Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by petal34 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:56 am

Admin wrote:Hi Petal, currently I could buy a nice place in the UK and put a bit away into Super. Most of that change is exchange rate of course but house prices here have beem much more stable. Only two years ago ir took me $2.50 to buy One "Great" British Pound now I only need $1.50. Similarly my one Oz dollar only bought 75 US cents it now buys 106 US cents. At this date we are the owners of the mighty dollar here in aus

Jim

Aussie passport in hand,Jim,I'm on my way back..... Very Happy
If only....... Sad
Petal.
avatar
petal34


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:41 am

Hi Petal

Not now we did it when the $ was bad against the pound, your savngs would be worth little here sadly...anyway the Liberals here are moving further right than Ghenghis Khan and if possible more ultra right than Maggie T. I think they are considering removing all unemployment benefits etc etc what do you expect when a Catholic who should have been a priest heads them with the appropriate name Abbott. They look set fair to win the next election and God help the poor.

Jim
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by KatyKing on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Good thing too. Far too many benefit scroungers over here all greedily suckling on the welfare pap. Pensioners could get double what they do now if the workshy fit were made to earn their keep instead of sponging off the poor bleddy taxpayers.
Bumper sticker I saw recently.....
Work harder! Millions on Welfare are depending on YOU!
Jim LB we have fish and chip shops here. Always busy on Friday nights. A staple diet for the 'poor' and a rare treat for the rest of us. We'e been to ours twice in six years here. It's very good but Mrs. K. makes her own cheaper and better. Last year cod, chips and mushy peas for two cost not much change from 15 from the local 'chip shop'. We can make two meals for two for less than.
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by petal34 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Admin wrote:Hi Petal

Not now we did it when the $ was bad against the pound, your savngs would be worth little here sadly...anyway the Liberals here are moving further right than Ghenghis Khan and if possible more ultra right than Maggie T. I think they are considering removing all unemployment benefits etc etc what do you expect when a Catholic who should have been a priest heads them with the appropriate name Abbott. They look set fair to win the next election and God help the poor.

Jim

1960's weren't much better,for the first time since marrying I had to look for work.
And then we just survived.
Two young children to keep and a mortgage to pay,things weren't too good.
But we did it and were quite proud of the home we made and owned.
The crunch was my parents,who promised to join us,changed their minds and we felt pressured to return back to the UK.
But my dream always was return back to Oz,at least made it for a year after hubby passed on.
But with one half of the family over there and other half here in the Uk,hands were tied.
Currency wasn't too bad in 2007,I gained about half again in savings.
Plus a Aussie's Vet's dependant pension keeps me comfortable.
Bless his little heart,he always said he would make sure I was comfortable.
He did! Very Happy
avatar
petal34


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by zerdini on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 pm

What has any of this to do with the original topic? Rolling Eyes

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by KatyKing on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Cost of 'accomodation' George? Jolly interesting too. Nice to discover what costs what and where.
Online 'community'-building sort of thing perhaps.
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Left Behind on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:19 pm

KatyKing wrote:
Lots of Spiritualist Amish on the quiet.

I wouldn't have thought that: but the Shakers and Quakers often were, so why not the Amish?

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by zerdini on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:26 pm

KatyKing wrote:Cost of 'accomodation' George? Jolly interesting too. Nice to discover what costs what and where.
Online 'community'-building sort of thing perhaps.

All that information is available on the College website, Peter.

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by KatyKing on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:31 pm

What even house prices in Oz?
AFC is more comprehensive than one imagined.
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by zerdini on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm

KatyKing wrote:What even house prices in Oz?
AFC is more comprehensive than one imagined.


Now you're being silly, Peter. Rolling Eyes

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Wes on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 pm

zerdini wrote:
KatyKing wrote:What even house prices in Oz?
AFC is more comprehensive than one imagined.


Now you're being silly, Peter. Rolling Eyes

Lately it's become all too common for threads in this forum to become mired in aimless banter and gossip that make me wonder if
it's actually worth posting a serious topic or comment anymore...








avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Its a good point Wes but I tend to let it drift in this general chat area and if a topic elsewhere wanders too far off topic I will move it here too.

As long as posters remember that in the more serious parts of the forum we should be OK.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Wes on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:02 am

Admin wrote:Its a good point Wes but I tend to let it drift in this general chat area and if a topic elsewhere wanders too far off topic I will move it here too.

As long as posters remember that in the more serious parts of the forum we should be OK.

That's fine Jim though it does worry me that new people to the forum will browse through topics and click on things that interest them, only to read a few posts on topic then see a page full of someone's shopping list or what they had for breakfast that morning. I see far too much of this in the Spiritualist wasteland where I live, to want to see it take over this forum, which is often the only place I can read something of spiritual value.
avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Admin on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:05 am

I agree with you Wes and will follow this ploicy from now on. Shopping lists, pensions potatoes and cabbages are allowable in general chat but otherwise only within the context of the post like pensioner is apported into a circle carrying cake and potatoes
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Wes on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:08 am

Excellent Jim, now if you can just sort out the Spiritual group I'm in on Facebook, I'd be content.
avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by zerdini on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:23 am

Wes wrote:
Admin wrote:Its a good point Wes but I tend to let it drift in this general chat area and if a topic elsewhere wanders too far off topic I will move it here too.

As long as posters remember that in the more serious parts of the forum we should be OK.

That's fine Jim though it does worry me that new people to the forum will browse through topics and click on things that interest them, only to read a few posts on topic then see a page full of someone's shopping list or what they had for breakfast that morning. I see far too much of this in the Spiritualist wasteland where I live, to want to see it take over this forum, which is often the only place I can read something of spiritual value.


I agree, Wes. Very often too much space is taken up with the ramblings of a disordered mind.

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by skfarblum on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:32 am

Possibly a way to remedy this is to allow posters to delete those posts of
theirs they feel are not of importance.My problem here is that as soon as
someone posts after me I cant delete my post.Is there away around this?
Stephen
avatar
skfarblum


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Wes on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 am

You can always edit your post skfarblum, perhaps replacing the text with an appropriate symbol such as
avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by skfarblum on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:52 am

Yes I know Wes.And that is a nice symbol.But unfortunately
sometimes when reading back on what I wrote ,in my own
opinion, it is best removed
completely
avatar
skfarblum


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Loneblossom on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:57 am

petal34 wrote:
Loneblossom wrote:
petal34 wrote:USA is very much the same as Australia.
Clothing is cheaper (some),food is more varied.
Housing is cheaper.
My son sold a 5 bedroomed home,complete with pool,barbie area,etc for just under $500,000
Well under 200,000.
Medical fees were simliar as the US.
As a Veteran's dependant,I received medical treament free.
A Veteran's card got me 15% off most goods.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding Petal (in which case I apologise), but housing is more expensive in Australia, not cheaper, Petal. AU$500 000 is actually 325000 GBP. It would be very difficult to buy a 5 bedroom house for $500 000 in the metro areas here (unfortunately). We have a Medicare system here, so medical fees are similar to the NHS in the UK rather than the US system.

No problem,Loneblossom.
Son lived in Mackay which as you will know is in North Queensland.
Also depends on the area and they were a good way from the town.
But going by the prices of a 5 bedroom home in the UK,complete with swimming pool would be extremely expensive.
Also apoligise if I have the rate of exchange incorrect.
I was resident in Australia many years ago and at that time house prices were pretty equal to the UK.
On a further note,I have just been told that house prices have now risen considerably in the Mackay area.
I do apoligise for any errors I may have made in facts concerning prices etc in Oz but going from my last residence there which was in 2007.
My assumptions were based from that time.
Medical care was very cheap for me,being the wife of a veteran who did service in Korea.

Sorry Petal, I didn't realise that it was that far back that you lived here, and yes Mackay would have been lots cheaper back then too. The exchange rate has swung so much since then and now. Back then it was about 40p-45p for AU$1, now it's about 60-65p for AU$1!!

I'd love to go to the course in the UK as it's much cheaper for me to do it with the exchange rate being in my favour tongue
avatar
Loneblossom


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by petal34 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:39 am

Loneblossom wrote:
petal34 wrote:
Loneblossom wrote:
petal34 wrote:USA is very much the same as Australia.
Clothing is cheaper (some),food is more varied.
Housing is cheaper.
My son sold a 5 bedroomed home,complete with pool,barbie area,etc for just under $500,000
Well under 200,000.
Medical fees were simliar as the US.
As a Veteran's dependant,I received medical treament free.
A Veteran's card got me 15% off most goods.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding Petal (in which case I apologise), but housing is more expensive in Australia, not cheaper, Petal. AU$500 000 is actually 325000 GBP. It would be very difficult to buy a 5 bedroom house for $500 000 in the metro areas here (unfortunately). We have a Medicare system here, so medical fees are similar to the NHS in the UK rather than the US system.

No problem,Loneblossom.
Son lived in Mackay which as you will know is in North Queensland.
Also depends on the area and they were a good way from the town.
But going by the prices of a 5 bedroom home in the UK,complete with swimming pool would be extremely expensive.
Also apoligise if I have the rate of exchange incorrect.
I was resident in Australia many years ago and at that time house prices were pretty equal to the UK.
On a further note,I have just been told that house prices have now risen considerably in the Mackay area.
I do apoligise for any errors I may have made in facts concerning prices etc in Oz but going from my last residence there which was in 2007.
My assumptions were based from that time.
Medical care was very cheap for me,being the wife of a veteran who did service in Korea.

Sorry Petal, I didn't realise that it was that far back that you lived here, and yes Mackay would have been lots cheaper back then too. The exchange rate has swung so much since then and now. Back then it was about 40p-45p for AU$1, now it's about 60-65p for AU$1!!

I'd love to go to the course in the UK as it's much cheaper for me to do it with the exchange rate being in my favour tongue

And why not,Loneblossom?
You go for it.
We did well in Australia back in the 60's,good employment and many Aussie friends were made.
Went out with 300,worked our backsides off and the ten years we were resident there,were the best in our lives,arrived back in the UK to buy our own property straight out.
Property in the UK is worth a lot more now,so can understand the high costs for accomodation at Stanstead Hall.
Depending on the standard of the rooms and meals,of course.... Neutral Suspect
Good luck to you,my friend.
Enjoy!
Very Happy
Petal
avatar
petal34


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by KatyKing on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:42 am

You must come to tea if you get to Stansted loneblossom. We're only just over an hour away from AFC.
avatar
KatyKing


Back to top Go down

Re: Cost of Accommodation and Courses at the Stanstead Hall?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum