Psychic News

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by jock on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

For your information I actually support the NEC of the SNU how-ever if the Psychic News is to be the voice of spiritualism then it needs to be fully independent of the SNU. I do not know what power struggles or differences of opinions’ that are going on within the paper at the present time. However I do know what has happened in the past. The Reverend Lyn Guest de Swarte was shown the door when she leaned to far to the Christian Spiritualists. Tony Ortzen left after disputes on editorial content and some believe he was trying to gain title of the paper. I believe at this present time the SNU who own the paper will not let it go to the wall and will support it no matter what however I believe heads will roll after the new President arrives after the AGM in July. It is believed by many David Bruten is the favourite for the post and he is already a Director of the Psychic News Al

jock


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by mac on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 am

almera wrote:For your information I actually support the NEC of the SNU how-ever if the Psychic News is to be the voice of spiritualism then it needs to be fully independent of the SNU. I do not know what power struggles or differences of opinions’ that are going on within the paper at the present time. However I do know what has happened in the past. The Reverend Lyn Guest de Swarte was shown the door when she leaned to far to the Christian Spiritualists. Tony Ortzen left after disputes on editorial content and some believe he was trying to gain title of the paper. I believe at this present time the SNU who own the paper will not let it go to the wall and will support it no matter what however I believe heads will roll after the new President arrives after the AGM in July. It is believed by many David Bruten is the favourite for the post and he is already a Director of the Psychic News Al

We can only hope that all changes are beneficial - time will tell.

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by obiwan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:45 am

This is like listening to two bald men arguing over a comb.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by mac on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:53 am

obiwan wrote:This is like listening to two bald men arguing over a comb.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I didn't ought to bother with such threads but it's a quiet time on the many forum boards I use and I've got nothing better to do! Razz

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by zerdini on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:59 am

Tony Ortzen left after disputes on editorial content and some believe he was trying to gain title of the paper.

Another false assumption on your part, Jock. Rolling Eyes

Do you just make up these statements and then present them as fact? Is it to give yourself an ego boost as though you have personal access to information that no-one else has?

Fortunately, I know as does the SNU, the real reason why Tony left PN and it is nothing to do with what you claim.

Grow up man and stop stirring the pot.

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by Lis on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 am

If I may return to the original point of this thread - the rumour that Psychic News might be closed down. Now I have no idea whether the rumour mentioned by Bill has any validity or not and I sincerely hope that such a possibility if it be real will not be realised.

I note that Bill suggested: "PN has been the voice of Spiritualism for more than eighty years..."

While not wishing to disagree with Bill, I think that it is too strong a point being made. PN is and I believe always was, rather broader than just reflecting 'Spiritualism' per se. I believe it was a newspaper that sought to offer 'news' on a broad front, including that associated with Spiritualism in the strict sense. No doubt someone will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

Criticism has been levelled by Obiwan and Mac about PN's alleged lack of relevant 'content.' For Obiwan there is apparently "a dearth of people who can actually perform mediumship in a truly evidential way and thus (PN has)nothing to report," while Mac "found there simply wasn't anything new on the Spiritualist scene. And if Psychic News ain't carrying news about Spiritualism then" he saw "little future for it." Objection is also directed at the very name of the newspaper - the word "Psychic" apparently being in some way 'unacceptable' for a allegedly Spiritualist publication.

I have a few difficulties with these objections. But first, let me hasten to say that I don't disagree that there appears to be a shortage of people who are capable of giving good evidence of survival, or that in many respects there doesn't seem to be very much 'new' happening in the Spiritualist scene. However, to suggest that if PN isn't carrying news about Spiritualism there is little future for it would seem to me to be going too far.

PN is a weekly Newspaper and the role of a newspaper is to provide news, literary matter, correspondence, and of course sadly but inevitably advertisements. I believe that is exactly what PN does. Let me make clear that "news" means to report on events, or provide information, good and bad on a range of topics. Now the range of topics considered relevant to a particular newspaper depends of the level of specialisation it is designed to reflect, in other words, it may be a paper that has a narrow ambit in terms of its given subject matter, or have a quite broad range of topics deemed to be of relevance or interest to its readership.

PN deals with Spiritualist and psychic topics. Its news content includes reports on activities in churches around the country, local interest groups, reviews of material printed elsewhere that may be of interest to some of its readers, a range of articles relating to either the historical aspects of Spiritualism, Spiritualists, or 'psychic' investigators as well as reporting on current activities of Spiritualists and mediums of one kind or another. It also provides a forum for readers to express their views, criticisms and good news if they wish to.

In other words the role of PN is broader than merely to report on mediums who can provide evidential messages, and broader than simply reporting on Spiritualism in the strict sense. As such it is, I feel, unfair to criticise PN on either of those grounds as if in not focusing its news content on just those two subjects it is in some intrinsic way failing in its task.

Does it do its actual job well? Sometimes I think there are some excellent articles, correspondence and even more general news (and no I am not including in that praise my own or Jim's articles). Othertimes I believe it falls far short of the mark. But that is, the reality of every newspaper, be it a speciality subject paper or a daily general paper. Sometimes there is lots of good or interesting news and sometimes there is not, yet a paper must still produce its daily or weekly edition on time regardless.

If the quality of information about Spiritualism is lacking - why criticise as if it is the papers failure or criticise as if it is the Spiritualist movement's fault in some abstract way. People form the Spiritualist movement - if people are not doing anything positive how can the paper report on it. If there are mediums out there doing a good job and you know of it - write about it to PN so that it can include the 'good' news. If it's all rubbish out there in the movement - write about to PN - raise your voice and put your pen to work to tell people what is wrong and why you think it is happening. Better still write about what might be done to stop the rot that you see.

In other words, don't just criticise - do something, say something. If you think the content balance is wrong - make suggestions as to what could/should be included. It is all to easy to criticise but much more valid if you are concerned to do something positive about it.

As to the the issue of it being called "Psychic News" - I may personally wish that this was not its name but I understand the relevance of using that word, particularly in the context of the time in which PN was commenced. We need to remember that while 'psychic' has become somewhat of a 'dirty' word these days, especially because of the broader 'new age' movements use of it, but also because of our current perception of making an important distinction between being 'psychic' and being a 'medium' this attitude is relatively new.

In earlier times the word psychic, was strongly associated with 'psychic force - a non-physical force assumed to explain spiritualistic phenomena and also related to the ability to exercise psychical powers. There was a much more general, and generally accepted interchange between the words 'psychic' and 'mediumship' with less distinction because there was less comprehension of the fact there was or might be a difference.

I suspect that this title might also have been chosen because it was broader than say 'Spiritualist News' as a paper name might have conveyed. In other words perhaps the ambit of the paper was always broader than just the Spiritualist movement and it may have nominally at least moved closer towards that in more recent years.

What really matters is to understand that a paper is not just its editors or journalists. or its other contributers - and remember those who write articles for PN are all volunteers - they do not get paid for their efforts - it is its readership as well. With a paper like PN it relies on its readership to provide the news that is worthy of insertion - when the readership, and Spiritualists don't or can't or won't there is little other option than to include coverage of other topics which some or all of the readership may not find of much interest.

Whatever the current standard of PN may be, it is a vital part of Spiritualism's past, present and future. It needs to continue, it must continue, and it is up to us to ensure it does.

I will get off my soapbox now.

Lis

Lis
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by obiwan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Mac

I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with two bald men arguing over a comb Smile

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by obiwan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Lis

I am not a Spiritualist and have no interest in whether PN survives or falls. As a non-Spiritualist, having subscribed for 12 months I think it was a waste of money and something I would have felt a bit embarrassed to have visitors see. Why is this?

a) Hyped up stories with little or no clear value;
b) Historical reports (some very very old) which are easily obtainable on-line for nothing;
c) Self-promotion of a dubious nature by regular correspondents;
d) Advertising for many churches - having seen a few (possibly not representative I would accept) I am inclined to think they are all similar (ie not much happening in terms of evidence). This list would be better in some kind of SNU 'Directory' or a local paper;
f) Occasional interesting letter, but for the most part debates about esoteric arguments within the Spiritualist movement.

If the PN cannot generate income this is because there is insufficient demand for it surely? This is usually due to content or a declining market.

I don't think PN is aimed at people like me - genuinely interested non-Spiritualists, however if the intended audience is not big enough and/or not interested I think one can draw one's own conclusions.


Last edited by obiwan on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grandma)

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by mac on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am

obiwan wrote:Hi Mac

I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with two bald men arguing over a comb Smile

Very Happy I'm resigned to my follicley-challenged status nowadays which means that a comb is an unfamiliar and wholly redundant personal-grooming tool! Very Happy

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by mac on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 am

Lis wrote:If I may return to the original point of this thread - the rumour that Psychic News might be closed down. Now I have no idea whether the rumour mentioned by Bill has any validity or not and I sincerely hope that such a possibility if it be real will not be realised.

I note that Bill suggested: "PN has been the voice of Spiritua...............option than to include coverage of other topics which some or all of the readership may not find of much interest.

Whatever the current standard of PN may be, it is a vital part of Spiritualism's past, present and future. It needs to continue, it must continue, and it is up to us to ensure it does.

I will get off my soapbox now.

Lis

Good points, Lis. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

As others may know, I'm a strong supporter of Spiritualism but, despite my duck friend obiwan describing himself as a non-Spiritualist, I often find many of my thoughts aligned with his.

I hope that I'm wrong and that PN continues to report whatever there is to report well into the future. Plainly those who continue to buy it must be finding enough of interest inside its pages. Maybe it's just me who has become despondent at what seems to be missing compared with the time when I was a regular reader? Maybe I just think it had more interesting content than at present? Another example of my poor recall of details?

What I ought to do - and perhaps current non-readers might also be prepared to consider? - is to try a 3 months subscription. And then perhaps do what you suggest, Lis, and let the editorial team know what I think about the reporting etc.

One thing's for sure - we won't achieve anything useful by sitting here just grumbling...

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by obiwan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Mac - I think you may be more of a duck than you think. Don't be afraid - come out of the closet Smile

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by mac on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:42 pm

obiwan wrote:Mac - I think you may be more of a duck than you think. Don't be afraid - come out of the closet Smile

I don't think so.....we share some ideas but on others we're poles apart Wink Smile

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by obiwan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 pm

There are many varieties of duck. Don't sell yourself short Smile

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by mac on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 am

obiwan wrote:There are many varieties of duck. Don't sell yourself short Smile

quack, quack! Laughing Laughing Laughing

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by Lis on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:59 am

Hi Obiwan,

I take your point - but what makes you assume that the rumours about closure are the result of insufficient demand for it or inability to generate income?

It may be that there are other issues in play.

Having said that I can only agree with your comments:

obiwan wrote:
a) Hyped up stories with little or no clear value;
b) Historical reports (some very very old) which are easily obtainable on-line for nothing;

Lis
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by obiwan on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:02 am

Lis wrote:Hi Obiwan,

I take your point - but what makes you assume that the rumours about closure are the result of insufficient demand for it or inability to generate income?

It may be that there are other issues in play.

Having said that I can only agree with your comments:

obiwan wrote:
a) Hyped up stories with little or no clear value;
b) Historical reports (some very very old) which are easily obtainable on-line for nothing;
Fair comment Lis Smile - I don't have a factual basis for the assumption Smile - what other reasons(s) do you have in mind?

obiwan


Back to top Go down

David Bruten is new President

Post by jock on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am

[quote="almera"][color=indigo]For your information I actually support the NEC of the SNU how-ever if the Psychic News is to be the voice of spiritualism then it needs to be fully independent of the SNU. I do not know what power struggles or differences of opinions’ that are going on within the paper at the present time. However I do know what has happened in the past. The Reverend Lyn Guest de Swarte was shown the door when she leaned to far to the Christian Spiritualists. Tony Ortzen left after disputes on editorial content and some believe he was trying to gain title of the paper. I believe at this present time the SNU who own the paper will not let it go to the wall and will support it no matter what however I believe heads will roll after the new President arrives after the AGM in July. It is believed by many David Bruten is the favourite for the post and he is already a Director of the Psychic News Al[/color][/quote]

You will see changes now at the Psychic news.


Last edited by almera on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

jock


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by zerdini on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 am

almera wrote:
almera wrote:For your information I actually support the NEC of the SNU how-ever if the Psychic News is to be the voice of spiritualism then it needs to be fully independent of the SNU. I do not know what power struggles or differences of opinions’ that are going on within the paper at the present time. However I do know what has happened in the past. The Reverend Lyn Guest de Swarte was shown the door when she leaned to far to the Christian Spiritualists. Tony Ortzen left after disputes on editorial content and some believe he was trying to gain title of the paper. I believe at this present time the SNU who own the paper will not let it go to the wall and will support it no matter what however I believe heads will roll after the new President arrives after the AGM in July. It is believed by many David Bruten is the favourite for the post and he is already a Director of the Psychic News Al

You will see changes now at the Psychic news.

Your prophecies have always been wrong in the past, Jock, so why should this be any different?

Your comments about Tony Ortzen are completely without foundation and totally wrong as no doubt David Bruton will tell you if you can be bothered to ask instead of fabricating gossip which bears no resemblance to reality.

I have relayed your comments to Tony Ortzen who says to treat them with the contempt it deserves and he will not dignify your rumour-mongering by commenting any further.

Most people expect David Bruton to be the next President anyway but we still have to await the outcome of the vote at the AGM so nothing prophetic there either.

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by Admin on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 am

Hmm I wonder what a Pesident is Almera in that post with that title, David Bruten is new Pesident , is it a freudian slip of theirs, suggesting David Bruton has no R's

almera wrote:
almera wrote:For your information I actually support the NEC of the SNU how-ever if the Psychic News is to be the voice of spiritualism then it needs to be fully independent of the SNU. I do not know what power struggles or differences of opinions’ that are going on within the paper at the present time. However I do know what has happened in the past. The Reverend Lyn Guest de Swarte was shown the door when she leaned to far to the Christian Spiritualists. Tony Ortzen left after disputes on editorial content and some believe he was trying to gain title of the paper. I believe at this present time the SNU who own the paper will not let it go to the wall and will support it no matter what however I believe heads will roll after the new President arrives after the AGM in July. It is believed by many David Bruten is the favourite for the post and he is already a Director of the Psychic News Al

You will see changes now at the Psychic news.

In honesty Almera no evidence, no proof, lots of scuttlebutt and little that adds value in a way that could help or improve Spiritualism.

I have not looked at anything but it is so big noting, in a personal sense of look at mois I know, as if you have "The inside information" I have to say put it up or stop posting as if you are an oracle.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by zerdini on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I have not looked at anything but it is so big noting, in a personal sense of look at mois I know, as if you have "The inside information" I have to say put it up or stop posting as if you are an oracle.

I completely agree. As the saying goes: "Put up or shut up".

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by jock on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:29 pm

David Bruten is new President and oor Jock did not get the job of Class B members rep. on the National Council a dear Lady called Mrs Jones did and I wish them both well. If any of you are involved with the SNU you would have been informed of these facts. As to having evidence of any statements make no difference one is entitled to ones opinion any-way all I see and hear is bluff and loud noises there is no oposing evidence. It seems yet again it is bash almera time I suppose the best defence seems to be is to attack.


Last edited by almera on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

jock


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by jock on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm

This thread stated as a rumour about the Psychic News being closed down it seems there is no sustance to it. There is no proposal been put forwards to the AGM however it may be discussed at AOB if it is brought up and a little bird tells me it might

jock


Back to top Go down

General Chat

Post by jock on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:38 pm

By the way Jim should you not be in bed at this hour
This comes under the heading General Chat

jock


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by zerdini on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:42 pm

almera wrote:David Bruten is new President and oor Jock did not get the job of Class B members rep. on the National Council a dear Lady called Mrs Jones did and I wish them both well. If any of you are involved with the SNU you would have been informed of these facts. As to having evidence of any statements make no difference one is entitled to ones opinion any-way all I see and hear is bluff and loud noises there is no oposing evidence. It seems yet again it is bash almera time I supose the best defense seems to be is to attack.

You are all hot air, Jock! Rolling Eyes

The SNU AGM is at the Hilton Blackpool on the weekend17/18th July 2010.

It's no surprise that you didn't get the Class B members Rep - one didn't have to be psychic to predict that.

Opinion is different to evidence - surely even you can see that.

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by jock on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Bashing is not allowed please amend your post. Because it was postal vote the results are in and published in the news-letter


Last edited by almera on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i should use spell ckeck)

jock


Back to top Go down

Re: Psychic News

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum