SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Chat on the Platform communications topic

+3
petal34
KatyKing
Left Behind
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

General Chat on the Platform communications topic - Page 2 Empty Re: General Chat on the Platform communications topic

Post by KatyKing Mon May 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Will see if I can paste it in tomorrow.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

General Chat on the Platform communications topic - Page 2 Empty Re: General Chat on the Platform communications topic

Post by petal34 Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm

KatyKing wrote:Social aspect of Spiritualism in our neck of the woods revolves around tea and cake, biscuits too sometimes.
The abiding impression newcomers to our meetings comment on time and again is the warmth of welcome.
Spiritualists tend to be cheery souls with room for all sorts and conditions of folk. How could we be different? We belong to the most optimistic movement in the world.
If personal survival isn't good news then what can be?
More recruits join via 'honey' than would ever come for vinegar.
A smile is a frown turned upside down... etc.
There's rather a good report of an 'apparition' in that book referred to above. There's an extract from that to be found via the hyperlink.

Like I said,Pete,spirit love laughter.....
I'll have a slice of chocolater cake now.... bounce
Joan. Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 pm

That's for sure, they do; and we miss a whole lot on this side if we neglect the fun aspects.
Serious doesn't have to mean gloomy.
Upbeat platform mediums do seem to get and to give more, most work faster too so more folk get something.
Nicky Alan at ours recently billed as 'fast and funny', and she was. Smashing night, loads of nods and smiles for cracking evidence.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by petal34 Tue May 22, 2012 1:13 am

KatyKing wrote:Will see if I can paste it in tomorrow.

That would be great,Pete. Very Happy
petal34
petal34

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am

KatyKing wrote:Social aspect of Spiritualism in our neck of the woods revolves around tea and cake, biscuits too sometimes.
The abiding impression newcomers to our meetings comment on time and again is the warmth of welcome.
Spiritualists tend to be cheery souls with room for all sorts and conditions of folk. How could we be different? We belong to the most optimistic movement in the world.
If personal survival isn't good news then what can be?
More recruits join via 'honey' than would ever come for vinegar.
A smile is a frown turned upside down... etc.
There's rather a good report of an 'apparition' in that book referred to above. There's an extract from that to be found via the hyperlink.
I can't think of a religion that doesn't preach personal survival in one form or another.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Tue May 22, 2012 10:12 am

obiwan wrote:I can't think of a religion that doesn't preach personal survival in one form or another.
Atheism

"Atheism will be defined in the contemporary western sense: not just the lack of belief in a god, but the assertion about the non-existence of any gods, spirits, or divine or supernatural beings. Atheists in this sense are metaphysical naturalists, and as will be shown, they DO follow a religion."
From - http://creation.com/atheism-a-religion
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 am

_Leslie_ wrote:
obiwan wrote:I can't think of a religion that doesn't preach personal survival in one form or another.
Atheism

"Atheism will be defined in the contemporary western sense: not just the lack of belief in a god, but the assertion about the non-existence of any gods, spirits, or divine or supernatural beings. Atheists in this sense are metaphysical naturalists, and as will be shown, they DO follow a religion."

I don't see Atheism as a religion (nor agnosticism either), I would think it is more of a philosophical position. I can see some Atheists are dogmatic but that doesn't make Atheism a religion. If it is - does that mean not playing football is a sport? Smile

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 am

obiwan wrote:
_Leslie_ wrote:
Atheism

I don't see Atheism as a religion (nor agnosticism either), I would think it is more of a philosophical position. I can see some Atheists are dogmatic but that doesn't make Atheism a religion. If it is - does that mean not playing football is a sport? Smile

Atheism and Agnosticism are very different creatures.
I'm sure that many will agree with you, as I'm also sure - many won't. (did you read the link to the full article I quoted from - before replying?)
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 am

"I can't think of a religion that doesn't preach personal survival in one form or another".

Quite right obi, you can't; well done you for sharing.
It's an honest man that recognises his limitations.
scratch
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 pm

KatyKing wrote:

"I can't think of a religion that doesn't preach personal survival in one form or another".

scratch
Why do you behave like this? Do you really think your behaviour reflects well on your religion? I don't.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by obiwan Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 pm

_Leslie_ wrote:
obiwan wrote:
_Leslie_ wrote:
Atheism

Atheism and Agnosticism are very different creatures.
I'm sure that many will agree with you, as I'm also sure - many won't. (did you read the link to the full article I quoted from - before replying?)
Yes I did Leslie - why be so impolite? The article is simply opinion. It is not a new argument and has been deployed many time against skeptics. I'd much rather hear your own opinion tbh.

obiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Tue May 22, 2012 12:43 pm

obiwan wrote:
Yes I did Leslie - why be so impolite? The article is simply opinion. It is not a new argument and has been deployed many time against skeptics. I'd much rather hear your own opinion tbh.

I commented, you replied, I responded - isn't that how discussions work? In the process of which, I didn't realise I was being impolite (it certainly wasn't intended to be) - I simply asked a question, posed in a similar vein to the many you ask here (which of course - you wouldn't see as impolite... would you...).

_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Tue May 22, 2012 2:36 pm

A religion that rejects the notion of survival of bodily death seems like an oxymoron. Still, isn't that what the Plymouth Brethren teach?

I don't agree that posts about tea and cake in the afterlife have nothing to do with the afterlife. Don't we want to be happy there? WILL we be able to eat and drink there?

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Tue May 22, 2012 10:12 pm

KatyKing wrote:

scratch

I was agreeing with you obi. No offence intended. A recognised unknown can be addressed so should you be interested in doing so you could investigate, to discover; those faith communities that don't hold to a concept of survival. Knowledge won is knowledge kept.
Spiritualism encourages reflective enquiry. Despite the self appointed posturings of a few sad individuals we've never been a home for gurus. The minute anyone tells you.. 'NO you are wrong.. Spiritualism is my this NOT your that'
that's fundamentalism not Spiritualism. Happy hunting old chum. A day without learning is a day wasted.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2