SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Law of Attraction

+4
Left Behind
KatyKing
hiorta
Loneblossom
8 posters

Go down

The Law of Attraction Empty The Law of Attraction

Post by Loneblossom Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 am

The Law of Attraction – I had no idea that this was a part of Modern Spiritualism.

Is it the same as the Law of Attraction espoused by The Secret by Rhonda Byrne and also numerous books by Abraham-Hicks?
Has the popularity of these books had an effect on Modern Spiritualism? For example, have they made more people interested in Spiritualism or changed people's perception of Spiritualism (positively or negatively)?
Loneblossom
Loneblossom

Back to top Go down

The Law of Attraction Empty Re: The Law of Attraction

Post by hiorta Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 am

Ideas come and go, authors come and go, but the Natural Laws govern without any assistance from us, requiring neither repeal or amendment, encompassing all possibilities that could arise, whether yesterday or tomorrow.

Silver Birch attributes his wonder and admiration to the Mind that brought these Laws into being. He terms this Mind as part of the 'Great Spirit'.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Unless they come to their senses on this side then I suspect that Esther and Jerry Hicks of 'Ask and it shall be given' and related lucrative drivel notoriety may have a tad of explaining to do at some stage.
Law of Attraction has been married with prosperity 'gospel' and spawned an ugly child.
We hear echoes of it whenever some deluded soul claims that an angel found them a parking spot.
It aint Spiritualism any more than is 'Natural Law' which is redrafted regularly depending on the whim of the interpreter thereof and stems originally from eugenicist dabblers in Spiritualism during the bad old days.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm

The same term means different things in different contexts.

To us, "survivalism" means something like "the continuation of the individual soul or personality in another plane of existence, after dissolution of the earthly body."

Mention the same term to the average person in the street and it conjures up images of someone with a year's supply of freeze-dried food in his cellar, and 10,000 rounds of ammo for his assault rifle.

Similarly, I'm getting the feeling that "law of attraction" has something to do with "name it and claim it", as used in the "prosperity Gospel"?

If so, this has nothing to do with the term (the use of which goes back at least to the 1930's) in Spiritualism. There, it refers to the idea that in the spirit plane, people of like interest and spiritual development tend to flock together, like birds of a feather,.

Also, the related idea that spirit is attracted to like spirits here on earth. A violent person playing with a Ouija board is likely to attract violent spirits, for example.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Loneblossom Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Left Behind wrote: To us, "survivalism" means something like "the continuation of the individual soul or personality in another plane of existence, after dissolution of the earthly body."

Mention the same term to the average person in the street and it conjures up images of someone with a year's supply of freeze-dried food in his cellar, and 10,000 rounds of ammo for his assault rifle.

LOL I think people have watched too many episodes of Man vs Wild and Survivor on the tellie.

Left Behind wrote:Similarly, I'm getting the feeling that "law of attraction" has something to do with "name it and claim it", as used in the "prosperity Gospel"?

If so, this has nothing to do with the term (the use of which goes back at least to the 1930's) in Spiritualism. There, it refers to the idea that in the spirit plane, people of like interest and spiritual development tend to flock together, like birds of a feather,.

Thanks Jim, I had wondered if it was more to do with the latter. It makes more sense to me.

Loneblossom
Loneblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Loneblossom Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 pm

KatyKing wrote:Unless they come to their senses on this side then I suspect that Esther and Jerry Hicks of 'Ask and it shall be given' and related lucrative drivel notoriety may have a tad of explaining to do at some stage.
Law of Attraction has been married with prosperity 'gospel' and spawned an ugly child.
We hear echoes of it whenever some deluded soul claims that an angel found them a parking spot.
It aint Spiritualism any more than is 'Natural Law' which is redrafted regularly depending on the whim of the interpreter thereof and stems originally from eugenicist dabblers in Spiritualism during the bad old days.

I see.
Loneblossom
Loneblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Loneblossom wrote:The Law of Attraction – I had no idea that this was a part of Modern Spiritualism.

Is it the same as the Law of Attraction espoused by The Secret by Rhonda Byrne and also numerous books by Abraham-Hicks?
Has the popularity of these books had an effect on Modern Spiritualism? For example, have they made more people interested in Spiritualism or changed people's perception of Spiritualism (positively or negatively)?

Rhonda found a good way to attract peoples money to accrue to their own wealth, they borrowed the idea from an original Natural Law but as ever all Natural laws have a compesatory counter effect i.e. in this case the gain to their bank account is equal and opposite to the loss from yours as you buy something you had no need todo.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 am

Admin wrote:
Loneblossom wrote:The Law of Attraction – I had no idea that this was a part of Modern Spiritualism.

Rhonda found a good way to attract peoples money to accrue to their own wealth, they borrowed the idea from an original Natural Law but as ever all Natural laws have a compesatory counter effect i.e. in this case the gain to their bank account is equal and opposite to the loss from yours as you buy something you had no need todo.

I remember getting excited when The Secret was going to be shown on TV here, thinking that at last some spiritual values would get some mainstream exposure. Alas it was 90% about making money and a very scanty 10% on spiritual ideas whoich seemed tacked on the end as a token gesture.

What seems to get buried in this sort of stuff is the less rosy side where you will attract that which you most need to learn, and that is not always a "like attracts like" scenario.

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm

'Be careful what you wish for'
so said Egbert Clegge.
A man who said he would give his life for music.
And was crushed to death when a grand piano fell on him.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by skfarblum Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:38 pm

"Silver Birch attributes his wonder and admiration to the Mind that brought these Laws into being. He terms this Mind as part of the 'Great Spirit'.

Would Great Spirit be chaos with a hidden algorithm (Mind) ?
Our Universe arose from chaos.
Just a thought.
Stephen
skfarblum
skfarblum

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm

KatyKing wrote:'Be careful what you wish for'
so said Egbert Clegge.
A man who said he would give his life for music.
And was crushed to death when a grand piano fell on him.

Laughing

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Law of attraction and Birds of a Feather were the same as taught in Lyceum [Spiritualist Sunday School more or less defunct these days] But these days its been kidnapped for back up to some very dodgy and selfish interpretations such as the Hicks books and DVDs.
We know Birds of a Feather is true on this side. Visit any self selecting ghetto be it underclass or upper middle class. Same idea in Spiritualist churches. There' a commonality amongst regulars even though we may be quite different personalitie underneath we are very similar. There's a resonance about Spiritualists that is more noticeable as worldly dissonance expands and extends.
I seem to see more road rage hear more swearing and anger even fighting sometimes on the way to work and sometimes even at work than ever was the case even just five years ago. City centre is like a drunken version of Bedlam each Friday and Saturday night.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by taushin Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Left Behind wrote:The same term means different things in different contexts.

To us, "survivalism" means something like "the continuation of the individual soul or personality in another plane of existence, after dissolution of the earthly body."

Similarly, I'm getting the feeling that "law of attraction" has something to do with "name it and claim it", as used in the "prosperity Gospel"?

Jim

if my understanding of natural laws is accurate, these are laws that have been in place whenever the Great Spirit/god/infinite intelligence said let there be light, the creation of all things within the mind of beginning.
these laws govern both the physical and spiritual planes, governing both aspect of the human being, both the body and the spirit of man. the law of attraction is a spiritual law, to me, more so than i wish it i get it, the spiritual growth is answered by the law of attraction like attract light. if you are on a path of higher understanding and set that intention then things: people, teachers, companions, fellow student, situation will come into your life to help you, to challenge you, to test you to get you to accomplish your intent. it is not for i want that girl and snap she is there, no it is not for that, dispite what our lust and desires might want, we get those too but that is on a much lower level of the working of the laws, at least that is my opinion.
taushin
taushin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum