SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mediumship - Natural Or developed?

+7
zerdini
Quiet
Lis
_Leslie_
Admin
obiwan
hiorta
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mediumship - Natural Or developed? Empty Mediumship - Natural Or developed?

Post by hiorta Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:17 am

Looking at the rash of 'mediums' competitively touting for business today, the old saying that 'Mediums are born - not made' comes to mind.

Undoubtedly many fine Mediums emerged, some of them most reluctantly, in the period when such an ability was not exactly considered to be an advantage in Life. Helen Duncan was perhaps the classical example of this.

Society has moved on and those who were once condemned by the 'the Bible' brigade as the authority in such matters, now stand in a place of admiration in parts of Society. Of course, Society itself has broadened beyond recognition in that time.

It has to be asked though: where are those mediumistic gifted individuals of today? Are they still present? Is there a dearth of knowledgeable individuals who could assist the in training aspects, as in former times?

Has the proliferation of technology, with the resultant swamping in microwaves, had any kind of effect?
Has a more materially plentiful lifestyle helped or hindered?
Any thoughts?

Last edited by hiorta on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Mediumship - Natural Or developed? Empty Re: Mediumship - Natural Or developed?

Post by obiwan Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:57 am

Was Helen Duncan unwilling?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 am

H Hiorta,

How do we find Mediums? There are no school tests to see who has ability indeed most schools would be Horrified by the very idea.

There are a huge number of naturally talented people out there and I do not mean just the whacky ones I mean people with intelligence plus ability.

However without making the movement seem real they will just continue to live their lives without any contact with their abilities.

Jim

Last edited by Admin on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 am

That seems to be the core problem, in a nutshell, Jim.

'Mediumship' appears to have secured a slot somewhere close to conjurers and other tricksters in their public image.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 am

Quite right Hiorta and sadly too many of our" psychic mediums" ( or those who decide with very little evidence they have some Mediumsip ability) love it and make a lot of money from what they do, or else they feed their own egos.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi,

I think there is a great deal of confusion these days between working with 'Psychic' abilities and working 'Mediumistically' with 'Spirit'.

'Good' mediumship is I feel very much on the decline, partly because many who profess these days to me 'mediums' have no idea or interest in understanding or learning the fundamentals about 'who' or 'what' they are communicating with (many being ready to accept that any person in a vision *must* be a guide...). In fact I'd put my neck on the line and say that many of them make a 'psychic' connection with a person and think that all there is to it.

Even many of our 'Divine Services' are being stripped of their 'philosophy' - simply because (a) there's no interest and (b) because there's no ability.

Personally hiorta I think you make some valid observations, in my mind, it as if these days there's more of a rush to get a reading than understand the mechanics, value or importance of the message...

Take care
Leslie
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:06 pm

There is much truth in what you write Leslie. Certainly there is significant confusion about the difference between psychic and medium. There is also a sad lack of willingness on the part of many to actually take the time (or exercise the discipline) to really learn what mediumship is about, and how to discern the difference between one's imagination, psychic pick-up, and true spirit contact.

It is sad to see you write "many of our 'Divine Services' are being stripped of their 'philosophy' - simply because (a) there's no interest and (b) because there's no ability." Perhaps there really is no interest, or perhaps, those running the churches have no interest even though there are people who attend that do. Of course, there does seem to be a significant decline in the ability of many who call themselves mediums to actually talk about the philosophy. It is as if they do not consider the philosophy as part of mediumship, yet it is.

If we, and the churches, do not teach the philosophy, it will be lost, and without the philosophy Spiritualism is reduced to message giving without any greater purpose. Not what I want to see.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 am

Interesting. I have just finished an e-Book by Lorraine Holloway-White, an English medium about just this issue.

It is written for people who believe they may be what she calls 'natural born mediums'. She is quite critical of the Spiritualist Churches because she says they foster the belief that everyone can be a medium. She thinks that is just not possible if you want quality mediums. Mediumship development is wasted on people who are wannabes only and it can be damaging to them and others. She is quite upfront about this. She said there are plenty of natural born mediums and wants to encourage them.

She suggests that people without strong ability will only ever attract what she calls lower level energies, and that this is the type of medium being turned by Spiritualist Churches at the moment.

She does acknowledge that there are many good and well-meaning people in the Spiritualist movement, and some very good mediums but that the latter are diminishing in number.

She has a website. If you google her name, you'll find it easily Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 am

I would disagree with the lady on her point of attraction of 'low level.....' the attributes she describes as being innate are of course desirable, but are one aspect of our spiritual nature. The motive for seeking Mediumship surely determines, alongside the ability, the degree of blossoming.
I prefer the view that 'nothing is ever wasted' in this field.

This is an area of great interest and leads back to ideas like: just when did, say, mediumistic ability begin to bud within the Soul. For mediumistic ability, read also musical, artistic. and all the other 'innate' attributes of Soul.

Apologies if I've strayed from the subject of Spiritualism, the subject leads to ever deepening awareness of Life.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 am

Quiet wrote:Interesting. I have just finished an e-Book by Lorraine Holloway-White, an English medium about just this issue.

It is written for people who believe they may be what she calls 'natural born mediums'. She is quite critical of the Spiritualist Churches because she says they foster the belief that everyone can be a medium. She thinks that is just not possible if you want quality mediums. Mediumship development is wasted on people who are wannabes only and it can be damaging to them and others. She is quite upfront about this. She said there are plenty of natural born mediums and wants to encourage them.

She suggests that people without strong ability will only ever attract what she calls lower level energies, and that this is the type of medium being turned by Spiritualist Churches at the moment.

She does acknowledge that there are many good and well-meaning people in the Spiritualist movement, and some very good mediums but that the latter are diminishing in number.

I have read Lorraine-Holloway White's blogs and listened to her video on YouYube and remain remarkably unimpressed.

She proudly states she is not a Spiritualist and I would agree with her on that.

As far as I am concerned she is unknown in the UK apart from her own self-promotion and we all know the old adage:

"Self praise is no recommendation" or as the Latin phrase puts it: "laus in proprio ore sordescit".

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:47 am

zerdini wrote:
Quiet wrote:Interesting. I have just finished an e-Book by Lorraine Holloway-White, an English medium about just this issue.

I have read Lorraine-Holloway White's blogs and listened to her video on YouYube and remain remarkably unimpressed.

She proudly states she is not a Spiritualist and I would agree with her on that.

As far as I am concerned she is unknown in the UK apart from her own self-promotion and we all know the old adage:

"Self praise is no recommendation" or as the Latin phrase puts it: "laus in proprio ore sordescit".

My sentiments exactly Z. Her site didn't impress me either. She was on a site I visit too. In honesty I, found her arrogant, and it seems a good number of other people felt similar. She said the teachings from SNU churches are not for 'natural born mediums'. I mentioned Gordon Higginson. Saying he was a natural born medium and demonstrated mediumship from the age of 10, etc. I then mentioned he became president of the SNU and recognised teaching was important not only for natural born mediums but for those who had a desire to become one. I've not seen her on the site since, nor had a reply.

Granted, Gordon knew not everyone could become a medium but he was always encouraging people to develop their mediumship, as all have the potential.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Lis wrote:there does seem to be a significant decline in the ability of many who call themselves mediums to actually talk about the philosophy. It is as if they do not consider the philosophy as part of mediumship, yet it is.
There certainly does seem to be a decline... which is sad as for me philosophy is a major part of the message from spirit.

If we, and the churches, do not teach the philosophy, it will be lost, and without the philosophy Spiritualism is reduced to message giving without any greater purpose. Not what I want to see.
Some churches that I serve actually ask "do you want to do some or shall we move straight on to the demonstration of mediumship?". However, I always insist on including the philosophy, simply can't help myself - call me old fashioned but I really do enjoy a good divine service Smile irrespective of my my being the medium, chairperson or member of the congregation.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Haven't read anything by Lorraine Holloway-White - nor have I seen her site, but will take a look later if I can.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

_Leslie_ wrote:
Lis wrote:there does seem to be a significant decline in the ability of many who call themselves mediums to actually talk about the philosophy. It is as if they do not consider the philosophy as part of mediumship, yet it is.
There certainly does seem to be a decline... which is sad as for me philosophy is a major part of the message from spirit.

Some churches that I serve actually ask "do you want to do some or shall we move straight on to the demonstration of mediumship?". However, I always insist on including the philosophy, simply can't help myself - call me old fashioned but I really do enjoy a good divine service Smile irrespective of my my being the medium, chairperson or member of the congregation.

This (Bold) is sad. Philosophy is the one area which unites everyone in the service. A decent one anyway. Whereas a message, although interesting, it is intended for one person. On a personal note, I'm not sure if philosophy can be taught. It certainly can be encouraged to blossom with practice or by listening to those who do inspire others by their words, or those words from the world of spirit.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 pm

I am not English and I don't know how well Lorraine Holloway-White is known in the UK. I have read one of her books and thought it was quite sensible and down to earth. I bought it as an self published e-book on Amazon.

The criticisms she makes of the state of mediumship in the UK are very similar to ones I've heard here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I make my assessment on what she has written. I'd like to see her work as a medium but obviously can't. Not all good mediums work under the auspice of Spiritualism. I have no reason to doubt anything she says. She clearly has set up her website, written her books and established her practice because she was driven to do it and felt frustrated with what is currently happening in the UK. Nothing wrong with that on the surface.

The Spiritualist philosophy is not a lot different from other beautiful philosophies. I've heard some good speakers and some awful ones. Each spiritualist church where I live runs things a little differently.

I think that good, authentic mediumship is what distinguishes Spiritualism from other beautiful philosophies, however. Sometimes you do see good mediumship brought together with good teaching, lecturing, inspirational work as well and such times are to be savoured.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Quiet wrote:I am not English and I don't know how well Lorraine Holloway-White is known in the UK. I have read one of her books and thought it was quite sensible and down to earth. I bought it as an self published e-book on Amazon.

The criticisms she makes of the state of mediumship in the UK are very similar to ones I've heard here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I make my assessment on what she has written. I'd like to see her work as a medium but obviously can't. Not all good mediums work under the auspice of Spiritualism. I have no reason to doubt anything she says. She clearly has set up her website, written her books and established her practice because she was driven to do it and felt frustrated with what is currently happening in the UK. Nothing wrong with that on the surface.

The Spiritualist philosophy is not a lot different from other beautiful philosophies. I've heard some good speakers and some awful ones. Each spiritualist church where I live runs things a little differently.

I think that good, authentic mediumship is what distinguishes Spiritualism from other beautiful philosophies, however. Sometimes you do see good mediumship brought together with good teaching, lecturing, inspirational work as well and such times are to be savoured.

It's always a shame that people cannot talk from experience rather than from what they've read in a self-published book. As I said before ......self praise is no recommendation.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:14 pm

hiorta wrote:That seems to be the core problem, in a nutshell, Jim.

'Mediumship' appears to have secured a slot somewhere close to conjurers and other tricksters in their public image.

Which in turn diminishes public interest. Which in turn diminishes the willingness of mediums to develop their talents. Crying or Very sad

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Yes Jim more importantly great mediumship makes people THINK it draws the intellect into study and raises an awareness of the philosophy in people.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:52 pm

Left Behind wrote:
hiorta wrote:That seems to be the core problem, in a nutshell, Jim.

Which in turn diminishes public interest. Which in turn diminishes the willingness of mediums to develop their talents. Crying or Very sad

Jim
I thought mediumship was about service not public interest?

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 pm

"Interest" in the sense of "awareness". When the public is aware of a given subject there is obviously greater interest, among those with a talent relating to it, in developing that talent.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:00 am

It is about Service Obi but the key thing is that when you receive a really mind blowing proof of survival message, that you know comes from nothing the medium did or could know then you have to take the whole subject more seriously. I am absolutely aware of this from my earliest days receiving such a message and watching Lis work some 28 years ago.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 am

Hm. I get the point your making jim(s). I think hiorta's original point is correct. Where do people see most mediumship? Probably on TV these days.

The point you make about personal experience Jim, is, I think the key. I don't think mediumship has ever had a wide acceptance in the UK and there seem to have been a good number of apparently genuine mediums in the past.

I can't see why, if people think they have a talent there is any more disincentive to pursuing it than ever there was.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 pm

obiwan wrote:
I can't see why, if people think they have a talent there is any more disincentive to pursuing it than ever there was.

Perhaps we're a lot lazier these days? The internet has brought us the 'copy and paste' culture, which in some respects has it's advantages, as in 'disseminating information' but where are tomorrows 'inspirer's'? You see very little 'original' material from the great on-line masters... Which in some respects is what's also happening in our awareness and developments classes - nothing new, nothing original, just regurgitated material.

We live in the 'I want in now' culture - which seems to apply to material and spiritual, equally.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm

"" When the Pupil is ready, the Teacher will appear""
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 am

Hi _Leslie_ - who are the 'great online masters'? (Or was that sarcasm? ) Smile

I am puzzled by the seeming absence of mediums such as Flint, Sloan, Alec Harris etc. I suspect there have never been many such around at the same time. There are perhaps one or to who claim to be able to demonstrate the Independent Direct Voice, but don't. It's a pity as I think it is potentially far more evidential the clairvoyance.

The 'I want it now' culture may be well-established in western societies but it is a lot more recent in other cultures - where are these mediums in other parts of the world? Having said that even in other cultures and our own, most folks are still busy but spend their time trying to make enough to simply live. There are however countless thousands even in the UK who devotes a great deal of their time to hobbies and voluntary work so I am not so sure it has anything to do with folks not being prepared to commit. Perhaps the problem comes from the other side?

There must be many people who would be perfectly willing to devote time to development if they had a hint of what was possible or that they had some talent that could serve others.

If there are good clairvoyants, why no effective physical mediums? Could it be that they simply take the easier route. Having said that I can't say I have seen much evidence of decent clairvoyance either really.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next