SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator

+18
Ann Harrison
Daveywavey
earthterian
Bill
Wes
veritas
Geoff Griffiths
Lavine
Claire
mac
Dan
Lis
Eilis
Inspiration
zerdini
jock
hiorta
Admin
22 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator - Page 10 Empty Re: Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator

Post by zerdini Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 am

Lis wrote:I also absolutely agree with the suggestion by Zerdini.

I think, however, that unless someone approaches these two charitable Trusts to make them formally aware of the problems facing the staff of PN they will not be in a position to intervene.

Perhaps, as you, Zerdini, have raised the idea, you might be the one to approach the Trusts with a request for help. That would certainly be better than expecting the staff to do so on their own behalf.

I would gladly ask on their behalf but I am personally unaware of their personal circumstances other than what I have read on this forum.

The STF have advertised for people to apply to them if they are in need and as Roy Stemman, Chairman of the STF, is aware of this site and has commented on it he should not need to be asked.

In a previous post, Ann Harrison has stated she is aware of the difficulties facing some of the staff and a formal or informal approach from her to the JV Trust for help would carry far more weight.

I would hope that an application for assistance would not be weighed down with bureaucracy!

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator - Page 10 Empty Re: Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator

Post by Lis Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm

While I support the idea of the trusts offering immediate assistance to the ex-staff of Psychic News, because of the hardship they are suffering through no fault of their own, the more I think about it the more angry I get that the SNU has put these people in that awful financial situation and don't appear to give a damn about it.

The owners of Psychic Press, should have done the right thing by the staff. They have given loyal service, some for many years, and did not deserve to be tossed away without proper compensation, their entitlements or even a courteous goodbye. Once again shame on the SNU.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:14 am

Lis wrote:While I support the idea of the trusts offering immediate assistance to the ex-staff of Psychic News, because of the hardship they are suffering through no fault of their own, the more I think about it the more angry I get that the SNU has put these people in that awful financial situation and don't appear to give a damn about it.

The owners of Psychic Press, should have done the right thing by the staff. They have given loyal service, some for many years, and did not deserve to be tossed away without proper compensation, their entitlements or even a courteous goodbye. Once again shame on the SNU.

That may be so but in the meantime something practical needs to, must be and will, be done to help.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Raggett Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:34 am

Hopefully the money may only need to be in the form of an interest free loan till the ex staff get their entitlement either from PP in liquidation or the government.

Peter Raggett

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Peter Raggett wrote:Hopefully the money may only need to be in the form of an interest free loan till the ex staff get their entitlement either from PP in liquidation or the government.

There is plenty of money available to give an outright hardship grant, Peter.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Aren't the trusts SNU?

Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Dan wrote:Aren't the trusts SNU?

Fortunately they are nothing to do with the SNU.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveywavey Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:49 pm

What a shame the SNU's fund of Benevolence is only to aid "sick and aged spiritualists".

Daveywavey

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:17 am

Daveywavey wrote:What a shame the SNU's fund of Benevolence is only to aid "sick and aged spiritualists".

The exact purpose of the FOB is as follows:

SNU Fund of Benevolence
If you know someone in Spiritualism whom may benefit from the Fund of Benevolence, then the SNU would like to reach out to them. Let the Union know of these people and contact the SNU Fund of Benevolence.

Since its inception in 1894 by E W Wallis, who at that time was editor of Two Worlds, it was taken over by the Union as custodian trustees in 1901.

Its objects are to aid sick and aged Spiritualists who are in need, the benefits of the Fund not being limited to members of the Union but available to all Spiritualists who qualify.

It is a registered charitable trust administered by a small number of managing trustees and supported by voluntary donations from churches and personal subscribers. An annual Appeal is made in October to all affiliated churches and subscribing members of the Union, and many churches make a special appeal and collection on the third Sunday in October.

It is hoped to accumulate sufficient capital by legacies or donations to open one or more homes where old workers for Spiritualism can be cared for. More money is urgently needed, and donations and requests for help or further information should be sent to the Honorary Secretary as given below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fund of Benevolence also SUBSIDISES the annual “Senior Citizens” week at The Arthur Findlay College each year.(Click on the link to view the AFC Programme page in a new window)

Why not come and join us and meet old friends and make new ones, take part in Daily Meditation, Workshops, Tutorials, Healing and friendship. Tutors for this exciting week are: Vi Kipling, FSNU Paul Jacobs, CSNU Jackie Wright,DSNU, Gerard Smith Contact details:-

Hon. Secretary
Minister Marian Bishop
Email: fob@snu.org.uk
Telephone: 01179 771 629

21 Sandgate Road
Brislington
Bristol
BS4 3PT

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 am

The JV Trust

Charitable objects:

(A) THE PROMOTION, ESTABLISHMENT, SPREAD AND ADVANCEMENT OF THE RELIGION AND RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHY KNOWN AS SPIRITUALISM WITH PARTICULAR REGARD FOR THE TRAINING OF MINISTERS.(B) THE PROMOTION AND ADVANCEMENT OF SPIRITUAL HEALING.(C) THE RELIEF OF AGED AND INFIRM SPIRITUALISTS WHO ARE IN NEED OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE.

Spiritual Truth Foundation

Charitable objects:

TO BE HELD UPON SUCH CHARITABLE TRUSTS AND FOR SUCH CHARITABLE PURPOSES AS THE TRUSTEES THINK FIT WITH A VIEW TO ATTAINING ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:- 1) PROMOTION AND ADVANCEMENT OF THE RELIGION AND RELIGIOUS PHILOSOPHY OF SPIRITUALISM. 2) THE PROMOTION AND ADVANCEMENT OF SPIRITUAL HEALING. 3) THE RELIEF OF POVERTY.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Thanks for the details of the Trusts Z,

I somehow doubt that the SNU would help. Just how embarassing would it be for the NEC if they treat the Staff so badly that its own Benevolence fund felt it had to help out.

The NEC and by extension, because it is their ruling body, the SNU really stand in the spotlight as behaving disgracefully to staff, several of whom had been with them since the SNU took on Psychic Press.

It really seems they have decided just to leave PP in limbo, ignore the creditors, unless they raise a statement of demand which will then be paid and let the fuss die down.

The poor staff will have to jump through hoops to try and get their money. Meanwhile the NEC will sit back, do nothing except try and ingratiate themselves with those who have been upset by their actions who they feel politically they must pacify.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:19 am

It really seems they have decided just to leave PP in limbo, ignore the creditors, unless they raise a statement of demand which will then be paid and let the fuss die down.

As a matter of interest, Jim, have you raised a 'statement of demand' for the money owing to you and have you been paid?

In a previous post you said: " However small do not walk away, let us know how much is owed and allow
us to collate a unified approach to bring on the liquidation"

I wonder how many others who read this forum have applied for refunds?

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 am

The big issue about what I was trying to do Z was to coordinate the approach to such claims so that the total amount claimed may bring about an outcome. I was also not expecting to actually receive payment if that outcome was achieved because PP is insolvent.

The expense involved became justifiable as a reason to bring PP into liquidation which would crystallise matters for all parties and resolve all of our questions. Athis time doing this would help all of the employees who have been denied anything by the leates action. Twill now have to work very hard to get any benefits and these will be seriously delayed.

I pointed out that one lot of 6 pounds 50p would achieve nothing, even if there was a 100 pound legal fee added for collection expenses. But 100 of these all presented on the same day does create a difficulty for the NEC. I suspect ther are far more people than that who have lost subscriptions paid in advance.

Were I not to believe that the behaviour of the NEC in this matter was so appalling it cannot be left alone I would just walk away from throwing further money at an unrecoverable debt of such a small size.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 am

Admin wrote:The big issue about what I was trying to do Z was to coordinate the approach to such claims so that the total amount claimed may bring about an outcome. I was also not expecting to actually receive payment if that outcome was achieved because PP is insolvent.

The expense involved became justifiable as a reason to bring PP into liquidation which would crystallise matters for all parties and resolve all of our questions. Athis time doing this would help all of the employees who have been denied anything by the leates action. Twill now have to work very hard to get any benefits and these will be seriously delayed.

I pointed out that one lot of 6 pounds 50p would achieve nothing, even if there was a 100 pound legal fee added for collection expenses. But 100 of these all presented on the same day does create a difficulty for the NEC. I suspect ther are far more people than that who have lost subscriptions paid in advance.

Were I not to believe that the behaviour of the NEC in this matter was so appalling it cannot be left alone I would just walk away from throwing further money at an unrecoverable debt of such a small size.

I fully understand what you are saying, Jim.

I wondered how many people had responded to a coordinated approach or will it be the usual apathetic approach by Spiritualists, particularly in the UK?

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:30 am

Sadly Z I only know of one other who has suggested they would agree to a coordinated approach.

It appears that the very fact of suspending doing anything with Psychic Press has enabled the SNU to begin to drop off of the radar. Hopefully, that will only be for now but I would imagine Bruton is beavering away trying to smooth things over with any senior figures his actions have upset.

The sad part is smoothing thing over does not change the appalling way this whole matter has been conducted and the loss of Psychic news
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:55 am

Now I realise that I have been highly critical of the events that have occurred with Psychic News. As I have said there are always alternative ways to deal with the issues that arose here.

It is clear that by the end of March at least David Bruton as Chairman and Mark Bradley as Executive Director knew that Psychic Press was trading insolvently. They then arranged a working party including non directors Duncan Gascoyne and Andrew Hadley whilst excluding the other two Directors.

At that stage it is clear that no one else within the Company knew of the problems. Indeed as it was so soon after agreeing to the extra expense for increasing Psychic News number of pages I doubt anyone expected it was in cash difficulties.

What becomes clear is that a direction was chosen instantly and they decided to move to liquidate. The argument was that the SNU as a charity could not support an insolvent company.

However, we are aware that when the company made a profit the SNU happily took the surplus and they had supported the Company in bad years. A little extra time would not have hurt.

At the previous annual conference Gascoyne had promised PN would not be closed without consulting the membership. By the July 2010 conference he said you did not use it so you lose it, a very great change. Bruton said he wanted an open and honest relationship with trust to develop within the SNU.

Their actions with Psychic Press reflected none of this openness and honesty.

So what were the alternatives, they should have used PN to alert the Spiritualist World to the plight. I suspect that if they had just forgiven the rent debt for one year PP would have become solvent. We now realise that as soon as the problem was flagged money offers came rushing in.

The honourable Charles Coulston claimed that this would not have helped the insolvency at the informal creditors meeting...because somehow donations are below the line not related to profit or loss. However insolvency is not a matter of trading at a profit or loss it is the state of the cash position and creditors against future trading. Donations could have enabled the debts to be paid off and in covering trading losses would not have been taxable.

Whilst the money offered was not a long term solution it would have given time to see if the business could be restructured or marketed to build circulation.

Taking this as the first step and involving the staff, subscribers, contributors and Spiritualist Community would have been the right step forward. We would all have been alerted to the problems, insolvent trading would have been prevented and a time scale to rebuild the viability of Psychic Press would have been set.

Surely for a Spiritualist Organisation this would have represented the best example of good practice and ethical behaviour. In a normal Commercial Business it was what I did in turning round and rescuing a failing Manufacturing business here in Adelaide.

It really is not rocket science and a damn sight better than what was actually done, the execution attempted behind closed doors with no one knowing. All of the uncertainty would have been removed and David Bruton would have been seen to practice what he preached in his incoming speech. I believe even if PN had not been rescued the SNU would have been lauded for handling it in such a philosophically, ethically and moral way

I also have conclusive proof it works, with the help of all stakeholders I turned a company on the verge of receivership, heavily in debt and making losses into a highly succesful business.

In reality it is why I suggest that the main reason for the action of the NEC was not financial but to gain control of masthead, archives and editorial content/approval. The alternative was so simple and painless compared to the dastardly acts they have committed
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator - Page 10 Empty Latest from Paranormal Review

Post by zerdini Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Spiritualist leader or spoilt child?

Sep 30, 2010
Oh dear. I seem to have upset David Bruton, the new president of the Spiritualists' National Union (SNU). Was it something I said? Apparently so. He and the SNU's National Executive Committee (NEC), having totally mishandled the closure of the weekly Psychic News (PN), and remained largely silent about their future plans, if any, have now decided that criticism of their actions is unacceptable. They don't seem to realise that they are just digging a deeper hole for themselves. Eleven days ago I emailed a copy of my last blog to Bruton, Mark Bradley, who was the executive director responsible for PN, and Charles Coulston, the SNU's general secretary, which posed "Questions the SNU must answer". These three gentlemen, along with ... more

http://www.paranormalreview.com/

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks Z I got a newsletter out but forgot to put a link on the site.

A few of "Brutal's" comments we will be following up on I think
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 am

I have posted some more thoughts on the "Why" topic:
http://spiritualismlink.forumotion.com/psychic-news-under-threat-of-closure-f37/spiritualist-national-union-snu-close-psychic-news-why-t889.htm#4563
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 am

Scepticism: the new religion

http://paranormalreview.com/articles/20101003

Roy reminds everyone gently about what Spiritualism Lost when the SNU killed off Psychic Press.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:27 am

Hi All,

I have just posted this in a new thread designed to have a detailed look at the contents of the NEC's circular to Members on PN which they have just released. http://spiritualismlink.forumotion.com/post.forum?mode=editpost&p=4573

This turned up extremely quickly after its release and it is most noticeable for what it leaves out, distorts or changes the history of.

It may satisfy some members by presenting a sanitised version of events suggesting strong action by a powerful NEC but it just adds more things for the critical outsiders to look at. As such it is a surprise the NEC felt compelled to attempt such a justification of themselves when the majority of SNU members seemed totally uninterested in what was happening and the fate of PN. A circular like this may just help to raise the awareness of how poorly Bruton and the NEC have been behaving throughout this. SNU members might just go looking for the criticism that they seem so sensitive about and discover that this circular does not share all of the appropriate information or present all of it correctly.

Without any risk of being called out for telling untruths it is a very easy document to pull apart. The first 2 of its 4 pages can be ignored as a rehash of what has appeared elsewhere, albeit a glowing account of what the SNU did for PN since 1995. The nitty gritty, or lack of it, appears in pages 3 and 4.

It hedges round the insolvency issue by saying it was "very close to becoming insolvent". Clearly it was well beyond this and the fact it has not paid out all its creditors or met in full its legal obligations to the staff proves it is indeed insolvent.

Strangely it makes no mention of these two matters, the non payment of staff or many creditors, clearly the NEC do not feel these major moral and ethical issues should be drawn to the attention of its members.

It also says it withdrew the company from liquidation because the liquidators fees had risen dramatically and would make the company insolvent. A strange decision really given that Psychic Press is now insolvently in limbo, as the NEC have decided it must remain. Well it really has to they could not face a liquidator whilst insolvent and claiming ownership of the two valuable assets I suspect that is the true reason they pulled out. Someone would pay and at the least it would be the directors.

So Psychic Press must remain that way unless the creditors force a liquidation or go away at which time the SNU may just be able to reregister it as solvent and creep off with the assets. Sadly if they attempt to use the masthead before this has happened then the whole thing will catch fire again. They are stuck with a masthead and archives that the previous owners say went into Psychic Press whilst the SNU claims they did not, legally challenging in a liquidation, yet another reason for the NEC to pull out.

My next post will be a detailed examination of key passages from the last two pages of the document. I will comment that it makes what appears to be an unnecessary and gratuitously nasty remark against its ex editor, I am sure that at some stage we will find a response to this. For the NEC to dare to criticise its employees after what it has put them through is an utter disgrace. I just remind people to read Paranormal Review for her interview, which I am sure only mentions things that Roy Stemman knows can be proved http://paranormalreview.com/articles/20100819
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:44 am

I promised yesterday to take a long look at the document in my last post, to some extent this will also cover the question that Veritas raised. and this is posted at
http://spiritualismlink.forumotion.com/psychic-news-under-threat-of-closure-f37/psychic-news-spiritualist-national-union-nec-circular-oct-t914.htm#4578
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 am

Important news about the Statement of the STF is given here together with information about the name of the new Liquidation firm

http://spiritualismlink.forumotion.com/psychic-news-under-threat-of-closure-f37/psychic-press-to-go-into-creditors-voluntary-liquidation-t917.htm#4600
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

I will post this both on the new thread about the creditors liquidation and teh original liquidation thread.

Two working days ago I sent an email to the company who is believed to be the intended liquidators. I have as yet received no reply, I believe that confirms their involvement I suspect I would have received a denial by now from any other firm.

Once I do receive a reply I will supply details about who to contact and how to do this as quickly as I can.

I have already posted all of my email exchanges with berleys so I will also post this for your information.

"Dear sirs,
Re Liquidation of Psychic Press (1995) Ltd Co No. 02978126
I understand that you are intended to become the liquidator of the above company in a Creditors Voluntary Liquidation. I am writing to ask details about the intended Creditors meeting and the necessary forms to prove debt and appoint a proxy. It seems strange to have to do this a second time for a new liquidator because the previous decision to liquidate was called off just before the creditors meeting.
Would you please provide the necessary information urgently. I am concerned that, apart from a brief notice on the Spiritualist National Unions web site (PP's owners) stating the intent to liquidate, no further information has become available.
At the informal creditors meeting that was then held I believe that my previous correspondence with the first liquidator was regarded as irritating. I suppose this was not helped by the fact all correspondence was copied to the Companies House Investigations Bureau, indeed I intend to continue this by copying them into this email as well.
I still have grave concerns about the events surrounding this matter and the poor way that the owners have handled the whole matter. My concerns are shown in the emails below, which form my original correspondence with Berleys and the CIB. I believe that for your complete records you should have a chance to read these.
For completeness I note that, since that correspondence, those who had paid monies for future events have been fully refunded by the owners the Spiritualist National Union. I also note they have been open in claiming how the owners came to own the masthead and archives. However, this is a matter of dispute by the original sellers the Spiritual Truth Foundation. Of course the "asset transfer" stopped an intended purchase of Psychic Press which would have benefitted all of the parties that have now lost money.
On top of this it is quite clear the directors knew, from as far back as April, that they would be unable to meet the debts on liquidation.
Please let me know the details of how to prove my debt and lodge a proxy. As it now appears the Directors, or more correctly the National Executive Committee of the owners, have realised the company has to be liquidated maybe this time some serious questions and investigations may take place.
Kind Regards

I guess I will maintain my record as an irritant in this matter.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 am

I believe that we all need to do something quickly,

I sent the following email to the CIB, intended liquidator and to Charles Coulston Company Secretary of Psycic Press and General Secretary of the SNU.

Note the final area about the requirements of directors and what they must do in 14 days. The NEC have been behaving very badly on this issue and it is a strong possibility they may be blind siding us all on this. We may find that they have appointed a liquidator believing that " no other debts exist" after that we will all find it almost impossible to stop.

Please write to all of the adressees included urgently, maybe the NEC intend to behave correctly but this safeguards this

FW: Re Liquidation of Psychic Press (1995) Ltd Co No. 02978126

Sent: Wednesday, 27 October 2010 8:28 PM
To: 'enquiries@marshhammond.co.uk'
Cc: 'enquiry@cib.gsi.gov.uk'; 'Charles Coulston'
Subject: FW: Re Liquidation of Psychic Press (1995) Ltd Co No. 02978126
Importance: High

Dear sirs,

I sent an email to you on Sunday for your attention, it is copied below. Please urgently reply regarding appropriate registration of proof of debt and registration of proxies. You will notice the time scales involved and the responsibilities of the directors or quasi directors of Psychic Press.

I also notice that this is the second time a liquidator was expected to be appointed . The first liquidation was apparently a Members Voluntary decided by the original directors of Psychic Press, on May 22nd but without any Statutory Declarations of Solvency. Now we all can realise why that was because the company is entering liquidation in an insolvent manner, i.e the staff and creditors are not being paid out in full.

All of the events surrounding this apparent Liquidation are unsatisfactory.

From the instructions of the Companies House I draw attention to the requirements in a Creditors Liquidation (stated below my writing) and note that at this stage the Directors have failed to notify any Creditors, I also remind you the failures now date back to May/June this month as the owners resolved upon liquidation upon June 12th.

At this stage I believe that the majority of creditors debt is being denied its rights by the major creditor, who happen to be the owners, the Spiritualist Union of Great Britain.

Regards

Jim Warwood
Creditor of Psychic Press with his wife Lis Warwood

The relavant points are
To this end note the imperative rules imposed by the companies act for Directors in a Creditors Liquidation
The resolution must be:
advertised in the Gazette within 14 days; and
sent to the Registrar within 15 days.

A meeting of creditors must be held in the next 14 days after passing the resolution. Notice of the meeting must be sent to the creditors at least 7 days before the meeting. Also, the directors must prepare a statement of affairs for consideration at the meeting, and appoint one of themselves to attend and preside over the meeting.
When the liquidator is appointed, the directors must provide him or her with a statement of affairs and otherwise co-operate with the liquidator.
7. Does the company have to advertise notice of the meeting?
Yes. The meeting must be advertised in the Gazette and in two newspapers in the area where the company has its principal place of business.

And my earlier comments upon this
It is quite a list of items which the Directors of Psychic Press have failed to do but I would feel they must have believed they were constrained by the NEC, representing the owners, Psychic Press's major creditors, who had appointed them to their roles. Sadly that does not protect them if the CIB take action it will also fail to help them if the Fleet Street tabloids get onto this story.

Kind Regards

Jim Warwood
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next