SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychic charged with theft of $15,000

4 posters

Go down

Psychic charged with theft of $15,000 Empty Psychic charged with theft of $15,000

Post by Admin Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Its the old I have to rid you of a malevolent Spirit ruse..One I hear of all to often.
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/15/3431753/psychic-charged-with-theft.html
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Psychic charged with theft of $15,000 Empty Re: Psychic charged with theft of $15,000

Post by Quiet Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Admin wrote:Its the old I have to rid you of a malevolent Spirit ruse..One I hear of all to often.
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/15/3431753/psychic-charged-with-theft.html

I wonder about 'buyer beware' thinking. Is it illegal to sell so-called psychic services? Are people protected against this kind of fraud by consumer protection laws?

A comparison - people lose thousands to pokie machines, which are unsafe products, but they can't go to the police to complain that they were deluded into paying out their money. Of course, this is because the pokies have not yet been declared unsafe products Smile. And likely never will be.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Psychic charged with theft of $15,000 Empty Re: Psychic charged with theft of $15,000

Post by Quiet Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 pm

I checked the article again. The so-called psychic was charged with deception.

I suppose that is why mediums in private practice need professional indemnity insurance.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 pm

In England We need both professional indemnity AND public liability insurance. Clients are protected by criminal law as we all are AND under onsumer protection legislation. The commercial sites and readers need a caveat 'or entertainment purposes only'in advertising. Registered bodies will say 'each reading is an experiment'. None of the above protects the unwary from con artists and those are the ones running the curse removal rackets. We had a spate of those in a local city a couple of years ago targeting the wealthy Indian community. When rumbled the 'lady' in question fled the country and is presumably continuing her filthy trade elsewhere. I always direct email enquirers who are out of our catchment to their local spiritualist church. When you see what they charge per minute for some of these telephone readings in glossy Spirit interest mags and on the satellite TV it's a crying shame that SNU etc don't more widely publicise the availability of ethical sittings at reasonable fees that most churches offer. It would be a good way to get our message across and bring in new blood. Church I know has grown since advertising mini ' taster' readings. Three pouunds for fifteen minutes and they are queuing out of the door when we do those one Saturday a month. Some who come for that return for regular meetings.
Given the cost of petrol etc and the time then I think we should charge except for those who can't afford it for platform work away from home church and most sittings but I' m not comfortable with charging for healing so don't. That said those who do healing full time deserve a fair living. The only people making any real money seem to be the stage mediums and even they probably only get the equivalent of a good wage once you factor out their costs plus you are only as good as the last gig and there's no pension or security being self employed.
The con merchants aren't spiritualists at all they are just heartless crooks and for all we carp about SNU and the other reptable spiritualist groups at least they have a code of ethics. Personally I'd insist on enhanced CRB clearance being mandatory for mediums and healers such as we have in teaching. I reckon the only reason that hasn't happened is that in doing so the government might be seen to be officialy recognising mediumship and the Bishops in our legislative House of Lords wouldn't want that.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 pm

What you call pokies in oz here in England are termed [or were when you had to pull down a lever arm to work them] 'One armed bandits'.
There's a tale told of one pensioner Lily Dale medium who holidays in Reno one year and Las Vegas the next who intuits when some gambling machines are due to pay out . They do say that always returns from her hols with far more cash than she set out with.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:18 pm

KatyKing wrote:What you call pokies in oz here in England are termed [or were when you had to pull down a lever arm to work them] 'One armed bandits'.
There's a tale told of one pensioner Lily Dale medium who holidays in Reno one year and Las Vegas the next who intuits when some gambling machines are due to pay out . They do say that always returns from her hols with far more cash than she set out with.

Who knows! I think she was possibly just lucky however Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Psychic charged with theft of $15,000 593759 Probably. If it really worked then there would be a lot of wealthy mediums.
Must admit to having a go on the lottery but never had spirit help in selecting any winning numbers.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 pm

One of my teachers used to say that Spirit are not really interested in anything but our spiritual advancement, which isn't aligned to material possessions.

But they (Spirit) always looked after her when she really needed something.

My own guess is that she was so committed to her work and therefore so important to Spirit that they always ensured that her basic needs were met.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Yep my old Dad said similar
If spirit wants you to do it spirit will see you are kept.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 am

KatyKing wrote:In England We need both professional indemnity AND public liability insurance. Clients are protected by criminal law as we all are AND under onsumer protection legislation. The commercial sites and readers need a caveat 'or entertainment purposes only'in advertising. Registered bodies will say 'each reading is an experiment' <SNIP>

I'm not inferring that it is not wise to have insurance (indeed 'I do' have it), but I am curious as to why you write "We need both professional indemnity AND public liability insurance"? Where is this written as a requirement please?
Can you also direct me to where within the new legislation / consumer protection action that it 'actually' states it is a requirement to add "For Entertainment Values"? As I've read it and can't find it, have spoken to trading standards officers who are responsible for enforcing it, and they can't assist either?
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Professional Indemnity speaks for itself. Public liability to work in halls and non spiritualist church venues . It's £5 million minimum cover now needed to work a local authority hall.
All info available from insurance company and you'll find the NU do a good deal for members.
For entertainment purposes you'll see at the end of all commercial ads in the Mind Spirit glossies and the 'for experiment' clause you can find on SNU, GW, SAGB website etc.
Sorry but I can't direct you to the specific clause in the legislation as I've no idea where that is. I just waddle along advised by our profesional body insurers. What cover they say we need I have.
HTH
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:37 pm

All info available from insurance company and you'll find the SNU do a good deal for members.

Can spell professional just can't type very well.
:-)
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks Katy,

Sorry if I sound 'picky' its just that with you saying "In England We need both professional indemnity AND public liability insurance." (though I can see the sense in having it) - your words inferred to me that it was compulsory - implying that within the UK it was a legal requirement - hence my question.

With respect to the "For entertainment purposes" I believe OfCom posted a letter to Rev'd Camborne-Paynter (dated 4th Sept 2008) stating "there is nothing in principle requiring broadcasters to carry disclaimers..." adding (in response to his questions about working as a medium within a church etc.. ) "However, there would be no requirement for such clarification where these act are carried out in the sense you describe...").

As I understand it, the response of posting such statements is 'NOT' a requirement and something that has developed once again from the misinterpretation of the facts (fear?) - My question to you (as you portrayed it 'as' being a requirement' was in case things had changed since OfCom's original response on the matter.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:41 pm

KatyKing wrote:All info available from insurance company and you'll find the SNU do a good deal for members.

Can spell professional just can't type very well.
:-)

I'm not looking for insurance, I wrote earlier -> "I'm not inferring that it is not wise to have insurance (indeed 'I do' have it)" Smile But thank you for the info.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Katy - if you send me your email address (via PM) I could forward you (or anyone else ) PDF copies of OfComs resposnce - and the original letter to them if you wish (not sure how to add them here within a post Wink )
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down