SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remembrance Day

4 posters

Go down

Remembrance Day Empty Remembrance Day

Post by Dronfieldman Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I noted that the leaders of 17 religions were officially present at the Cenotaph in London for the Remembrance service on Sunday but none of them represented Spiritualism. I wonder whether this is because the powers that be decided to snub our religion or whether it was because the leader of the SNU decided he didn't wish to be there. It seemed a shame that Spiritualism wasn't represented.

Dronfieldman

Back to top Go down

Remembrance Day Empty Re: Remembrance Day

Post by Admin Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Yes it is a shame, especially given the numbers that drew to Spiritualism as the First World War progressed. I would be surprised if the current President of the SNU passed up a chance like that one so I guess it is more likely to be that they were just left out.

Here we are in honour of that day an article I wrote for Spirit of PN (the e newspaper that filled the void in teh dispute when the SNU tried to grab control of Psychic News by allowing it to go into liquidation Now that event is still a feature thread on this forum)
https://spiritofpn.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/the-spirit-photography-of-ada-deane-%E2%80%93-the-armistice-day-series/

Last edited by Admin on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 am

Admin wrote:Yes it is a shame, especially given the numbers that derw to Spiritualism as teh First World War progressed. I would be surprised if the current President of the SNU passed up a chance like that one so I guess it is more likely to be that they were just left out.

Here we are in honour of that day an article I wrote for Spirit of PN the e newspaper that filled the void in teh dispute when the SNU tried to grap conytrol of Psychic News by allowing it to go into liquidation (Now that evemt is still a feature thread on this forum)
https://spiritofpn.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/the-spirit-photography-of-ada-deane-%E2%80%93-the-armistice-day-series/

7 years on and folk are still arguing about photos purporting to show images of discarnates visiting this dimension.....

I don't need persasion that life is continuous, that our survival is unquestionable but for others to share my persuasion there needs to be something different on offer. Not the old menu we've had for many decades,- decades during which Modern Spiritualism's message of survival has reached the ears and eyes of fewer and fewer individuals.

It's time for something new.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 am

The photos from armistice day are a red herring in this Mac; Dronfieldman was more enquiring about why the Spiritualists were not represented at the Cenotaph.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Admin wrote:The photos from armistice day are a red herring in this Mac; Dronfieldman was more enquiring about why the Spiritualists were not represented at the Cenotaph.

I hadn't missed that point, Jim but the prominence of the photographic images and the reaction by blog readers on Wordpress (re Spirit of PN back in 2010) made more of an impact on my psyche than the absence of any officer from the SNU at the Remembrance Ceremony at our Cenotaph Memorial.  (Dronfield is just down the road from where I live incidentally.)  

I'm not that much concerned that an organisation notionally representing Modern Spiritualism wasn't  represented on Sunday.  The many accounts involving lost service personnel from the two world wars are mostly forgotten, I'd guess, save for stalwarts like yourselves who research and publish historical material.  Modern Spiritualism is little represented anywhere officially as far as mac can see so it's no surprise it's no longer represented at such a high-profile ceremony.  If it were I'd imagine there would be no-one able to properly explain what it means anyway.

On a positive note I'm heartened to see that the SNU has re-vamped its old online website.  I wrote to David Bruton some time back and his reply indicated that was to happen and now it has so that was a pleasant surprise. When I get to spend some time checking it out I hope I'll be equally pleased at what it offers seekers and committed-Spiritulalists alike.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 pm

mac wrote:
I'm not that much concerned that an organisation notionally representing Modern Spiritualism wasn't  represented on Sunday.  The many accounts involving lost service personnel from the two world wars are mostly forgotten, I'd guess, save for stalwarts like yourselves who research and publish historical material.  Modern Spiritualism is little represented anywhere officially as far as mac can see so it's no surprise it's no longer represented at such a high-profile ceremony.  If it were I'd imagine there would be no-one able to properly explain what it means anyway.

On a positive note I'm heartened to see that the SNU has re-vamped its old online website.  I wrote to David Bruton some time back and his reply indicated that was to happen and now it has so that was a pleasant surprise. When I get to spend some time checking it out I hope I'll be equally pleased at what it offers seekers and committed-Spiritulalists alike.

I agree Mac we researchers are probably now the only ones sadly. Its much better to justify Spiritualism on the past research and that material than much of what we see now. very few know or care but when I do a historical talk it raises a great deal of interest. Like you I feel our day is done and unless we can revamp the way we approach the new generation its dead, most accept life after death but want a pick and mix personal philosophy. Virtual reality, 1400 hundred facebook followers, many hugely interested in posts or events but turning teh virtual centre into bums on seats in the physical centre seems almost impossible these days.

Thanks for the heads up on the web site I will take a look
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 am

I had a look round the SNU's new website and decided I would become a member only to find after completing my application that on the following page it asked me for £31 - no mention elsewhere of a charge !  And for what?  The following:

Add your voice to our community
       Keep up to date with our movement
       Attend, speak and vote at District and National Meetings
       Gain discounts on SNU courses
       Become active within District and National Committees (Subject to qualification)
       Seek advice and support from the SNU about Spiritualism

Bugger all as far as I'm concerned.  Mad

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 am

My conclusion from many years ago, too mac.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum