SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member: Central Queensland

+3
KatyKing
_Leslie_
Moonchild
7 posters

Go down

New Member: Central Queensland Empty New Member: Central Queensland

Post by Moonchild Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:43 am

Hello all, my name is Codi and I am from Central Queensland. I am a pagan and a Buddhist (I mix them together Laughing ) and I quite enjoy it.
Not much to say, which is strange for me, I usually have a million things to say Laughing

Thank You
Moonchild
Moonchild
Moonchild

Back to top Go down

New Member: Central Queensland Empty Re: New Member: Central Queensland

Post by _Leslie_ Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 am

Hello Codi, welcome to the forum Smile
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Welcome
:-)
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:18 pm

And joining a website about the religion and philosophy of (Modern) Spiritualism?

Should be something different for you....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Post modern surely?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchild Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:51 am

Post modern, yes.
Oh, hello mac, its Dragonfhain Smile
Moonchild
Moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:43 am

Moonchild wrote:Post modern, yes.

I thought it was probably you... Smile Hope being here is what you were looking for?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 am

KatyKing wrote:Post modern surely?

post modern?

I've been struggling for a couple of years (or longer!) just to get folk to accept the term 'Modern Spiritualism' as part of my continued attempt to show how spirituality isn't Spiritualism - I don't think I'm making much ground but I keep trying.

Ironic, eh, as I feel that Modern Spiritualism has just about run its course anyway, that it's moribund. But I still love all it teaches, all it tells us about 'stuff' that many of us fear, or used to fear.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:33 pm

It's a subjective call mac.
Early Modern = Shakers through Southcottians and Owenites - to....
Modern = Fox Sisters to passing of the Dorises and Gordon Higginson era - to...
Late modern = From then 'til first refereed journal paper on Spiritualism - to...
Post Modern =Since paranthropology accepted as a PhD context and 'new history' approaches appear and began to be disseminated a la psypioneer.

Those are academic conveniences in no way circumscribing anyone's lived experience within the movement. It's always a few years before research in the academy impacts on the 'faith' on the ground. Early echoes are an improvement in critical analysis and better journalism in faith media. As we see in new PN contrasted to old school Two Worlds.
This website is a post modern context as it is 'unauthorised text' and as such not mediated any single 'old order modern' spiritualist narrative. You didn't get that until the post modern 'turn'
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Not mediated BY any single...
What will eventually and inevitably happen. Not in my time I suspect. Is that SNU and GW type causes will shrink to elderly 'faithful remnant' quasi heritage groups renacting old ways in changed times. The model today would be the 'Strict Baptists' as faithful remnant of the regular 'modern' Baptist Union baptists or the FIEC contrasted [nd come out from]to the Methodists.
Ironically [And the PoMo is big on irony] the cutting edge PoMo spiritualist grouping in the UK is the Corinthians who outwardly and to the spiritualist from a traditional background could resemble Xtian Spiritualists whilst in fact being nothing of the sort. Their motto being
The Spiritual Way Open to All
It's their enacted inclusion that causes them to be PoMo and consequently quite different from anything else currently available on the 'menu' of UK spiritualist groups.
An organization of individuals! Bit like Spiritualismlink.
How PoMo is that?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm much more simple-minded in my approach. If I can just get over to folk the differences between (Modern) Spiritualism and spirituality I'll be contented.

Many online contributors elsewhere have absolutely no idea that there's a difference. I use 'Modern' to try to emphasise that Modern Spiritualism is a religion - that's all.

All the 'post modern' vs. 'modern' stuff isn't important to me.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Quite right too mac. At the end of the day it's all just some words.
Keeps some of us in 'indoor work with no heavy lifting involved' mind you.
I do agree with you on spiritualism v spirituality.
Chalk and Cheese.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:44 pm

mac wrote:
KatyKing wrote:Post modern surely?

post modern?

I've been struggling for a couple of years (or longer!) just to get folk to accept the term 'Modern Spiritualism' as part of my continued attempt to show how spirituality isn't Spiritualism - I don't think I'm making much ground but I keep trying.

Ironic, eh, as I feel that Modern Spiritualism has just about run its course anyway, that it's moribund. But I still love all it teaches, all it tells us about 'stuff' that many of us fear, or used to fear.

I think the "Modern" part might be confusing them more, Mac. I'd be happy if they could understand the distinction between Spiritualism and spirituality.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 pm

I think Jim we have to have the modern in, over here we have "Spiritualist" churches that effectively reject the idea the Fox Sisters were in any way important and take Spiritualism out of that dubious source of accurate information the Bible. A very strange mixture as you can bet they love quoting Silver Birch. Often have their own odd Principles, self created, usually a Bible, hymns and the Lords Prayer.

In some ways I would be more comfortable with the metaphysical Spiritualists who add all of the new age bits in on a mix and match basis with little bother to discern reality. Most of those places are in for a shock when we reach January 2013 with no great changes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchild Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:17 am

mac wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Post modern, yes.

I thought it was probably you... Smile Hope being here is what you were looking for?
Oh yes it is. Thank you!
Moonchild
Moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:29 am

Very Happy I really like the idea of a pagan Buddhist. Million miles away from Jims eclectic Christian Spiritualists in one way but in another they are right next door. Mix n match is creative decoration and Spirit's at the heart of all inspired creativity.
Good on ya Cori Dragonfhain-Moonchild.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:41 am

Hi Codi, where in Queensland are you?
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Why do I keep getting the image of Lisa Simpson; Bart's sister?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down