Your opinion

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mandy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi Duncan

I think that sounds great. Too advanced lol...never. I am coming on now and I feel that meditation is helping me to progress but I have a long long way to go yet. I had a lovely day yesterday. I did a practice read, tarot lol and then I put them away and did a spirit read for my mum and my sister. I know that people say that they don't get much from reading for family but I learned alot yesterday. My family shown me things and gave me things and the symbols were flooding in but I do sometimes struggle to interprete what they mean. I noticed yesterday that my nan was showing me a pearl necklace and it clicked that pearls are for tears and she was telling me that she was aware that my sister had shed tears.

They gave me things that I already knew about but I feel that they were helping me to understand how they get things over to me to help me with future reads. It was a good teaching lesson. My mum also helped me too because some of the things that they were giving me I couldn't interprete and my mum made it clear to me what I was being shown so in short I feel for the newbies out there it can be good to read for family because in my experience your family members will help you every way they can with your development.

I think the more practice we get the better.

Love and Light

Mandy xx

mandy


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Rev Deb on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Wow!

I am new to this list and can't believe how negative you people are. I understand how many people confuse the various new and old age topics, but for you people to be so negative avout those topics, is unbelievable.

Seems even astrology was joked at for a moments there. Yet, I've got to inform you that astrology is the oldest science on this planet. A serious study of which many of you should indeed learn. It could help make you people more tolerant of others misunderstandings of the new VS old age topics.

Getting off my soap box... bounce

Rev Deb


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mac on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Rev Deb wrote:Wow!

I am new to this list and can't believe how negative you people are. I understand how many people confuse the various new and old age topics, but for you people to be so negative avout those topics, is unbelievable.

Seems even astrology was joked at for a moments there. Yet, I've got to inform you that astrology is the oldest science on this planet. A serious study of which many of you should indeed learn. It could help make you people more tolerant of others misunderstandings of the new VS old age topics.

Getting off my soap box... bounce

Perhaps when you know more about us all you'll understand why we are what you see as 'negative'.

As you might have seen from the forum header, 'ours' (I feel quite possessive about this Smile ) is "A Forum for Spiritualists and those interested in learning more about the Religion, Philosophy, Science and Truth of the Spiritualist Movement"

You might find that some won't agree with your claim ".... I've got to inform you that astrology is the oldest science on this planet. A serious study of which many of you should indeed learn."

welcome to our boards - enjoy Smile

mac

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by iceblue on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:55 am

Rev Deb wrote:Wow!

I am new to this list and can't believe how negative you people are. I understand how many people confuse the various new and old age topics, but for you people to be so negative avout those topics, is unbelievable.

Seems even astrology was joked at for a moments there. Yet, I've got to inform you that astrology is the oldest science on this planet. A serious study of which many of you should indeed learn. It could help make you people more tolerant of others misunderstandings of the new VS old age topics.

Getting off my soap box... bounce

Astrology is great,But how do i teach a student Mental mediumship using Astrology? Tell me,Tell me do.Are the planets going to provide personal evidence of loved ones passed?Duncan

iceblue


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by obiwan on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:18 am

"you people"? What is that supposed to mean? Who is the remark aimed at?

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mac on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Yet again we have a visitor to the boards who doesn't appear to realise the Spiritualist emphasis - nay total basis - of these discussion pages.

Yet another example, perhaps, of how 'New Age' adherents stumble onto subjects which appear (to them) to be similar to their own interests......

I'm always curious about usernames - wonder what "Rev Deb" means? Reverend Deborah?

I wonder if we'll hear a response to our points or will this be one more individual who posts once or twice and wanders away? I suspect it will be the latter....

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:50 pm

Hi All,

A welcome to Rev Deb a newcomer here, which Association are you a Reverend of, it may help me get my bearing as to the ideas you are encompassing in your own personal views of Spiritualism. Are you a member of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches in America. We have several members from the USA and I have many friends from the NSAC churches as well.

This particular area of the forum is clearly identified as purely about Spiritualism, as Mac said so succinctly and in this thread a member has been expressing a problem that the variety of new age ideas create when running a circle to develop mediumship. I have run groups for over 5 years trying to help people find out about Spiritualism. Like many others who have commented the major problems we face are a lack of understanding of the simplicity and purity of true Spiritualism. We all find that the adaptation of new age ideas "channeling, ascension, indigo children, angels etc" in an undiscerning manner, without review of the material and its sources have caused chaos in our movement.

In acknowledgement of other ideas I have set up other areas of the site outside of Spiritualism. I am also ensuring that actual factual material of the time the ideas appeared and the basis of them are included and am busy researching these.

As you would be well aware Spiritualism is defined as a Belief, a Philosophy, a Science and a truth. The cornerstone is mediumship which is only a truth when it carries genuine evidence of proof of survival.

Spiritualism does have a close interest in psychic work because to be a medium you will be a psychic, I hate repeating the old saying but not all psychics are mediums. Only that which carries proof is a valid confirmation of Spirit contact.

This is as valid in Mental and Physical Mediumship. Trance mediumship gives us a different problem and then it is essential to strengthen the controls to test that the spirits are as claimed and that the material they bring over is genuine.

Spiritualist experience tells us that genuine trance work will never suggest magical solutions, special people or beings.

Mediumship gains its value and worth through this discipline, which is sadly being forgotten in too many places. We hear psychics, giving no proof or evidence for who they have supposedly contacted in spirit saying "they are telling me". Psychic readings have a value, used in the right way they can give help to people provided the person getting the information is not misled that it is from Spirit. To be honest it would be a preference of mine that all psychics undertook counselling training but it is an unlikely and expensive option.

Sadly there are legions of stories about fortune telling readings or readings telling people what to do both with disastrous and hurtful results.

In terms of astrology it is rejected as a science in the same way as parapsychology, compared to mediumship it lacks actually verifiable proof. Indeed it can create auto suggestion in the mind. The best exponents use it as a way to form a link to create a very good psychic reading. The danger is it can strongly influence and control the life of the recipient of the message if not handled properly. I have done some astrology but now have a preference for straight mediumship or at worst a psychic reading where I explain to the recipient the way the information is being received. I continue with dowsing which is a fine example of the universal energy surrounding us while no proof of spirit contact.

I hope that this places it more in context of how we see Spiritualism on the site and the intent of the areas of this forum that are dedicated purely to Spiritualism. If you find our content still to be negative on the Spiritualist movement would you please say so and let us know in what way it is. I also believe it was unfortunate to enter a list referring generally to "you people" as negative inclusive as you were of so many dedicated and positive Spiritualists.

Hopefully this exlanation will help you in your next postings.

Blessings
Jim
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Admin on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi Rev Deb,

I realise in looking at your web site that much of what we are talking about here is probably outside of your personal experience as you have clearly adapted your own version of Spirituality for your personal path. Given the position which we take, which would exclude much that you have encompassed in your ministry (for what we perceive entirely valid reasons as do all the major Spiritualist Organisations), it is not suprising that you found this section difficult.

However I believe that if you look around at the wonderful material being gahered here you may find much that can add to your work. For the interest of all, to understand where these Ministries approach teh spiritual you can see them at http://www.whiteroseministry.org/Home_Page.php

Jim
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by iceblue on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:49 pm

I wonder if we'll hear a response to our points or will this be one more individual who posts once or twice and wanders away? I suspect it will be the latter....[/quote]
You must be psychic Mac. Very Happy ib
ps, i love that rv you have,aaaahhhhh (homer simpson dribble) Laughing

iceblue


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mac on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 pm

iceblue wrote:I wonder if we'll hear a response to our points or will this be one more individual who posts once or twice and wanders away? I suspect it will be the latter....
You must be psychic Mac. Very Happy ib
ps, i love that rv you have,aaaahhhhh (homer simpson dribble) Laughing[/quote]


"You must be psychic Mac. Very Happy ib"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah our trailer is kinda neat. Better equipped than our home in many ways!

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Rev Deb on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Hmmm, seems I've been judged and hung already. Should have known by the negativity that you people show - by "you people" I simply mean those who seem to knock every mode of study out there.

I well know that there is old age and new age in many, many areas of understanding, and that the new age is very "fluffy", but someday, it may well become "old age".

Also, anything posted on any website may not encompass all that is supposed to be broadcast to the world. So, I suggest the use discernment when judging things read on the internet.

In addition, may I suggest either a private group for future bashings of those who don't believe, understand, or practice as this group does... it would make the Spiritualism movement so much more attractive.

Rev Deb


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Rev Deb,

It is discernment which set up this group in this way. You will find we do not knock genuine practicers of other ideas. What we ask people to do is to look at the flaws beneath many of the new age ideas and seek the truth.

In the other threads you will find accurate detailed research in the indigo children, ascension movement et al. We realise that many, like yourself, who enquire or say they are Spiritualists have adopted ideas in a personal spirituality.

However, as the group clearly says we are for Spiritualists and about Spiritualism. This is not old age it is a very simple and modern truth. have a look around the site in depth and with an open mind. However within the Spiritualism areas we will not be adopting so much that people are happy to grab on to these days. No magical answers just spirit living and learning in a physical life time.

Please remain, others comments can be useful and Spiritualism has to be ready to grow. However one stricy basis for the movement is the truth that underlies what is added in. Therefore new ideas must be as provable as we can prove survival.

Jim
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mac on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:36 pm

"Hmmm, seems I've been judged and hung already."

As our dear Frank Carson would say "It's the way I tell 'em" or, to paraphrase, "It's the way you tell 'em" Reverend Deborah....

We 'judge' the words you say - it appears you 'judge' us in much the same way. I, for one, am pleased to see that you've returned. Some contributors do not return or simply choose not to express themselves.

I would have thought that you would expect critical appraisal of whatever you say - we routinely apply this practice to ourselves. As I - and others since you first wrote here - have mentioned, this is a forum for Spiritualism and there are a number of Spiritualists amongst us. Nothing earth-shattering there but we judge what others have to say according to what our own teachers, leaders, guides have taught and demonstrated. Again, nothing earth-shattering.

"In addition, may I suggest either a private group for future bashings of those who don't believe, understand, or practice as this group does... it would make the Spiritualism movement so much more attractive." On the first point I don't accept it is your position to suggest any such thing as we don't "..........bash those who don't believe, understand, or practice as this group does". And we will not - I will not - refrain from commenting simply because you might feel I should.

I have no desire, nor, in my opinion, does Spiritualism need, to be made more attractive to those whose own persuasions are different from ours. You are perfectly able to make your own judgement and your own choice as to whether you find our philosophy attractive. If you don't then that's fine.

I would not dream of becoming a contributor on your website with the expectation that you'd just accept what I had to say without critical questioning.

"Also, anything posted on any website may not encompass all that is supposed to be broadcast to the world." So are you saying that there is something that "........is supposed to be broadcast to the world" ?

Do tell where you learned about that something....

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by obiwan on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Rev Deb wrote:Hmmm, seems I've been judged and hung already. Should have known by the negativity that you people show - by "you people" I simply mean those who seem to knock every mode of study out there.

I well know that there is old age and new age in many, many areas of understanding, and that the new age is very "fluffy", but someday, it may well become "old age".

Also, anything posted on any website may not encompass all that is supposed to be broadcast to the world. So, I suggest the use discernment when judging things read on the internet.

In addition, may I suggest either a private group for future bashings of those who don't believe, understand, or practice as this group does... it would make the Spiritualism movement so much more attractive.
I am not a spiritualist "Rev Deb" and I have to say I have learned a good deal from this place and similar forums. If you participate on online forums you will receive a much sharper response if you irritate people or barge in than on here. I find your comments somewhat patronising to be honest, perhaps I could suggest you choose your words more carefully and display some humility before charging in and getting all huffy. This is a place for discussion. Sometimes the discussion gets a bit heated perhaps if you would like to post something you think is useful and interesting you might provoke a discussion if that's your objective.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi Obi

Well put and thanks.

Jim
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mac on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 pm

I take it the so-called Rev Deb did not return to contribute further to our discussions??? Smile

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by zerdini on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm

mac wrote:I take it the so-called Rev Deb did not return to contribute further to our discussions??? Smile

She is conspicuous by her absence, Mac. Rolling Eyes

Z

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by mac on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Smile

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by julie on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:48 pm

can i ask what may be a strange question but could an atheist be a medium albeit reluctantly?

julie


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by hiorta on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Of course.
avatar
hiorta


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by obiwan on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:36 am

An interesting point Julie. From my own perspective I can see no necessary connection been survival of physical death and the existence of a deity of any kind, though I suppose it depends on one's definition of 'God'. I can see no reason why a person might not be a medium and at the same time have no belief in the existence of a God. If you think there is such a connection I would be interested to hear why you think so.

If our existence really is continuous it seems to me to be simply a matter of fact and no more requires belief in a deity than do the laws of physics - though some would argue that these same laws are suggestive of the existence of a God. My own position on the subject is that I am inclined to think there is no 'personal God' in the religious sense but remain agnostic.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by hiorta on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you, obiwan.
There would seem to be no biblical type god, but a universal energy encompassing Love, Healing and all the higher attributes that we might consider as being Divine and which responds favourably to a sincere request, albeit within the Natural Law.

How little we know, having been mentally shunted into a siding by a pompous theology.
avatar
hiorta


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by julie on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:30 pm

really? but doesn't an aethist question his atheism or link his mediumship with religion?
Those are fascinating answers you see because of the religious questions of the ressurection of jesus (although one can see a ressurection everyyear in spring) I presumed it was a given that mediumship was linked to religion.but I suppose its true atheism does not mean lack of compassion or spirituality I just wondered if atheists had a problem with their mediumship. I much prefer your answers that the universe is full of energy and vitality


Last edited by julie on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : complicated sentence structure)

julie


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by julie on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:41 pm

also in reply to your responses I think you are describing pantheism which means that the wrold is a wondeful self contained structure( I think) and denies God

julie


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by hiorta on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:16 pm

"""but doesn't an aethist question his atheism or link his mediumship with religion""" - Julie

He may well do so at some point, others may not, just like many Christians and others who prefer a 'book' religion.

There appears to be no historical evidence for the Biblical 'Jesus' although many accept the various Bibles as authentic. I personally do not accept the Biblical portrayal of a Jesus - a White European from a Semite background - as true.

It doesn't matter very much what the individual chooses to believe - aren't we all uniquely different, so are very unlikely to feel the same need in such matters and if Spiritualim were to profess some creed, it would be along the lines of 'we must reap as we have sown' or the Natural Law of Cause & Effect in action and makes the beloved wee labels obsolete.
avatar
hiorta


Back to top Go down

Re: Your opinion

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum