SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The God Hypothesis

4 posters

Go down

The God Hypothesis Empty The God Hypothesis

Post by Admin Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:46 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-stenger/the-god-hypothesis_b_1355321.html
Worth a read
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The God Hypothesis Empty Re: The God Hypothesis

Post by KatyKing Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Heads God exists. Tails he doesn't.
Let us weigh up the gain and the loss involved in calling heads that God exists. Let us assess the two cases: if you win, you win everything: if you lose, you lose nothing. Do not hesitate then: wager that he does exist.

The old 'uns are the good uns.
Very Happy
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 am

Personally I think God went into retirement shortly after handing the family business over to his son, and now resides in the Mount Olympus Home for Deities who have reached their use by date.
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:27 am

Very Happy
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Summerland for the Gods Wes
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

That Mount Olympus always struck me as being like a sort of celestial Dallas. The TV series not the city. Everyone scheming, plotting and getting up to all manner of mischief. Now your Valhalla that's more like it. Plenty of carousing [not sure what that entails but the word sounds like fun] and big dinners. Christian heaven sounds rather dull unless harp music and singing is your thing and the less said about the Moslem paradise.... One Mrs K is more than enough thank you. Forty would be far too many. Buddhist Nirvana is 'nothingness' apparently. Bit boring perhaps, but then would you notice?
Summerland will do for me. Nice little cottage with a bit of garden and loved ones close by with maybe a little part time job as a spirit guide.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 am

It is fascinating to compare the antics of the greek and roman gods and then look at the god of the bible and see that the only real difference is that the biblical god is a one-man show. He shares all the same jealousies, anger, playing favourites, insecurites, looking for approval and sowing wild oats that the ensemble cast gods do. I have to wonder why anyone would want to put their faith and trust in such a wildly inconsistent and oddly human deity. You might as well put your trust in humanity and leave it it at that...
Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:23 am

I suppose as it was people who wrote the Bible albeit many of them very inspired people then they wrote God up according to their own understanding There are some whopping maledictions in the psalms. Real curses. All to do with the writer being ticked off about something or other.
The letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.... I seem to remember. Says it all really. Spirit transcends any holy books even though said books might be inspirational in parts.
I' not be without daily readings but no way is much of what' writte a road map for life as some claim.
Funny thing is the number of times something read speaks to a current concern.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:30 am

I get similar results from opening up a Silver Birch book at a random page ;-)

To put it to the test here's what I came up with just now:

"Humanity is composed of individuals at differing stages of growth. It is impossible to present them with one teaching that will appeal to all. You have to find what it is they are ready for."

Wes
Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:25 pm

It's good stuff Wes. SB has stood the test of time. Still in print so there's a demand for it.
I wonder who collects the royalties. It's still in copyright.
Anyone know?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:11 pm

KatyKing wrote:It's good stuff Wes. SB has stood the test of time. Still in print so there's a demand for it.
I wonder who collects the royalties. It's still in copyright.
Anyone know?

The Spiritual Truth Foundation.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks z.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Well a day without learning is a day wasted!
Not heard of the STF or if I had it passed me by until today.
Just had a look at their website. What an excellent and nicely phrased set of principles. Good to see no 'retribution' mentioned.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:53 am

KatyKing wrote:Thanks z.
You're welcome, KK Smile

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content