The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

This looks like a very interesting series Michael has decided to write with 4 volumes

http://whitecrowbooks.com/books/page/the_afterlife_explorers_volume_1/
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Left Behind on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 am

Sounds like a must read!

I had no idea there was as much "filed away and forgotten" material as the author indicates. Shocked

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by zerdini on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 am

I have been asked more than a few times why so much of what I write about life after death, psychical research, and related paranorml subjects has to do with stories from a hundred and more years ago – more specifically, with the research that took place between 1850 and 1930 – and not more with modern mediums, researchers, and phenomena. Part of the reason, I explain, is that there has been relatively very little research aimed at developing evidence of man’s survival after death going on since 1930. Moreover, what research has taken place in recent decades has, for the most part, been adequately explained by the researchers in their own books or reports.

There is plenty of evidence since 1930 - it's just that Michael Tymn isn't aware of it. Rolling Eyes

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Z I think Michael Tymn is taking the viewpoint of decent research upon teh subject. To a Psychical Researcher, Parapsychologist or an Anomalistic Psychologist (to use the latest buzz phrase) there has not been the level of detailed research that so many completed earlier on.

Indeed how many of our mediums show any willingness to become involved in projects. It appears very few will and this reluctance combines with the point Tymn's makes about the very researchers being unwilling to risk their academic reputation by delving into such issues.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by hiorta on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 am

In my experience 'psychical research' is undertaken by those without psychic ability and following prolonged 'investigation and assessment' will never commit to a positive finding. With one foot in science and the other in 'spooky stuff', they will always side with science.
avatar
hiorta


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by zerdini on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 am

Admin wrote:Hi Z I think Michael Tymn is taking the viewpoint of decent research upon teh subject. To a Psychical Researcher, Parapsychologist or an Anomalistic Psychologist (to use the latest buzz phrase) there has not been the level of detailed research that so many completed earlier on.

Indeed how many of our mediums show any willingness to become involved in projects. It appears very few will and this reluctance combines with the point Tymn's makes about the very researchers being unwilling to risk their academic reputation by delving into such issues.

I have had a discussion with Michael Tymn before on another website. He gets very angry when I point out that his research is based on others works rather than his own.

He finally admitted that he has little personal experience of mediumship, particularly physical mediumship.

I don't blame mediums for refusing, whoever the latest researcher may be, to take part in projects when they could be demonstrating evidence of survival to those who are bereaved.

Hiorta makes a very good point about science.

zerdini


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Left Behind on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 pm

I doubt that at this point we can "prove" the validity of Spiritualism to a skeptic: any more than we can "prove" the existence of God.

The evidence is there: either you accept it or reject it.

The problem with most "skeptics" is that they aren't skeptical at all: instead, they've already made up their minds that there is no afterlife, that there is no God.

If I "know" that there is no afterlife, then obviously any evidence indicating that there is, must be merely a hoax.

In times past, we had investigators like Moore, Findlay, etc. who were willing to change their minds when the evidence overwhelmed them. Do we have that today? Question

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by obiwan on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Left Behind wrote:I doubt that at this point we can "prove" the validity of Spiritualism to a skeptic: any more than we can "prove" the existence of God.

The evidence is there: either you accept it or reject it.

The problem with most "skeptics" is that they aren't skeptical at all: instead, they've already made up their minds that there is no afterlife, that there is no God.

If I "know" that there is no afterlife, then obviously any evidence indicating that there is, must be merely a hoax.

In times past, we had investigators like Moore, Findlay, etc. who were willing to change their minds when the evidence overwhelmed them. Do we have that today? Question

Jim
Do we have anyone who can provide the sort of evidence Moore and Findlay received?

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Left Behind on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:08 pm

obiwan wrote:

In times past, we had investigators like Moore, Findlay, etc. who were willing to change their minds when the evidence overwhelmed them. Do we have that today? Question

Jim
Do we have anyone who can provide the sort of evidence Moore and Findlay received?[/quote]

Probably not, Obiwan: and more's the pity there. Crying or Very sad

BUT, we still have the records of the investigations and revelations and materializations of the past. Why shouldn't an open-minded, even if truly skeptical (in the best sense of the term) investigator give credence to the views and experiences of investigators of those days of yore? Especially when the investigators were scientists, lawyers, high-ranking military officers, hard-nosed businessmen, and other people not easily taken in by frauds?

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Jim,

it is well worth looking at some of the research done earlier.

The library here http://www.nasm.org.au/library.html includes in pdf download format
Sir Wm Crookes Researches in the Phenomena of Modern Spiritualism

Dawn of the Awakened Mind Brilliant Research and Seance records from John S King Founder of the Canadian SPR

Experimental Investigations of Spirit Manifestations Robert Hare 1856

Mrs Piper and the SPR M. Sage

In the past amongst the unsympathetic researchers ther have been some excellent people doing good work. Robert Hare started out intending to follow on from the work of Faraday and totally destroy Spiritualism ending up a convert.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by obiwan on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Left Behind wrote:
obiwan wrote:

In times past, we had investigators like Moore, Findlay, etc. who were willing to change their minds when the evidence overwhelmed them. Do we have that today? Question

Jim
Do we have anyone who can provide the sort of evidence Moore and Findlay received?

Probably not, Obiwan: and more's the pity there. Crying or Very sad

BUT, we still have the records of the investigations and revelations and materializations of the past. Why shouldn't an open-minded, even if truly skeptical (in the best sense of the term) investigator give credence to the views and experiences of investigators of those days of yore? Especially when the investigators were scientists, lawyers, high-ranking military officers, hard-nosed businessmen, and other people not easily taken in by frauds?

Jim

In which case there would be no point in such investigators - at least for the present Smile

As you say, the record is already there.
What would be the point in re-creating the research based on earlier studies if it has been done and such research is already available? I do think that the record stands up well to open-minded scrutiny however it doesn't reach the critical mass which takes it much beyond 'interesting', at least not for me.

The difficulty for a present-day researcher is that they would simply be adding their opinion of the opinions of the original observers unless they could witness similar phenomena for themselves, document and then report it.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Typically though Ob,i with the new technology availabe, it should be possible to be much more exacting, especially in physical seances without placing the medium at any risk.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Left Behind on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Admin wrote:Hi Jim,

it is well worth looking at some of the research done earlier.

The library here http://www.nasm.org.au/library.html includes in pdf download format
Sir Wm Crookes Researches in the Phenomena of Modern Spiritualism

Dawn of the Awakened Mind Brilliant Research and Seance records from John S King Founder of the Canadian SPR

Experimental Investigations of Spirit Manifestations Robert Hare 1856

Mrs Piper and the SPR M. Sage

In the past amongst the unsympathetic researchers ther have been some excellent people doing good work. Robert Hare started out intending to follow on from the work of Faraday and totally destroy Spiritualism ending up a convert.

So much great stuff to read! Very Happy I'm currently reading James Padgett (electronic format), and Admiral Moore's "Glimpses. . ." (book format).

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Left Behind on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 pm

obiwan wrote:
Left Behind wrote:
obiwan wrote:

In times past, we had investigators like Moore, Findlay, etc. who were willing to change their minds when the evidence overwhelmed them. Do we have that today? Question

Jim
Do we have anyone who can provide the sort of evidence Moore and Findlay received?

Probably not, Obiwan: and more's the pity there. Crying or Very sad

BUT, we still have the records of the investigations and revelations and materializations of the past. Why shouldn't an open-minded, even if truly skeptical (in the best sense of the term) investigator give credence to the views and experiences of investigators of those days of yore? Especially when the investigators were scientists, lawyers, high-ranking military officers, hard-nosed businessmen, and other people not easily taken in by frauds?

Jim

In which case there would be no point in such investigators - at least for the present Smile

As you say, the record is already there.
What would be the point in re-creating the research based on earlier studies if it has been done and such research is already available? I do think that the record stands up well to open-minded scrutiny however it doesn't reach the critical mass which takes it much beyond 'interesting', at least not for me.

The difficulty for a present-day researcher is that they would simply be adding their opinion of the opinions of the original observers unless they could witness similar phenomena for themselves, document and then report it.

I think the biggest progress in the near future will come from an approach that incorporates the truths learned from Spiritualism (past and present), with the Near-Death Experience, and other approaches.

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: The Afterlife Explorers Volume 1 Michael Tymn

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum