SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Small Case of Rescue Work.

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A Small Case of Rescue Work. - Page 2 Empty Re: A Small Case of Rescue Work.

Post by Left Behind Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:30 pm

petal34 wrote:
Left Behind wrote:
KatyKing wrote: silent Near enough fresh from school and very wet behind the ears. On our second day of training we had to attend the mortuary to observe an autopsy. Work experience counted for something back in 68. Mind you that was the Army Medical Corps and we were told at the end after half a dozen trainees had fled the morgue never to be seen again that they did it to weed out the squeamish. Worked too!

I had a law school classmate who tried unsuccessfully to become an FBI agent. He told me that one thing they did was to hand him a revolver - allegedly, to test his gripping strength - and tell him that they were going to time him to see how many times he could pull the trigger in one minute.

I asked him if he broke the action open to see if the gun was loaded. He told me no, that he just started pulling the trigger.

I told him that he flunked the test the instant he pulled the trigger. I told him that if for some reason they really wanted to measure his gripping strenght, there are devices that can do that accurately: that they were really observing him to see whether he was scared of the gun, and whether he was careful with the gun: and that anyone who looked frightened when they handed it to him, OR who pulled the trigger without checking to see that it was unloaded, flinked the test.

It was interesting to see the "Oh, S#$T!" look on his face while he tried to convince me and himself otherwise! Shocked Very Happy

Jim

I can imagine,Jim.
I would have ran for my life..... Rolling Eyes

And they'd have never hired you, Petal! Laughing

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:37 pm

petal34 wrote:
KatyKing wrote:Mrs K shares this one.
She went to a funeral of a work colleague. One of attenders fancied herself as a bit of a tarot card and tea leaf reader always benging on about her 'mystical powers' at work. They come out from crem and are looking at flowers. One arrangement is shaped like a cat. 'Psychic' gushes... 'I just knew she would get a cat arrangement. I saw it clearly in the cards just last night. It's what she would have wanted'.
Hearing this the funeral director comes over and tells her non too quietly. 'Those tributes are from the previous service madam... this committals flowers are over there'. [no cat flowers to be seen]. Lesley [Mrs K] says someone approached her concerned she was sobbing when in fact she was shaking with suppressed giggles over what had been said. Deceased, who Mrs K knew well, hated cats with a passion being allergic to cat hair.

I can well imagine that. Remember when Ken and I went to arrange our funeral.
I 'threatened' him with the most dire punishment if he put his foot in it.
Out came the book with the coffins in,I held my breath!
Rolling Eyes
He took one look at the coffins then the prices!
Shoved the book away and told her 'Haven't you got any cardboard coffins for free?'
Then to me 'Haven't you got a few of those blue council bags left?'
The funeral director broke down in laughter.

Now this is an example of his sense of humour.
After he passed,I received a message from the spiritualist church,very good medium there that evening.
I was told 'he is telling me you will see him this Saturday evening'.

On the Friday of that week,I received a message to tell me that Ken's ashes had arrived from the crem.
I picked them up and felt quite sick!
Where was my lovely 6ft hubby,this wasn't him in a box,was the thoughts going through my mind.

I had made promises to send some of his ashes to his family and was also taking some to Australia to scatter at the war memorial in Melbourne.
So decided to do that awful job on the coming Saturday evening.
All prepared,I laid a white sheet on the counter top and sorted the boxes out.
As I picked up something to ladle the ashes into boxes,it struck me what the medium had told.

The language was terrible!
I was seeing him alright...... Laughing
That was Ken's sense of humour,gritty but funny.
But he is now where he wanted to be.....Melbourne,spread over the surf in Brisbane,with his family and buried in the back garden of our home and some which will always be with me.
When my time comes.....he will pay for all this...... lol!

I commend both of you for making the necessary arrangements in advance: something I've been trying to convince everyone to do, ever since my wife died.

My name, birth date, and a photo image of the two of us are already on her/our tomb.

You'd find it interesting how people are buried in New Orleans: generally above ground, and in vaults located inside tombs, or mausoleums. The body goes inside a wooden coffin - no metal casket - which deteriorates, over time, along with the body.

Given the high temperatures here, I guess you could say that it's rather like being cremated, albeit more slowly. Laughing

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Lovely stories all. Arran Pilot are first early seed potatoes. They should be ready to lift in about eight weeks. Next to go in are second earlies then main crop. If weather holds and we don't get blight we then have spuds all through the year. I aim to plant four times more of everything than we need. Old rhyme for sowing...
One for the slug. One for the crow. One to die and one to grow.
That was sound evidence from that medium petal.
Funerals for us hopefully sorted as both in union 'burial club' a sort of pre payment plan. I'm very much of the bin bag or cardboard coffin persuasion. It'll only be dust.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Left Behind wrote:
petal34 wrote:
KatyKing wrote:Mrs K shares this one.
She went to a funeral of a work colleague. One of attenders fancied herself as a bit of a tarot card and tea leaf reader always benging on about her 'mystical powers' at work. They come out from crem and are looking at flowers. One arrangement is shaped like a cat. 'Psychic' gushes... 'I just knew she would get a cat arrangement. I saw it clearly in the cards just last night. It's what she would have wanted'.
Hearing this the funeral director comes over and tells her non too quietly. 'Those tributes are from the previous service madam... this committals flowers are over there'. [no cat flowers to be seen]. Lesley [Mrs K] says someone approached her concerned she was sobbing when in fact she was shaking with suppressed giggles over what had been said. Deceased, who Mrs K knew well, hated cats with a passion being allergic to cat hair.

I can well imagine that. Remember when Ken and I went to arrange our funeral.
I 'threatened' him with the most dire punishment if he put his foot in it.
Out came the book with the coffins in,I held my breath!
Rolling Eyes
He took one look at the coffins then the prices!
Shoved the book away and told her 'Haven't you got any cardboard coffins for free?'
Then to me 'Haven't you got a few of those blue council bags left?'
The funeral director broke down in laughter.

Now this is an example of his sense of humour.
After he passed,I received a message from the spiritualist church,very good medium there that evening.
I was told 'he is telling me you will see him this Saturday evening'.

On the Friday of that week,I received a message to tell me that Ken's ashes had arrived from the crem.
I picked them up and felt quite sick!
Where was my lovely 6ft hubby,this wasn't him in a box,was the thoughts going through my mind.

I had made promises to send some of his ashes to his family and was also taking some to Australia to scatter at the war memorial in Melbourne.
So decided to do that awful job on the coming Saturday evening.
All prepared,I laid a white sheet on the counter top and sorted the boxes out.
As I picked up something to ladle the ashes into boxes,it struck me what the medium had told.

The language was terrible!
I was seeing him alright...... Laughing
That was Ken's sense of humour,gritty but funny.
But he is now where he wanted to be.....Melbourne,spread over the surf in Brisbane,with his family and buried in the back garden of our home and some which will always be with me.
When my time comes.....he will pay for all this...... lol!

I commend both of you for making the necessary arrangements in advance: something I've been trying to convince everyone to do, ever since my wife died.

My name, birth date, and a photo image of the two of us are already on her/our tomb.

You'd find it interesting how people are buried in New Orleans: generally above ground, and in vaults located inside tombs, or mausoleums. The body goes inside a wooden coffin - no metal casket - which deteriorates, over time, along with the body.

Given the high temperatures here, I guess you could say that it's rather like being cremated, albeit more slowly. Laughing

Jim

Lovely to be together though,Jim.
As you will be in the afterlife.
Petal x
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:16 pm

KatyKing wrote:Lovely stories all. Arran Pilot are first early seed potatoes. They should be ready to lift in about eight weeks. Next to go in are second earlies then main crop. If weather holds and we don't get blight we then have spuds all through the year. I aim to plant four times more of everything than we need. Old rhyme for sowing...
One for the slug. One for the crow. One to die and one to grow.
That was sound evidence from that medium petal.
Funerals for us hopefully sorted as both in union 'burial club' a sort of pre payment plan. I'm very much of the bin bag or cardboard coffin persuasion. It'll only be dust.

Indeed,nice to keep a sense of humour about death.
Especially as we know there is no death,KatyKing.

Ah,potatoes! The name is new to me.
I do miss my gardening.
Very Happy
Petal
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 am

Smile Can never guarantee crops will do well. Too many variables and every year is different. Can guarantee we'll each of us be reunited with loved ones gone before though, that's an unshakeable and unchangeable fact.
Psalm 77 v 6
I call to remembrance my song and in the night I commune with my own heart and search out my spirits.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 am

KatyKing wrote:That plus inflation Jim from a penny in petal's experience to ten pence in mine.
I kid you not, I have a grand daughter called Charon. Her mum [ex daughter in law] thought it classier than Sharon.
We should all get to name our own parents.

Missed this one.
Talking about naming own parents.....My mother's first name was Lily,her maiden name Greenwood.
Asked Granny why she named my mother 'Lily'.
Answer was 'she was so blonde and white skin,she looked like a little lily in the green wood'.
My mother never lived that down..... Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:39 am

KatyKing wrote: Smile Can never guarantee crops will do well. Too many variables and every year is different. Can guarantee we'll each of us be reunited with loved ones gone before though, that's an unshakeable and unchangeable fact.
Psalm 77 v 6
I call to remembrance my song and in the night I commune with my own heart and search out my spirits.

Lovely, Katy.
If only I could convince my son that there is life after death.
He lost his son 3 years ago (my grandson) aged 35.
I get that 'look' when I tell him grandson is still around him.
Sad
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:35 pm

I do hope he comes round petal. Either way he's in for a lovely reunion one of these days.
Such a comfort is spiritualism and such a shame that more don't come to see that whilst still on this side. But....
'Alle shall be welle
and alle shall be welle
and alle manner of thynge shall be welle.'

Julian of Norwich [top medium]
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:43 pm

KatyKing wrote:I do hope he comes round petal. Either way he's in for a lovely reunion one of these days.
Such a comfort is spiritualism and such a shame that more don't come to see that whilst still on this side. But....
'Alle shall be welle
and alle shall be welle
and alle manner of thynge shall be welle.'

Interesting that we recited this verse at my church service (Methodist) this morning, Peter. I am happy to learn the source and delighted to learn that the source was a medium. Very Happy

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:53 pm

KatyKing wrote:I do hope he comes round petal. Either way he's in for a lovely reunion one of these days.
'Alle shall be welle
and alle shall be welle
and alle manner of thynge shall be welle

He wants to believe but his mind won't let him.
His unbelief is stronger than any belief he may have.
Hopefully one day!
Thanks KatyKing.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Well what will be will be petal. Kids eh! My eldest lads 41,still worry about him.
Julian of Norwich was a trance medium Jim. Some good books out there about her.
There's a shrine where her cell stood in Norwich but its much restored. No atmosphere but a spiffy gift and book shop nearby with some spiritualist titles along with new agey gifts,angels and the like. Some CofE nuns run it.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm

You are in good company with the people called Methodists Jim. John Wesleys mum was a medium and they had raps etc at Epworth Rectory where JW was raised lomg before Fox sisters. JW was a healer and galvanist. He travelled with the equipment and did healings between preaching. Primitive methodists post Wesley had trance mediums. Excellent description of their Delamere Forest trance meetings in a history book here at home.
It all got a bit 'respectable' later on so they paid off the trance mediums or found them jobs as circuit riders in far flung parts,they had to promise no more trance work or else they were out.
Hugh Bourne [founded Primitive Meths who passed in 1852] was spirit guide to a Cheshire medium and healer of my youth. He's now in spirit.
No Prim Meths anymore in England. All the strands merged years ago.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Lot of Greenwoods and Greenhalghes round Pendle way petal. Might you have Lancashire ancestors ?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 pm

I hadn't known that about John Wesley and the early Methodists, KK. I'll have to refer to it if anyone at church gives me a hard time about being a Spiritualist! Smile

Primitive Methodists exist in the US, but it's a small denomination. The only PM churches I've ever seen were in small towns in northeastern Pennsylvania.

PETAL, take heart in the fact that whatever we don't believe in this life, we will learn the truth eventually: if not in this world, then in the next. Wink

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 am

Being the son of a Methodist Minister (hence Wesley being my middle name) I have a lot of admiration for the Methodist movement, not only because they spent money on helping people rather than building shiny great cathedrals, but also the tireless efforts of John Wesley who went about the length and breadth of England on foot preaching, until they made him ride a horse when he was seventy-ish. He would have made a wonderful Spiritualist ;-)
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 am

And all that walking helped him to live long. Very Happy

My wife and I visited the site where Aldersgate used to be: now part of the Museum of the City of London. A great place to visit. The first time we went there, a fire alarm had just gone off, and they were evicting everyone. But the second time we got to see everything.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 am

Left Behind wrote:And all that walking helped him to live long. Very Happy

He needed to be healthy because his diet consisted mainly of drinking tea, which back then had an unhealthy amount of lead in it!

One of his personal goals was to die with no more than ten pounds to his name, and that's exactly what he did. I'd like to see church leaders today make a promise to themselves like that...
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:28 am

KatyKing wrote:Lot of Greenwoods and Greenhalghes round Pendle way petal. Might you have Lancashire ancestors ?

Grandfather was born in Yorkshire and grandmother in Lancashire.
I think my grandfather was born in Harrogate.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am

A fine heritage
Smile
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 am

KatyKing wrote:A fine heritage
Smile

The War of the Roses!
Very Happy
Thanks KatieKing,
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Wes wrote:
Left Behind wrote:And all that walking helped him to live long. Very Happy

One of his personal goals was to die with no more than ten pounds to his name, and that's exactly what he did. I'd like to see church leaders today make a promise to themselves like that...

I expect something like that will happen in my case. . .though it's not one of my goals! Razz

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

KatyKing wrote:Lot of Greenwoods and Greenhalghes round Pendle way petal. Might you have Lancashire ancestors ?

I'm getting mental images of Poirot. a journey by train. . . Very Happy

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Lots of spiritualists and allsorts even these days around Pendle. It's where the Lancashire Witches hailed from (no aspersions cast or implied petal)
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:10 pm

KatyKing wrote:Lots of spiritualists and allsorts even these days around Pendle. It's where the Lancashire Witches hailed from (no aspersions cast or implied petal)

Why do you think I wear my black cloak and hood when I post here?
lol!
Ah,now I remember the story of the Pendle witches,thought the name was familiar.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next