SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lorraine Holloway-White

+5
hiorta
Wes
Admin
mac
Quiet
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lorraine Holloway-White Empty Lorraine Holloway-White

Post by Quiet Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:45 am

Does anyone know anything about Lorraine?

I was idly googling when I found her blog and also that she has written a few books which are available on Kindle, a boon for me. I bought a couple - they are a little over $3.00 each.

I don't think she is a member of a spiritualist church but she is British. Haven't read any of them but she does seem to focus on natural born 'sensitives'.

Would appreciate any comments. You can find her easily by googling her name.

Many thanks Smile

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Lorraine Holloway-White Empty Re: Lorraine Holloway-White

Post by Quiet Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:24 pm

No response Smile. I have not read the books yet.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Quiet wrote:Does anyone know anything about Lorraine?

I was idly googling when I found her blog and also that she has written a few books which are available on Kindle, a boon for me. I bought a couple - they are a little over $3.00 each.

I don't think she is a member of a spiritualist church but she is British. Haven't read any of them but she does seem to focus on natural born 'sensitives'.

Would appreciate any comments. You can find her easily by googling her name.

Many thanks Smile

The briefest of searches revealed that she's a "natural medium/healer, spiritual advisor, author and public speaker..."
and describes herself as a Christian.

I'd suggest she's unlikely to be found in a Modern Spiritualist church although there's no significance in that or in her being a Brit - so am I but only rarely am I to be found there either yet I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Spiritualist.... Wink

Were you looking for something specific when you happened to chance on her (Google-prioritised) online presence? At $3 apiece I guess you've had fair value from her books.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks Mac. I found her when I was looking for reading material for my Kindle. There is still a fairly limited range of this kind of material for the Kindle.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 am

Quiet wrote:Thanks Mac. I found her when I was looking for reading material for my Kindle. There is still a fairly limited range of this kind of material for the Kindle.

It's understandable there's only a limited range when one considers the many types of books which have been published over the years.

If you have more than just a casual interest in learning about 'the spooks' you'd probably do better seeing what appeals to you in the traditional book range. Printed books still have their place. Smile

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 pm

I know Smile. I have quite a lot of traditional books. I love the Kindle as well and was keen to see what is available in e-book form.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I've now read one of her books and found it quite helpful and interesting.

Lorraine seems to be a good medium and healer but she is not a Spiritualist. Whilst she recognises that many Spiritualists are fine people, she is quite critical of aspects of Spiritualist teaching where mediumship and healing practice and development is concerned. Although I may be a rank amateur, I can understand some of the criticisms she makes.

Holloway-White is a strong believer that people are born mediums and/or healers and that many who want to be do not sufficient skills (in this life) to progress very far and maybe need to reconsider whether it is their vocation.

She also makes the comment that the Spiritualist belief that anyone can learn, and the current quality of teaching is one of the reasons for a decrease in the quality of mediumship. There is a whole lot more to her argument that I can't express here, but I think her view is definitely worth considering. I read a similar view in the Spirit of PIN (?) recently about natural-born mediums.

These views are just incidental in the book that I'm reading. She spends most of the time exploring with people how they might tell the strength of their gifts and progress them. I really enjoyed her ideas and she writes well.

This book (How to tell if you are a medium) is as good as any I've read and better than many. It is available in hard copy but I have the Kindle edition. The author has a blog as well.

I am interested in what happens to churches and spiritual beliefs once they become institutionalised. Holloway-White touches on that indirectly. The recent controversies in the SNU and in the Melbourne based Victorian Spiritualist Union (VSU) seem to have ocurred partly because of this institutionalisation.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 am

This lady is a real danger in my honest opinion, if people do decide they can walk away from training and be their own "natural born medium".
here is her blog
As a Natural Born Medium – I am a 'Sensitive' NOT a spiritualist
http://askamedium.wordpress.com/tag/spiritualist-church/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:09 am

I don't feel as strongly as that, Jim.

I've 'spoken' to her and think she's quite a nice lady although we differed in our approach as you might expect. Wink Over the past couple of years I've been keeping a 'weather-eye' on what's going on generally in cyber space and her blog isn't atypical of what's reported on the various forum boards to which I contribute.

Doesn't mean I approve but, hey, who cares about that? Wink Razz

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 am

I'd like to know why she believes that "sensitives" are so special that no one can understand their abilities, and why she seems to despise "man-made" mediums. It does remind me of the "crystal children" fad a few years ago that wanted us to believe that these children were so special that they should not have any rules, boundaries or limitations placed in their way in case it should impede their specialness.

It all sounds like elitism to me
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 am

Agreed Wes and of course it encourages those who just want to do it all...no need to prove survival just out and out psychism or alternatively the mind providing the information with neither psychic or mesiumistic ability. Sorry Mac those of us in Oz see the impact of her style, far too many do what she suggests ....the results are, by and large appalling..channelling aliens, ascended masters, indigo children...

Sometimes the idea of a ban on all of this until we can form some realistic accreditation system makes a lot of sense. I think people have to understand the harm so called "natural" psychic "mediums" can do to neeedy people.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 am

You've touched on a pet peeve there Jim.

There are far too many damaged, vulnerable people that would rather see a psychic/medium than see a professional counsellor or psychiatrist, and they take as gospel anything they are told in a reading (it's coming from a higher power so of course it must be true) without any critical analysis.

So for this reason anyone who puts out their stall as a psychic or medium has an enormous burden of responsibility, both moral and legal, not to hurt or take advantage of these people in any way.

So I would ask what checks and balances these home grown "sensitives" have in place to stop them abusing the trust placed in them.
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 am

Wes wrote:You've touched on a pet peeve there Jim.

There are far too many damaged, vulnerable people that would rather see a psychic/medium than see a professional counsellor or psychiatrist, and they take as gospel anything they are told in a reading (it's coming from a higher power so of course it must be true) without any critical analysis.

So for this reason anyone who puts out their stall as a psychic or medium has an enormous burden of responsibility, both moral and legal, not to hurt or take advantage of these people in any way.

So I would ask what checks and balances these home grown "sensitives" have in place to stop them abusing the trust placed in them.

Hi Wes as you know I totally agree with you and always remind my group members they must remember the trust placed in them. They always need to remember that, unless they have counselling training, it is essential that they do not cross the boundary with the advice they give. Absolutely I feel that to many cross this in so many areas especially "past lives" where the so called "sensitives" have no abilities except self delusion.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Even 'counselling training' is no guarantee. Some counsellor training courses have a pre-determined outcome, eg Christian based 'marriage counselling' try to preserve the marriage.
I have known some horror stories too.
A vulnerable lady was attended to by a 'counsellor-centred' trained individual for over 20 years in very expensive weekly sessions. There was no noticable difference. The lady eventually came to me for Spiritual Healing (absolutely without any form of charge) and some gradual change was observed, enough to enable her to live life without an emotional crutch.

I did train in client-centred counselling which is voluntary and unpaid and found it extremely useful in restoring balance for many.
Incidentally, after some years, I realised that a common root to so many 'problems' exists:- "I Want"

SNU Spiritualism has failed to reach the many, although it has done sterling work. The inevitable result of this is the mushrooming of so many different certres offering a differing Spiritual menu to seekers, but the temptation to go for cash seems hard to resist, offering psychic smoke & mirrors as spiritual nourishment. Some good may come of it, but as the general outlook of 'the Great Me' is still alive and well, it mightb take some time.
Spiritualism has been integrated into polite society and this is likely to change its focus, being comfortable and seen to be 'Nice' becoming preferable to being 'Honest.
I suppose the folk produced will be the equivalent of the Christian who can recite their Bible chapter and verse (backwards if necessary) but fail to understand the point of it.

Ah well. I hope I'm very wrong.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:55 pm

At the risk of putting my neck on the line (nothing new there Wink ), I think there's a lot of sense in what she says, as I agree, there are far tooooo many 'self' made mediums who, 'think' they know and understand the working of spirit. Without having any 'real' substance or inspiration from spirit themselves.
They tend to read a book, and regurgitate it chapter and verse, without even knowing if its correct. Then of course there are the ones who wave about 'I've been trained at Stanstead' as a credential, when in reality - they've merely attending a course or lecture... All of which can lead to someone being taught by (as she puts it) 'man-made mediums' as opposed to those developed, inspired and guided by the real teachers 'spirit'.

Just touching on the counselling bit... One of my pet dislikes are people coming along either to a church, sanctuary or in person and saying that they 'hear voices' or 'see images' etc.. and the first thing that many mediums / spiritualist etc.. say to them is 'oh your a medium', or something like 'that's spirit connecting with you'. All without having any previous knowledge of the person at all! How irresponsible of them! For all they know, the person could be experiencing the side effects of medication, drugs - or require professional psychiatric help. Advising people this way from a platform, rostrum or stage etc.., is for me, nothing short of irresponsible.

I do like the idea of an accreditation system - but think it has many flaws. Who certifies and verifies the testers? In my experience when an accreditation process is set-up, many of them are given their titles via the 'grandfather' system. Resulting in the entire process perhaps flawed from its initial conception.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Admin wrote:Agreed Wes and of course it encourages those who just want to do it all...no need to prove survival just out and out psychism or alternatively the mind providing the information with neither psychic or mesiumistic ability. Sorry Mac those of us in Oz see the impact of her style, far too many do what she suggests ....the results are, by and large appalling..channelling aliens, ascended masters, indigo children...

Sometimes the idea of a ban on all of this until we can form some realistic accreditation system makes a lot of sense. I think people have to understand the harm so called "natural" psychic "mediums" can do to neeedy people.

I've seen it here too, Jim. But you can't control what folk are seeking - sensationalism and fantasy look to be on the agenda of many 'new-age' seekers. The simple truth of Modern Spiritualism just isn't sexy enough and they'll seek out the practitioners who are offering what appeals. Hells bells, even within our own movement we have ghost-hunters and others whose interest in physical mediumship is more in witnessing, experiencing the phenomena than in the demonstration of survival those phenomena are supposed to give.

Aliens, indigos, ascended masters et al are what some folk are turned on by and the teachings of Modern Spiritualism (in my experience thus far) and the teachers/guides who brought the simple truth leave these individuals cold and uninterested. I've argued and fought my corner for long enough to now accept it's me who's out of step with them and not the other way round. Now I just try to chip away at the edges of their illusions in the hope they may begin to question for themselves, to look deeper into what they're being fed by the self-styled gurus. Full-frontal challenge of their 'stuff' has achieved nothing but maybe that's just down to me on a personal level. Crying or Very sad

I ain't gonna change in my outlook - I'm an out-and-out Spiritualist who despises psychism. But when dealing with others, you can only lead the horse to water. No way it'll drink unless it wants to.

Last edited by mac on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:03 pm

_Leslie_ wrote:At the risk of putting my neck on the line (nothing new there Wink ), I think there's a lot of sense in what she says, as I agree, there are far tooooo many 'self' made mediums who, 'think' they know and understand the working of spirit. Without having any 'real' substance or inspiration from spirit themselves.
They tend to read a book, and regurgitate it chapter and verse, without even knowing if its correct. Then of course there are the ones who wave about 'I've been trained at Stanstead' as a credential, when in reality - they've merely attending a course or lecture... All of which can lead to someone being taught by (as she puts it) 'man-made mediums' as opposed to those developed, inspired and guided by the real teachers 'spirit'.

Just touching on the counselling bit... One of my pet dislikes are people coming along either to a church, sanctuary or in person and saying that they 'hear voices' or 'see images' etc.. and the first thing that many mediums / spiritualist etc.. say to them is 'oh your a medium', or something like 'that's spirit connecting with you'. All without having any previous knowledge of the person at all! How irresponsible of them! For all they know, the person could be experiencing the side effects of medication, drugs - or require professional psychiatric help. Advising people this way from a platform, rostrum or stage etc.., is for me, nothing short of irresponsible.

I do like the idea of an accreditation system - but think it has many flaws. Who certifies and verifies the testers? In my experience when an accreditation process is set-up, many of them are given their titles via the 'grandfather' system. Resulting in the entire process perhaps flawed from its initial conception.

There is much here with which I am in agreement.

The following piece, though, is quite alarming, quote: "One of my pet dislikes are people coming along either to a church, sanctuary or in person and saying that they 'hear voices' or 'see images' etc.. and the first thing that many mediums / spiritualist etc.. say to them is 'oh your a medium', or something like 'that's spirit connecting with you'. All without having any previous knowledge of the person at all! How irresponsible of them!" Yes, indeed, it is irresponsible but perhaps simply in line with what they've been taught, or have learned for themselves, from their exposure to whatever influence they came under. Nothing unusual in that.

Isn't that how many of us operate? From what we were taught, from what we have learned? And if those sources of information are not authoritative, how are we to know? But if the teachings of Modern Spiritualism, conveyed by Spiritualist churches and centres, was the source of that teaching/learning, then there is cause for great concern. Where it's down to individual Spiritualists or individual practitioners (be they psychics or mediums) then it's less of a concern - individuals' understanding will vary considerably.

But it's my experience that online responses such as those above are widely heard, directed towards enquirers whose confused writings often quickly get diagnosed as the beginnings of (or expansion of) mediumship. Not psychism, please note, as that's a word mostly used by mac when trying to unravel the many knots of misinformation that result.... Psychism and mediumship are frequently seen as the same issue, psychics being the same as mediums, mediums being the same as channellers etc.

Better climb off that hobby-horse before I go any further! Razz

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 pm

The most useful thing I learnt from counselling training is that you don't judge people and you don't tell them what to do. The reasoning being that you can only be an expert on your own life and no one else's, and that your goal as a counsellor is to empower clients to make their own decisions about their life.

This concept also works very well in a spiritual context, and is at odds with the blogger's explicit orders to leave spiritualist circles and development groups immediately if you are a "sensitive", despite the possibility that it was spirit that put them in those groups and circles in the first place...
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Very good points Leslie, we have even had people claim to be tutors or to be international mediums...as to voices in their head, I have heard the same said even when its clear the individual may have other problems.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I quite like Lorriane Holloway-White's books and she seems really committed to her work without making huge amounts of money from it. Some of the comments she makes about Spiritualist practices in terms of mediumship I've seen and heard other mediums make as well.

I personally know a mumber of very good mediums who simply use the Spiritualist venues as a platform for their mediumship because they want to use it to benefit others. Their primary beliefs are not specifical Spiritualist. My first teacher, for example, was not at all interested in physical phenomena. She didn't think it was necessary for her kind of mediumship.

I also know some Spiritualist ministers and mediums are are not really the kind of people I feel very comfortable with on a personal basis. My own teacher commented once that just because you're a medium doesn't mean you're an ethical or nice person. We are all merely human after all.

I think we have to assess people based on what they say and what we observe about their actions over a period of time.

What Holloway-White says about natural born mediums actually rings true for me. I think that some people do have a natural gift. Others would like to be mediums or have the gift but they are simply not so well gifted as others. They can develop to a certain extent and, of course, Spirit would might have a say in that kind of progression if the person was willing and it it is part of their soul purpose.

Most of the mediums I know who are really gifted - well, their gift was evident in some way almost from childhood or adolescence.

These are simply my own observations, however.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Quiet

I quite like Lorriane Holloway-White's books and she seems really committed to her work without making huge amounts of money from it. Some of the comments she makes about Spiritualist practices in terms of mediumship I've seen and heard other mediums make as well. She and I had robust interchanges in certain discussion forums concerning what she wrote. There were quite a number of topics rolled into one thread, though, and when that happens individual points can get lost. Instead of dealing with each individually, it's easy for such a dialogue to become muddled and heated.... I speak from experience! But 'speaking' to her away from the boards, differences were more of shading than substance we both found. She works in her way, others work in their own, but essentially all working toward the same ends. I've no idea how much money she makes and have no interest in it. I don't much care what folk earn if the service provided is sound and authentic.

I personally know a mumber of very good mediums who simply use the Spiritualist venues as a platform for their mediumship because they want to use it to benefit others. Their primary beliefs are not specifical Spiritualist. My first teacher, for example, was not at all interested in physical phenomena. She didn't think it was necessary for her kind of mediumship. I'm not particularly interested whether an individual chooses not to call her/himself a Spiritualist provided that their mediumship works along the lines of the evidential mediumship underpinning Spiritualist philosophy. If it's significantly different then I'd be asking why the practitioner was working in such a venue.... But you're weighing apples with oranges over the physical phenomena issue if you're relating it to Spiritualism (as you have above, perhaps inadvertently?). The method of evidential mediumship is of secondary importance compared with the evidence it should bring. Oh, sure, one kind may be more persuasive than another but not necessarily and each has value. Physical mediumship is simply one form and others are more commonly experienced.

I also know some Spiritualist ministers and mediums are are not really the kind of people I feel very comfortable with on a personal basis. My own teacher commented once that just because you're a medium doesn't mean you're an ethical or nice person. We are all merely human after all. Just because you're a 'whatever' - pick your own noun - it won't mean you're a nice, spiritual or ethical individual. People are people with failings, foibles and weaknesses we may share with them - or not.

I think we have to assess people based on what they say and what we observe about their actions over a period of time. absolutely

What Holloway-White says about natural born mediums actually rings true for me. I think that some people do have a natural gift. Others would like to be mediums or have the gift but they are simply not so well gifted as others. They can develop to a certain extent and, of course, Spirit would might have a say in that kind of progression if the person was willing and it it is part of their soul purpose. It's not what she says, necessarily, but the way she was perceived as attacking other styles of medium which upset members elsewhere, on other websites. You probably wouldn't know this unless you're also a member of that website.

Most of the mediums I know who are really gifted - well, their gift was evident in some way almost from childhood or adolescence. It's good to hear that - I expect we'll all hope they use their gifts to the full.

These are simply my own observations, however. As those in black text are mine.... Smile

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:58 pm

We pretty much agree then, mac Smile

There seems to be a strong interest in physical phenomena on this site. And yes, I do generally associate this with Spiritualism, rightly or wrongly.

I do support the importance of evidential mediumship. So does Holloway White, I think.

I believe that people ultimately have to take responsibility for what they accept from others. People give away their power so easily and have to learn from experience not to do that. Discernment is an acquired skill.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 pm

"Quiet"

We pretty much agree then, mac Smile hmm....not so sure....

There seems to be a strong interest in physical phenomena on this site. could well be - I hadn't noticed but there is an associated pm website too....And yes, I do generally associate this with Spiritualism, rightly or wrongly. It has its place in Spiritualism as do all other forms of mediumship - no more, no less. Giving special significance is a personal bias, I'd say.

I do support the importance of evidential mediumship. So does Holloway White, I think. agreed with all this...

I believe that people ultimately have to take responsibility for what they accept from others. Yes that's how life is.... People give away their power so easily and have to learn from experience not to do that. I've made my mistakes by mistakenly heeding others in the past - guess that could be termed giving away one's powers but that sounds a tad grand for this individual... Wink Discernment is an acquired skill. absobloominglutely - I'll be glad when I achieve a satisfactory level! Laughing

[/quote]

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Has Lorraine Holloway-White ever demonstrated evidence of survival and has anyone seen it?

If so, where and when?

I am not interested in what she claims to have done.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiet Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm

mac wrote:"Quiet"

We pretty much agree then, mac Smile hmm....not so sure....

There seems to be a strong interest in physical phenomena on this site. could well be - I hadn't noticed but there is an associated pm website too....And yes, I do generally associate this with Spiritualism, rightly or wrongly. It has its place in Spiritualism as do all other forms of mediumship - no more, no less. Giving special significance is a personal bias, I'd say.

I do support the importance of evidential mediumship. So does Holloway White, I think. agreed with all this...

I believe that people ultimately have to take responsibility for what they accept from others. Yes that's how life is.... People give away their power so easily and have to learn from experience not to do that. I've made my mistakes by mistakenly heeding others in the past - guess that could be termed giving away one's powers but that sounds a tad grand for this individual... Wink Discernment is an acquired skill. absobloominglutely - I'll be glad when I achieve a satisfactory level! Laughing

Re agreement, I suspect you like to retain a certain degree of crustiness Smile.

I don't have a personal view on physical phenomena except that it is not necessary for me to experience physical phenomena to believe in the spirit world now. I accept what I've read in Barbanell and other books and I've seen some mild example of physical phenomena myself. It does seem to be quite important to some people as a form of evidence and yes, in its fullness it would be something quite wondrous to experience.

Re 'giving away power' I am referring to people who accept what others advise uncritically and unreflectively, often to their real disadvantage. Sometimes people who believe personal fortune tellers fall into this category.

By personal power I mean the knowledge, wisdom,confidence and ability to assess what might be best for oneself and to take responsibility for that.

I used to give away my own power to doctors but after some really negative experiences I no longer do that Smile.

Quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next