Organ Donation

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Organ Donation

Post by Quiet on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:08 am

mac wrote:

I don't make judgments on these issues....

My examples were simply to illustrate the potential pitfalls of generalisation.

I didn't mean to imply that you do make such judgements, Mac.

But I think it is important to make such an observation when discussiing things like 'personal responsibility' for health issues or certain life choices.

It's an philosophical issue that comes up often in my field of work - that might explain my interest in it.


Quiet


Back to top Go down

Re: Organ Donation

Post by Quiet on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:21 am

Wes wrote:Other instances may be less clear due to Natural Law operating beyond our powers of observation. Silver Birch would have us accept that babies born with terminal disease are not cases of bad luck or cruel twists of fate, but are cases of Natural Law in perfect operation. I'm not able to even begin to accept how this would be the case, but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand either.

Annie Besant's explanation of karma says much the same thing. It helped me not only to understand the wisdom of comments such as those atttributed to Silver Birch but to accept them with some peace. Besant worked from a basically Hindu perspective.

When these concepts are presented by people like Louise L. Hay they come over as judgemental and a little punitive because she doesn't really explain their derivation or subtlety

Quiet


Back to top Go down

Re: Organ Donation

Post by Wes on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 am

mac wrote: I'm comfortable with the amount I presently understand - that'll do fine for me this time around unless something/someone enlightens me further.

Such is my journey that I'm far from happy with my level of understanding, which leads me to using the knowledge and wisdom of others to help me along the way. Very Happy

avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Re: Organ Donation

Post by mac on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 am

Quiet wrote:[quote="mac]

I don't make judgments on these issues....

My examples were simply to illustrate the potential pitfalls of generalisation.

I didn't mean to imply that you do make such judgements, Mac.

But I think it is important to make such an observation when discussiing things like 'personal responsibility' for health issues or certain life choices.

It's an issue that comes up often in field of work - that might explain my interest in it.

[/quote]

Again it can be judgmental, the field of work or otherwise. In this life, and in any others we may have, personal responsibility is just that - personal.

I shook my head in dismay when I learned how George Best continued drinking after he'd had a new liver. I shake my head in dismay when I hear how an individual has gorged to excess and become a mountains of human flesh. But still I won't condemn, won't pass judgment, on their failing to take personal responsibility for their actions. I am simply thankful I haven't had to face what they've had to face and I wouldn't mind if my body part donation went to help such individuals.

Don't get me wrong - I ain't no saint and neither do I see others as sinners in their life choices provided they don't intend to hurt others. As some book or other has it "Let he who is without sin....." Wink

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Organ Donation

Post by mac on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 am

Wes wrote:
mac wrote: I'm comfortable with the amount I presently understand - that'll do fine for me this time around unless something/someone enlightens me further.

Such is my journey that I'm far from happy with my level of understanding, which leads me to using the knowledge and wisdom of others to help me along the way. Very Happy


That's one of the ways that eventually led me to where I presently am....wherever that is. Smile

mac


Back to top Go down

Re: Organ Donation

Post by Wes on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 am

Quiet wrote:
Wes wrote:Other instances may be less clear due to Natural Law operating beyond our powers of observation. Silver Birch would have us accept that babies born with terminal disease are not cases of bad luck or cruel twists of fate, but are cases of Natural Law in perfect operation. I'm not able to even begin to accept how this would be the case, but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand either.

Annie Besant's explanation of karma says much the same thing. It helped me not only to understand the wisdom of comments such as those atttributed to Silver Birch but to accept them with some peace. Besant worked from a basically Hindu perspective.

When these concepts are presented by people like Louise L. Hay they come over as judgemental and a little punitive because she doesn't really explain their derivation or subtlety

It's also important to treat people with compassion and be of service regardless of your views about the reasons for their situation, which isn't always easy but is always rewarding.

avatar
Wes


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum