SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curious

5 posters

Go down

Curious Empty Curious

Post by Skye Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:15 pm

I can understand and fully appreciate the reasons for the fifth principal of Spiritualism, but, can anyone explain why as Spiritualists we choose to refer to Jesus as 'The Nazerene' and not call him by his chosen birth name?

I apologise if this post should cause offence, that's not my intention.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Curious Empty Re: Curious

Post by zerdini Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Babs

Jesus was called the Nazarene in the New Testament and many spirit guides did the same.

Kind regards

Z

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks Z.

I was wondering if the reason may have had anything to do with Spiritualists accepting individual responsibility for their own actions rather than believing in and accepting a 'Saviour' to act on their behalf as in most other religions. Or, to discover if there was actually a reason.

I remember when I first started attending a Spiritualist Church in my teens, and hearing Spiritualists mention 'The Nazerene'. Obviously I knew who they were referring to, yet I didn't feel confident enough to query the reasons why. Eventually time passed by and I never thought any more about it until the other day. Realising I still wasn't sure as to why, I thought I would ask.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:15 pm

The reason may have been that well respected guides like Silver Birch and Red Cloud referred to Jesus as the Nazarene as it does in the Bible.

Red Cloud often quoted extensively from the New Testament in his answers to questions often giving new light and meaning to the quotes. Many, as he explained, had been wrongly translated or misinterpreted.

In "Spirit Teachings" by the Rev. Stainton Moses, a reluctant medium, great efforts were made by his guides to explain the truth behind many Biblical stories and through gentle persuasion lead him to a greater spiritual understanding.

Both "Spirit Teachings" and "More Spirit Teachings" are well worth reading.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 am

I am often referred to as the Mancunian by my friends. It does get a bit confusing though.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks again Z for this additional information. Your reccomendation of the 2 books will be added to my book list. I am building up a library once again.Smile

I can relate to your comment Obi. I was often referred to as a mancunican and a middletonian. I often wondered which one I was lol.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:28 pm

LOL Smile very good Smile

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Totally off topic Its easy in Oz, if your from the UK you are a Pom no problem and forever lol. My presumtion of poms married to aussies is the children are possies.

On topic Babs this is one of our wonderfully complex issues which can, in many ways, highlight the initial seperation of our movement. Way back circa 1869 ( I have the dates somewhere I may post about this soon) Andrew Jackson Davis gave a talk defining 3 strands of Spiritualism, rational Spiritualism (which really reflects the Arthur Findlay SNU, NSAC in the USA approach), religious Spiritualism (ie overtly Christian like the Greater World) and Magical Spiritualism (this he commented included the occult views which then became Theosophy...you might say that this is reflected in the Spiritualist places that are overtly inclusive of New Age ideas today).

However this split really only coalesced over time and the use of the Nazarene came through Spirit Guides. However it is unlikely that you would hear the name in a Christian Spiritualist Church.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks Jim. I have attended a Christian Spiritualist Church a number of times and I haven't heard them use this name on any of these visits.

I look forward to learning more about Andrew Jackson Davis and the 3 strands of Spiritualism you mention above.

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by Zandorf Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm

obiwan wrote:I am often referred to as the Mancunian by my friends. It does get a bit confusing though.

Funny really, I often get referred to as "That Scouse Git" wonder why?
Zandorf
Zandorf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am

LOL Zandorf..didn't know you came from the Pool worked there for 15 months in the old Threlfalls Brewery (then Whitbread) as Financial Controller
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Admin wrote:LOL Zandorf..didn't know you came from the Pool worked there for 15 months in the old Threlfalls Brewery (then Whitbread) as Financial Controller
Ah so you were the one with a job? Smile

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Thats right Obi 1981 50% unemployment in parts 33% overall, I was even playing cricket agaisnst a West Indian Team near Toxteth when the riots broke ou wasn't caused by our team I hasten to say. Really liked the people and was it a tough time. Our Management team tried and failed to keep the brewery open.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:28 am

Babs I have posted the Three Strands of Spiritualism in the History of Spiritualism using Andrew Jackson Davis's talk.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skye Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks Jim. Smile

Skye

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Even though I am a Manc, I always had a soft spot for Liverpool and scousers. I worked in Liverpool for many years myself - trying to spread some light into their darkness lol

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zandorf Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:31 pm

obiwan wrote:
Admin wrote:LOL Zandorf..didn't know you came from the Pool worked there for 15 months in the old Threlfalls Brewery (then Whitbread) as Financial Controller
Ah so you were the one with a job? Smile

Back in thos days (I joined the Army in 65, my escape) jobs were easy to get and it was more of an employee market where you had plenty of choice. Not sure when it all went wrong, The conservatives I expect!!!! Labour now compounding the problems.
Zandorf
Zandorf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Well I was there in teh early days of Maggie T and the Union busting recession. Went to that job because Whitbread West Pennines was doing a unique exercise in industrial democracy using a wealth creation bonus scheme. My social change agenda was showing, I wanted to be part of that exercise in the Merseyside region. Left when it became to easy to use the new tactics of kicking unions than create lasting changes. That scheme worked really well before it was pulled sad really.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum