SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging

3 posters

Go down

It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging Empty It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging

Post by Left Behind Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:30 am

Or more correctly, Psychic News is going to absorb Two Worlds, effective with the July issue.

I received my airmailed copy of TW today. Tony Ortzen announced that he's taking over editorship of PN from Roy Stemman, who is retiring. I just hope that some of my favorite TW features and writers will continue in the new, combined publication.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging Empty Re: It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging

Post by mac Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Two Worlds has done well to survive as long as it has. It's to be hoped that PN is able to keep going into the future and it would be nice to see it returning to a primary focus of Modern Spiritualism. I might then be tempted to start reading it again.....

mac

Back to top Go down

It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging Empty Re: It looks as though Two Worlds and Psychic News are merging

Post by Left Behind Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 pm

[quote="mac"]Two Worlds has done well to survive as long as it has.  It's to be hoped that PN is able to keep going into the future and it would be nice to see it returning to a primary focus of Modern Spiritualism.  I might then be tempted to start reading it again.....[/quote

I know what you mean, Mac. TW has also, but PN more so, gotten too New Agey for my tastes. I enjoy a good tale about ghosts: but otherwise I'd like to see ostensibly Spiritualist publications stick with stories about mediumship and contact with the spirit world. I'm not interested in reading about crystals, dowsing, smudging, or Eastern gurus.

I used to subscribe to the both of them. I dropped PN but kept TW. What I'll do after July. . . I'm not sure yet. Neutral

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:59 pm

New Age is just how I now feel about P.N.  It's the 'MBS' - Mind Body Spirit - slogan on the front cover reflecting what's inside the publication that I don't like.....   Mind you, if there's nothing much happening in the Spiritualism scene then what can the staff put in the magazine anyway?  

When I first started taking PN 34 years ago it was a small, weekly newspaper and to the best of my recall was predominantly about Spiritualism.  I eagerly awaited its delivery - we had paper lads in them, thar days - and I would read everything inside and often re-read the articles.  But now it's altogether different from what I used to like and for me that's a sadness.  There again I, too, am altogether different from how I used to be so maybe it's my changed tastes that are also a problem?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:15 pm

mac wrote:New Age is just how I now feel about P.N.  It's the 'MBS' - Mind Body Spirit - slogan on the front cover reflecting what's inside the publication that I don't like.....   Mind you, if there's nothing much happening in the Spiritualism scene then what can the staff put in the magazine anyway?  

When I first started taking PN 34 years ago it was a small, weekly newspaper and to the best of my recall was predominantly about Spiritualism.  I eagerly awaited its delivery - we had paper lads in them, thar days - and I would read everything inside and often re-read the articles.  But now it's altogether different from what I used to like and for me that's a sadness.  There again I, too, am altogether different from how I used to be so maybe it's my changed tastes that are also a problem?

We're products of an earlier, different era, Mac.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:47 pm

dinosaurs....? Very Happy Laughing Wink

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 pm

mac wrote:dinosaurs....? Very Happy Laughing Wink

Yes. But we'll be better prepared for the next world. Most other people will pass on, still tethered to this one. Wink

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Left Behind wrote:

Yes. But we'll be better prepared for the next world. Most other people will pass on, still tethered to this one. Wink

That's true enough but we likely knew all this stuff before we came here anyway. Wink Maybe it's only our bodies with their constraints that make us appear ignorant anyway?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:09 am

Sadly Mac I wonder what I put all the effort into in the fight to save PN. However, the immorality of what the SNU did was cause enough. It returned in a much worse state; especially after Sue Farrow became committed to our friend David Thompson.

Hey ho they probably needed to reach a new audience and I hope it has succeeded. I believe Tony nearly became the replacement for Sue. In many ways I am glad he did not because I never saw him as the type who would have pursued such a strong policy as the Truth in Physical Mediumship Campaign.

I let my subscription for Two Worlds die, they had too few contributors and it was a bit repetitive. I had also written to Roy about contributing to PN again although I knew it had to be a different style of article.

Not sure where it will go now; at least Tony, who is a nice guy, has extra staff to help him, a wider pool of contributors and I susp[ect more funding. Like you I hope he takes it back towards Spiritualism. It has too many articles reflecting current "trends" at times. I know George used to be chairman of Two Worlds and could get Colin Fry to do fund raisers to help out when cash was tight but I suspect their funding was not what they needed in recent months.

Hmm with Roy gone am I the only one to expect a few of our "Physical mediums" to start to put their heads above the parapet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 am

Admin wrote:Sadly Mac I wonder what I put all the effort into in the fight to save PN. However, the immorality of what the SNU did was cause enough. It returned in a much worse state; especially after Sue Farrow became committed to our friend David Thompson.

I remember that crazy time even though I viewed events only as an interested individual who was horrified at what was happening.  The characters involved you know better than I but I understand what you're saying.

Hey ho they probably needed to reach a new audience and I hope it has succeeded. I believe Tony nearly became the replacement for Sue. In many ways I am glad he did not because I never saw him as the type who would have pursued such a strong policy as the Truth in Physical Mediumship Campaign.

Commercial aspects must have been a primary motivator for the difference of thrust.  Folk here will know my view of Modern Spiritualism and others perhaps feel similarly.

I let my subscription for Two Worlds die, they had too few contributors and it was a bit repetitive. I had also written to Roy about contributing to PN again although I knew it had to be a different style of article.

It's the nature of life that most things run their course.  'Two Worlds' gave me a feel for the history of our movement, something I know you and Lis are deeply involved with.  But after a time I had less need for that or indeed for what the Spiritualist movement had become. Perhaps I would have had no need for either of those two publications whatever happened.  As a contributor to PN you probably found difficulty choosing subjects appropriate to folk's different interest in psychic matters.

Not sure where it will go now; at least Tony, who is a nice guy, has extra staff to help him, a wider pool of contributors and I susp[ect more funding. Like you I hope he takes it back towards Spiritualism. It has too many articles reflecting current "trends" at times. I know George used to be chairman of Two Worlds and could get Colin Fry to do fund raisers to help out when cash was tight but I suspect their funding was not what they needed in recent months.

Time will tell but I'm not optimistic but I'd like to find I'm wrong.

Hmm with Roy gone am I the only one to expect a few of our "Physical mediums" to start to put their heads above the parapet!

They're making money anyway - will they care?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 pm

mac wrote:
Left Behind wrote:

That's true enough but we likely knew all this stuff before we came here anyway. Wink   Maybe it's only our bodies with their constraints that make us appear ignorant anyway?

Sounds like the makings of a spin-off Thread here. . . Wink

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:01 pm

I'm trying to be guardedly optimistic about PN's future.

I don't think that Tony is going to be a sucker or a pushover for fraudulent physical mediums: he's said in the pages of TW that he's so wary about the state of contemporary physical mediumship that he won't even publish articles about them.

Roy did what he had to do to expand the readership. I'd like to see Tony bring PN back to its Spiritualist roots, but I'd like to seem him do so gradually, not immediately, and to do so largely, not entirely. I don't think that they can survive on a readership consisting entirely of traditional Spiritualists.

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Are there even enough Spiritualist events on which to report? As for contemporary physical mediumship (so-called) well again are there enough genuine events on which to report? The phenomenalism can whistle as far as I'm concerned, leave phenomenalists to their own devices. Do I sound cynical? Razz

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:21 am

Comtemporary Spiritualism Mac. Like you I think there is little to report upon. Rev Marilyn Awtry of the NSAC has been a long time friend via the interent and the early Yahoo Groups. It was through her we were able to get the excellent Rev Anne Gehman and her husband Wayne Noll (a brilliant speaker) to Adelaide in 2006/2007. I asked her recently how many NSAC mediums she could reccomend to be told about 4.

We seem to be going in circles with the only remaining strong organisation teh SNU not really changing in any meaningful way looking more and more churchy with a Ministerial Team at a time when people are less and less interested in churches.

In the drive to train mediums we ignore their viatl role as speakers to underpin the messages with philosophy. Yes people who go for the CSNU have to submit papers on history but I discovered recently that those who are teaching them seem unaware that the 7 Principles were not handed down in the presence of Dale Owen and were not presented at Cleveland Hall. Equally that dreaded Mr Splitfoot is present at times. This despite all of Paul Gaunt, the SNU's historians work.

It is easy to blame the lack of interest in philosophy and history on the current generations having no interest in any thing other than psychism (many prefer their fortunes told in readings off platform rather than proof of survival...especially if they only see poor mediums and odd talks). I doubt ther are many places where you could go and feel inspired by attending every week unless they do a nice line in happy clappy style.

Hmm how often would I attend if I was not the leader or a committee member; and we have tried to keep it interesting.

I don't envy the tak Tony has now and wish him luck in keeping the balamce right.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:08 am

mac wrote:Are there even enough Spiritualist events on which to report?  As for contemporary physical mediumship (so-called) well again are there enough genuine events on which to report?  The phenomenalism can whistle as far as I'm concerned, leave phenomenalists to their own devices.  Do I sound cynical?   Razz    

Hey, PN's getting a lot of mileage out of Gary Mannion, aren't they? Laughing

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:23 am

Left Behind wrote:
mac wrote:
Left Behind wrote:

That's true enough but we likely knew all this stuff before we came here anyway. Wink   Maybe it's only our bodies with their constraints that make us appear ignorant anyway?

Sounds like the makings of a spin-off Thread here. . . Wink

Maybe but how many are around here to make a meaningful discussion/debate on that subject? I've tried elsewhere - with a larger congregation - to introduce a similar discussion but with few responses.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 am

Left Behind wrote:
mac wrote:Are there even enough Spiritualist events on which to report?  As for contemporary physical mediumship (so-called) well again are there enough genuine events on which to report?  The phenomenalism can whistle as far as I'm concerned, leave phenomenalists to their own devices.  Do I sound cynical?   Razz    

Hey, PN's getting a lot of mileage out of Gary Mannion, aren't they? Laughing

They are not really touching Mannion now though Unfortunately Physical Mediumship has almost always had its own support network, fraudulaent or not (and I believe genuine materialisation may actually, historically be almost as rare as hens teeth; too often even when there may be supportive evidence the person is also tainted by an incident which it is impossible to paper over) . It is a symptom not a cure for Spiritualism.

At one stage some of the things that came out and the quality of mediumship could be inspiring now all to often its another ins word...insipid.

Ther are moments in the work we are doing here which do get inspiring in honesty last years Christmas Tree Seance was one for a variety of reasons.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 am

Such a shame that the most readily recognised names are those of individuals known for their questionable behaviour.

I wonder what modern-day adherents of Spiritualism think about the issues we discuss on this website? I also wonder if any of them are online anywhere to ask?

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down