SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended Reading

+18
eirefox
Quiet
mac
Left Behind
nick pettitt
autumnlady
Azur
tmmw
Wotan
Skye
lyfsagerny
obiwan
Zandorf
zerdini
Admin
Martin T
hiorta
Wes
22 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Recommended Reading - Page 2 Empty Re: Recommended Reading

Post by Admin Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Wotan/Z,

The Gambier Bolton and Florence Maryatt books are in eform as are the two Emma Hardinge Britten books. I have copies of them and may find a way to get them on a site. Sadly the PDF file for each of them are very large.

The books suggested are excellent reccomendations.

In teh Physical mediumship section the material on Alec Harris is particulaly good, there are scans of rare book sections on David Duguid and much rare information from our past.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 am

http://nasm.org.au/library.html

The following titles can be found here

My Life In Two Worlds Gladys Leonard

The Spirits' Book Allen Kardec

The History of Spiritualism Vol1 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The History of Spiritualism Vol2 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Rev. Stainton Moses Spirit Identity

Re. Stainton Moses Spirit Teachings

Hudson Tuttle Mediumship

Estelle Roberts Fifty Years A Medium

Estelle Roberts Red Cloud My Mission

L Margery Blazett Beyond The Five Senses

Emma Hardinge Britten Nineteenth Century Miracles

James Coates Photographing the Invisible

Two Worlds Magazine Portraits of Mediums circa 1896

D D Home Incidents in my Life

Twixt Two Worlds the work of Wm Eglinton

Sir Wm Crookes Researches in the Phenomena of Modern Spiritualism
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks Jim and belated thanks also to all the other respondants!
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by tmmw Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks Jim,

I like the "Two Worlds Magazine Portraits of Mediums circa 1896". Very interesting preface, here is a small piece of it:

Spiritualism stands for the great principle of Brotherhood, and under its banner of "Immortality proved by facts" are enrolled men, women, and children from all ranks, races, climes and conditions.Royalties or Republicans, courtiers or colliers, creedalists. Conformists or Non-conformists ; Secularists, Agnostics, Materialists, or Rationalists, it matters not. The Spirits have been abroad o'er all the earth, into the highways and byeways, compelling men and women to come in to the marriage feast which celebrates the union of the Two Worlds—the nuptials of Fact and Faith—of Science and Religion. This great fact constitutes Spiritualism the Universal Religion. Spirit manifestation has ever been the basis of Truth underlying the world's Theological creeds and systems, and now that the superficial rubbish is cleared away and the dividing lines are destroyed, we again get down to the bed-rock of Spiritual Principles and Demonstrations. The Truth of God-the-Spirit and Man-the-Spirit makes us free—free to unite in love, sympathy, and service to Humanity, to bring peace, joy, and goodwill upon the earth, and thus to find and live the better way that opens—through the portals of the Death Change—into the Land of Realisation,
Re-union, Progression, and Beauty over-there.

Lynn

tmmw

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 am

I have now added Life Beyond Death with Evidence by Rev Charles Drayton Thomas here
http://nasm.org.au/library.html
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Lynn

Yes it is interesting. I have a copy of Two Worlds Magazine Portraits of Mediums circa 1896. I can't remember whether I got a copy in Australia or Sweden. The small bio of each medium is very revealing as to their various psychic gifts.

Kind regards

Z

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:16 am

The following books have now been added to the Elibrary at
http://www.nasm.org.au/library.html
DD Home His Life and Mission

DD Home Lghts and Shadows of Spiritualism

Explanation of the Mysterious Noises Capron 1850

History of the strange sounds or rapping Dewey 1850

Phenomena of Spirit Manifestations Bonnell 1852

Mysteries or Glimpses of the Supernatural 1852 Elliott

Sights and Sounds Spicer 1853

EELEWIS Original 1848 report on the rappings PSYPIONEER VOL 1 NO 12 APRIL 2005 Link to Psypioneer site -right click open in new tab

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:59 am

I have also added another very rare 1851 pamplet to this library

Pittsburgh and Allegny Spirit Rappings J B Campbell 1851

http://www.nasm.org.au/library.html

You can also catch the latest newsletter in pdf form on thr site and brochures about future activities
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 am

I'm tempted to get Eric Hatton's "Taking up the Challenge", has anyone read it that would care to post a review?

Also, how useful are David Fontana's books? Seeing his name pop up in the Roy Stemman v David Thompson bunfight has made me curious.

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 pm

I found "Is There An Afterlife" by Fontana to be quite a good compendium of evidence across a wide range of phenomena and with good references. It is one I would recommend to someone interested in understanding something of the range of evidence that has been demonstrated and what is possible.

His book "Life Beyond Death", I didn't find as useful. There is some evidence in it but a lot of reference to religious experience and philosophy, which some might find interesting but not me. I didn't think it was strong on evidence.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Admin wrote:http://nasm.org.au/library.html

The following titles can be found here

My Life In Two Worlds Gladys Leonard

The Spirits' Book Allen Kardec

The History of Spiritualism Vol1 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The History of Spiritualism Vol2 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Rev. Stainton Moses Spirit Identity

Re. Stainton Moses Spirit Teachings

Hudson Tuttle Mediumship

Estelle Roberts Fifty Years A Medium

Estelle Roberts Red Cloud My Mission

L Margery Blazett Beyond The Five Senses

Emma Hardinge Britten Nineteenth Century Miracles

James Coates Photographing the Invisible

Two Worlds Magazine Portraits of Mediums circa 1896

D D Home Incidents in my Life

Twixt Two Worlds the work of Wm Eglinton

Sir Wm Crookes Researches in the Phenomena of Modern Spiritualism

Mediumship and Its Laws: Its Conditions and Cultivation bu Hudson Tuttle I would highly recommend or any book by the early pioneers of Spiritualism.

Today's books are rubbish mostly all about the medium's ego and less about the Spirit, I'd rather watch paint dry! Materialisations by Harry Boddington and his book The University of Spiritualism are also excellent, also anything by Arthur Findlay.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:36 pm

zerdini wrote:
Wotan wrote:A lot of suff out there, and a lot of rubbish as well. My first introduction ( found in Woolies many years ago !!) was 'This is Spiritualism' by Maurice Barbanelle. One great read. Another is 'Cavalcade of Spirit', which I think you can get from PN press. The old book on Alex Harris ( They Walked Amongst us ) is gem, but a fuller account is in the new book which I have not read.
The History of Early American Spiritualism ( Emma Hardinge Brittain ) is an eye opener and almost a first hand account. 'Ghosts in Solid Form' by Gambier Bolton gives first hand accounts of early materialisation phenomena, as does 'There is no Death' by Florence Maryatt. Hope that helps

Wotan Smile

Hi Wotan and welcome to the forum.

All the books you recommend are excellent.

Modern American Spiritualism (1870) and Nineteenth Century Miracles (1884), by Emma Hardinge Britten are some of the greatest records of the history of the early Spiritualist movement in America plus Emma's travels around the world recording Spiritualism in many different countries.

‘Alec Harris – The full story of his remarkable physical mediumship’ (253 pages) is available from PN Books by post priced at £9.99, plus £2.40 postage and packing UK, £3.25 Europe and £5.55 rest of the world.

“Cavalcade of Spirit” is by Paul Miller.

Have you read the physical mediumship thread on this forum? It contains some very interesting material.

Last edited by Blue Lotus on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:41 am

If anyone is interested in following Blue Lotus's reccomendation.

Hudson Tuttle Mediumship and Its Laws: Its Conditions and Cultivation is downloadable here
http://www.spiritwritings.com/TuttleMediumship.pdf
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:31 am

Apropos of nothing, I have read Eric Hatton's book and found two points of interest. Firstly is his use of "cocking a snook" and secondly was this interesting observation:

"I therefore wonder whether it is the case that we in the western world have conditioned ourselves to believe that we have to abide by certain practices, and have by our own minds limited in some ways the manifestations of the spirit people into our physical world. We seem almost too fixated on having darkness in the physical seance room, or, at best, the very faintest of red light, yet the Swedish physical medium Einer Nielsen did have good phenomena take place in relatively bright red light."

So to my mind, if you are thinking of starting a physical mediumship group, then you should start as you intend to finish, and work from the beginning with good red light, and infra red cameras in operation.

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Wes,

A very important point what the mind of the Medium says and then ensures happens. The Spirit of PN thread about Dt has some comments about this which are most interesting.

Einer Nielsen's book Solid Proofs of Survival is available here
http://www.survivalebooks.org/books/SolidProofs.zip
Now just look what he put himself through for research purposes yet now the mind of the medium refuses infra red (passive) and passive Thermography ( heat recording). Poor Einer with his stripping, body cavity search, sewing into a bag and stuck behind bars while people stuck needles in him to prove he was in trance. All because he wished to prove his Mediumship was real and with no burns from ectoplasmic backlash.

Sounds very much like a wannabe Physical Medium should be a masochist with a range of fetishes they enjoy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 am

I just ordered What Mediumship Is by Horace Leaf on amazon

Did anyone read it?, Horace is one of the old ones thats the attraction, the old way was the best way.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 pm

I must have a look amongst our books Blue Lotus. I have a pdf version of his 1919 book What is This Spiritualism which is short and very readable.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 am

Admin wrote:I must have a look amongst our books Blue Lotus. I have a pdf version of his 1919 book What is This Spiritualism which is short and very readable.

Jim

Thanks Admin, must check out What is Spiritualism as well Smile

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 pm

I ordered a book recently Leaves From My Life, A Narrative of Personal Experiences in the Career of a Servant of the Spirits (1877) By J.J. Morse

It arrived today, and I have started reading it, it's a beautiful small book. I highly recommend it for those who have yet to read it.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I agree with you Azur, you have reminded me of a book I should add to that elibrary.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 pm

"Practical Occultism" by J.J.Morse is another excellent book.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by autumnlady Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Spirit Teachings - Stainton Moses

The Curse of Ignorance Vol 1 & 2 - Arthur Findlay

Where Two Worlds Meet - Arthur Findlay

The Unfolding Universe - Arthur Findlay

Many Mansions - Air Chief Marshal Hugh Dowding

autumnlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 pm

zerdini wrote:"Practical Occultism" by J.J.Morse is another excellent book.

It is indeed z, I have the revised edition, which includes Practical Occultism, A Sprit Interviewed, Spirit Life and Labour,
Physical Phenomena as a Basis for a Spiritual Religion, The Modern Hell, The Enigma of Death.

An excellent book.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:12 am

autumnlady wrote:Spirit Teachings - Stainton Moses

The Curse of Ignorance Vol 1 & 2 - Arthur Findlay

Where Two Worlds Meet - Arthur Findlay

The Unfolding Universe - Arthur Findlay

Many Mansions - Air Chief Marshal Hugh Dowding

To which I would add "More Spirit Teachings" by Stainton Moses

All books by Arthur Findlay including his psychic novel "The Torch of Knowledge".

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by autumnlady Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 am

zerdini wrote:

To which I would add "More Spirit Teachings" by Stainton Moses

Yes I am yet to get that one. I loved his Spirit Teachings, so much wisdom in there. I have read it so many times and always find something new to ponder over.

And of course any of the Silver Birch Teachings will inspire, lift and educate. They have been a great source of support to me over the years.

autumnlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next