SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator

+18
Ann Harrison
Daveywavey
earthterian
Bill
Wes
veritas
Geoff Griffiths
Lavine
Claire
mac
Dan
Lis
Eilis
Inspiration
zerdini
jock
hiorta
Admin
22 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator - Page 7 Empty Re: Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator

Post by Daveywavey Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:53 am

I have yesterday (8th September 2010) received a letter from the liquidator of Psychic Press1995 Ltd informing me of the creditors meeting to be held on 15th September.

This letter was dated 31st August 2010. It contained a proxy form which was to be completed and returned no later than 12 noon on the 6th August 2010.

Now as sceptical as I am about the motives of the NEC of the SNU to scupper any opposition to there "financial decision" to destroy the only mouthpiece of spiritualists worldwide and cling on to it's assets, I wonder why I have received this letter, one week after it is dated, informing me that my only means of participation in the proceedings expired over a month before I received the letter.

It does make me wonder how long the liquidators have had that letter sitting on their system waiting to send it? Did they just forget to ammend the dates?

I do also have to question following on from previous discussions regarding the legal timescales required for the filing of certain documetation legally required during a liquidation, are the liquidators competent to carry out the tasks entrusted to them? The fact that the required documentation has not been filed within the legally required timescale. Also, on 8th September I recieved this letter, requiring a response by 6th August, makes me wonder wether they are entirely incompetant, or is there another motive behind these errors.

As the letter is adressed to "All Known creditors" I Assume that I have permission to quote it here.

31st August 2010
TO ALL KNOWN CREDITORS

Dear Sirs

PSYCHIC PRESS 1995 Limited (THE COMPANY)
The directors of the company, having regard to its financial position, have decided to take steps to place the Company into creditors' voluntary liquidation. A meeting of the company's creditors has been conveened on 15th September 2010 at 76 New Cavendish Street, London, W1G 9TB at 2.30p.m.

The main purpose of the creditors meeting will be to vote for the appointment of a liquidator or liquidators to deal with the winding up of the Company. A liquidation committee of between three and five creditors may also be formed. The Committee will monitor and comment on progress in the liquidation, the exercise of certain powers by the liquidator and determine the basis of the liquidator's renumeration.

Enclosed with this letter are the following documents:

Notice of meeting of creditors

A Proxy form which must be completed and returned as soon as possible and in any event, no later than 12 noon on 6 August 2010, to enable you or your representative to vote at the meeting of creditors

A Statement of claim form.

In order to vote at the meeting you must supply written details of your outstanding debts

Details of Berley's charge out rates and policy regarding recharge of disbursements.

A "Creditor's Guide to Liquidator's Fees" is available on request or can be downloaded from www.icaew.co.uk/insolvency.

Mark West can be contacted at the address above and will be pleased to help you with any queries you may have.

Yours faithfully

"indistinguishable signature"
BERLEY

This whole debacle seems to be going from bad to worse. Not only have the NEC of the SNU acted in what appears to be not only an illegal but entirely unspiritual manner, they also appear to have appointed liquidators that don't seem to be aware that August actually happens before September each year. Given that the apparent subtifuge and attempts to obstruct the creditors of the Psychic Press from having any participation in the proceedings due to take place on the 15th September, I believe that the meeting scheduled for that date must be postponed. All creditors must be given a fair chance of making representations and this is certainly not the case so far.

Surely we must have some people here that can advise on the legality of all of this?

Lets not take this lying down guys. If the NEC are all love and light acting in the best interests of all spiritualists then fair enough. If there is malpractise, egotism and corruption going on then that needs to be exposed. Let's see this thing out.

Daveywavey

Back to top Go down

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator - Page 7 Empty Re: Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator

Post by Admin Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:04 am

Very well said Davey,

I love the points you are making in this absolutely right.

The dates are interesting as they stated they only took up any role on the 1st September. It also seems that many letters are only going out now since my rather fascinating exchanges with Mark West of the liquidator company Berley.

By the way are you a creditor for a subscription like us?

We must not take this lying down. My last contact with him specifies the proxy forms must be in by the 14th September noon at the latest with the staement of claim proving the debt. If you have an outstanding debt and have not received the forms contact me with your email address, by personal message and I will forward these onto you.

I am currently looking for a proxy to attend and vote on behalf of all of us.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveywavey Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 am

Hi Admin,
Yes I am a creditor. I paid my regular subscription to the Psychic News after the decision was made to liquidate the company. Therefore not only am I a creditor but also I believe a victim of fraudulent activity. My money was taken with no warning when the directors already knew my subscription would not be honoured.

Who do these people think they are? Do they really believe they are above the law?

I am so incensed that the people elected to represent the spiritualist community of this country are left to blatantly ignore the laws of the land and as usual, all good spiritualists will just roll on their backs waiting for their bellies to be tickled.

For God's sake, literally, please stop letting these crooks get away with taking us all for absolute fools whilst they do nothing but promote their own interests. These people's actions are draging the entire movement's name through the mud.

Stand up and be counted for once.

These parasites rely on the "nice" nature of spiritualists that seem happy to allow these crooks to march in and "take over the affairs" of perfectly well run churches with the sole intention of aquiring properties that never previously and were never intended to, belong to the SNU.

How do they believe that the can retain ownership of the name "Psychic News" along with the copyright of titles owned by Psychic Press when they were only ever custodians of the title?

Why is the "Arthur Findlay College of Psychic Science" which happens to be the official title of the college, only ever referred to with the omission of the last three words? The reason is because the college does nothing whatsoever to fulfill those last three words. The college was bequested to the SNU with the sole purpose of furthering the study of Psychic Science , not as it has been used recently to promote the extremley limited methods of working (mostly with mental mediumship) in the sanitised and straightjacketed way that the SNU requires their mediums to work.

The AFC's tutor's recent proclamations (Which I believe the backlash to are a major reason for the demise of Psychic News) show that the college is more recently a method to promote the sanitised version of mediumship preferred by the NEC as opposed to the whole and entire reason the college was donated to the union which was the research of Psychic Science.

I am a trance healer. Not in the sensationalist and currently very popular sense of the term. Just in the way that that's how my helpers choose to work with me. I am also a physical medium.Where do I stand on both of these points? I am not permitted to carry out healing in an SNU church. In fact the SNU spent many years refusing to acknowledge trance healing, that is until they discovered that they had a trance healer amongst their ranks. Then they began running trance healing courses, despite not being permitted to conduct Trance Healing sessions in SNU Churches. Personally I feel I have very little to learn from the living with regards to my own development, I'd rather take guidance from my helpers on the other side who don't seem to suffer from the same limitations as the living. As for Physical mediumship. Apparently now there is no need for it. Things have moved on.

Let's also look at the National memorial. Do we realy believe, as spiritualists, that those brave souls that laid down their lives will gain any benefit from the £20,000+ memorial? Or do we believe that the bruised ego's of certain members of the SNU not being allowed their appearance on TV to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph each year resulted in the campaign? Surely had a campaign to save the Psychic News been engaged upon with such vigour, we would not be in the situation that we are now?

The NEC of the SNU have behaved in an abonimable way and have now shown their true arrogance. Their diregard for the needs of spiritualists, their belief that that they are above question, their belief that they are above the law, the fact that they blatently disregard to the condition's that they were gifted the college upon, their complete disregard for the wishes of the SNU members and above all else, the fact that they have no comprehension of the damage that they are about to bring upon all spiritualists.

I ask every person who's motivation is truly to bring the great truth that we know and share, to do everything in their power to stop these people before they do any more damage. I'm not suggesting that we throw out the baby with the bathwater. There are many genuine, caring and loving people within the SNU. Every member of the SNU must consider wether or not the actions of the NEC are actions that they would have undertaken themselves. If not, are the NEC truly representing them?

I also ask every peron involved with the demise of Psychic News to examine their motivation carefully. Many of us suspect that their motivation may be less than honourable. After all if you truly belive in principle number 6. Contribution and retribution hereafter for all the good and evil deeds done on earth, then we can only hope that number 7 is true also, Eternal progress to every human soul.

Daveywavey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:46 am

Whilst it must at this time only be supposition, I too do wonder whether in part at least what has happened with Psychic News may not have been influenced by the Psychic News actually publishing criticism of the AFC tutors 'proclamations' regarding what Spiritualists should believe.

I for one found much of what they claimed should be the 'official' view about various matters, remarkably uninformed, even odd, views, quite in contradiction to longstanding understanding of such matters based on wisdom from the spirit world.

I also agree that there are many genuine, caring and loving people within the SNU. It is evident however, that those on the NEC who have been directly involved in the demise of Psychic News could not be counted among that number.

Sadly, I think that Daveywavey is correct when they say that many good Spiritualists, who really should be standing up to be counted over this dismal affair, and challenging the new President of the SNU, the Chairman and a Director of Psychic Press, to own up to what has been done and why it was done in the way it has been will remain silent, and do nothing to stop the SNU from pursuing its intended action - that is to hijack Psychic News to make it their own in-house publication.

Given they have dispensed with all the skilled and experienced staff, in, I might add, the most appalling and shoddy manner, I must wonder just whom they intend to appoint as the editor of the 'new' Psychic News? I can only hope that any person worth approaching to take on this task will prove to be both ethical and honest and tell the SNU to go jump.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Well said Daveywavey. It really is time to stand up and be counted. What is wrong with SNu members? Are they scared because of there churches or something? I have a friend who is Pn staff and they said they aren't allowed to go to the meeting even though they got no redundancy pay. How can that be right when they are owed like everyone else? This all smells of fish so much so why isn't anyone SNU doing something? Surely there must be someone high up there who is uncomfortable with whats happening.

Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann Harrison Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Well at last I have my creditor's papers but as I live in Spain I cannot attend the meeting. Is there anyone out there who is attending that could be proxy?

I too have been told that the staff cannot attend but surely they are creditors if they haven't been given redundancy?
Just what is going on?

Ann (I can't be doing with hiding behind psuedos)

Ann Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann Harrison Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:46 pm

I have just checked the email address for Mark West at Berley's to get the forms and it should be mark.west@BERLEY.co.uk NOT just west@berley.co.uk. I had it returned the first time until I went though info@berley.co.uk. So if you are having difficulty try this new address.

Ann Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Ann,

Thank you for letting us know that you received your creditors papers. It is a pity that so many who are also creditors are not receiving them.

It is also interesting that these papers are being sent out so close to the due date of the meeting, leaving many with little opportunity to arrange attendance at the meeting.

Like you, I reside too far away to attend the meeting, though I sincerely wish I was in a position to do so, as I believe that without a good showing of the many small creditors who have been affected by the actions of the SNU attending and speaking out firmly, that organization will be able to do what it wants with impunity.

I hope that someone willing to act as a proxy for all of us who cannot attend will step forward soon before we run out of time to have a say.

I do not know the intricacies of liquidation law, and so do not know whether staff who have been allegedly made redundant without receiving their benefits and therefore are told to claim it from the government scheme, are thereby excluded from the status of creditor.

If this is the case, it would seem quite unfair, especially in the actual circumstances in which the staff were dismissed from their employment. As I understand it, a number of the staff may have been with PN for a long time and have therefore suffered a significant financial loss as a result of their removal from employment.

I certainly do feel that they should have a right to attend the meeting and to vote.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by veritas Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Apparently the SNU has repaid most of the people who booked for the Psychic News physical mediumship day. Perhaps Admin could explain whether that means the SNU has taken responsibility for the debts of Psychic Press? I have no expertise but can only assume that if they acknowledge that one of the company's debts is theirs to honour, then all must be.

veritas

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 am

veritas wrote:Apparently the SNU has repaid most of the people who booked for the Psychic News physical mediumship day. Perhaps Admin could explain whether that means the SNU has taken responsibility for the debts of Psychic Press? I have no expertise but can only assume that if they acknowledge that one of the company's debts is theirs to honour, then all must be.

Hi Veritas,

In my third email to the liquidator I asked this specific question,
I also understand, from a reliable source, that the Spiritualist National Union has repaid, by a cheque drawn on the SNU, one couple for the tickets they had paid for regarding one of the a future events which will not be happening. Strangely they are the only people I have been told about receiving a repayment, others have been told repayment is unlikely because there will be insufficient funds in the Company.

This is a very odd situation as the money was paid to Psychic Press yet the SNU are repaying it does this mean;
• The SNU are accepting liability for all debts outstanding from Psychic Press? Have they accepted that, as the members of their National Executive Council effectively took over the Management of Psychic Press after the resolution to liquidate on May 22nd , they have a moral and legal responsibility to make good the insolvent debts?
• That they have opted to pay one person but not others? If so surely this is evidence that they should accept liability for all of the debts?

Sadly the major thrust of his reply was to suggest
I refer to your recent email and specifically, the email dated 31 August 2010. There are factual inaccuracies within the email relating to the company, its officers, the ownership of assets, it current status, reasons for demise et al. Obviously, you have based your conclusions on limited information and it is fair to say that some of it is misleading.

I replied to him that I thought my information was as accurate as anything he had received from the NEC and Psychic Press, I did this because Susan Farrow's Paranormal Review interview gave so much confirmation to the ideas written in Paranormal Review and on here.

His final response to me, copying 3 of his Berley Compatriots and the ubiquitous Mr Charles Coulston General Secretary of the SNU was
I attach the documents included with my original email. The fiduciary obligation to handle the affairs of the Company remains with the directors until the company is formally placed into liquidation on 15 September. Prior to liquidation, all queries should be directed to them. Notwithstanding that I have provided you with statutory notices et al, you still seem to consider that the information independently obtained by you is accurate. It is difficult for me to answer any queries given that you seem reluctant to accept anything where it is juxtaposed to your views. A report will be circulated after the meeting which I hope addresses your issues.

If you have queries during the hiatus period, I suggest you refer them to the former directors as clearly their knowledge of events is far better than mine.

Mark West
Berley.

In reality they are confirming what is a legal truth THEY ARE NOT THE LIQUIDATORS UNTIL APPOINTED AT THE CREDITORS MEETING. They re also trying to deny my claims and dodge the issues surrounding the repayment by the SNU. If a sufficient value of creditors existed to outtmatch the debt owed to the SNU Berley's could be rejected as Liquidators by the Creditors.

In reality for the SNU to repay people who paid money into Psychic Press is a very strange act. It suggests
  • that they reaklise the money for these events should never have been taken i.e. In June they knew they were insolvent and the events would not take place
They have become aware that this is a fraudulent transaction and are trying belatedly to put matters right

My bet is that they will now claim the representative to the SNU Trust took these monies and put them into the trust fund "for safety". However any credit card payments went into the PP account and it is my understanding there may be evidence to prove that is not what occured which I am sure will turn up if they make that claim.

In effect the SNU accepting a need to repay one class of debt suggests they should honour all creditors claims. Given the close involvement of the SNU and its officers in running the company directly, after what appears to be the fateful final board meeting on May 22nd, I am sure this would be something of interest to the legal profession.

It should be of very much interest to a liquidator, as should be all the issues raised here and in paranormal review. However, I fail to see how we can expect one who has been working with the directors since April, who may even have settled upon a fixed fee which the SNU will pay them, can really be seen by outsiders to be objective investigators of an insolvent company. As conjecture to do so could well be to be to turn down a fee in the hand to seek money which they could only gain by prosecuting, or threatening to prosecute the Directors of Psychic Press. Mark you if they did the latter I am pretty sure they would get up to 100,000 pounds from those people, to buy off the legal action.

Of course all this is hypothetical as a matter of interest. It may be a question of the due diigence of the ethical liquidator, as I am certain a Company like Berley's is, against reneging on a deal the Direcors thought they had. It is an interesting piece of conjecture which just lacks any evidence, oh well we can just contemplate and watch how events unfold.

The reality is morally, ethically and perhaps now the SNU has paid one class of creditors even legally the SNU should cover all debts and the very large sum in employee entitlements that their actions have ripped from loyal employees who have been uncermoniously dumped by them.

Just think, in their greed to grab the masthead and archives, these people, who claim to be the leadership of a great Spiritual Movement, turned down a fair offer to purchase the company a deal which would have looked after all creditors and MOST IMPORTANTLY THOSE STAFF, who have now had their future security ripped away.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 am

In the final letter from Mark West he wrote the following

A report will be circulated after the meeting which I hope addresses your issues.

I think I could write that now based upon the first statement issued upon the SNU web site. It will be a white wash I am sure.

If the employees are excluded from the creditors meeting I doubt that there is one creditor of sufficient size to prevent Berley's being appointed liquidator. I also bet it would be impossible to stop the Committee of Inspection of the Creditors from being formed entirely from the members of the NEC.

At this stage this is exactly what I expect to see. The Committee of Inspection has the right to approve liquidator payments and agree to the sale of assets.

I guess you all know where this is going, a legally binding agreement for the SNU to buy the masthead and archives for an amount that satisfies the charges the liquidator makes to deliver the coup de gras to PP (1995).

Letters to all creditors to sadly say you have lost your money their is no surplus in the liquidation.

A pretty cheap and sadly legal operation (albeit it has travelled some very murky legal waters getting there but without someone with the funds for an expensive legal fight for principles areas which will remain unchallenged I expect) the SNU get the things they want for bit of expense, a debt write off and some fancy footwork. As I write this I can imagine their pleasure out of achieving a plan clearly put in place back in April a few handshakes possibly a smirk or two and a few well dones.

The ones who have paid for this have been the staff who, as I understand could well have nearly 100 years dedication to this effort, cast out with no umbrella of redundancy, by an employer whose ethical practices are far worse than many money making businesses.

I cannot see how they can not be creditors. Until the liquidation is in place and they get the proper paper work they cannot get money from the Government. Indeed if they had the Government would be lodging as a creditor of the company, attending and voting at the meeting. In an earlier post Z pointed this out to us.

At this stage I believe they are creditors capable of lodging a full proof of debt including redundancy monies. As such they would clearly be the major creditor able to overturn Berleys appointment and to set the membership of the Committee of Inspection.

Lets get to work folks, try and establish they have a right to attend and vote, to knock over this carefully crafted and cunning plan.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 am

From an Insolvency Practitioner (NOT Berley's):

Company Liquidation

The primary purpose of a limited company is to liquidate it.
Let’s be honest, limited liability is why you formed the company in the first place – to avoid personal liability for the debts of the business in the event it went bust.
In the event of insolvency, to limit your liability, you need to liquidate the company.
When a limited company is placed into liquidation, the shareholders and directors are not personally liable for the debts of the company, unless personally guaranteed. Once the company is in liquidation, creditors cannot take legal action against either you or the company (except for any P.G.’s).
The Liquidator once appointed, takes legal control of the company from the directors and deals with the winding up, at which point the directors are free to pursue new opportunities.

How to Liquidate
It is cheap, easy and fast.
It is a simple three step process, involving three meetings:
• 1. Directors board meeting
• 2. Shareholders meeting
• 3. Creditors meeting
The directors are able to buy the assets of the company from the Liquidator, should they wish to do so, and use the assets to trade a new business.
Only a licensed insolvency practitioner is legally able to act as liquidator.

Risks for Directors
The Liquidator will undertake a review of the director’s conduct and report any evidence of unfit conduct to the disqualification unit of the government Insolvency Service, and this may lead to a ban from acting as a director in future.
For smaller companies, the chances of action being taken against the directors are limited.

In the current climate when many well managed companies are in financial difficulty due to the economic conditions, the prospect of a ban is low, especially in smaller cases with less than say £100,000 in liabilities.

Your Best Option
Why is Liquidation the Best Option for a Small Company that has run out of Cash

It is cheap, easy and fast.

Assets can be acquired at a distressed value, and payment terms can be agreed with the Liquidator.
The Liquidator takes his fees from the asset realisations, unless there are no assets, in which case he will act on a fixed fee payable in advance.

Voluntary Liquidation
Voluntary Liquidation is usually the most realistic option to achieve a business recovery, by buying the assets from the Liquidator, or alternatively undertaking a pre-liquidation asset transfer. While these options may appear underhand, they are commonplace and perfectly legal so long as certain key rules are complied with.
That is why it is important to instruct experienced professionals to deal with what is a sensitive, commercial matter.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:24 am

Thank you for that Z I am sure that it does add something to the information we have already put up on here, although much is repeated. I am still unsure why people would choose liquidation. Is this from a friend of yours Z could you ask him for more information? I take it you are sharing something from a reliable source who could give us more knowledge.

Now I believe anyone facing a problem should immediately use the appointment of an Administrator. This gives the chance to deal with the creditors directly. There are two comments here very much at odds

The directors are able to buy the assets of the company from the Liquidator, should they wish to do so, and use the assets to trade a new business.
Only a licensed insolvency practitioner is legally able to act as liquidator.
and
Risks for Directors
The Liquidator will undertake a review of the director’s conduct and report any evidence of unfit conduct to the disqualification unit of the government Insolvency Service, and this may lead to a ban from acting as a director in future.
For smaller companies, the chances of action being taken against the directors are limited.

In the current climate when many well managed companies are in financial difficulty due to the economic conditions, the prospect of a ban is low, especially in smaller cases with less than say £100,000 in liabilities.

I would be very careful in accepting this advice because the rights of other Creditors do remain Paramount and their are significant risks to Directors as are shown. Now it is clear that the Psychic Press Directors crossed this line.

Well done Z for pointing that out at one point I thought you were balancing in the middle of this.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Daveywavey,

You raise two very good points

The AFC's tutor's recent proclamations (Which I believe the backlash to are a major reason for the demise of Psychic News) show that the college is more recently a method to promote the sanitised version of mediumship preferred by the NEC as opposed to the whole and entire reason the college was donated to the union which was the research of Psychic Science.
It is very noticeable that not only did Psychic News report the problems but Barry Oates Chairman of the new and widely praised Philosophy and Ethics committee complained to Duncan Gascoyne (in SNU pet name terms Gasbag) the response received led to him resigning along with the whole committee which is now empty. Goodstuff and now David Bruton (Brutal by nickname) and Gascoyne are promoting the AFC and the Tutors as the theologians of our movement. This is really scary given the morality of the NEC, it is made worse because this is largely comprised of ministers and officiants of the SNU, it makes their position even stranger on this sorry death of Psychic News and the summary execution of its staff. That dissertation by the tutors was, at best, a very ordinary piece of work, albeit done for the right reasons,. It appears the criticisms may have caused such reaction in the SNU it got rid of Psychic News as an independent body instead of appealing for help.

[quote]Let's also look at the National memorial. Do we realy believe, as
spiritualists, that those brave souls that laid down their lives will gain any benefit from the £20,000+ memorial? Or do we believe that the bruised ego's of certain members of the SNU not being allowed their appearance on TV to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph each year resulted in the campaign? Surely had a campaign to save the Psychic News been engaged upon with such vigour, we would not be in the situation that we are now?

Hmm Iwatched a serious documenntary on drug addiction and child abuse last night and we have a long way to go as a body, at least the traditional church is trying to help. Psychics and mediums, properly trained, should make great counsellors but we offer the world nothing in social leadership. Our pioneers fought slavery, womens rights, you name it, they were active. Spiritualism is on the verge of failing Spirit and the Pioneers. The so called leaders of our movement seem intent on personal prestige and power.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:20 am

Hi all,

We have kindly had an offer from someone willing to stand as representative for Creditors unable to attend the Psychic Press Creditors meeting on the 15th Sptember.

This person is well known to many, a member of the Society for Psychical Research not the SNU and is prepared to represent anyone who is unable to be there like ourselves. We are very happy to see them take this role on for ourselves.

If you would like them to act upon your behalf then send a private message to Admin and we will let you know how to proceed.

Last edited by Lis on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Psychic News, SNU Spiritualist National Union and Liquidator - Page 7 Empty Sendind a private message

Post by Inspiration Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,

How do we send you a pirvate message?

Inspiration

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann Harrison Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Just click on the little box to the right of your screen on Lis's message that we can contact them. The box shows a little head and shoulders and says MP against it and it will bring up the private message box for you to write a message

Ann Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:14 am

Hi Inspiration Lis is having a lttle problem with her messaging so you can send it to me if you like
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:44 am

OF course the funniest thing sent out by the liquidator, at the start of September was this letter from the executive director Mark Bradley

Just look at the dates
PSYCHIC PRESS 1995 LIMITED

COMPANY NUMBER - 02978126

THE INSOLVENCY ACT 1986

TRADING ADDRESS -

REGISTERED OFFICE - REDWOODS, STANSTED HALL, STANSTED, ESSEX, CM24 8UD

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN pursuant to Section 98 of the Insolvency Act 1986 that a meeting of creditors of the above Company will be held at 76 New Cavendish Street, London ,W1G 9TB on 9 August 2010 at 10.30am for the purposes provided for in Sections 99 and 101 of the Act.

A proxy form is enclosed which, to enable a creditor to vote, must be lodged, together with a statement of claim, at the offices of Berley, 76 New Cavendish Street, London W1G 9TB, not later than 12.00 noon on 8 August 2010. The proxy form and statement may be posted or sent by fax to 0207 636 4115.

Secured creditors may only vote for the balance of the debt, which will not be recovered by enforcement of the security, unless right to enforce is waived.

A list of the names and addresses of the Company's creditors will be available for inspection free of charge at the offices of Berley, 76 New Cavendish Street, London W1G 9TB, on 5 August 2010 and 6 August 2010 between the hours of 10.00 am and 4.00 pm.
If no liquidation committee is formed, a resolution may be taken specifying the terms on which the liquidator is to be remunerated.

The meeting will receive information about, or be called upon to approve, the costs of preparing the statement of affairs and convening the meeting.

DATED THIS 19 July 2010

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by deejayhop Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:33 pm

The following was posted on 19th September:

It is very noticeable that not only did Psychic News report the problems but Barry Oates Chairman of the new and widely praised Philosophy and Ethics committee complained to Duncan Gascoyne (in SNU pet name terms Gasbag) the response received led to him resigning along with the whole committee which is now empty. Goodstuff and now David Bruton (Brutal by nickname) and Gascoyne are promoting the AFC and the Tutors as the theologians of our movement.

There are inaccuracies in these words.  
The committee is not new: I was a member for six years, with my close friend Barry Oates. We were both,with another colleague, co-authors of 'Philosophy of Spiritualism.'
It was me, in my capacity as a member of the NEC (not as a member of the P&E committee), who made the complaint relating to the article in PN concerning statements made by some AFC tutors.  The then-President's response was a personal attack on me and an attack on the P&E Committee.  This attack on the committee led to Mr Oates' resignation as Chair. He remained on the committee, as did the other members of the committee.  I was appointed by the NEC to the position of Chair.
The members of the committee completed the book they were writing for the Union (The Religion of Spiritualism) . This was presented at the SNU AGM in July,
Subsequent to the AGM, the committee members were not reappointed.  They did not resign. No names of members of the committee currently appear on the SNU website; this appears to indicate that the NEC has not appointed members to this committee.

Comment, debate and discussion have been the hall-mark of the Union during my fifty years of membership and I have been active in much discussion during this time.  I would not want to stiffle open and frank comment; indeed I welcome it.  However, it is necessary for such comment to be based on knowledge and fact, not supposition, hearsay and prejudice.

It would be interesting to see contibutors state if they are members of the Union. If you really want to influence the decision-making process you would be more effective doing it from within rather than standing on and shouting from the side-lines.  If you have words of wisdom and comments of value, there are many within the SNU who would welcome you with open arms.

Do not tar all Union members - or indeed all members of the NEC (current or former) - with the same brush. There have been many honourable men and women who have served Spiritualism with distinction who have sat on this body.  Give them the respect to which they are entitled.  Cetainly do not deify them or make them saints - but them the same could be said for folks like Barbie (with whom I crossed swords more than once!).

Progress can be painful but has to be embraced. I want a paper that reflects my religious philosophy of Spiritualism, not just one that promotes the 'psychic' and mediumship. Mediumship prompts questions; Spiritualist philosophy can offer opportunities to find one's own answers.

We need a communication tool for today and tomorrow.  It may well be that PN is not that tool.  Consider that and be prepared to accept the concept inherent in our Seventh Principle - progress.  Embrace change rather than fight it - or join the dinosaurs.

Spiritualism is called a 'movement' - an idea that conveys the necessity of going from where we were to where we want to be.

David Hopkins

This Paranormal Review Article is worth reading on this https://web.archive.org/web/20110711191805/http://paranormalreview.com/articles/20110419

deejayhop

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

"I want a paper that reflects my religious philosophy of Spiritualism"

In other words, the person who said that does not want his spiritualist/religious beliefs contradicted or tested in any way by what he might read in a publication like Psychic News. He would be much more comfortable NOT being challenged to develop and move forward, or "progress" which is the very thing he asks us to do.

No one on this list has said that PN was perfect as it was and did not need to improve, but it is clear from what we know, that it was not given the resources or support to do that. In my eyes it would not be an improvement to replace PN with a publication that was nothing more than a mouthpiece for a select few's religious beliefs.
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:23 am

Welcome to the forum David, and thank you for sharing your thoughts and for clarifying what in fact occurred in relation to the Philosophy and Ethics Committee. It is good to get the right information out there for people as this will help us all understand better what has happened.

You say you welcome comment and open debate but advise that comments should be "based on knowledge and fact, not supposition, hearsay and prejudice." I would, of course, agree with that advice, though in regard to the demise of Psychic News one might say that discussion, comment and debate is hampered when the SNU has not been open and honest about what it has done or why.

I have no doubt that there were financial difficulties. I do not doubt that the SNU, having purchased Psychic News 15 years ago, might wish to retain it and therefore try to find a way in which it could be incorporated into the main body in part to save on costs, but also to bring the publication under the direct control of the NEC so that it might more fully reflect the religious and philosophical perspective of the SNU.

The problem I see, in ethical and philosophical terms, is that the paper was, I understand, and do correct me if I am wrong, sold to the SNU with an intent that it would remain independant, both in editorial terms, but more fundamentally, in terms of its capability to represent and present the views and news of all the different strands of Spiritualism.

To take away that opportunity by turning the paper into an SNU publication would surely result in a significant loss of voice for the broader Spiritualist community. While my own background is largely SNU, Seven Principles Spiritualism, I have in the 44 years as a committed Spiritualist spoken and demonstrated at many different Spiritualist Churches of various persuasions, and was happy to share my perspective and equally happy to learn of their philosophical approach. Understanding our differences and our similiarities is a positve thing, and a paper that could reflect those differences and similiarities can give rise to healthy discussion and debate and lead hopefully to a greater understanding and tolerance of the various strands that exist within Spiritualism.

While I too want a paper that reflects my religious philosophy of Spiritualism, I do not feel the need to have that at the expense of other approaches to Spiritualism being denied the opportunity to present their religious and philosophical views.

As for not painting all in the SNU with the same brush - I think that on this forum a clear distinction has repeatedly been made. We all acknowledge that there are many good people in the SNU, however, there are some at the top who have not, in my opinion, done the right thing in regards to Psychic News. I do not think my opinion is based on false information. What information I do have would certainly cause many to think as I do.

Of course I do not have all the information. I do not because the executive responsible for what has happened have not been forthcoming with information that might present their side of things - their real motivation, or given any open and frank explanation for the drawn out 'liquidation' of a company, which was apparently insolvant yet was allowed to continue operation.

While I agree with you that an essential premise of the Spiritualist movement is that it should be capable of evolving, I do not agree that Psychic News no longer had a part to play in that move forward. Did it need 're-vamping' in some way - almost certainly. Did it need sufficient funding to do the job it was meant to do - definitely. Did it need a genuine marketing strategy to attract new readers - without doubt. Did we need to see the end of all the dreadful advertisements for psychic phonelines, etc. indeed, we did.

Yet, it would be wrong to say that PN was only promoting psychic and mediumship, as you appear to be suggesting. There were genuine attempts to present philosophical discussions, and to provide accurate historical material to ensure that Spiritualists knew what their movement was, what its past achievements (and disasters) were, and how our philosophical and religious framework came about.

Perhaps I should also acknowledge that I personally found certain views of some AFC tutors concerning matters which were'philosophical' issues for Spiritualism, so contrary to my understanding of Spiritualism, and my research into the history of the movement, that I was shocked and horrified. Despite this, I still supported the publication of those views, for this resulted in healthy discussion and debate. It could assist in clarifying what people believed and what they did not - and that is always a positive outcome to any debate.

My concern was, however, the apparent undermining of the role of the Philosophy and Ethics Committee, if tutors can decide to present as factual, viewpoints that intrinsically change the philosphical foundations of the movement with impunity. If the Philosophy and Ethics committee no longer exists, it might appear that there are members of the hierachy of the SNU that are content to see the tutors views on philosophical matters hold sway - and if that is true I am truly disappointed.

As for your question about whether contributors to this forum are SNU members - I can only speak for myself and must acknowledge that I am not. I no longer reside in the UK, though when I did I regularly worked at some 22 Spiritualist Churches ( most, though not all being SNU churches) on a weekly basis for many years - and as I have already mentioned my preference is, or rather was until recently, for SNU Spiritualism. The handling of the demise of Psychic News has sadly undermined that lifelong viewpoint.

Lis

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:01 am

Hi David,

I believe that Wes and Lis have dealt with much of what has been written so I will focus upon one area.

That is the way in which the NEC have gone about the death of Psychic News and the method by which they are seeking to gain ownership of the key assets the Masthead and Archives.

In a post above Z published the advert from an Insolvency Practioner’s Brochure showing the way to take an ailing Company into Liquidation with the Company Owners retaining ownership of the key assets. I know this is done but always have trouble with the philosophy, morality and ethics of the practice.

What this action allows is a self serving owner to avoid paying both creditors and employees their due whilst re-arising like the Phoenix later.

I am sure we have watched with amazement as many shonky businesses reappear looking exactly the same as the liquidated entity with the same owner.

Personally I find it a flouting of the rules on insolvent trading that any insolvent company is allowed to do this. However, liquidators need payment and it appears they have found an elegant solution to this; their fees are paid by the owners as payment for the assets. In reality, of course it can never be achieved if the owner does not have control of the committee of inspection because often the other creditors would push for an investigation of the insolvent trading and the open auction of the assets to the highest bidder to maximise the return to all creditors.

Taking an action for insolvent trading is an expensive step for a liquidator and they will often decline to do so because it is against the Directors who have often moved their assets out of personal ownership. However, often a Liquidator can extract money from Directors by threatening an action, especially if such an action could harm their reputations.

What I have just written describes what the Spiritualist National Union SNU has just done. I say the SNU because the members cannot distance themselves from the body it so recently elected to govern it. Many fine Spiritualists there always have been in the SNU but it appears only two currently have gone public to condemn this action - Geoff Griffiths and Eric Hatton. These two have been a shining example to others, I just wonder what treatment they are getting for their forthrightness.

The SNU never owned the masthead and archives except as owners of Psychic Press. They are clearly now seeking ownership through this simple ruse. In doing so they are leaving unpaid a huge number of creditors and have walked away from their obligations to the staff leaving them to be paid out by the Government ... a money amount that will go nowhere near recompensing them for the actual entitlement due.

I would like a philosophical explanation of how this is Moral, Ethical and Spiritual behaviour by the NEC, and by extension, as they are the approved representatives of that body, the SNU (I see and hear no general overwhelming protest). This is disgraceful behaviour more in keeping with the murky end of the commercial world.

They clearly traded insolvently and in a very real commercial sense have behaved reprehensively.

Now had they been open and honest, disclosing the financial problems, stating it was their intention to liquidate Psychic Press but obtain its assets in liquidation and made it a solvent liquidation things would be different. If they had paid out all creditors and the employee entitlements in full, we may have complained at the loss of an independent Psychic News but would have acknowledged the NEC had behaved correctly and did have a right to do this.

However, we also have yet another example of their disgraceful behaviour. The JV Trust offered to acquire the business as a going concern, accepting with it responsibility for all the creditors and the full employee entitlements. All those staff who have now been so hurt and all the other creditors paid out in full.

Yet in their greed for the masthead and archives they rejected the one deal that would have protected all. They gave a direct preference to failing to meet their due obligations in an attempt to grab the assets at a knock down price. We all lost so the SNU could win.

Personally I see this as the most damning thing of all. Can you please explain how this act is in keeping with the National Executive of such a peak Spiritualist Organisation.

Claims have been made that they refused the bid to “protect” the JV Trust from dealing wrongly as a Charity. That decision was never the call of the SNU. It was a call for the JV Trust who would I am sure have had significant advice. I have not had a look at this law; however, I am sure there are ways in which the problems could be surmounted. After all in the years that Psychic Press made a profit the SNU were happy to take the surpluses into their funds.

The right thing would have been to pass the baton of ownership on, and in doing so protecting every stakeholder in Psychic Press; the wrong thing is to do what they have done. The SNU had no need of the masthead and archives to commence its own internal newsletter promoting its own brand of Spiritualism and Philosophy. However, I understand that the many previous attempts have failed - why will this new attempt succeed?

In honesty (and sadly), this entire episode has brought the SNU into disrepute with most independent Spiritualists but mainly from the poor morality of the means that were chosen by the NEC to achieve their desired end.

It is an action that was unnecessary, the JV Trust offer should have been grabbed. Personally I hope that sufficient pressure is going onto the Liquidator that it will not fall out in the way the plan intends it to.

In his incoming Speech David Bruton spoke of the openness and honesty, and the trust, he wished to build. This was a very strange way to commence. His first act will define his Presidency and it is a bit of commercial chicanery behind very closed doors.

I had at one time thought of joining the SNU. Given my involvement in these protests, I doubt they would have me, but then, given these events, I would not like to be associated until I saw some real change from within.

I am also saddened that we have all been forced by the actions of the NEC to protest as loudly and long as we have to draw light upon the actions taken.

This forum is about Spiritualism in all its facets and the energy required in this matter precludes the more positive things I would like to deal with. Then again I used to enjoy being a contributor to the old independent Psychic News and found the changes under Susan Farrow had given it significant movement forward.

Like you David, I am very interested in our philosophy, dedicated to improving mediumship and spreading a knowledge of the true history of Spiritualism, no Mr Splifoot’s or 7 Principles given at Cleveland Hall 1871. However, those are topics in other areas of the forum with detailed research.

Thank you, however, for putting the record straight on the Philosophy and Ethics Committee

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:31 pm

This was posted today by Roy Stemman on his paranormalreview.com website, under the heading 'Psychic News goes into liquidation.'

"I have been in touch with Berley, the chartered accountancy company which will appoint a liquidator for Psychic Press (1995) Ltd, about the confusion that has arisen about the dates quoted on letters and on proxy forms, raising the question of the legality of an action that gives false information to creditors. They have not commented on that aspect of my email, but Jim Olawoye, the company's insolvency cashier/administrator, has today emailed me with this response:

"For the avoidance of doubt – the deadline for the return of proxy forms is 12:00 noon on Tuesday 14 September 2010. The statutory deadline for the return of proxy forms is 12:00 pm the day before a Creditors meeting.

"This can be either posted to the address below, or faxed to 020 7636 4115."

Since the meeting takes place on 15 September faxing proxy forms is going to be the only option for many overseas subscribers and creditors. I am not aware what time that meeting will take place."

[/b]

I am missing something here? This guy is a senior person at Berley's but doesn't know what time the meeting will take place? Does he not have a secretary? Or an intercom which he might press to speak to a colleague who has the time info? It's extraordinary. Add to this the previously posted embarrassing date gaffe from Psychic Press's executive director and it's clear that the ongoing farce entitled Carry On Up the SNU is going as well as ever!

Last edited by Dan on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:16 pm

I am not aware what time that meeting will take place."

I am missing something here? This guy is a senior person at Berley's but doesn't know what time the meeting will take place? Does he not have a secretary? Or an intercom which he might press to speak to a colleague who has the time info? It's extraordinary. Add to this the previously posted embarrassing date gaffe from Psychic Press's executive director and it's clear that the ongoing farce entitled Carry On Up the SNU is going as well as ever!

Maybe Roy didn't ask him as he is not attending the meeting.

It's quite easy to ring the them and ask what time the meeting is taking place.

According to a source it appears that very few SNU members have indicated their intention to attend.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next