SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current standards of mediumship

+7
Admin
bravo321uk
petal34
morrigan
mac
Lis
zerdini
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Current standards of mediumship Empty Current standards of mediumship

Post by Lis Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:37 am

There has been much discussion of late about the falling standards of mediumship. Some have cited the lack of appropriate training opportunities or standards. others suggest that it is because people are no longer patient enough to undertake the serious, strenuous and disciplined training over years rather than weeks in order to adequately develop the skills necessary for quality mediumship. Some suggest that people no longer have the same innate skills needed to develop as those of the past and yet others suggest that all those with really good potential are out there making money from it and have no desire to be of service to the spiritualist movement which is seen as out of date and uninteresting.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Current standards of mediumship Empty Re: Current standards of mediumship

Post by zerdini Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:42 am

Falling standards in mediumship have been remarked upon through the years since I became involved but every now and again a medium appears usually via a home circle's development to offset that statement.

I believe the innate skills are there but, as you so rightly say, they do require patience, dedication and the desire to be of service before they will truly flourish.

Z

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Z,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I must admit in the 43 years of my involvement, there have always been laments about the decline in the standards of mediumship. The difference I find in recent years seems to be the total lack of willingness, on the part of so many that show an interest or some evidence of potential, to spend the necessary time required to develop the potential to a level of real skill.

Many show that they have the innate ability, at least in terms of the psychic faculty, but few choose to work to enhance that innate ability to the level where they could begin to link with the realms of spirit or communicate with those who have passed into spirit from our world yet continue to exist. Most are content to realise the lesser ability of psychic awareness and pick up which allows them to give readings to people about their live, loves, worries and decisions.

Sometimes I find that depressing, yet at other times I begin to wonder whether that level of the faculty is the one most valuable, at least for those who are so often seeking help and advice with lifes difficulties.

Many neither care or need to know that their 'loved ones' (family members etc) have survived death. If they have, they seem to feel it is not of relevance to their lives. What they want is guidance. Now I believe that a medium, as against a psychic, could actually give guidance, by passing on to those people, the wisdom of spirit but all too often, we mediums are advised against doing the psychic level.

I have been involved with a number of 'home circles' over the years and a number of spiritualist church/mission groups. On a personal level I agree that the home circles I attended were the most effective in helping me to develop what skills I have as a medium but I also feel strongly that they did so mostly because I was ready and willing to develop those abilities. Several of the home circles were brilliant, others were quite ineffective in enhancing or facilitating the devlopment of mediumship.

What I have noticed is that those with real gifts in the area of mediumship will develop in whatever environment they happen upon, while those who have the desire but not the innate ability can sit forever without progressing.

L

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Lis

In general I agree with your views.

I feel that not enough emphasis is placed in developing circles on the difference between a medium and a psychic.

"All mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums", is often trotted out by platform mediums but not often fully explained.

Both have an important role to play.

Mediums always connect with the Spirit World to relay information.

A good medium can often illustrate the difference during a demonstration.

For instance they might say, "This is from the Spirit World" and give evidence of survival. They might then say "This is coming from you" and state what they pick up from the sitter's aura or give general guidance in material matters.

Z

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Lis Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:21 am

Hi Z

That is exactly what I do both in groups where I train people and when I am demonstrating. I try to make sure that people understand both psychic abilities and mediumship abilities are valid but that the level of accuracy of information is different and the source is different. I try to teach that it is vital that mediums in training know where the information they perceive is coming from and to declare it honestly when demonstrating or giving readings.

Without a doubt a good medium is also an accomplished psychic but a good psychic is never necessarily a medium.

Lis
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm

The future looks bright for Spiritualism in Australia Very Happy

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:48 pm

Last edited by Gary on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 pm

original in red, my words in green

"All mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums", is often trotted out by platform mediums but not often fully explained.

Both have an important role to play. Mediums always connect with the Spirit World to relay information. A good medium can often illustrate the difference during a demonstration.

For instance they might say, "This is from the Spirit World" and give evidence of survival. They might then say "This is coming from you" and state what they pick up from the sitter's aura or give general guidance in material matters. And the worst mediums move seamlessly from one to the other, knowingly or not, without quality of communication in either! Do I sound a little cynical? Been there, been tricked, been confused, became angry and disillusioned later, learned a lot in the process, know not to do it again, try to warn others of that danger.

Apologies for laziness in not putting together a properly structured response Embarassed

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed May 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Gary wrote:...You know it’s the circle - the home circle - that is the backbone of this work. I only wish people would realise this. We all sat, most of us, for many years in the home circles. It’s only in the home circle that you can find the peace and the harmony and the tranquillity that makes communication a reality. Mediums may be born - invariably they are - but it takes time to develop. You must apply the right atmosphere and condition, and yet I do know of course in my own case at times in the early years, it wasn’t always possible to get the ideal conditions - but never the less we stuck it out and we developed you know! There is such a tendency today for people to take the platform before they are ready - before they’re developed - and so few of them now a days seem to have the patience to sit in a good circle, or even to find perhaps a good circle. It’s a lot difficult than it used to be, but it’s such a tragedy. Over here we are so anxious if we can to do something about this. I only wish there were some organisation like there used to be that would encourage people to sit in circles, to gather together occasionally, to meet and discuss this whole subject intelligently. You know all the great mediums of the past who were so dedicated, sat for years to develop their powers. They didn’t suddenly happen you know, and it’s the guides that develop - no one else can do it. If I hadn’t have had Red Cloud, and if other mediums hadn’t had their particular guide, or helper, to guide them and instruct them and develop them, there would not have been the mediumship that we used to know. Sometimes I wonder what the future holds for Spiritualism? I know there are here and there some good mediums, but there’s so many mediocre ones which does such a lot of harm to the movement...

That was Estelle Roberts speaking in '72 via the mediumship of Leslie Flint

Things don't appear to have improved in the past 3 decades.....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed May 07, 2008 8:30 pm

zerdini wrote:The future looks bright for Spiritualism in Australia Very Happy

I sincerely hope so. Not so here I fear...

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by morrigan Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:40 am

to be honest with you as a Mediums I have become disillusioned by the whole demeanour and atmosphere in the movement.The standards may have been low over the years but at present it is abysmal. I am wondering what happend to the excellent mediums like Gordon Higginson, estelle roberts and eileen Garret. Psychisc are good at giving help in the physical but Mediums are or should be conduits for Spirits. Even I have realised that most of the congreagations are interested in the Lottery numbersm etc!! This is not the fault of the demonstrator but the chairpeople who do seem to know how to explain about Spirit communication. Many people have infiltrated many churches and thus expoundi their own ides of Spirit communication

morrigan

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Interesting post. I do agree with what is spoken in this topic.
I have attended quite a few spirit churches in different areas of the UK.
I have found untrained mediums giving messages full of a load of codswallop. (Filling in for the medium who never turned up)

But then again,I have come across some ordinary person,who has innocently told me I have 'so and so' standing behind me,description given of them to perfection.
To be honest,I do prefer someone who can give information to me straight from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak.
Petal
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:14 am

I think there are many reasons why the standard of mediumship is not what it should be, But i think that there are points that really stick out to me.
1stly i think there are far 2 many services on a weekly basis across far too many churches or centers. there are simply not enough Quality mediums to go round.. and puts churches between a rock and a hard place.. have some1 sub standard or not at all..the knock on effect from this.. in turn the sub standard medium gets the wrong message.. and doesnt feel that they need to develop any more as they are getting lots of bookings so must be good.
I dont understand why a medium would ever want to stop developing but they do.
I also dont believe that congregations know the difference between psychic and mediums either... so they except what they have...obviously there are a few old school people that understand the difference but on the whole they do not... and have to sit there and except " i have a grandmotherly sort of lady and what she is saying is you you you... which imo is a psychic masking..

rightly or wrongly before i demonstrate I always take a few minutes to explain my mediumship and how its works as i believe that gently educating the congregation is important.
then there are there circles that are available... I have visited a few of these and they are always message message message.... which as we know is often psychic... there seems to be very little push by the circles on evidence.. and again there are a whole host of reasons for that.

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm

You have a good point there,Bravo.
Too many services in one month.
One per month would be enough.
Also to give the mediums a rest.

There is a great deal of difference between Pyschic and mediumnistic messages.
I learned this long ago,though when I first started receiving info from spirit.
Given descriptions of people,their nature,how they looked and their disposition.
I was given one recently,a description of a RAF gentleman. Certainly no one I knew.
Who to pass it onto?
i held that for weeks then happened to mention casually to a friend and Bang! He took it.
But imagine,standing there in front of all these people,messages coming through and faces looking up at you,and wondering which face the message goes to.
Not for me,I'm afraid.
Joan
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Some very good points Bravo, we talk about mediumship before the demonstartion normally and I tend to even in a private reading.

Your other one, its time churches bit the bullet, if a decent medium is not available do something different. Run a circle for instance great chance to introdduce people to different things. Plan it in advance of course, Circle film talk discussion whatever

Good points to put up though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 am

Personally I think a medium should be able to do at least the every basics/
Discription plus personailty plus passing plus evidence and then message.
I know Mediums work in different ways,, But in my mind I would rather see a fledgling doing the basics above than see a errrrr time served medium doing none of the above..
And yes your right about the church or Centre being willing to do other things, and to be honest that church or centre would be able to build a more stable and knowledgeable congregation, And help mould the spiritualists of the future

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcrow Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm

The trouble today is people watch telivision see the mediums on there and expect a message themselves when they attend a medium doing the same thing in their areas.what they dont realise is the television shows are edited and only show the hits.
there are no spiritulist churches where i live, but the town has got a so called one there, i say so called because i know of people who have been there got no mediumistic abilities at all, to be told you should be doing readings medium as well as psychic. its a farce.
i was born with my abilities and developed as i got older in a Healing sanctuary.but telivision has made medium reading popular, but as i said they dont realise the shows are edited.

Namaste

Blackcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by morriganish Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 am

The standards of what passes. for mediumship on platforms is abysmal, they start by giving a name. Someone takes it and then an avalanche of. questions includes letting the recipient give their life history. The so,- called info is in dibs and crabs not following as it should. Then ther those who think they are entertainers,making quips and jokes in between. the psychic info also if nothing is taken it is spirit,s fault, which is ridiculous because Spirit organises the way the Service Will go so it seems that Spirit. Is left wanting when we only have psychics working. There is a differences in genuine Mediumship.

morriganish

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 am

morriganish wrote:The standards of what passes. for mediumship on platforms is abysmal, they start  by giving  a name. Someone takes it and then an avalanche of. questions  includes letting the recipient  give their  life history. The so,- called info  is in dibs and crabs not following as it should. Then ther those who think they are entertainers,making quips and jokes in between. the psychic info also if  nothing  is taken it is spirit,s fault, which is ridiculous because Spirit organises the way the Service  Will go   so it seems that Spirit. Is left wanting when  we only have psychics working. There is a  differences in  genuine   Mediumship.

Perhaps part of the problem is that many of the general public don't know what the range of mediumship is and find it difficult to assess evidence objectively.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 am

Indeed Obi, I believe many people watch mediumship, maybe even accept the continuity of life beyond what is wrongly called death but have no idea what Spiritualism is let alone the differences in mediumship vs psychic, trance mediumship (oh that's contacting archangels and ascended masters isn't it grr) or physical mediumship.

Standards of mediumship go beyond what an individuals actual ability is but to an understanding of what they are doing. So called natural mediums or borne mediums can cause chaos unless they spend time refining their talents and waiting for the right stage of development to start their work. Sadly the determination to get new mediums to platform quickly precludes this slow developmental process.

In the end Spiritualist Centres have to stand up to ensure the correct level of mental mediumship is presented and explain to their mediums what is expected. I remember when I met Lis she was working on platform around 28 churches across East London, Manor Park, Romford, Woodford etc. After each one there would be a call re affirming the next appointment and commenting on aspects of the talk and mediumship good or bad. Some mediums got calls telling them to improve or lose their spot because there were, then, a queue of mediums to get onto the circuit.

I doubt many of us would have the courage to do that because we would probably have no mediums left the way people tend to react in this day and age. Luckily the few we have are all very dedicated and trying to find any way to step up. I admire them because in OZ there is little in the way of circles to help mediums actually working.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:17 am

Admin wrote:Indeed Obi, I believe many people watch mediumship, maybe even accept the continuity of life
I doubt many of us would have the courage to do that because we would probably have no mediums left the way people tend to react in this day and age. Luckily the few we have are all very dedicated and trying to find any way to step up. I admire them because in OZ there is little in the way of circles to help mediums actually working.

It's much the same here in the USA.  Bizarrely so, I often feel, because this nation is arguably where Modern Spiritualism was born a century and a half ago.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by morriganish Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am

You can talk to the cows come home, but the Mediumship standards are never going to change until we get those who are obviously psychic off the church platforms,sitting listening to someone transiting on about broken washing machines and untidy cupboards etcetera people believe that they are listening to Mediumship but some after time realise they are listening to complete rubbish Though they know they are too afraid to speak. in some churches because they could barred from the churches. It is good to have an intellectual discussion about mediumship standards but it is 11th hour and we need to speak up in churches if there is obviously psychics. Many churches are run by ppl who do not have Spiritualism at the heart but only care for finance. There is a low thick atmosphere when psychics is rife because the Spiritual energy has dissipated long before and any genuine mediums Will have job to carry on a service in that kind of atmosphere, believe me I know I have taken a service and it was like "walking" through treacle the atmosphere was so bad when the filled up. The atmosphere was. fine when church empty but completely. Reversed when full I could only surmise the ppl who came wanted certain things to happen and thoughts are living things and so the building up of a dull psychic energy in the church. has been cultivated

morriganish

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm

It's sadly the fact that talking about problems in the Spiritualist movement - including the perennial one of poor standards of mediumship - is a necessary precursor to any potential change.  Maybe then those who visit our churches and centres need to approach their organising committees to explain what's wrong and what needs to happen - no small task and not for anyone of faint heart!  

My small contribution is via online discussion forums and if they are any indication of the general interest in Spiritualism then it's a depressing situation.  Even the discussion forums on the 'Psychic News' website have few contributors.  On other websites there are few active Spiritualists and often I am a lone voice.

What I'm constantly aware of is that mediumship equates to psychism and NDEs and OBEs have way more attraction than communication via evidential mediumship or the philosophy of survival and continuous life.  

If this is what folk think is Spiritualism it's probably understandable that psychics rather than mediums are found on the church platforms and elsewhere?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:03 pm

I've often wondered whether the 'quality level' of the mediumship that we get is tied to the general level of our own expression of spirituality.
For example, during times of crises our thoughts are raised to non-material matters.
So, like so much in life, does this solution lie with ourselves?
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 pm

I have been thinking about this.. and many may not like what I have to say but it is just my opinion.
The Problem with the standard on the platform comes from the Idea that "everyone is a Medium"
you hear it in circles and churches all the time,, anyone can develop ect
and through this notion a Rod has been Created..
I do believe that most people can have an "awareness of the spirit people" but that is not Mediumship it is awareness,, Mediumship begins in my opinion when there is communication with the other Mind.. and imo not every1 can do that.
And that is when some Tutors come up short and actually teach the students to give the "psychic" message.
Then you have a group of people Giving what they believe is Mediumship and it is not..
and Imo until that area is Tackled then the standard will not rise on the platform.
Evidence and Evidential messages will continue to be weak and Philosophy with continue to not be influenced by the wonderful minds of the spirit people.
And hi everyone.. I do check the boards regular but have not signed in for a while Smile

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next