Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by equal-spirit on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:27 am

I live in Canada, and thirty five years ago having spiritualist mediums from England come to one of our churches was an exciting event because we would get to see how mediums who were well trained operated. Over the years, the quality of the mediumship declined, and eventually the mediums that came to us were no better trained than our local mediums. Even worse, I watched our local mediums go from practicing Spiritualism to practicing and promoting the New Age Philosophy of going ahead and contacting spirits without knowledge, without understanding the positive or negative manifestations of the Spiritual Laws/Energies (or even knowing there were such things), without discipline, and without training. The misinformation and words parroted but uncomprehended made me so angry that I wound up going off the Spiritualist path.

Eventually I turned my life around and started to seek out fellow Spiritualists, but what was being taught at the local churches was the New Age instant gratification philosophy instead of the be trained and dedicated Spiritualist philosophy I had learned. Because I didn't know where to look, around a year ago, I contacted Arthur Findlay Collage and told them about my concerns regarding the negative spirits people were rushing to be in contact with, the lack of training, etc., and inquired if they could direct me to people who were practicing Spiritualism in my area.

The Collage directed me to their sister organization in my country (which was several thousand kilometers away from me) and I was horrified to discover that:
1. The minister had put a word similar to "path" at the end of his surname and given his church that name.
2. The minister told me there was no such thing as negative spirits and that I had too much of a Hollywood influence on my beliefs.
3. The minister told me that I was delusional and that a psychiatrist, not a Spiritualist, was what I needed to have in my life.

Now when I first started learning how to be a Spiritualist, naming churches after yourself or endorsing teachers who had named churches after themselves was something you did not do (you especially did not teach people that you are the "path" to Spirit). I was also taught that there were negative spirits, and based upon my own experiences I know that to be true. Lastly, I have discussed this with my psychiatrist and even though he doesn't think spirits exist he has not called me delusional.

So my question about finding Spiritualists still stands, but with the proviso that the Spiritualists or their mentors should have been trained in the English Spiritualist Philosophy but before the 1970's and preferably before WW II. I also need these Spiritualists to be near the west coast of Canada so I can conveniently reach them.
Can anyone help please?

Is the ad for Tupak the visionary Shaman an indication that even on a forum dedicated to Spiritualism, Spiritualism is dead?

equal-spirit


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by Admin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:38 am

Hi equal-spirit,

Welcome to the forum. Let me know if that ad is still showing when you are a member I can do something about it then, unfortunately visitors will still see it.

I can fully understand your thoughts. This forum is, essentially, dedicated to teh things you have commented about although even here ther can be a broad view about what Spiriualism is, I have consigned new age ideas to a seperate are to segregate them, the comments there tend to highlight teh lack of discrimination with which people accept them.

I do not think you have to go back to pre World War 2 because there are still good mediums around dedicated to Spiritualism.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by equal-spirit on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:51 am

Forgive my cynicism, but when I cannot tell the difference between mediums taught by the SNU and mediums who oppose Spiritualist Philosophy, and when the SNU endorses people who name churches after themselves in direct opposition to Spiritualist Philosophy, where am I supposed to find these mediums dedicated to Spiritualism?

equal-spirit


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by Admin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:54 am

I can understand that, you could try someone like Rev Anne Gehman from the NSAC who runs a church a little way outside of Washington for example. Her Church has a good web site and Anne is a very dedicated Spiritualist http://www.thecse.org/

I believe over Vancouver way you have the SNU affiliated Open Door Sanctuary http://www.firstspiritualists.com/home.shtml . With Ministers Brian Robertson, DSNU and Simon James, TSNU, OSNU running it. I would have to think around mediums but the best currently in the UK are not doing much overseas work.

I think one of the issues is about the words you use, the SNU has decided no one is at risk from evil Spirits. However I believe they forget that either some of the modern channellers are just using their imagination fuelled by what they read (which probably accounts for the largest group producing much which is whacky but too many find exciting) or there are a bunch of Spirits like Ashtar Command having fun with them.

The biggest problem, for too many of us is finding which mediums are good and which Spiritualist Centers have avoided the new age. Even some of those feel bound to put on some of the new stuff at times (God forbid channelling) to draw new people in, if tehy get the information balance right to promote Spiritualism its probably a fair risk.

Jim
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by mac on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:28 am

May I comment on the ad situation? I use Firefox as my web browser with Adblock Plus as a pop-up blocker. I'm presuming this was just such an advert? If so you may wish to consider trying the combination I've mentioned...

In terms of finding traditional Spiritualists - of whom I'm one even though I'm only 65 (almost) - it could be a hard slog. Over here in the UK there are situations similar to those you've described if the online situation reflects real-life.

Seems to me that although Spiritualism ain't doin' too good at the moment, the situation here in the UK is immeasurably better than in North America and down under. I should be - and am - thankful for that.

But you're here now and you should find a few Spiritualists, even some evidential mediums, to 'speak' to if that's of any interest although face-to-face probably won't be possible.

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by KatyKing on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 am

Hello equal spirit and welcome to the forum. We have just one medium who was working before WW two. She no longer demonstrates but is a pillar of our church which was founded as a Lyceum pre SNU became SNU then left the union as an independent Progressive albeit retaining the Principles.
We are one of those causes that Admin alludes to where for fn social events we countenance caed readers and the like for mini sittings at monthly open events aimed to get the pubic through the doors in hopes some may be drawn to attend our mainstream meetings and services which are essentally old order using SNU hymnal with philosophy and demonstration. We also have an actiive training and development programme. The church building is open and used every day and most evenings.
I only date back to 1977 as a working 'public' medium but you would travel a long way to meet one more traditional if not downright old fashioned.
PM or my website at the side if you would like to chat. All good wishes with your search for contacts in Canada. If Spirit is behind it then no obstacles will stand in your way.
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by mac on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:52 am

"If Spirit is behind it then no obstacles will stand in your way. "

Even our discarnate friends can't find what's not there, though...

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by KatyKing on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Physical merchants could beg to differ but I agree mac.
Very Happy
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by mac on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:08 pm

KatyKing wrote:Physical merchants could beg to differ but I agree mac.
Very Happy

you cheeky monkey - as if they would! Laughing

mac


Back to top Go down

Making silk purses out of sows ears

Post by equal-spirit on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:44 pm

mac wrote:"If Spirit is behind it then no obstacles will stand in your way. "

Even our discarnate friends can't find what's not there, though...
I can't argue with that. I used to belong to an organization that was a Spiritualist Church (on paper), but the members had changed the constitution so that spiritualist ministers could only come to teach by invitition. The people who were supposedly sitting in circle to develop were being begged by Spirits to commit to service, but the best intentioned sitters only wanted to get enough information to prove to themselves that the afterlife was real. The sitters with the worst intentions wanted to control the church, and those sitters were in the majority.
Those members used to advertize the church as a healing centre with an entirely different name until a lawyer advised them that they could lose their status as a church (tax free benefits etc) if they continued to do so. The last time I went there I found out that two of the most influential people there, both ordained christian ministers, were the president and the vice president. What a situation, two christian ministers sitting on the board of a Spiritualist Church that only allows Spiritualist Ministers to come by invitation.

Anyway, in my first post I said that my anger at the people in the aforementioned church had made me step off the path. What I didn't say was that those steps took me into six years of addiction to crack cocaine. I've almost recovered to the point that angelic Spirits will come to me and be my guides, not because of my angelic nature but because of my intentions and because they have nothing better to work with. Those Spirits are again urging me to service and to teach, but I've only got the equivelent of a Grade Three education in Spiritualism and should be spending another decade learning from people who are far more knowledgeable than me. Also, the last time I was at this stage of development only mischievous spirits would come to me so I cannot trust myself or the spirits who are urging me to service.

That is why I have asked for help. I need guidance. Also, since venturing into the Spirit Realm is akin to going scuba diving, I don't want to do this alone and not have help when (not if) I get into trouble.


equal-spirit


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by KatyKing on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Well you are amongst friends here equal spirit and those on the higher side are rooting for you to be free of all addictions. That's a path you have to walk for yourself but one along which you will have many supporters as you take each step one-at-a-time.
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by petal34 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm

equal-spirit wrote:
mac wrote:"If Spirit is behind it then no obstacles will stand in your way. "

Even our discarnate friends can't find what's not there, though...
I can't argue with that. I used to belong to an organization that was a Spiritualist Church (on paper), but the members had changed the constitution so that spiritualist ministers could only come to teach by invitition. The people who were supposedly sitting in circle to develop were being begged by Spirits to commit to service, but the best intentioned sitters only wanted to get enough information to prove to themselves that the afterlife was real. The sitters with the worst intentions wanted to control the church, and those sitters were in the majority.
Those members used to advertize the church as a healing centre with an entirely different name until a lawyer advised them that they could lose their status as a church (tax free benefits etc) if they continued to do so. The last time I went there I found out that two of the most influential people there, both ordained christian ministers, were the president and the vice president. What a situation, two christian ministers sitting on the board of a Spiritualist Church that only allows Spiritualist Ministers to come by invitation.

Anyway, in my first post I said that my anger at the people in the aforementioned church had made me step off the path. What I didn't say was that those steps took me into six years of addiction to crack cocaine. I've almost recovered to the point that angelic Spirits will come to me and be my guides, not because of my angelic nature but because of my intentions and because they have nothing better to work with. Those Spirits are again urging me to service and to teach, but I've only got the equivelent of a Grade Three education in Spiritualism and should be spending another decade learning from people who are far more knowledgeable than me. Also, the last time I was at this stage of development only mischievous spirits would come to me so I cannot trust myself or the spirits who are urging me to service.

That is why I have asked for help. I need guidance. Also, since venturing into the Spirit Realm is akin to going scuba diving, I don't want to do this alone and not have help when (not if) I get into trouble.


My thoughts are with you.
I sincerely hope you receive the help you need.
Petal
avatar
petal34


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by mac on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:35 pm

equal-spirit wrote:
mac wrote:"If Spirit is behind it then no obstacles will stand in your way. "

Even our discarnate friends can't find what's not there, though...
I can't argue with that. I used to belong to an organization that was a Spiritualist Church (on paper), but the members had changed the constitution so that spiritualist ministers could only come to teach by invitition. The people who were supposedly sitting in circle to...............knowledgeable than me. Also, the last time I was at this stage of development only mischievous spirits would come to me so I cannot trust myself or the spirits who are urging me to service.

That is why I have asked for help. I need guidance. Also, since venturing into the Spirit Realm is akin to going scuba diving, I don't want to do this alone and not have help when (not if) I get into trouble.


A well-presented and vivid account of your troubled life. My word you've had / are having a struggle and I totally understand your concerns.

I admire your frankness over your concerns about your discarnate companions. I NEVER give advice but reading what you've said my suggestion is that your physical and emotional welfare are what matter for now. You're no good for serving others until your own health is robust enough and anyway, you are entitled to have concern for yourself.

If your unseen companions are genuine in their urging you to eventually return to service and teaching they will know that and give you space and time.

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by Left Behind on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Interesting discussion, E-S. I'm afraid that I can't add much to it, as I'm new to Spiritualism and not in Canada (am in the US, where the situation is probably just as bad), but I understand what you mean.

Your heart is in the right place, and I think that when we enter the next world, what's really going to matter is how well we tried to do what we could. Trying to do some good in a hostile environment probably counts for a lot more than achieving a lot of apparent success in an environment that was very conducive to same.

I'm 60 years old, got involved with Spiritualism only a year or so back, have no real mediumistic ability, nor any money with which to do big deeds for Spiritualism. . . but I plug away as best I can, trying to learn a bit more each day, trying to spread a good word for it here and there as the occasion arises.

As far as learning. . . you've come to the best site for that. Wink

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by Wes on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:12 am

Left Behind wrote:
I'm 60 years old, got involved with Spiritualism only a year or so back, have no real mediumistic ability, nor any money with which to do big deeds for Spiritualism. . . but I plug away as best I can, trying to learn a bit more each day, trying to spread a good word for it here and there as the occasion arises.

Jim

To loosely paraphrase Silver Birch: You may not be a great spiritualist, or a great medium, or a great businessman, but you can be a great soul.

Very Happy



avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by Left Behind on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:54 am

Wes wrote:
Left Behind wrote:
I'm 60 years old, got involved with Spiritualism only a year or so back, have no real mediumistic ability, nor any money with which to do big deeds for Spiritualism. . . but I plug away as best I can, trying to learn a bit more each day, trying to spread a good word for it here and there as the occasion arises.

Jim

To loosely paraphrase Silver Birch: You may not be a great spiritualist, or a great medium, or a great businessman, but you can be a great soul.

Very Happy




I can take that! Laughing

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by KatyKing on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:22 am

Wise words indeed.
(A big lottery win would be nice though).
'Great Soul' + Wads of Cash. Nice.
Very Happy
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by equal-spirit on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:16 pm

A quick update on my situation:

On a personal level, my life is now beautiful and rewarding. I've been seeing a psychiatrist and several counselors and only have one major negative life issue left to deal with. (Also when I joined this forum my doctor had accidentally overdosed me on medication and because the medicine wasn't working he kept increasing the dosage. The problem was eventually discovered and fixed and now I do not even need to be medicated.)
This improvement has made my mediumship better and has removed a lot of the distractions/blinders that kept me from comprehending the puzzle and complaining there was something wrong with the pieces (I just hadn't put them together properly).

So... I appreciate everyone's responses and have to apologize for wasting your time because I was asking the wrong questions and looking for answers to those wrong questions in the wrong place.

For now though, I am going to participate on this forum board and allow Spirit to guide me into learning and saying what will serve people best.

equal-spirit


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by mac on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 pm

I don't remember you being a member - how long ago were you posting here?

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by obiwan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi mac if you click on the username you can then list all the member's posts.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by mac on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 am

obiwan wrote:Hi mac if you click on the username you can then list all the member's posts.

ah, of course! It's eleven months since this member made their last of only a few postings. Easily long enough for this senior to have forgotten the name!

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Any Spiritualist Mediums trained before WW II still teaching

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum