SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think about the Scole Experiment?

+3
KatyKing
_Leslie_
Left Behind
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you think about the Scole Experiment? Empty What do you think about the Scole Experiment?

Post by Left Behind Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I saw a fascinating video on the subject that Mac forwarded to me.

What do you think of the Scole experiment?

Jim

Last edited by Left Behind on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

What do you think about the Scole Experiment? Empty Re: What do you think about the Scole Experiment?

Post by _Leslie_ Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Have the PDF book and still 'dissecting' it.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

What do you think about the Scole Experiment? Empty Re: What do you think about the Scole Experiment?

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Interesting stuff. Do you think there's a bit of a return to interest in this sort of thing? I've had two review copies arrive this past week both on the physical. Neither new just revamped older titles.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Definitely a renewal of interest... I only hope that most of those wishing to progress in this manner do so with a better commitment than they have towards 'mental' mediumship.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:17 pm

As an aside, I have still to 'meet' online anyone who was a subscriber to the NSSF during the years that Scole's experiment was ongoing.

I don't know what that indicates other than those who speak about it nowadays know about events only from Foy's book or the SPR investigation. I wonder where all the others like myself are? Maybe there just weren't many of us?

At the untimely, enforced end of the experiment I was totally disillusioned.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Could you post that hyperlink please mac?
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Two books here...
Alec Harris the full story of his remarkable physical mediumship
took AH years to develop
and
Life after death Living Proof.. Tom Harrison on his mum Minnie who developed into a physical medium in no time at all.

Both published by Tom's 'Saturday Night Press' imprint.
Look to be print on demand titles via Lightningsource. Good way to get minority interest books out without having to hold expensive stocks.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:49 pm

KatyKing wrote:Could you post that hyperlink please mac?

I would but I hadn't mentioned one.....

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 pm

It was that vid link that Jim LB mentioned in first post. Maybe I got tha wrong mac. No probs.
Apropos NSSF and Robin Foy I know nothing apart from what was in the trade press at the time and local opinion that it was all about to be exposed so they came up with some fantastic yarn to call a halt to meetings. Do know Norfolk a bit though and holiday plus dem near Scole.
Well respected Norfolk medium of long standing we know neither did at the time nor still reckons either Scole 'phenomena' or folks involved at all.
Back in 87 I was booked along with others to dem at the then Christian Spiritualist Healers Association [whatever happened to them?] jolly at Coleg Harlech in very Welsh Wales. One who later went on to be a big NSSF/Scole nabob did 'transfiguration' dems at the same gig. Or rather he didn't. 'A beardy man pulling funny faces' as one attendee described the dire performance.
As with all physical claimants, and I'm a firm believer that physical manifestations do occur; my request would be to be permitted to sit as a non-participant observer using night sight technology. If it's real I can't see there should be any objection to that. happening.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 am

".....my request would be to be permitted to sit as a non-participant observer using night sight technology. If it's real I can't see there should be any objection to that. happening. "

Similar suggestions/requests have been made at other times but there are always objections raised to any videoing in such a way.... One has to wonder why there's such reluctance.

I'm not a detractor or nay-sayer about the production of physical phenomena, only that I am concerned that more interest is shown in their production rather than what the phenomena could mean in terms of survival evidence.

I'd forgotten about the link I sent to Jim (New Orleans) earlier - I can't remember where I found it. Jim may be able to send it to you.....

Last edited by mac on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 am

Good points Mac.

The end of Scole was weird more in line with Stargate than Spirtualism. Certainly all teh comments I have seen make me question what goes on. Worries me even more that Mr Foy seems to be anmeshed at the heart of most of the modern physical mediumship which does so little to provide real proof of survival.

As Mac said Katy all sort of options have been suggested for the physical mediums to be safely photographed. I really like thermography. Still like you I would not be welcome in most of the dark seances especially after my run ins with DT.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 am

"The end of Scole was weird more in line with Stargate than Spirtualism. Certainly all teh comments I have seen make me question what goes on."

I was totally disillusioned that their whole communication system had foundered so spectacularly and that the final events were reported in the 'Spiritual Scientist' in much the way that the outcome of earlier experimental results had been routinely reported to subscribers. Before that I had been totally supportive of their endeavours, even expecting there would be an eventual worthwhile result.

what a dummy Crying or Very sad

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Did you ever get to any of their actual meetings mac?
I'd heard they were a very select and self selecting band of brothers.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 am

KatyKing wrote:Did you ever get to any of their actual meetings mac?
I'd heard they were a very select and self selecting band of brothers.

I suppose I should be flattered as I did go to one and was invited to another..... Laughing

But that was when there was an 'open house' situation for Foundation subscribers to visit and sit in the 'Scole Hole' to experience some of the phenomena. I enjoyed my experiences but didn't choose to repeat them because physical mediumship, along with assorted phenomena, didn't then - and still doesn't now - matter much to me. And if mediumship of any sort doesn't adequately demonstrate evidence of survival et al, then I don't rate it very highly, if at all.

I guess I'm not easily impressed by the mechanism of mediumship, only by the outcome and that was still a work-in-progress at Scole during that time. I'm still astonished that I've not encountered anyone who was a subscriber, or who will admit to it! At one time I offered to act as a contact-point for other subscribers who might want to get together to discuss their experiences etc.

I had suggested that the newsletter could carry the contact details of anyone who was interested in such a get-together but RF wouldn't entertain the idea so I then suggested that my contact details be given in the newsletter so that subscribers could reach me directly but I could not persuade RF even to do that. He seemed reluctant for subscribers to be able to speak to one another and I could never understand that. The whole organisation folded shortly after so it didn't matter.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:32 am

_Leslie_ wrote:Definitely a renewal of interest... I only hope that most of those wishing to progress in this manner do so with a better commitment than they have towards 'mental' mediumship.

Yes: especially since I've been informed that a much greater degree of commitment is necessary.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 am

KatyKing wrote:Interesting stuff. Do you think there's a bit of a return to interest in this sort of thing? I've had two review copies arrive this past week both on the physical. Neither new just revamped older titles.

I do believe that there is, Peter. Very Happy And it seems to be of a serious nature: not spook-show stuff, but serious home circles, working quietly, and achieving good results.

A lady in the UK named Jo Bradley has a good home circle and a Forum about the topic: called, of all things. Physical Mediumship. Very Happy

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:44 am

mac wrote:[i]
I'd forgotten about the link I sent to Jim (New Orleans) earlier - I can't remember where I found it. Jim may be able to send it to you.....

Mac, you'd sent me that via a PM on Spiritual Forum. I'm just-now reading your and Peter's conversation here. I'm sure I still have the message with the URL in it. It's getting late here, so I'll check on that tomorrow, and post it here.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 am

Hi Jim,

I will make no comments regarding Jo Bradley on here, suffice my forum is seperate but at first, after I set this one up, I was a part of two other forums before reverting to just my own one. We had a major difference of opinion of what was and was not part of Spiritualism.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:15 am

I know Jo Bradley, used to frequent a forum she was on for a while and her own...
The difference of opinion on what is spiritualism certainly does differ from forum to forum.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 pm

"The difference of opinion on what is spiritualism certainly does differ from forum to forum."

Spelling 'spiritualism' with lower case 's' suggests to many that the forum is just about being spiritual - I know that to be the case from what I've been told in many interactions with folk posting their thoughts in the wrong forum.

Increasingly I use the term 'Modern Spiritualism' (upper case first letters) to denote the religion and philosophy to which traditional Spiritualists (like myself) are adherents.

And as for Modern Spiritualism I find it's very easy to define with little room for ambiguity.

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm

I've no issues with anyone getting a living from psychic fairs,fortune telling via t'nternet and themed spooky parties for pay. Do it and good luck but pay your flippin taxes and don't do it if you are claiming to be unfit for work and claiming.
What ticks me off as a taxpayer are those who do all that whilst at the same time claiming state benefits for spurious 'Illnesses'. It's practically a cottage industry in the UK is fiddling the social security benefits system whilst doing undeclared paid work on the side.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 pm

mac wrote:"The difference of opinion on what is spiritualism certainly does differ from forum to forum."

Spelling 'spiritualism' with lower case 's' suggests to many that the forum is just about being spiritual - I know that to be the case from what I've been told in many interactions with folk posting their thoughts in the wrong forum.

Increasingly I use the term 'Modern Spiritualism' (upper case first letters) to denote the religion and philosophy to which traditional Spiritualists (like myself) are adherents.

And as for Modern Spiritualism I find it's very easy to define with little room for ambiguity.

Indeed I agree with you Mac, my problem with Jo stemmed from teh inclusion of Indigoand Crystal children, ascnsion a la Diana Cooper, Ascended masters and archangels but then I am a dyed in the wool Modern Spiritualist and will not incorporate anything that a touch of intelligence will ensure gets excluded. If you allow it into Spiritualism it will take it over and you will just get a New Age ragbag with increasingly poor proof of survival. Very few of the "Mediums" from that stream feel any need for proof because Spirit tells them everything. The modern "teachings" are entirely unsubstantiated coming from "channellers" of the Archangels.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mac Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 pm

We've now wandered away from the original discussion about the events at Scole but even that subject had little to do with Spiritualism....

And I vividly remember Robin Foy's retort when I once said something about Spiritualism. "I'm not a Spiritualist!" he adamantly declared.

All I could get out in response was "Oh, oh.....".

mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 pm

What a surprise to hear that Mac sounds more like a Stargatian... yes we have wandered off track but as you said it may be appropriate in that we are mirroring the events at Scole.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Left Behind wrote:
KatyKing wrote:Interesting stuff. Do you think there's a bit of a return to interest in this sort of thing? I've had two review copies arrive this past week both on the physical. Neither new just revamped older titles.

I do believe that there is, Peter. Very Happy And it seems to be of a serious nature: not spook-show stuff, but serious home circles, working quietly, and achieving good results.

A lady in the UK named Jo Bradley has a good home circle and a Forum about the topic: called, of all things. Physical Mediumship. Very Happy

Jim

The problem here Jim is that who can say whether a home circle is good or bad. The number of dedicated people who may sit does not relate to valid and verifiable proof of survival although the energy generated may create telekinesis (sadly in some home circles ego may also generate fraudulent performances)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next