered state.

There should be an attitude of acceptance and encouragement - and a willingness to see that other person's development move forward in this way.

Each member of the circle would need to keep an open mind about what is transmitted, at least until discussion time when concerns or uncertainties should be raised.

It is important to remember that moving into an altered state of consciousness or into the deeper levels of the trance state, take time to learn and become competant in. It can take even longer for a spirit guide to build up enough energy and connection with the person to allow them to communicate through them in a clear and coherent manner. Such things cannot be rushed.

It is also important to understand that some people can convince themselves they are in touch with spirit when they are not - and such people are too often the ones that want to do channeling - so caution must be exercised at all times.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 am

Wes,

Your fourth question was: "Will your gatekeeper allow spirits to channel through you according to what's best for you, or according to what your intentions and preferences are?"

A person's gatekeeper would not want to allow a spirit or spirits of no good intent or purpose to work through the person, however, if the person is willing to let whatever comes, come through, the gate-keeper is not in a position to prevent it happening due to the issue of free-will.

In other words, the person must set the intent - that only a spirit of good purpose and higher knowledge or wisdom, or only a spirit that has a genuine desire to provide evidence of their survival to someone in the room - is wanted, and will be granted permission to communicate through them during trance or channeling activity. The person would also be wise to invite their door-keeper, whether known or unknown to them, to carry out the task of filtering out the undesirable from those in the spirit world who might 'see the light' of the medium and try to get a look-in!

If a person is particularly taken with the idea of channeling 'Jesus'or an Archangel, or an Egyptian High Priest, there are many in the spirit world who will oblige and take on that personage and perhaps eventually destroy the confidence of the person as they come to realise the falseness of it. Worse, some will never realise they are being duped by false spirits and will continue to channel and proudly proclaim the name/status of that which they channel. It is for this reason that testing and questioning is so important.

As for your further question: "Does opening yourself up to one also open yourself up to the other, or can you set your own ground rules for your gatekeeper/guides to follow?

You are entirely responsible for the degree to which you open up and allow yourself to go into an altered state, or to channel. You can set your own rules - i.e., to say I do not wish to go into deep trance, but will allow a state of inspiration or light trance that ensures I remain conscious and aware of what I am saying. Indeed, to begin with, such an approach is very sensible and ensures you build a level of confidence in the process and also become more aware of the sensations associated with the spirit or spirits with whom you are in contact.

By building up a level of trust with those spirit and your guides, who may or may not be the spirit that wants to communicate through you, it becomes possible to allow yourself to move to a deeper level of altered consciousness, even ultimately to deep trance, knowing that if necessary, you will be made aware of what was given through you either by hearing it replayed on a tape recording, or by it being given to you sometime in the following 24 hours after.

Even with guides and spirits that you have begun to trust, there may be occasions when 'interference' in the transmission occurs and false or distorted information is given. This does not necessarily mean that there is something seriously amiss, it may just be that the medium's own mind got in the way, or even that the atmospheric conditions distorted communication.

It is, however, when it occurs, wise to bear it in mind for future communications and to regularly assess and evaluate the material received. If repeated errors or falsehood occurs, or over the top claims, predictions or demands are given, then it would be best to withdraw fro a period of time, cease channeling until the matter has been clarifdied to you satisfaction.

Remember, you are always in charge. You always have the right to work in this way or to refuse to do so. It is your decision. By telling your guides what you are comfortable with and what you are not, they will do their best to accommodate you while striving to get their message across.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 am

Apologies for not being as clear as I would like - I am suffering from a bad dose of the flu and it is seriously impairing my thought processes!

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:11 am

Lis wrote:Apologies for not being as clear as I would like - I am suffering from a bad dose of the flu and it is seriously impairing my thought processes!

What you wrote looked very clear to me Lis, perhaps you were channeling as you wrote Laughing

Would it be alright if I shared what you wrote with the other members of the circle I'm in? Some of them would benefit from a better understanding of what is involved in trance and channeling.

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:26 am

Wes wrote:
Lis wrote:Apologies for not being as clear as I would like - I am suffering from a bad dose of the flu and it is seriously impairing my thought processes!

What you wrote looked very clear to me Lis, perhaps you were channeling as you wrote Laughing

Would it be alright if I shared what you wrote with the other members of the circle I'm in? Some of them would benefit from a better understanding of what is involved in trance and channeling.

Hi Wes,

If you think my comments would be of assistance, by all means share them with other members of the circle you are in.

Lis

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks for asking these questions Wes and thanks to everyone else for contributions answers - they have been most informative and helpful.

Can I suggest that this thread is made into a 'sticky' before it disappears into the abyss? Making it easier for others to find and learn from?
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:29 pm

""Hi Hiorta, I would be guessing that when you started this it was within a circle where the people were interested in Spiritualism""

That was absolutely the case, Jim and my apologies for not replying to you. We were all not long after 'dipping the toe in the water stage' and things definitely chimed with me. The others all dropped off after a while and it was a revelation to realise that they could not 'see' what was quite obvious to me. This set me off on a life-long, life-changing journey, without any regrets whatsoever.
SB mentioned that the pilgrim reaches a point where they must leave behind all that is familiar, landmarks and signposts and so it has proved, again and again.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Good Idea Leslie
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Admin wrote:Good Idea Leslie

Yes, what I might do is format Lis', Hiorta's and Jim's replies into a Q&A piece, to make it a bit tidier.

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down