SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Borderland

5 posters

Go down

The Borderland Empty The Borderland

Post by Mark74 Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm

I have often read of victorian spiritualists and mediums referring to the borderland, perhaps someone might shed some light on what the borderland exactly is. Is it the spirit plane closest to the earth? It is never mentioned nowadays.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

The Borderland Empty Re: The Borderland

Post by Mark74 Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:52 pm

By George I do believe I got it.....

Spiritualists in the nineteenth century spoke of the "Borderland," a shadowy threshold where the living communed with the dead, and where those in the material realm could receive comfort or advice from another world.

--- Amy Lehman's, Victorian Women and the Theatre of Trance:
Mediums, Spiritualists and Mesmerists in Performance

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:46 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Borderland-Volume-Quarterly-Review-Index/dp/1231217707

Bit pricey for a repro!
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:52 pm

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VcBs8enYCCcC&pg=PA497&lpg=PA497&dq='The+Medium+and+daybreak+Spiritualist+Newspaper+and+the+Borderland'&source=bl&ots=XLDYSXSi0k&sig=ID17-mKdi8_IRK-RfJSIGgu820U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bz3WT4aFMtTd8QP8j5GvAw&ved=0CGIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q='The%20Medium%20and%20daybreak%20Spiritualist%20Newspaper%20and%20the%20Borderland'&f=false

This one is free.
Janet Oppenheim who wrote it passed to spirit tragically early. I often wondered if she was related to Minnie Oppenheim the medium who was the sectioned sister of E Phillips Oppenheim the Ian Fleming of his day.
They were a Leicester family. Minnie was incarcerated in Northamptron Asylum with Mabel Barltrop.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Now I was reading about the Borderland recently. Cannot remember where I saw it.
Rather interesting article,saying something about the first level we encounter after physical death.
Where spirit and physical mingle.
Joan
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Hey Pete and Joan thanks for the responses will have a look at that link you posted Pete cheers. Joan, that sounds interesting if you recall perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing where you read the info on the Borderland. Fair play appreciate it. Smile

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Interestting idea. Maybe also where earthbounds who haven't made full transition reside.
Mark' s Lehman quote is useful but partial because some Spiritualists never used that term or concept plus Lehman covers far wider territory. Female roles in performance and early feminisms for two.. The Borderland publication linked to above had that title as a sort of catch all term for its contents. Bit like Medium and Daybreak the publication saw itself as the medium for the new dawn or daybreak of Spiritualism apart from covering and advertising working mediums. Names can be less than descriptive, for example Psychic News seldom covers what we call 'psychic' these days.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 pm

... what, these days; we'd call psychic.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Well teh mention of Borderland Magazine led me onto W T Stead its editor, who as people will remember was a casualty of the Titanic

Blue Island is one of the classic books where Stead is claimed to communicate from the other side On Line read here
http://archive.org/stream/blueislandexperi00stea#page/n9/mode/2up

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:42 am

I wonder if the Borderland is the place the NDE'rs speak of: that they go somewhere in spirit, but sense or are told that if they cross a boundary (variously described as a fence, wall, line, hedge, stream, etc. ), they cannot return to their earthly bodies.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 am

Mark74 wrote:Hey Pete and Joan thanks for the responses will have a look at that link you posted Pete cheers. Joan, that sounds interesting if you recall perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing where you read the info on the Borderland. Fair play appreciate it. Smile

It's not long ago,Mark. Will see what I can dig up from the borders of my memory. Very Happy
Joan
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am

Left Behind wrote:I wonder if the Borderland is the place the NDE'rs speak of: that they go somewhere in spirit, but sense or are told that if they cross a boundary (variously described as a fence, wall, line, hedge, stream, etc. ), they cannot return to their earthly bodies.

Left Behind, that crossed my mind as well. Victorian medium once said, (can't recall the medium's name) ''The medium's proper home is not this world nor the next, but that vague and debatable land that lies between them. We are not allowed to enter the the spirit realms, but can be taken to the borderland to glimpse the wonders of the realms.''

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 am

Admin wrote:Well teh mention of Borderland Magazine led me onto W T Stead its editor, who as people will remember was a casualty of the Titanic Blue Island is one of the classic books where Stead is claimed to communicate from the other side On Line read here http://archive.org/stream/blueislandexperi00stea#page/n9/mode/2up

Thanks Admin, read about Stead in a few publications. Fascinating gent, was given a small text book some years back, ''Communication with the Next World, the right and wrong menthods, Given by W.T. Stead through Madame Hyver.'' Find myself going back to it from time to time. Nice little book, captures the era he came from.

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 am

petal34 wrote:
Mark74 wrote:Hey Pete and Joan thanks for the responses will have a look at that link you posted Pete cheers. Joan, that sounds interesting if you recall perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing where you read the info on the Borderland. Fair play appreciate it. Smile

It's not long ago,Mark. Will see what I can dig up from the borders of my memory. Very Happy
Joan

Good girl Laughing

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Sorry,having problems with the net today,hence why I haven't been on site.
Apparently in the plane surrounding our world which verges onto the spirit world is called the Borderland. Neither earth nor spirit.
Where we meet anf spirit meet.
Often wondered why we get brief glimpses of spirit and they mingle with us.
That's all I could find,Mark.
Hope it is correct.
Joan
ps, Print on site has been drasically reduced so nearl typing typing blind.
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark74 Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

petal34 wrote:Sorry,having problems with the net today,hence why I haven't been on site. Apparently in the plane surrounding our world which verges onto the spirit world is called the Borderland. Neither earth nor spirit. Where we meet anf spirit meet. Often wondered why we get brief glimpses of spirit and they mingle with us. That's all I could find,Mark. Hope it is correct. Joan ps, Print on site has been drasically reduced so nearl typing typing blind.

Super Joan confirms my thoughts on it. Happy days Smile

Mark74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum