SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms?

+8
Left Behind
Admin
Wes
Lis
eirefox
Juniper
petal34
Mark74
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms? Empty Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms?

Post by Mark74 Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I have noticed during my years quite a number of mediums and psychics use pseudonyms when working, I have often thought about this, why change your name. Any of yous here notice this few mediums I know that work the church circuit use pseudonyms. What are your thoughts on this.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms? Empty Re: Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms?

Post by Mark74 Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I know one young lass monday to friday she's a nurse. Evenings and weekends shes a medium, works the churches and she's an exceptional medium told me once she doesn't work her town or area never felt comfortable talking about her experiences with family and friends, keeps her mediumistic work separate hence the pseudonym. Must say I always was suspicious of those using pseudonyms always felt they were hiding something.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms? Empty Re: Why do Mediums and Psychics use pseudonyms?

Post by petal34 Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:12 pm

I have just learned something I did not know.
Never knew that some mediums take a false name.
Would that be some of the well known mediums around now,Mark?
Fascinating.

I always wondered about you,Pete...... Suspect
Smile
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:12 pm

petal34 wrote:I have just learned something I did not know.
Fascinating.

Smile

Sally Morgan is Michelle West. Lincoln use to be the name for Colin Fry am sure there are others. I know alot of victorian mediums used pseudonyms as well Petal.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Mark74 wrote:
Fascinating.

Smile

Sally Morgan is Michelle West. Lincoln use to be the name for Colin Fry am sure there are others. I know alot of victorian mediums used pseudonyms as well Petal.

Yes,I believe Lincoln was also the name of Colin's guide,correct?
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 pm

petal34 wrote:
Mark74 wrote:
Fascinating.

Smile

I don't think so Joan, I know Colin's chief guide is Magnus. Have you ever heard Magnus he's an impressive control.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:57 am

Mark74 wrote:
petal34 wrote:
Mark74 wrote:
Fascinating.

Smile

I don't think so Joan, I know Colin's chief guide is Magnus. Have you ever heard Magnus he's an impressive control.

You are probably correct,Mark.
Wonder why Colin picked the name Lincoln?
Would Magnus be the control Colin uses in his performances?
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:58 am

KatyKing wrote:Alexander isn't the real surname of Alexander circle chap but I forget what it is.
Quite common for the early mediums to use pseudonyms. Bit of a tradition. It was illegal to work as a medium until within my early days and even after they repealed the witchcraft act mediums could still be prosecuted for public demming under watch committee local byelaws for 'unlicensed peformance'.. It's only this past thirty years or so that we've been pretty much left alone.

I didn't realise it wasn't that long ago since mediums were branded as witches,we live and learn.
Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Juniper Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I had no idea that many mediums do use different names.

I know there use to be a rule in the acting industry that two actors could not have the same name, so many had to pick other names to be know as or else not be allowed to work.

Maybe the same rule applies for mediums who work in a theatre/tv setting. Although, that rule was part of membership of the actors equity, which I would not of thought would have had anything to do with mediums such as Sally Morgan. But maybe there is some kind of red tape that does touch upon mediumship in entertainment settings.

Still would not account for people changing their names within church settings. Maybe that has more to do with protecting oneself.

Juniper
Juniper
Juniper

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:01 pm

You have a good point there,Juniper.
A bad medium needs a quick 'get-a-way' route.... Very Happy

But I can see the point you are making.
Must admit I was rather surprised to hear this fact about assuming a different name.
We live and learn.
Petal
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by eirefox Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't know.... pseudonymns are OK to use IMO. I mean, we're all using psuedonyms on this page.

eirefox

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:05 am

eirefox wrote:I don't know.... pseudonymns are OK to use IMO. I mean, we're all using psuedonyms on this page.

Not all of us eirefox!! Very Happy Shocked Laughing

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 am

Lis wrote:
eirefox wrote:I don't know.... pseudonymns are OK to use IMO. I mean, we're all using psuedonyms on this page.

Not all of us eirefox!! Very Happy Shocked Laughing

Does using my middle name count as a psuedonym?

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 am

Of course Admin is a pseudonym of Jim W
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 am

KatyKing wrote:There's a medium advertises in TW every month. Elaine has ours so I can't give the actual names these are for example but ad goes....
'Jenny Jones
formerly
Susie Smith Medium...'.
There's a serious subtext to mediums resorting to pseudonyms beyond and above uncharitable accusations of subterfuge.
Into my day and in my personal experience mediums have been persecuted. There are folk out there who, if they could get away with it; would have us taken out bound to a stake and burnt and believe they were doing God a favour. Even though they can't it only takes one publicty seeking balloon like Derek Acorah opening his insensitive mouth about poor Madelaine McCann to the press and BANG! Every time you open a newspaper or switch on the TV 'news' there's a poisonous opinion piece effectively cursing each and every medium for what we do and what we stand for. The burning times are still amongst us in the minds of those people of ill intent and influence who never miss an opportunity to do us down.
Given that fact is it any wonder that mediums still choose to protect themselves and their families by using pseudonyms?

Good point Pete never actually seen it like that

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

So you a bit like the scarlet pimpernel pete. Reminds me of a medium Andreas Vasiliou particularly known in the 1970s to be the worlds highest paid medium. Trained by a sister of Harry Edwards the healer. Last I heard of him he was involved with the running of a spiritualist church in London. He featured a good bit in Psychic News in his day. Interesting character, elusive type.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Admin wrote:Of course Admin is a pseudonym of Jim W

However, Left Behind is the other Jim's real name. "Jim" is his pseudonym. Razz

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 am

Me thinks you been watching too many westerns,Jim
Very Happy
Ah,the good old days....1 penny for the stalls in the cinema.... cheers
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:44 am

I've often thought of using a pseudonym or alias - not perhaps for the reason other mediums and psychics do - but because very few people actually ever address me by my correct name (both forename and surname).

Despite always introducing myself verbally as 'Leslie' - I get hello 'Les'... Which often makes me think the recipient either wasn't listening - or simply isn't interested Wink
Every email, letter (txt) even forum name I use I always write ... 'Leslie' - yet I still get 'Les'??? (Les by the way, I absolutely detest... LOL I just get fed up with correcting people).
My Surname hasn't got an 'n' in it - yet... when I go on platform, rostrum etc.. They add an 'n'??? When I introduce myself or give my name verbally, people repeat it with an 'n' in it...
And... to top it all off Wink Very few people actually understand the UK spelling of 'Leslie' as in gender wise... SO - I get correspondence addressed to 'Mrs'... LOL Or they simply write Lesley (Argh........ Smile ).

So... a pseudonym or alias? Yep... Sounds really inviting for me!! LOL

(Now where's that Johnny Cash record - a boy named sue - love that one...)
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm

'Give me land,lots of land.....'

Give me Roy Rogers any time....
Was it Trigger,his horse was called??
There's a statue up somewhere depicting the horse,never saw one in memory of Roy.
Crying or Very sad
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Lol I reckon most would settle for 'old nag' as opposed to trigger.

All sensible pseuydoynms condired if anyone one wishes to contribute one Wink
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Lol I like it... Though Frank Merlin was also referred to on Amazon as.... A skillful blending of the factual with a neat mystery. An engaging protagonist in Frank Merlin will be worth looking out for in the future.

Given my past Peter you chose well... Frank Merlin ... Mmm. protagonist ... Smile
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

There's a good name for me!

The 'Old Nag'.

lol!
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:38 pm

'Little Mouse'....what I was called at school.
Embarassed
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 pm

KatyKing wrote:Alex Sanders ex Maxine was the highest paid medium bar none in her day and those days included the 70s. And you can take that to the bank mate (as did Maxine).
She sat for Arab sheiks wives (lots of 'em). I was a member of Maxine's home circle at Notting Hill Gate when we lived in London.

Maxine's home circle Pete, thought she was more wicca centered. Remember seeing her years back on television with her husband Alex, Sybil Leek the famed witch also featured in the same documentary.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next