SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Financial rewards and Mediumship

+3
KatyKing
zerdini
Quiet
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Financial rewards and Mediumship Empty Financial rewards and Mediumship

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:03 am

I decided not to pursue this topic. Nothing to be gained by it Smile

Last edited by Quiet on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Financial rewards and Mediumship Empty Re: Financial rewards and Mediumship

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 am

Ditto above Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 am

Quiet wrote:I decided not to pursue this topic. Nothing to be gained by it Smile

Why start the subject in the first place? Rolling Eyes

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 am

zerdini wrote:
Quiet wrote:I decided not to pursue this topic. Nothing to be gained by it Smile

Why start the subject in the first place? Rolling Eyes

I simply changed my mind about wanting to discuss the topic Smile.

The forum software does not allow anyone other than admins. to delete threads, however. Otherwise I would have.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Pity - it would have made an interesting topic. Smile

P.S. You can delete a post even if you can't delete a thread.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Seems like an interesting topic.
Chap told me at our last mini sittings session [£3 for fifteen minutes] that he knew of a 'medium and healer' in London charging £500 per 'consultation' and getting it!
There have always been some more interested in the fleece than the flock.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:36 pm

I withdrew because I thought such a discussion could be very difficult and I was not sure that it is within the power of any of us here do do anything about some of the things that happen.

Some very good people I know are very much in favour of good mediums being able to earn a reasonable living from mediumship and I have nothing against that either. Most good mediums I know earn very little and what they do earn supplements already meagre incomes.

I do wonder at the celebrity mediums like John Edwards who charges at least $500 for personal readings but who knows what else he does for very little or no financial return. I also believe he is a very good medium and spreads the message in an effective way to a far wider audience than many less well known mediums can.

When I was writing the original post I thought that discussions like this can become slanderous to no purpose and deleted my comments.

I think it is up individuals how they value their time and gifts. Those who are fraudulent or lesser quality end up exposed eventually anyway. They can be charged with obtaining money by deception as well.

I belonged to a tarot forum once and in my early years there thought I might be able to supplement my income in later years through tarot but I think I was caught up in the fancy of it all then Smile.

I think does need a good code of ethics, sense of boundaries and strong self-awareness to function ethically as a commercial tarot reader and the same probably applies to independent mediumship.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Also, I feel that if Spirit did not want people to work with others through genuine mediumship they would withdraw the capacity. None of us have a complete overview of what is happening in these events anyway.

One thing I noticed as a tarot reader is that the engagement with the sitter was often as important as what was said.

It made me realise how lonely people are at times and how much we all need some kind of spiritual connection with others.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't really know anything about Tarot.

Mediumship and money? I suspect it's like acting, or music: a very tiny percentage of people who try to make money from it make a bundle of it, some make a barebones living, and most don't even do that.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I did a last minute cover this evening as booked medium is poorly. Half past six til eight and not been back long. 90 minutes straight all messages no hymns . 35 in at £2 each donation plus a pound for the raffle. £10 for petrol money and more offered. Balance to church funds and I'd not have missed doing it for the world.
Lovely folk, nice to be asked and beats being stuck in front of the rubbish on TV but I'll sleep tonight..
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 pm

KatyKing wrote:I did a last minute cover this evening as booked medium is poorly. Half past six til eight and not been back long. 90 minutes straight all messages no hymns . 35 in at £2 each donation plus a pound for the raffle. £10 for petrol money and more offered. Balance to church funds and I'd not have missed doing it for the world.
Lovely folk, nice to be asked and beats being stuck in front of the rubbish on TV but I'll sleep tonight..

That is how I feel it is best done and mostly it is at the ground level Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:26 pm

We have tarot readers [members daughters] for church socials and one of them runs a tarot training group. Can't see the harm in it myself but our SNU neighbour church thinks it's dreadful what we allow.
Same as Jim I don't know much about it beyond it seems to me like a lot to have to remember all those different symbols. Very popular though. Would you say Q that tarot is more along the lines of psychic as opposed to mediumship or maybe a bit of both?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm

What on earth is wrong with having a discussion about any subject?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:57 pm

KatyKing wrote:I did a last minute cover this evening as booked medium is poorly. Half past six til eight and not been back long. 90 minutes straight all messages no hymns . 35 in at £2 each donation plus a pound for the raffle. £10 for petrol money and more offered. Balance to church funds and I'd not have missed doing it for the world.

You were there, tonight and always, Peter, for the right reasons. Smile

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Crying or Very sad Cracking night. It was raining cats and dogs all day so those who turned out REALLY wanted to be there. Back to work 'reality' in the morning after half term vac and a long six week slow grind til Easter hols. It's amazing how vac weeks fly past but work weeks move like glaciers very slowly. 34 flippin' years I've done so far and still can't afford to retire . With a good lawyer I'd have only served half of that for murder and then, as an unemployable; the state would have had to keep me!
Very best two good things left in teaching these days = July & August
Grrrrrrrrr
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 pm

KatyKing wrote:We have tarot readers [members daughters] for church socials and one of them runs a tarot training group. Can't see the harm in it myself but our SNU neighbour church thinks it's dreadful what we allow.
Same as Jim I don't know much about it beyond it seems to me like a lot to have to remember all those different symbols. Very popular though. Would you say Q that tarot is more along the lines of psychic as opposed to mediumship or maybe a bit of both?

Tarot is merely symbolic language, KK, and there is a lot of diversity in its use. It helped me develop my intuition and was one of the paths by which I came to development. I rarely read for others now but I do ask Spirit to speak with me through Tarot images sometimes. That is for purely personal use when I am really tired or unable to be receive anything any other way.

Some people in centres here use Tarot in their mediumship but I am a little dubious about what I've seen in this regard. I did experience evidential mediumship through an American reader a few months ago, however, and that was quite an amazing experience. In my experience that is rare, however.

To answer your question, though, I do think that using Tarot is more along the lines of psychic though many in Tarot communities would disagree. There is huge disagreement about what it all means, which is OK too, We are all really different.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Thought so. Thanks for that answer Q. It's certainly popular and if tarot can be a pathway to spiritual progress then that's all to the good. Florence Maryatt talks about laying the cards and that was way back so we do have an historic precedent . I wonder sometimes why one path is seen as OK whilst another is a no no. Chap I know was drummed out of his church when they found out he was doing tarot at psychic fayres for pin money.
I've been billed as a psychic medium [not by myself in church calendar] but I prefer just 'medium'. Then again the old adage that
all mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums
is as valid now as ever it was I suppose.
It's certainly easier to give information via the psychic but that's seldom survival-evidential whick I see as a medium's primary task and calling.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 pm

"To answer your question, though, I do think that using Tarot is more along the lines of psychic though many in Tarot communities would disagree. There is huge disagreement about what it all means, which is OK too, We are all really different."

Isn't, though, that disagreement over what it means a significant weakness?

I've discussed this subject elsewhere trying to get a handle on what's happening but from the data provided by its practitioners I concluded that Tarot appears mostly psychic (as you suggested) and hence has whatever limitations psychic work may be expected to have....

I found precious little evidence in that data of reliable discarnate (spiritual) communication even though there was a tacit suggestion that Tarot involved a spiritual component.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 pm

KatyKing wrote:Thought so. Thanks for that answer Q. It's certainly popular and if tarot can be a pathway to spiritual progress then that's all to the good. Florence Maryatt talks about laying the cards and that was way back so we do have an historic precedent . I wonder sometimes why one path is seen as OK whilst another is a no no. Chap I know was drummed out of his church when they found out he was doing tarot at psychic fayres for pin money.
I've been billed as a psychic medium [not by myself in church calendar] but I prefer just 'medium'. Then again the old adage that
all mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums
is as valid now as ever it was I suppose.
It's certainly easier to give information via the psychic but that's seldom survival-evidential whick I see as a medium's primary task and calling.

I'm usually in trouble elsewhere on the issues of mediumship, psychism and Spiritualism. (capital S note) Only recently it happened when I asked forum contributors what they saw as mediumship. In that thread - and in many others I've run or been a part of - there is a regular assertion that 'mediumship' is being able to 'communicate/speak with spirit'. Hence 'mediumship' often means one's personal attribute of communicating with whatever discarnate one discerns.

By contrast (and keeping it simple) I explain that (in Spiritualism) an evidential medium acts as a go-between, a third party facilitating communication between folk 'over-there' and folk here. And if an individual is able to communicate with discarnates it's simply communication - not necessarily mediumship.

One cause of confusion could be TV shows and/or movies where mediums and psychics are seen as the same thing. Hence the linkage resulting in 'psychic medium' rather than 'evidential medium'.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Mac its the constant battle, interestingly I seem to be winning it a bit more now. Several of the exercises I use make the non involvement of Spirit in activities obvious. Given I also Dowse I explain a dowsers view of how we make contact in relation to teh various versions of an unknown force ( Ether, Animal magnetism, Odic, Crookes & Cox Psychic Force etc etc).

No problem with people using tarot in this context and an understanding that all they sense could well just be their own sub conscious. I still will run into the odd one's who believe all they hear or others tell them that they hear is from Spirit without any discernment.

At least we are getting a decent turn out for Fridays Trance and Transfiguration where Lis and the Victorian medium Joanne King will be working in tandem. Another chance to tell it like it is.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

I'd written much the same mac then kindle lost it in posting.
All mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums. Some of what passes for platform mediumship is psychic and one of the foci in development is differentiation between the two. I think the psychic involves the sitter and reader in concert far more than discarnate influences although those may come through. Mediums hopefully communicate survival evidence first with anything else the 'jam' on what should be our bread and butter role. I don't especially like the title 'psychic medium' but that' s just me, each to their own. Interestingly and I suspect for commercial not spiritual reasons our insurance precludes using 'psychic'in advertising. The insurance company does offer cover for psychics and tarot readers on their website and it's twice the price of the deal we get with them for mediumship and healing combined cover via our association's group discount.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Very Happy Mediums in England working with a 'Victorian medium' would tend to be linking with someone who passed in Queen Victoria's time Jim.
Not so in oz eh?

KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm

lol no although with the inter state rivalries over here cooperation like this is a nice change.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:49 pm

PS
Have you come across Phil Rickman's books Jim?
Cracking paranormal mysteries some with a dowsing theme.
Mrs KK is a great fan and introduced me [not usually a fiction buff].
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 pm

No I haven't I will take a look thanks
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content