SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon

+2
_Leslie_
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon Empty Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon

Post by Admin Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 am

Sunday Times Article

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/120401/Plus/plus_014.html
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon Empty Re: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 am

And never any mention of his membership of Freemasonry... They always seem to leave that out.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon Empty Re: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Spiritualist in Ceylon

Post by Loneblossom Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 am

I didn't know that he came to Australia for a speaking tour but then again I don't know very much about ACD!! Smile Very interesting. I have 2 of his 'spiritualism' books to read, I'm looking forward to it.
Loneblossom
Loneblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Loneblossom wrote:I didn't know that he came to Australia for a speaking tour but then again I don't know very much about ACD!! Smile Very interesting. I have 2 of his 'spiritualism' books to read, I'm looking forward to it.

Books on Spiritualism by ACD:

Spiritualism
— The New Revelation [1918]
— Vital Message [1919]
— The Wanderings of a Spiritualist [1921]
The Coming of the Fairies [1922]
— Our American Adventure [1923]
— Our Second American Adventure [1924]
— The History of Spiritualism [1926]
— Pheneas Speaks [1927]
— Our African Winter [1929]
— The Edge of the Unknown [1930]

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 pm

_Leslie_ wrote:And never any mention of his membership of Freemasonry... They always seem to leave that out.

Yes, and it was unusual for someone raised Roman Catholic, in that era, to become a Freemason.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 pm

zerdini wrote:
Loneblossom wrote:I didn't know that he came to Australia for a speaking tour but then again I don't know very much about ACD!! Smile Very interesting. I have 2 of his 'spiritualism' books to read, I'm looking forward to it.

Books on Spiritualism by ACD:

Spiritualism
— The New Revelation [1918]
— Vital Message [1919]
— The Wanderings of a Spiritualist [1921]
The Coming of the Fairies [1922]
— Our American Adventure [1923]
— Our Second American Adventure [1924]
— The History of Spiritualism [1926]
— Pheneas Speaks [1927]
— Our African Winter [1929]
— The Edge of the Unknown [1930]

Thanks for the Bibliography, Z. I didn't realize that ACD had published so many books on Spiritualism.

He certainly travelled a great deal on behalf of Spiritualism. I suppose in some ways he was like the St. Paul of the movement.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:29 am

Here you go Loneblossom pdf copy of Wanderings of a Spiritualist downloadable right click on the pdf version on teh left menu save to a folder. Its quicker.

One word of warning ACD tended to mangle the real history at times, was often to gullible on what was fairly clear evidence of fraud and was very Christian. He was one of the driving forces to get the eighth principle into the SNU Principles the "Christ Principle" but that is another.

However, he did very much good for Spiritualism in the world and his books are always worth reading (by 10 years old I had read all the Sherlock Holmes books knowing nothing then of Spiritualism).

Vol 1 of the History of Spiritualism can be downloaded here
http://archive.org/details/historyofspiritu015638mbp
Vol 2 is not available at that source but a text version is around on Project Gutenberg.
The Coming of the Fairies
http://archive.org/stream/cu31924028957599#page/n41/mode/2up

The New Revelation
http://archive.org/details/newrevelation00doyluoft

The Vital Message
http://archive.org/details/cu31924028954281

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loneblossom Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:03 am

This is great, I had no idea about how many books Conan Doyle wrote on Spiritualism.

Now, thanks to Zerdini for the biblio and Jim for the links, my ACD library consists of th following books:
The History of Spiritualism Vol 1
The New Revelation
The Vital Message
The Wanderings of a Spiritualist
The Coming of the Fairies
Loneblossom
Loneblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:01 pm

It is 2012 comrades.
Worrying trend in any movement when ancient texts become received wisdom. Here in the UK the Strict Baptist Historical Socirty has a lively website but there are no Strict Baptist churches of sufficient life remaining to maintain a web presence.
We need to be wary of nostalgic historicity. I was born into and lived through some of the 'good old days' of Spiriitualism. It was fusty and dusty,unlike today.
The 'great men writing on great matters' textual style and fashion of the early 20ht century a la ACD and Findlay need to be treated with caution and through the lens of each Spiritualists own live experiience otherwise they have nothing of value to communicate.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 am

In some ways true but half the worlds problems recur because mankinds ego thinks it can learn nothing from the past. Read, learn, reject and use the knowledge to inform the present and to help be more selective for the future.

Much of what is today new was new once before and had no value then. 2012 is a great example as too many excited people wait for the great transition which has been coming for so long now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Very Happy Careful Jim 2012s not over yet.
I'm not superstitious [fingers crossed ] but best not tempt providence.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 am

I think if 2012m brings anything it will not be theHoffnman view of people still being on our planet, seen by all of us but having attained their own transition to the fifth dimension. Worst case 2012 could see a realignment of the polar centres with an earth movement which destroys most of us. I believe science agrees that this has occured before. Remember those fast dissappearing polar ice caps are a counter weight to keep the earths revolutions finely balanced.

So 2012 but not as the ascentionist prophets preach it, if it occurs the queues in Spirit waiting rooms will be rather large. Now let us remember Mayan legend, like that of all hill tribes world wide, record a devastating flood which affected all the then religous views.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Maybe the Mayans just ran out of stone on that calendar they carved and the one for 2013
onwards hasn't been found yet.
Hope so especially if it prophesies me winning the lottery or the old Premium Bonds coughing up a much anticipated million quids.
That global warming could do to check in round here. It flippin snowed yesterday and I've ten rows of spuds still waiting to be planted.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down