SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Independent Spiritualists Association USA

+3
KatyKing
mac
Admin
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Independent Spiritualists Association USA - Page 2 Empty Re: Independent Spiritualists Association USA

Post by Left Behind Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:28 pm

_Leslie_ wrote:Jim.... you need to get out more Wink

Seriously, I'm a little surprised that you've never met anyone, given the number of dedicated 'spiritualist camps' and retreats etc that have been established for a considerable number of years.
But is it something people go around (anywhere in the World) announcing to others? Seems to just 'crop' up on the odd occasion in conversation over here in the UK, then its normally 'oh'... you're one of them Smile

My point is that in all of my wanderings, I've never seen a Spiritualist church, or met anyone who identified as a Spiritualist. Yet I've encountered. . . Mormons, Moonies, Amish, Mennonites, Reformed Episcopalians, Primitive Methodists, Hasidic Jews, Unitarians, Sikhs, Hindus, Moslems, Theosophists, Rosicrucians, Eckankar . . .

I don't doubt that there is a lot of Spiritualist activity, but it has to be centered around certain places. And those places must be few, and far between.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Independent Spiritualists Association USA - Page 2 Empty Re: Independent Spiritualists Association USA

Post by mac Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Left Behind wrote:

Seriously, I'm a little surprised that you've never met anyone, given the number of dedicated 'spiritualist camps' and retreats etc that have been established for a considerable number of years.
But is it something people go around (anywhere in the World) announcing to others? Seems to just 'crop' up on the odd occasion in conversation over here in the UK, then its normally 'oh'... you're one of them Smile

My point is that in all of my wanderings, I've never seen a Spiritualist church, or met anyone who identified as a Spiritualist. Yet I've encountered. . . Mormons, Moonies, Amish, Mennonites, Reformed Episcopalians, Primitive Methodists, Hasidic Jews, Unitarians, Sikhs, Hindus, Moslems, Theosophists, Rosicrucians, Eckankar . . .

I don't doubt that there is a lot of Spiritualist activity, but it has to be centered around certain places. And those places must be few, and far between.

"I don't doubt that there is a lot of Spiritualist activity...."

I doubt it, Jim... Neutral

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

mac wrote:
Left Behind wrote:

"I don't doubt that there is a lot of Spiritualist activity...."

I doubt it, Jim... Neutral

There I go, being overly optimistic again! Laughing

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by tmmw Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Jim and Mac,
I live in the northeast and I found a wonderful Spiritualist community just a mere 6 hours away, you get used to the drive especially if you have a funny gps buddy talking to you while you travel, lol.

Seriously, I agree that it is hard to find a good Spiritualist church around here. Some close for the winter months. I don't travel that much any more and have given up searching for the time being. I am thankful to these forums along with "Physic News" and "Two Worlds" to keep me up to date with what's going on in the world. Also the many, many books that are written about Spiritualism are very informative.
Lynn

tmmw

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 am

tmmw wrote:Hi Jim and Mac,
I live in the northeast and I found a wonderful Spiritualist community just a mere 6 hours away, you get used to the drive especially if you have a funny gps buddy talking to you while you travel, lol.

Seriously, I agree that it is hard to find a good Spiritualist church around here. Some close for the winter months. I don't travel that much any more and have given up searching for the time being. I am thankful to these forums along with "Physic News" and "Two Worlds" to keep me up to date with what's going on in the world. Also the many, many books that are written about Spiritualism are very informative.
Lynn

After towing our fifth wheel around for the past seven years I'm kinda used to bigger distances than back home but I gotta say that even my beloved Spiritualism wouldn't be important enough for a six hour drive - no matter whether your GPS buddy or Rand McNally is guiding the way! Laughing

Seriously, though, Spiritualism isn't found only in our Spiritualist churches or centers. Spiritualism can't be found in any single place or even a number of them. It's found, though, wherever individuals use its philosophy to enable them to make some kinda sense of a world which often seems to make no sense without it. It ain't just about 'the spooks', it's not just about death.

It's about living, about passing over, about continuing to live and sometimes hearing from those who've done it recently - everything else revolves around those simple ideas.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:50 am

Yes mac, in a nutshell. If we realise that we do not die, the question becomes 'How should I live?'
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by tmmw Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:44 am

mac wrote:
tmmw wrote:Hi Jim and Mac,

Lynn

After towing our fifth wheel around for the past seven years I'm kinda used to bigger distances than back home but I gotta say that even my beloved Spiritualism wouldn't be important enough for a six hour drive - no matter whether your GPS buddy or Rand McNally is guiding the way! Laughing

Seriously, though, Spiritualism isn't found only in our Spiritualist churches or centers. Spiritualism can't be found in any single place or even a number of them. It's found, though, wherever individuals use its philosophy to enable them to make some kinda sense of a world which often seems to make no sense without it. It ain't just about 'the spooks', it's not just about death.

It's about living, about passing over, about continuing to live and sometimes hearing from those who've done it recently - everything else revolves around those simple ideas.

Thanks for that, well stated and the best advice ever.

Lynn

tmmw

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm

You're absolutely correct, Mac. I'm a Spiritualist, even if I'm not a medium, don't have a medium, don't go to a Spiritualist church. I'm on forums, I read books and periodicals, I think about it. I've received evidential messages that have convinced me that the spirit world has been reached.

It influences my views and the way I live. And that's what really matters.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

That about sums it up Jim. Spiritualism is either lived experience or it's nothing. All the rest, meetings, churches etc is just the icing on the cake.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Indeed and of course once a Spiritualist you are likely to remain one. However, you do not need the churches or constant proof. QED if they are not delivering a wlcome, an intelligent point of meeting with like minds, decent philosophy and good mediumship then there is no point in going. The path may be a little lonelier but thats better than going to places that offer little or nothing worthwhile, especially if they are as grey and old fashioned as conventional Christian places.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Church I attend when not out working I'd say that we get 'em via evidence but keep 'em as much through the social side. That said most of the social activities have a spiritualist theme.Psychic fish &chip supper coming up soon. It's hard to find psychic fish but we do have a very good bookng sec.
I visit some places that are grey and gloomy with the atmosphere reflecting on the membership but those are small struggling causes with older people stalwart as the day is long but perhaps resistant to change and not used to welcoming newcomers. So if any new faces do turn up they are less likely to return than they would to somewhere with a 'greeter'. I'm not anti SNU at all, was a Class B member for years and still in the SNUi; but it has to be said that the churches I go to that struggle are both SNU causes. Some of the SNU mediums don't seem to like working tiny meetings. so those I'm talking about are glad to get a 'petrol money' independent for the odd 'special'.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2