SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is eternity just too long for humanity?

3 posters

Go down

Is eternity just too long for humanity? Empty Is eternity just too long for humanity?

Post by hiorta Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Orthodox Religion's earlier stance on marriage has taken a mortal blow with the realisation that all Life actually does live forever. The wed-for-life school presumably never foresaw this one coming - seriously, could anyone really live in a normal sense for say x000000 years?
This clearly points to those alleged edicts of a deity being shallow and not all encompassing. Doesn't it?

I did see a thoughtful article some years ago where the author opined that the oft-lauded marriage durability of earlier times marriage longevity was just about equal to today.
Rather than divorce, etc being a resulting cause as today, it was illness, poverty, awful social conditions, wars, and generally unhealthy living with the average marriage lasting a similar period.

This raises the thought - did the stories of wedded bliss bear any resemblance to factual record? No doubt the exceptions were as then and now.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Is eternity just too long for humanity? Empty Re: Is eternity just too long for humanity?

Post by obiwan Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 pm

hiorta wrote:Orthodox Religion's earlier stance on marriage has taken a mortal blow with the realisation that all Life actually does live forever. The wed-for-life school presumably never foresaw this one coming - seriously, could anyone really live in a normal sense for say x000000 years?
This clearly points to those alleged edicts of a deity being shallow and not all encompassing. Doesn't it?

I did see a thoughtful article some years ago where the author opined that the oft-lauded marriage durability of earlier times marriage longevity was just about equal to today.
Rather than divorce, etc being a resulting cause as today, it was illness, poverty, awful social conditions, wars, and generally unhealthy living with the average marriage lasting a similar period.

This raises the thought - did the stories of wedded bliss bear any resemblance to factual record? No doubt the exceptions were as then and now.

I suppose it depends what one sees as the purpose of marriage. Maybe what endures is love and in fact the bible (fwiw) says the same. I don’t recall marriages lasting beyond death, even Jesus is said to said as much isn’t he?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Is eternity just too long for humanity? Empty Re: Is eternity just too long for humanity?

Post by hiorta Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Death was seen as an impenetrable barrier to so many systems and things, it being quite easy to then insert quotations under that name.
Marriage itself seems to have been a control tool, although anything that helps the very young must be welcome. Anyway,who would want a handful of mothers-in-law Spirit side?
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:18 pm

hiorta wrote:Death was seen as an impenetrable barrier to so many systems and things, it being quite easy to then insert quotations under that name.
Marriage itself seems to have been a control tool, although anything that helps the very young must be welcome. Anyway,who would want a handful of mothers-in-law Spirit side?

Sorry friend I'm not sure what point you're making.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 am

My apologies obiwan.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am

hiorta wrote:My apologies obiwan.
Are you ok?
Feel free to expand Very Happy

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:27 am

I'm fine obi wan, thanks. getting a bit overwhelmed today.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am

hiorta wrote:I'm fine obi wan, thanks. getting a bit overwhelmed today.

Good good Smile (not that you're overwhelmed!).

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Elsewhere a mention has been made whether marriage between mortals continues as marriage between the same individuals in their spirit forms after corporeal death.

interesting notion maybe?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:46 pm

mac wrote:Elsewhere a mention has been made whether marriage between mortals continues as marriage between the same individuals in their spirit forms after corporeal death.

I guess it depends what is meant by marriage.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:10 pm

obiwan wrote:
mac wrote:Elsewhere a mention has been made whether marriage between mortals continues as marriage between the same individuals in their spirit forms after corporeal death.

With freewill of both, the same partners, same emotional ties, same physical intimacy as when incarnates....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

mac wrote:
obiwan wrote:

With freewill of both, the same partners, same emotional ties, same physical intimacy as when incarnates....

I can’t see why that couldn’t be achieved, though how long the parties involved would want it to continue like that is probably moot 😄 . I’m not sure how practical ‘physical intimacy’ would be.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:30 pm

obiwan wrote:
mac wrote:
obiwan wrote:

I can’t see why that couldn’t be achieved, though how long the parties involved would want it to continue like that is probably moot 😄 . I’m not sure how practical ‘physical intimacy’ would be.

Agreed on each point, obi.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down