SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Mediums born? Or made?

+12
obiwan
Admin
Lis
hiorta
taushin
Blackcrow
Quiet
Wes
KatyKing
bravo321uk
petal34
Left Behind
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Are Mediums born? Or made? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Mediums born? Or made?

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Also I reckon even if someone doesn't want to develop . If they are mediumistic, like it or not, that will 'come out' somewhere along the lines.
You can spot 'em a mile off mediums. Doesn't matter what they look like on the outside. You get alongside one, and if you are a medium yourself then you can just 'tell' and so can they.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 pm

So true,KK
My great gran had always had a 'sort of look' as if she was looking inside of you.
Never knew what it was then,I was told after she passed.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Yep that works Joan.
The nine yard stare and silence.
Fair puts the heeby jeebies up some folk.
Used to be a lot of very serious mediums on the circuit when I wer a lad. As a kid I found some of them a bit scary but I'm sure they were all sweeties underneath.
Folk won't stand for that these days.
I'm too much of an easy going chatterbox to make it work anyway.
A smile is a frown turned upside down.
So let's turn those lemons into lemonade. Very Happy
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Is my motto.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Ah,she was a weird one,never really knew her.
can you remember the photos which watched you as you walked from side to side from them?
Well,I remember there was one of her in my bedroom.....say no more,used to frighten the life out of me.
Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcrow Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

My great grandparents came from America and Canada as for the eyes everybody thinks my eye color is black because they are dark, i have got very deep set eyes and are dark blue in color,but nobody can keep eye contact with me.
my kids have the gift the eldest sees spirit but it frightens him and the youngest takes after me. my grandmother was the only one that understood me when i was growing up everybody else said i was mad, because i could see what they couldnt.

Namaste

Blackcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 pm

petal34 wrote:
Wes wrote:I know one woman in Melbourne who is a natural medium, who can identify who is present and pass on messages from them, but the whole process scares her so much that she she's deliberately shut down that side of her. If she had access to proper instruction and support, she could have dealt with the fear and moved forward, so perhaps we could add an extra qualifier to the original question - Are Mediums Born, or Properly Made?

Or is the gift handed down to us from forebears?

I prefer to call it an ability rather than a gift. Much the same as sight, touch and hearing are abilities. There's nothing unnatural or otherwordly about mediumship, it's just unfortunate that to many it's seen as something mystical and unfathomable.
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Wes wrote:
petal34 wrote:
Wes wrote:I know one woman in Melbourne who is a natural medium, who can identify who is present and pass on messages from them, but the whole process scares her so much that she she's deliberately shut down that side of her. If she had access to proper instruction and support, she could have dealt with the fear and moved forward, so perhaps we could add an extra qualifier to the original question - Are Mediums Born, or Properly Made?

Or is the gift handed down to us from forebears?

I prefer to call it an ability rather than a gift. Much the same as sight, touch and hearing are abilities. There's nothing unnatural or otherwordly about mediumship, it's just unfortunate that to many it's seen as something mystical and unfathomable.

Exactly,Wes. Talking to my son this evening,who is not a believer but I am finally getting through to him that there a life after death.
He has great abilties of 'sensing spirit' in him but the wee doubt is still there.
Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by taushin Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:25 pm

it is well known that people are naturally born psychic, with intuition or flashes of information from picking up "energy readings"
i think we all have a "feel" for mediumship, some are more drawn to it than others.
it is a natural talent that can be nurtured and improved upon with practice and experience, and practice.
the degrees of mediumship, such as mental and physical mediumship, i consider like levels of achievement that can be reached and developed with the individual and a teacher or mentor will come when the student is ready. i do not know if every medium can produce ectoplasmic events, i have been in seances where the medium was entranced in more of a light trance where there was an over shadowing of spirit, and i have witnessed deep trance demonstration and been involved in a deep trance seance session that lasted over a year on a weekly basis sitting in circle.
i have had the opportunity to sit in the chair a could of time for light transfiguration work and the energy and overshadowing was an amazing feeling of spirit presense.
taushin
taushin

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:56 am

My son has shown on more than one occasion that he is very pyschic.
But will not admit to it.
I have a feeling that he has fear of anything in the range of pyschic happenings.
So what does he have to do to eliminate this fear?
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by taushin Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 pm

petal34 how old is your son? many of us, want to fit in with a peer group and being different set you apart. you have to admit the "world" of the psychic and the medium is not a large one.

as he comes to see how the things he picks up are confirmed to him and that these gifts are a benefit and that these gifts are useful and asset. i guess the best is to help him feel comfortable with it.
taushin
taushin

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:11 pm

He is not a young boy,Taushin.
He is 59 years old. Lost his son 3 years ago at the age of 35 years.
Will give you an example of how 'seeing' he is.

He watched my husband walk into a room once,with the spirit of his twin brother beside him.
But would not acccept what he saw,said it was his imagination.
He will not accept that his own son is 'alive' in the world of spirit.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by taushin Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:23 pm

My daughter when her grandfather, on her mother's sided, passed. The family went to the funeral to put his body away properly. she telephoned me afterwards, telling me that when they got back home her papaw was sitting on the front porch waiting for them. he waved at her, she realized that no one else acknowledged his presense, she asked me did i think she saw him.
i told her yes i believe you did, it is subject only to you, unless one of the other members of the family acknowledged his presense as well. but your mother side of the family is very closed minded so it is best to keep this between us, she was 11 or 12 at the time. was already seeing a counselor for troubled teens with divoiced parents. she told me that was the last time she saw him.
but she has had other family members who have passed step up to her.
taushin
taushin

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:53 am

An interesting thought that that the gift of mediumship can be passed on through generations of family.
Now I wonder where the genes for that exists.
Or would it be to do with something else altogether?
My daughter too has mediumnistic gifts.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 am

From what I understand of genetics, physical attributes transfer readily, but are not fully binding and can be 'overwritten' with difficulty.

Abilities of mind seem to be a short step beyond that and spiritual abilities lie beyond that again and would seem to require a deliberate, time regulated 'awakening'.

This all seems to slot in with the necessary free will of the individual and would lessen the possibility of accidental opening of abilities - not unlike the genie in the bottle - to be carefully considered and as fully understood as possible in the circumstances, then deliberately acted upon.

I often wonder about the situation where a parent leads the child into their notion of 'what's best', in effect eliminating the child's right to choose, from the equation.
This reportedly happened to an outstanding medium of the past, but was it 'right' by the child, however laudable the motive?
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

hiorta wrote:From what I understand of genetics, physical attributes transfer readily, but are not fully binding and can be 'overwritten' with difficulty.

Abilities of mind seem to be a short step beyond that and spiritual abilities lie beyond that again and would seem to require a deliberate, time regulated 'awakening'.

This all seems to slot in with the necessary free will of the individual and would lessen the possibility of accidental opening of abilities - not unlike the genie in the bottle - to be carefully considered and as fully understood as possible in the circumstances, then deliberately acted upon.

I often wonder about the situation where a parent leads the child into their notion of 'what's best', in effect eliminating the child's right to choose, from the equation.
This reportedly happened to an outstanding medium of the past, but was it 'right' by the child, however laudable the motive?

Interesting information,Hiorta.
We were aware of my daughter's abilities when she turned 19 years old.
We made a point of never pushing her beyond the initial questions of what she was experiencing.
Most of it psychic at that time.
She picked on character of certain folks which sometimes was never shown.
Slowly the pyschic changed to small messages which started through tarot reading.
More Spirit than reading someone's future.
As far back in the family,I can go regarding the gift of mediumship is my great grandmother.
My grand father showed no signs of it. My mother was extremely pyschic,but her brother, my uncle,saw spirit.
I am more pyschic then medium. My son is the same but will not admit it.

I am now waiting to see how my grandchildren turn out.
Only one so far has shown any gift of hearing spirit.
Joan
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by taushin Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:50 pm

it is an interesting thought about that, a predisposition towards psychic and mediumistic trait being passed on through the gene pool.

i often thought it might be of the influence of just being around people in the family who were psychic, like enhancing a inborn talent.
to isolate and recognize such a gene or segment of the dna that corresponds with that "ability" interesting.

in the mode of the conversation about how much of an influence or how much of a push that parent who are "gifted" such influence their children in that direction, can be said of parents who are gifted musician or mathematicians,
provide the child with the education and development they need for them to find their own pathway of interest and then encourage , it would be the same with psychic ability, once they demonstrated a gift, then provide information for them or advise, letting our children mature on their own is difficult for parent, we don't believe much in skinned knees any more. maybe its a cop out but everything does happen for a reason, there are no good nor bad things just circumstance and lessons to learn challenges to over come.
taushin
taushin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Based on my personal experience, I believe it may well be possible that psychic and mediumistic abilities could be inherited and may appear in the next generation even where there has been no influence from the previous generation.

For example, I was adopted. From early childhood I saw spirit, received psychic information and spirit messages. My adoptive parents had absolutely no interest in spiritual/psychic matters and indeed both frowned upon my psychic inclinations and even punished me for them.

Despite this,I could not deny what I experienced and found it necessary to try and understand what it was all about. By the age of 17 I found myself involved in Spiritualism and over 46 years later I still consider myself a Spiritualist and a medium.

Last year I discovered for the first time at the age of 63 who my birth mother was. Surprisingly I found that she was still alive although very elderly. I learned that she was also psychic and mediumistic from childhood and became a medium and for most of her adult life worked in that capacity. Since her own mother died shortly after giving birth to her, and she was placed in an orphanage, she also had no 'role model' on which to base her knowledge of or involvement in contact with spirit, nevertheless it developed in her. Interestingly, on doing some family history research on her ancestry, I discovered that both her mother and her grandmother also may have been psychic/mediumistic.

Clearly the ability was not passed on by being directly exposed to it by family in my birth mother's case, nor in mine, so how, other than by genetic inheritance, could it have happened?

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:49 am

Very good points Lis. My own abilities may never have come into use without the push that Spirit gave so that we met up. Certainly neither of my parents appeared to have any Psychic abilities but they were very open about it.

Indeed their matter of fact handling of the experience I had as a 9 year old letting myself into the house alone on a dark late November afternoon in the UK after school was so matter of fact I just felt seeing people was normal so ignored it. So if I saw or felt anything it was not abnormal and I never mentioned it much.

However, I beleive there was an element of that intuitive ability in both of them and of course my Mother was adopted too.

I suspect that there are many more mediums out there that we will never know and from running groups I am aware that the natural psychic faculties can be opened up. Indeed doing dowsing courses show me just how high a level of success can be achieved. In the open development group there is also a high level of success albeit some of this may be subconscious not psychic.

I wonder if there is a definitive answer to this, so many people who develop may never realise their ancestors hid psychic or mediumship abilities. Additionally its all getting a bit to cheesy with the number of seventh children of seventh children from a family of psychic mediums.

I do suspect there is a strong genetic link, albeit that would presume we do not bring these abilities with us from Spirit but gain them from the hard wiring and software of the mind and physical body.

Now, once upon a time, it was this interplay that meant the development of Spiritualism was strongly linked to the development of psychology particularly William James the USA's Father of Psychology. YTh fissure that has opened up between Spiritualism, its mediums and science is very sad because this is just one area which is worth considering in greater depth.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:25 am

Some very interesting accounts there which proves to me that the gift of pyschic and mediumnistic abilties are inherited.
Now I wonder from which area of the consciousness or unconsciousness the gift is inherited from.
Must look that up to see if any information on the net.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 am

Well maybe. There seem also to be accounts of people who developed such skills after a major trauma. Maybe it was just latent Smile

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 am

obiwan wrote:Well maybe. There seem also to be accounts of people who developed such skills after a major trauma. Maybe it was just latent Smile

Ah now there you may have it,Obiwan. Very Happy

Lots of reasons where the gifts are latent in later life.
OBE's for one.
Many have found that after an OBE they are strangely blessed with the gift of 'seeing and hearing'.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am

petal34 wrote:
obiwan wrote:Well maybe. There seem also to be accounts of people who developed such skills after a major trauma. Maybe it was just latent Smile

Ah now there you may have it,Obiwan. Very Happy

Lots of reasons where the gifts are latent in later life.
OBE's for one.
Many have found that after an OBE they are strangely blessed with the gift of 'seeing and hearing'.
Yes Petal - OBEs are often connected with trauma too aren't they - but not always. Interesting.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Yes,they are,Obiwan,not sure what else can take a person on an ride through a tunnel. My husband had a OBE years ago,described the ride as something he would never forget.
Strengthed his faith in spiritualism.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by taushin Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm

a friend of mine had a massive heart failure and survived and gained his "second sight" he was able to see spirit objectively, as where i could sense them, he and i had an interesting conversation about a spirit that was standing outside my house once.
althought many did not believe us, but that is their look out
taushin
taushin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next