SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist?

3 posters

Go down

What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist? Empty What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist?

Post by Left Behind Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Mac suggested that this would be an interesting discussion topic, and I concur, so here goes.

Our first starting point is that we are using the term Modern Spiritualist to define Spiritualism as we conventionally think of it: fairly widespread contact with the world of discarnate spirit, usually through gifted individuals called mediums. The phenomenon we all know and love, that broke onto the world scene with the Fox Sisters in 1848, as opposed to the prophets and oracles of times past.

So the real point for discussion, then, is the aspect of being a traditional Spiritualist.

To me, this would include those positive elements of Spiritualism that characterized it during its strongest era: let's say, from 1848 through the 1930's. I say 'positive' elements to winnow out such things as fraud, showmanship, ego tripping, and abuse of the phenomena for shock purposes and mindless amusement.

These would include:

1) production of both mental and physical phenomena.

2) primary reliance on gifted mediums, as opposed to ordinary individuals relying on intuition.

3) the use of home and church circles for development rather than entertainment purposes.

4) the use of the phenomena for counseling the bereaved, providing evidence of the continuity of life, and learning about life in the spirit world: not confusing it with prognostication, providing advice about personal and financial matters, etc.

5) a predominant non-belief in reincarnation.

6) a general consensus that Spiritualism was a system unto itself, as opposed to being just an aspect of a general psychic, esoteric grab-bag of beliefs such as we see today.

Your thoughts?  Smile

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist? Empty Re: What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist?

Post by mac Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:50 am

I can't define what it is for anyone else but for me - and I AM a traditional Modern Spiritualist - it's the following.  

Acceptance/understanding that life continues beyond corporeal death and the possibility of communication through mediumship with those who have passed over.  That's the exact definition of this particular Spiritualist.

Beyond those fundamentals I am strongly persuaded about a number of closely related issues but that persuasion came later and by that time I already considered myself a Spiritualist.

mac

Back to top Go down

What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist? Empty Re: What exactly is a traditional (Modern) Spiritualist?

Post by hiorta Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:56 am

Acceptance/understanding that life continues beyond corporeal death and the possibility of communication through mediumship with those who have passed over.  That's the exact definition of this particular Spiritualist......mac

An accurate and concise definition.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm

hiorta wrote:

Acceptance/understanding that life continues beyond corporeal death and the possibility of communication through mediumship with those who have passed over.  That's the exact definition of this particular Spiritualist......mac

An accurate and concise definition.

Well it's certainly accurate as it's my description of my personal approach.....  Wink Laughing

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down