SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848

3 posters

Go down

Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848 Empty Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:10 am

Catherine Crowe - Nightside of Nature 1848
A Book of Ghosts and Ghost Seers.

A remarkable work from an astonishingly accomplished woman who had previously translated the English Edition Of Seeress of Prevorst.

The book is a compendium of all types of paranormal activity with documented stories and investigations to support it. Potentially this is one of the earliest works cataloguing all the paranormal phenomena as they were then known while treating it in a way which is almost scientific. Whilst serious in approach and nature this book became a Victorian Best Seller and well worth tracking down to peruse (there is a hard to find ecopy which I have down loaded unfortunately minus the illustrations somewhere I have the mammoth pdf version including these).

From this a fascinating case of haunting at Willington Mill near Newcastle

“But, perhaps, one of the most remarkable cases of haunting in modern times, is that of Willington, near Newcastle, in my account of which, however, I find myself anticipated by Mr. Howitt; and as he has had the advantage of visiting the place, which I have not, I shall take the liberty of borrowing his description of it, prefacing the account with the following letter from Mr. Procter, the owner of the house, who, it will be seen, vouches for the general authenticity of the narrative. The letter was written in answer to one from me, requesting some more precise information than I had been able to obtain.

"Josh. Proctor hopes C. Crowe will excuse her note having remained two weeks unanswered, during which time, J. P. has been from home, or particularly engaged.
Feeling averse to add to the publicity the circumstances occurring in his house, at Willington, have already obtained, J. P. would rather not furnish additional particulars; but if C. C. is not in possession of the number of 'Hewitt's Journal,' which contains a variety of details on the subject, he will be glad to forward her one. He would at the same time, assure C. Crowe of the strict accuracy of that portion of W. Howitt's narrative which is extracted from ' Richardson's Table Book.' W. Hewitt's statements derived from his recollection of verbal communications with branches of J. Procter's family, are likewise essentially correct, though, as might be expected in some degree, erroneous circumstantially.

"J. P. takes leave to express his conviction, that the unbelief of the educated classes, in apparitions of the deceased, and kindred phenomena, is not grounded on a fair philosophic examination of the facts which have induced the popular belief of all ages and countries; and that it will be found, by succeeding ages, to have been nothing better than unreasoning and unreasonable prejudice.

“Willington, near Newcastle-on-Tyne,” 7th mo. 22, 1847."

"VISITS TO REMARKABLE PLACES.

BY WILLIAM HOWITT.

THE HAUNTED HOUSE AT WILLINGTON, NEAR NEWCASTLE-ON-TYNE.

"We have of late years settled it as an established fact, that ghosts and haunted houses were the empty creation of ignorant times. We have comfortably persuaded ourselves that such fancies only hovered in the twilight of superstition, and that in these enlightened days they had vanished for ever. How often has it been triumphantly referred to, as a proof that all such things were the offspring of ignorance that nothing of the kind is heard of now ? What shall we say, then, to the following facts ? Here we have ghosts and a haunted house still. We have them in the face of our vaunted noon-day light, in the midst of a busy and a populous neighbourhood, in the neighbourhood of a large and most intelligent town, and in a family neither ignorant, nor in any other respect superstitious. For years have these ghosts and hauntings disturbed the quiet of a highly respectable family, and continue to haunt and disturb, spite of the incredulity of the wise, the investigations of the curious, and the anxious vigilance of the suffering family itself.

"Between the railway running from Newcastle-on-Tyne to North Shields, and the river Tyne, there lie in a hollow some few cottages, a parsonage, and a mill and a miller's house. These constitute the hamlet of "Wellington. Just above these the railway is carried across the valley on lofty arches, and from it you look down on the mill and cottages, lying at a considerable depth below. The mill is a large steam flour mill, like A factory, and the miller's house stands near it, but not adjoining it. None of the cottages which lie between these premises and the railway, either, are in contact with them. The house stands on a sort of little promontory, round which runs the channel of a watercourse, which appears to fill and empty with the tides. On one side of the mill and house, slopes away, upwards, a field, to a considerable distance, where it is terminated by other enclosures; on the other stands a considerable extent of ballast-hill, i.e., one of the numerous hills on the banks of the Tyne, made by the deposit of ballast from the vessels trading thither. At a distance the top of the mill seems about level with the country around it. The place lies about half-way between Newcastle and North Shields.

"This mill is, I believe, the property of, and is worked by, Messrs. Unthank and Procter. Mr. Joseph Procter resides on the spot in the house just by the mill, as already stated. He is a member of the Society of Friends, a gentleman in the very prime of life; and his wife, an intelligent lady, is of a family of Friends in Carlisle. They have several young children. This very respectable and well-informed family, belonging to a sect which of all others is most accustomed to control, to regulate, and to put down even the imagination the last people in the world, as it would appear, in fact, to be affected by any mere imaginary terrors or impressions, have for years been persecuted by the most extraordinary noises and apparitions.

"The house is not an old house, as will appear; it was built about the year 1800. It has no particularly spectral look about it. Seeing it in passing, or within, ignorant of its real character, one should by no means say that it was a place likely to have the reputation of being haunted. Yet looking down from the railway, and seeing it and the mill lying in a deep hole, one might imagine various strange noises likely to be heard in such a place in the night, from vessels on the river, from winds sweeping and howling down the gully in which it stands, from engines in the neighbourhood connected with coal mines, one of which, I could not tell where, was making, at the time I was there, a wild sighing noise, as I stood on the hill above. There is not any passage, however, known of under the house, by which subterraneous noises could be heard, nor are they merely noises that are heard; distinct apparitions are declared to be seen.

In spite of the unwillingness of Mr. Procter that these mysterious circumstances should become quite public, and averse as he is to make known himself these strange visitations, they were of such a nature that they soon became rumoured over the whole neighbourhood. Numbers of people hurried to the place to inquire into the truth of them, and at length a remarkable occurrence brought them into print. What this occurrence was, the pamphlet which appeared, and which was afterwards reprinted in ' The Local Historian's Table-book.,' published by Mr. M. A. Richardson, of Newcastle, and which I here copy, will explain. It will be seen that the writer of this article has the fullest faith in the reality of what he relates, as indeed vast numbers of the best-informed inhabitants of the neighbourhood have.

Part 2 Follows
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848 Empty Re: Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:11 am

"AUTHENTIC ACCOUNT OF A VISIT TO THE HAUNTED
HOUSE AT WILLINGTON.

"Were we to draw an inference from the number of cases of reported visitations from the invisible world that have been made public of late, we might be led to imagine that the days of supernatural agency were about to recommence, and that ghosts and hobgoblins were about to resume their sway over the fears of mankind. Did we, however, indulge such an apprehension, a glance at the current tone of the literature and philosophy of the day, when treating of these subjects, would show a measure of unbelief regarding them as scornful and uncompromising as the veriest atheist or materialist could desire. Notwithstanding the prevalence of this feeling amongst the educated classes, there is a curiosity and interest manifested in every occurrence of this nature, that indicates a lurking faith at bottom, which an affected scepticism fails entirely to conceal. We feel, therefore, that we need not apologise to our readers for introducing the following particulars of a visit to a, house in this immediate neighbourhood, which had become notorious for some years previous, as being ' haunted;' and several of the reputed deeds, or misdeeds, of its supernatural visitant had been published far and wide by rumour's thousand tongues. it as worthy to be chronicled as the doings of its contemporary genii at Windsor, Dublin, Liverpool, Carlisle, and Sunderland, and which have all likewise hitherto failed, after public investigation, to receive a solution consistent with a rejection of spiritual agency.

"We have visited the house in question, which is well known to many of our readers as being near a large steam corn-mill, in full view of Willington viaduct, on the Newcastle and Shields Railway; and it may not be irrelevant to mention that it is quite detached from the mill, or any other premises, and has no cellaring under it. The proprietor of the house, who lives in it, declines to make public the particulars of the disturbance to which he has been subjected, and it must be understood that the account of the visit we are about to lay before our readers is derived from a friend to whom Mr. Drury presented a copy of his correspondence on the subject, with power to make such use of it as he thought proper.
We learned that the house had been reputed, at least one room in it, to have been haunted forty years ago, and had afterwards been undisturbed for a long period, during some years of which quietude the present occupant lived in it unmolested. We are also informed, that about the time that the premises were building, viz., in 1800 or 1801, there were reports of some deed of darkness having been committed by some one employed about them. We should extend this account beyond the limits we have set to ourselves, did we now enter upon a full account of the strange things which have been seen and heard about the place by several of the neighbours, as well as those which are reported to have been seen, heard, and felt by the inmates, whose servants have been changed on that account many times. We proceed, therefore, to give the following letters, which have been passed between individuals of undoubted veracity; leaving the reader to draw his own conclusions on the subject,

"(Copy No. 1.)
"To Mr. Procter, 17th June, 1840.

" SIR, Having heard from indisputable authority, riz., that of my excellent friend, Mr. Davison, of Low Wellington, farmer, that you and your family are disturbed by most unaccountable noises at night, I beg leave to tell you that I have read attentively Wesley's account of such things, but with, I must confess, no great belief; but an account of this report coming from one of your sect, which I admire for candour and simplicity, my curiosity is excited to a high pitch, which I would fain satisfy. My desire is to remain alone in the house all night, with no companion but my own watchdog, in which, as far as courage and fidelity are concerned, I place much more reliance than upon any three young gentlemen I know of. And it is also my hope, that if I have a fair trial, I shall be able to unravel this mystery. Mr. Davison will give you every satisfaction if you take the trouble to inquire of him concerning me.

'I am, Sir,

"Yours most respectfully,

"EDWARD DRUBY.
"At C. C. Embleton's, Surgeon,

"No. 10, Church-street, Sunderland.

(Copy, No. 2.)

"Joseph Procter's respects to Edward Drury, whose note he received a few days ago, expressing a wish to pass a night in his house at Willington. As the family is going from home on the 23rd instant, and one of Unthank and Procter's men will sleep in the house, if E. D. feels inclined to come, on or after the 24th, to spend a night in it, he is at liberty so to do, with or without his faithful dog, which, by the bye, can be of no possible use, except as company. At the same time, J. P. thinks it best to inform him, that particular disturbances are far from frequent at present, being only occasional, and quite uncertain, and therefore the satisfaction of E. D.'s curiosity must be considered as problematical. The best chance will be afforded by his sitting up alone in the third story till it be fairly daylight, say two or three A.M.

" Willington, 6th mo. 21st, 1840.

" J. P. will leave word with T. Maun, foreman, to admit E. D.

" Mr. Procter left home with his family on the 23rd June, and got an old servant, who was then out of place in consequence of ill-health, to take charge of the house during their absence. Mr. P. returned alone, on account of business, on the 3rd of July, on the evening of which day Mr. Drury and his companion also unexpectedly arrived. After the house had been locked up, every corner of it was minutely examined. The room out of which the apparition issued is too shallow to contain any person. Mr. Drury and his friend had lights by them, and were satisfied that there was no one in the house besides Mr. P., the servant, and themselves.

"(Copy, No. 3.)

"Monday Morning, July 6, 1840.
"To Mr. Procter,

"DEAR SIR, I am sorry I was not at home to receive you yesterday, when you kindly called to inquire for me. I am happy to state that I am really surprised that I have been so little affected as I am, after that horrid and most awful affair. The only bad effect that I feel is a heavy dullness in one of my ears the right one. I call it a heavy dullness, because I not only do not hear distinctly, but feel in it a constant noise. This I never was affected with before; but I doubt not it will go off. I am persuaded that no one went to your house at any time more disbelieving in respect to seeing anything peculiar; now no one can be more satisfied than myself. I will, in the course of a few days, send you a full detail of all I saw and heard. Mr. Spence and two other gentlemen came down to my house in the afternoon, to hear my detail; but, sir, could I account for these noises from natural causes, yet, so firmly am I persuaded of the horrid apparition, that I would affirm that what I saw with my eyes was a punishment to me for my scoffing and unbelief; that I am assured that, as far as the horror is concerned, they are happy that believe and have not seen. Let me trouble you, sir, to give me the address of your sister, from Cumberland, who was alarmed, and also of your brother. I would feel a satisfaction in having a line from them; and, above all things, it will be a great cause of joy to me, if you never allow your young family to be in that horrid house again. Hoping you will write a few lines at your leisure,

"I remain, dear Sir,
"Yours very truly,

"EDWARD DRURY.

(COPY, No. 4.)

"Willington, 7th mo. 9, 1840.

Respected Friend, E. Drury,

"Having been at Sunderland, I did not receive thine of the 6th till yesterday morning. I am glad to hear thou art getting well over the effects of thy unlooked-for visitation. I hold in respect thy bold and manly assertion of the truth in the face of that ridicule and ignorant conceit with which that which is called the supernatural, in the present day, is usually assailed.

" I shall be glad to receive thy detail, in which it will be needful to be very particular in showing that thow couldst not be asleep, or attacked by nightmare, or mistake a reflection of the candle, as some sagaciously suppose.

"I remain, respectfully,
"Thy friend,

"JOSH. PROCTER.

"P.S. I have about thirty witnesses to various things which cannot be satisfactorily accounted for on any other principle than that of spiritual agency.

(Copy, No. 5.)

"Sunderland, July 13, 1840.

"DEAR SIR, I hereby, according to promise in my last letter, forward you a true account of what I heard and saw at your house, in which T was led to pass the night from various rumours circulated by most respectable parties, particularly from an account by my esteemed friend Mr. Davison, whose name I mentioned to you in a former letter. Having received your sanction to visit your mysterious dwelling, I went, on the 3rd of July, accompanied by a friend of mine, T. Hudson. This was not according to promise, nor in accordance with my first intent, as I wrote you I would come alone; but I felt gratified at your kindness in not alluding to the liberty I had taken, as it ultimately proved for the best. I must here mention that, not expecting you at home, I had in my pocket a brace of pistols, determining in my mind to let one of them drop before the miller, as if by accident, for fear he should presume to play tricks upon me; but after my interview with you, I felt there was no occasion for weapons and did not load them, after you had allowed us to inspect as minutely as we pleased every portion of the house. I sat down on the third story landing, fully expecting to account for any noises that I might hear, in a philosophical manner. This was about o'clock P.M. About ten minutes to twelve we both heard a noise, as if a number of people were pattering with their bare feet upon the floor; and yet, so singular was the noise, that I could not minutely determine from whence it proceeded. A few minutes afterwards we heard a noise, as if some one was knocking with his knuckles among our feet; this was followed by a hollow cough from the very room from which the apparition proceeded. The only noise after this, was as if a person was rustling against the wall in coming up stairs. At a quarter to one, I told my friend that, feeling a little cold, I would like to go to bed, as we might hear the noise equally well there; he replied, that he would not go to bed till daylight. I took up a note which I
had accidentally dropped, and began to read it, after which I took out my watch to ascertain the time, and found that it wanted ten minutes to one. In taking my eyes from the watch they became riveted upon a closet door, which I distinctly saw open, and saw also the figure of a female attired in grayish garments, with the head inclining downwards, and one hand pressed upon the chest, as if in pain, and the other, viz., the right hand, extended towards the floor, with the index finger pointing downwards. It advanced with an apparently cautious step across the floor towards me; immediately as it approached my friend, who was slumbering, its right hand was extended towards him; I then rushed at it, giving, as Mr. Procter states, a most awful yell ; but, instead of grasping it, I fell upon my friend, and I recollected nothing distinctly for nearly three hours afterwards. I have since learnt that I was carried down stairs in an agony of fear and terror.

"I hereby certify that the above account is strictly true and correct in every respect.

"North Shields. EDWARD DRURY.

Part 3 Follows
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848 Empty Re: Willington Mill From C. Crowe Nightside of Nature 1848

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:11 am

"The following more recent case of an apparition seen in the window of the same house from the outside, by four credible witnesses who had the opportunity of scrutinizing it for more than ten minutes, is given on most unquestionable authority. One of these witnesses is a young lady, a near connexion of the family, who, for obvious reasons, did not sleep in the house ; another, a respectable man, who has been many years employed in, and is foreman of, the manufactory; his daughter, aged about seventeen ; and his wife, who first saw the object, and called out the others to view it. The appearance presented was that of a bareheaded man, in a flowing robe like a surplice, who glided backwards and forwards about three feet from the floor, or level with the bottom of the second story window, seeming to enter the wall on each side, and thus present a side view in passing. It then stood still in the window, and a part of the figure came through both the blind, which was close down, and the window, as its luminous body intercepted the view of the framework of the window. It was semi-transparent, and as bright as a star, diffusing a radiance all around. As it grew more dim, it assumed a blue tinge, and gradually faded away from the head downwards. The foreman passed twice close to the house under the window, and also went to inform the family, but found the house locked up. There was no moonlight, nor a ray of light visible anywhere about, and no person near. Had any magic lantern been used, it could not possibly have escaped detection; and it is obvious nothing of that kind could have been employed on the inside, as in that case the light could only have been thrown upon the blind, and not so as to intercept the view both of the blind and of the window from without. The owner of the house slept in that room, and must have entered it shortly after this figure had disappeared.

"It may well be supposed what a sensation the report of the visit of Mr. Drury, and its result, must have created. It flew far and wide, and when it appeared in print, still wider; and what was not a singular, Mr. Procter received, in consequence, a great number of letters from individuals of different ranks and circumstances, including many of large property, informing him that their residences were, and had been for years, subject to annoyances of precisely a similar character.

"So the ghosts and the hauntings are not gone, after all ! We have turned our backs on them, and, in the pride of our philosophy, have refused to believe in them; but they have persisted in remaining, notwithstanding !

"These singular circumstances being at various times related by parties acquainted with the family at Willington, I was curious, on a tour northward some time ago, to pay this haunted house a visit, and to solicit a night's lodging there. Unfortunately the family was absent, on a visit to Mrs. Procter's relatives in Carlisle, so that my principal purpose was defeated; but I found the foreman and his wife, mentioned in the foregoing narrative, living just by. They spoke of the facts above detailed with the simple earnestness of people who had no doubts whatever on the subject. The noises and apparitions in and about this house seemed just like any other facts connected with it as matters too palpable and positive to be questioned, any more than that the house actually stood, and the mill ground. They mentioned to me the circumstance of the young lady, as above stated, who took up her lodging in their house, because she would no longer encounter the annoyances of the haunted house; and what trouble it had occasioned the family in procuring and retaining servants.

"The wife accompanied me into the house, which I found in charge of a recently-married servant and her husband, during the absence of the family. This young woman, who had, previous to her marriage, lived some time in the house, had never seen anything, and therefore had no fear. I was shown over the house, and especially into the room on the third story, the main haunt of the unwelcome visitors, and where Mr. Drury had received such an alarm. This room, as stated, was, and had been for some time, abandoned as a bed-room, from its bad character, and was occupied as a lumberroom.

"At Carlisle, I again missed Mr. Procter; he had returned to Wellington, so that I lost the opportunity of hearing from him or Mrs. Procter, any account of these singular matters. I saw, however, various members of his wife's family, most intelligent people, of the highest character for sound and practical sense, and they were unanimous in their confirmation of the particulars I had heard, and which are here related.

" One of Mrs. Procter's brothers, a gentleman in middle life, and of a peculiarly sensible, sedate, and candid disposition, a person apparently most unlikely to be imposed on by fictitious alarms or tricks, assured me that he had himself, on a visit there, been disturbed by the strangest noises. That he had resolved, before going, that if any such noises occurred he would speak, and demand of the invisible actor who he was, and why he came thither. But the occasion came, and he found himself unable to fulfil his intention. As he lay in bed one night, he heard a heavy step ascend the stairs towards his room, and some one striking, as it were, with a thick stick on the banisters, as he went along. It came to his door, and he essayed to call, but his voice died in his throat. He then sprang from his bed, and opening the door, found no one there, but low heard the same heavy steps deliberately descending, though perfectly invisibly, the steps before his face, and accompanying the descent with the same loud blows on the banisters.

"My informant now proceeded to the room door of Mr. Procter, who, he found, had also heard the sounds, and who now also arose, and with a light they made a speedy descent below, and a thorough search there, but without discovering anything that could account for the occurrence.

“The two young ladies, who on a visit there, had also been annoyed by this invisible agent, gave me this account of it: The first night, as they were sleeping in the same bed, they felt the bed lifted up beneath them. Of course, they were much alarmed. They feared lest some one had concealed himself there for the purpose of robbery. They gave an alarm, search was made, but nothing was found. On another night their bed was violently shaken, and the curtains suddenly hoisted up all round to the very tester, as if pulled by cords, and as rapidly let down again, several times.* (* It is remarkable that this hoisting of the bed-curtains is similar to an incident recorded in the account of the visitation of Lord Tyrone's ghost to Lady Beresford). Search again produced no evidence of the cause. The next day they had the curtains totally removed from the bed, resolving to sleep without them, as they felt as though evil eyes were lurking behind them. The consequences of this, however, were still more striking and terrific. The following night, as they happened to awake, and the chamber was light enough for it was summer to see everything in it, they both saw a female figure, of a misty substance, and bluish-grey hue, come out of the wall at the bed's head, and through the head-board, in a horizontal position, and lean over them. They saw it most distinctly. They saw it as a female figure come out of, and again pass into, the wall. Their terror became intense, and one of the sisters, from that night, refused to sleep any more in the house, but took refuge in the house of the foreman during her stay; the other shifting her quarters to another part of the house. It was the young lady who slept at the foreman's who saw, as above related, the singular apparition of the luminous figure in the window, along with the foreman and his wife.

"It would be too long to relate all the forms in which this nocturnal disturbance is said by the family to present itself. When a figure appears, it is sometimes that of a man, as aready described, which is often very luminous, and passes through the walls as though they were nothing. This male figure is well known to the neighbours by the name of ' Old Jeffrey P At other times it is the figure of a lady also in gray costume, and as described by Mr. Drury. She is sometimes seen sitting wrapped in a sort of mantle, with her head depressed, and her hands crossed on her lap. The most terrible fact is that she is without eyes.

"To hear such sober and superior people gravely relate to you such things gives you a very odd feeling. They say that the noise made is often like that of a pavier with his rammer thumping on the floor. At other times it is coming down the stairs, making a similar loud sound. At others it coughs, sighs, and groans, like a person in distress; and, again, there is the sound of a number of little feet pattering on the floor of the upper chamber, where the apparition has more particularly exhibited itself, and which, for that reason, is solely used as a lumber-room. Here these little footsteps may be often heard as if careering a child's carriage about, which in bad weather is kept up there. Sometimes, again, it makes the most horrible laughs. Nor does it always confine itself to the night.
On one occasion a young lady, as she assured me herself, opened the door in answer to a knock, the housemaid being absent, and a lady in fawn-coloured silk entered, and proceeded up stairs. As the young lady, of course, supposed it a neighbour come to make a morning call on Mrs. Procter, she followed her up to the drawing-room, where, however, to her astonishment, she did not find her, nor was anything more seen of her.

"Such are a few of the 'questionable shapes’ in which this troublesome guest comes. As may be expected, the terror of it is felt by the neighbouring cottagers, though it seems to confine its malicious disturbance almost solely to the occupants of this one house. There is a well, however, near to which if one ventures after it is dark, because it has been seen near it.

"It is useless to attempt to give any opinion respecting the real causes of these strange sounds and sights. How far they may be real or imaginary, how far they may be explicable by natural causes or not; the only thing which we have here to record is the very singular fact of a most respectable and intelligent family having for many years been continually annoyed by them, as well as their visitors. They express themselves as most anxious to obtain any clue to the true cause, as may be seen by Mr. Procter's ready acquiescence in the experiment of Mr. Drury. So great a trouble is it to them that they have contemplated the necessity of quitting the house altogether, though it would create great inconvenience as regarded business. And it only remains to be added, that we have not heard very recently whether these visitations are still continued, though we have a letter of Mr. Procter s to a friend of ours, dated September, 1844, in which he says, 'Disturbances have for a length of time been only very unfrequent, which is a comfort, as the elder children are getting old enough (about nine or ten years) to be more injuriously affected by anything of the sort.'

"Over these facts let the philosophers ponder, and if any of them be powerful enough to exorcise ' Old Jeffrey,' or the bluish-gray and misty lady, we are sure that Mr. Joseph Procter will hold himself deeply indebted to them. "We have lately heard that Mr. Procter has discovered an old book, which makes it appear that the very same ‘hauntings' took place in an old house, on the very same spot, at least two hundred years ago."

To the above information, furnished by Mr. Howitt, I have to subjoin that the family of Mr. Procter are now quitting the house, which he intends to divide into small tenements for the workpeople. A friend of who lately visited Willington, and who went over the house with Mr. Procter, assures me that the annoyances still continue, though less frequent than formerly. Mr. P. informed her that the female figure sometimes appeared in a shroud, and that it had been seen in that guise by one of the family only a few days before. A wish being expressed by a gentleman visitor of Mr. P. that some natural explanation of these perplexing circumstances might be discovered, the latter declared his entire conviction, founded on an experience of fifteen years, that no such elucidation was possible.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:08 am

What I find interesting is that most of the evidential reports are so old. I read, say, an interestting report only to find at the end it was written in the 19th or early 20thC etc. Whilst in principle reports from 1840, 1923 and 1968 etc are no less valuable than one written in 1995 or 2003 it does rather give the impression of a phenomenon confined to history.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:30 am

An excellent book, Jim. Smile

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:33 am

obiwan wrote:What I find interesting is that most of the evidential reports are so old. I read, say, an interestting report only to find at the end it was written in the 19th or early 20thC etc. Whilst in principle reports from 1840, 1923 and 1968 etc are no less valuable than one written in 1995 or 2003 it does rather give the impression of a phenomenon confined to history.

History is an ongoing process, Paul. One day we will all be part of history. Wink Smile

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

zerdini wrote:
obiwan wrote:What I find interesting is that most of the evidential reports are so old. I read, say, an interestting report only to find at the end it was written in the 19th or early 20thC etc. Whilst in principle reports from 1840, 1923 and 1968 etc are no less valuable than one written in 1995 or 2003 it does rather give the impression of a phenomenon confined to history.

History is an ongoing process, Paul. One day we will all be part of history. Wink Smile
Yes but I thought looking back I might at least see a trace of the wake.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Sadly not.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi Paul,

In some ways we have all benefited by the change from then through our standard of living in amaterial and health way. However, the pressures we live under and the rather ruthless way that Governments, Societal Pressures and Economic systems throw themselves at us mean very few of us have the time to produce all this wonderful material. Additionally when you stopped there was no TV no radio to fill your mind with twaddle but "entertain you"

From the upper middle through the wealthy the educated had time to do this kind of thing and seances were regarded as a form of entertainment as well. After all Faraday's attacks on table tipping were a result of the huge number involved. It was this huge number that got Allan Kardec all his material from around the world.

What a different life to now, personally as a child of those times I believe in the late 60's many of the inequalities had gone, there was still an air of innocence, most people had work but without feeling pushed to work all the time and crucially mindless TV with sensationalism had not provided opium from thinking.

As Z says we are part of history and there are some glowing markers left in those years. It remains up to the few of us dedicated to ensure that we create some more.

Z I really like this book its a good read and stands up well alongside modern books.

Cheers

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 am

I haven't read it recently but it's on my list of books to be read again.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down