SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Spiritualist Bible Commwntary?

5 posters

Go down

A Spiritualist Bible Commwntary? Empty A Spiritualist Bible Commwntary?

Post by Left Behind Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Spiritualists often note that the Bible, and especially the New Testament, contains many references that clearly refer to Spiritualistic phenomena: mediums, prophecy, transfiguration, materialization, etc.

Is anyone here aware of any book of commentary that interprets the Bible from a Spiritualist viewpoint?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

A Spiritualist Bible Commwntary? Empty Re: A Spiritualist Bible Commwntary?

Post by Admin Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Sorry Jim not my scene because I do not see the old testament as an accurate historical record (I would have to check my research but I have found mention that the Torah, on which this is based, was re written after a battle between two groups of the Jewish Nation, after which history was re written and parts edited out). I often felt that these references were used as a way to try and persuade the Christian religion to accept Spiritualism.

I believe there are several old books that attempt that comparison (I probably have e copies of them too I will look), however the Bible is man made theology a record of what people chose to wrote and so are these books with events chosen to suitably match. I am in the camp of Stainton Moses guide Imperator who indicated that Spiritualism was not a new revelation but a reinterpretation of the truth that had been lost in the theological thoughts of man superimposed on Gods truth.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:57 pm

But then, the Bible could be historically inaccurate, and still have descriptions of authentic Spiritualist phenomena.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:40 pm

The Bible is a bit of a confection really. There were a lot of writings which were not included in it because the didn't fit with the theology that had been adopted. It also seems to contain warning about consulting spirits and mediums which seem to conflict with other messages that support a spiritualistic angle as far as I can see.

It depends why one thinks the Bible has authority I guess. I know a lot of people think its god's word.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Davey Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:31 am

Spirit Communication as reveled in the Bible, by Alfred Kitson

http://arthurfindlayshop.org/index.php?searchStr=spirit+communication+in+the+bible&act=viewCat&Submit=

Bev Davey

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Bev Davey wrote:Spirit Communication as reveled in the Bible, by Alfred Kitson

http://arthurfindlayshop.org/index.php?searchStr=spirit+communication+in+the+bible&act=viewCat&Submit=

What a great site! Thank you for Posting that, Bev. Very Happy

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 am

obiwan wrote:The Bible is a bit of a confection really. There were a lot of writings which were not included in it because the didn't fit with the theology that had been adopted. It also seems to contain warning about consulting spirits and mediums which seem to conflict with other messages that support a spiritualistic angle as far as I can see.

It depends why one thinks the Bible has authority I guess. I know a lot of people think its god's word.

I think a confection is generous Obi, so much depends upon source and translation.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Spiritualist Bible Commwntary? Empty A Spiritualist bible commentary.

Post by hiorta Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 am

A huge financial empire with global tentacles and an accompanying, unspoken desire to 'guide' peoples thinking were dependent on the bible being accepted as having Divine connections.
These ideas ran contrary to the unflinching message of Spiritualism - Personal Responsibility.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Admin wrote:
obiwan wrote:The Bible is a bit of a confection really. There were a lot of writings which were not included in it because the didn't fit with the theology that had been adopted. It also seems to contain warning about consulting spirits and mediums which seem to conflict with other messages that support a spiritualistic angle as far as I can see.

I think a confection is generous Obi, so much depends upon source and translation.

Agreed. Leaving aside whether what was written originally was even true.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down