Daily Life in the Spirit World?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Pardon me if this is an old, well-covered topic, but keeping in mind that all this is new to me: what do Spiritualist revelations have to say about daily life in the spirit world?

I've read the first two Benson / Borgia books: Life in the World Unseen, and More About Life in the World Unseen, and just started reading Here and Hereafter.

Any other good books that offer insight on this fascinating topic?

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by obiwan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:30 am

You might want to listen to listen to some of the recordings on the Leslie Flint website.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Azur on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Left Behind wrote:Pardon me if this is an old, well-covered topic, but keeping in mind that all this is new to me: what do Spiritualist revelations have to say about daily life in the spirit world?

I've read the first two Benson / Borgia books: Life in the World Unseen, and More About Life in the World Unseen, and just started reading Here and Hereafter.

Any other good books that offer insight on this fascinating topic?

Jim

Life Beyond Death: What Should We Expect? by David Fontana is is quite good Jim.

David examines all the extensive evidential material that has been accumulated over time—including communication through mediums and accounts from those who had near-death and out-of-body experiences.

Azur


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks, I'll look into these.

The Fontana book sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, if it incorporates findings from both sources of information. Smile

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by obiwan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Azur wrote:
Left Behind wrote:Pardon me if this is an old, well-covered topic, but keeping in mind that all this is new to me: what do Spiritualist revelations have to say about daily life in the spirit world?

I've read the first two Benson / Borgia books: Life in the World Unseen, and More About Life in the World Unseen, and just started reading Here and Hereafter.

Any other good books that offer insight on this fascinating topic?

Jim

Life Beyond Death: What Should We Expect? by David Fontana is is quite good Jim.

David examines all the extensive evidential material that has been accumulated over time—including communication through mediums and accounts from those who had near-death and out-of-body experiences.
I wasn't too impressed by that Fontana book to be honest. A bit too much focus on religion and not much on actual or purported communication through mediums for me.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:21 pm

I ordered the Fontana book. I figured for $10.98 including shipping, I can't go too far wrong. Smile And I'm really interested in evidence from any and all sources, whether mediumship, near death experiences, conventional religious teaching, or whatever.

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by obiwan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:35 pm

I don't think you'll find much evidence in it. Perhaps some food for thought.

obiwan


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Azur on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Left Behind wrote:I ordered the Fontana book. I figured for $10.98 including shipping, I can't go too far wrong. Smile And I'm really interested in evidence from any and all sources, whether mediumship, near death experiences, conventional religious teaching, or whatever.

Jim

It's a good read, be sure to let me know what you thought, good or bad.

Azur

Azur


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:55 pm

One of my problems with many of the earlier descriptions of life in the Spirit world are the variations between them. All to often they seem to reflect the desires of the writer rather than communicate from Spirit.

So you can find Summerland, like a form of Victorian idyll, places with valleys full of darkness where those who committed suicide are left to learn their lessons etc etc.

I note that many of our finest Spirit communicatoes have never tried to share what life is like on the other side. I have a feeling that the explanation may just be beyond our real comprehension so we have to make it fit within the parameters of this physical life.

Interestingly although we always say that we were Spirit before we had a physical life no one ever looks at how when we return there our prior knowledge of the Spirit world is integrated with the experiences of this physical life.

It is interesting that when you are passing on communications from the loved one's in Spirit I have never been asked by the recipient what the life is like in Spirit. Lis and I were jointly doing a reading for a man who had just lost his adult son to a very sudden instantaneous heart aneurism. Fortunately the son came through giving a glimpse from beyond saying he was in bed in a room full of light with open windows and caring "nurses" so that he could recover and start his transition
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Of course you could always try the books by Robert James Lees, the "Jack the Ripper" Medium. "Through the Mists" and "The Life Elysian" they can both be downloaded free in pdf format if you google them. In particular Life Elysian is here http://www.spiritwritings.com/library.html This is an excellent resource grouping books generally by topic.


Last edited by Admin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 am

Admin wrote:One of my problems with many of the earlier descriptions of life in the Spirit world are the variations between them. All to often they seem to reflect the desires of the writer rather than communicate from Spirit.

A theory of many interested in near death experiences is that what the experiencer sees is partly what he wants to see, and partly what he needs to see, in order to take necessary steps upon his return to his body.

Admittedly, this should be less applicable in the case of Spiritualist revelations, though, because there you're talking with/about spirits who didn't return, and have been in spirit longer.


Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:46 am

Admin wrote:

Interestingly although we always say that we were Spirit before we had a physical life no one ever looks at how when we return there our prior knowledge of the Spirit world is integrated with the experiences of this physical life.

Yes, and I'm also dubious about reincarnation, for similar reasons.


Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:48 am

Remember Jim that when Spirit communicate they do so to humans and the mind of the medium can often get in the way. Even in deep trance there can be moments when the subconscious interferes.

One of the joys of an imperfect method of communication now if the US congress had built the Spirit Telegraph proposed in the 1850's maybe we'd be chatting on the phone now.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:48 am

Left Behind wrote:
Admin wrote:

Interestingly although we always say that we were Spirit before we had a physical life no one ever looks at how when we return there our prior knowledge of the Spirit world is integrated with the experiences of this physical life.

Yes, and I'm also dubious about reincarnation, for similar reasons.


Jim

I agree with you there Jim so am I
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:52 am

Admin wrote:

It is interesting that when you are passing on communications from the loved one's in Spirit I have never been asked by the recipient what the life is like in Spirit. Lis and I were jointly doing a reading for a man who had just lost his adult son to a very sudden instantaneous heart aneurism. Fortunately the son came through giving a glimpse from beyond saying he was in bed in a room full of light with open windows and caring "nurses" so that he could recover and start his transition

REALLY? I would have thought that this would be one of the Top 3 questions those on earth would ask. It would be for me. Very Happy

Benson / Borgia, in the Life In the World Unseen series, mention that there are hospital-like facilities in the spirit world, to aid those who have just come over and have had a rough death process.

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:54 am

Admin wrote:Remember Jim that when Spirit communicate they do so to humans and the mind of the medium can often get in the way. Even in deep trance there can be moments when the subconscious interferes.

One of the joys of an imperfect method of communication now if the US congress had built the Spirit Telegraph proposed in the 1850's maybe we'd be chatting on the phone now.

Laughing I often call my deceased wife's cell phone, just to hear her voice on the voice mail recording. It would be so much more fun if we could have a real conversation! Very Happy

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:56 am

Admin wrote:Of course you could always try the books by Robert James Lees, the "Jack the Ripper" Medium. "Through the Mists" and "The Life Elysian" they can both be downloaded free in pdf format if you google them. In particular Life Elysian is here http://www.spiritwritings.com/library.html This is an excellent resource grouping books generally by topic.

I'll look into those. Smile

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Azur on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:58 am

Just as our own perception of the physical reality might differ from our neighbour's perception, so a spirit communicator's view of the spirit reality will be different from another's.

We do, however, know a little of the spirit world. When a Spirit passes over, he will be surrounded by things familiar to him, in order to limit the confusion he may experience.

Existence in the spirit world is always one of learning and growth.

There are worlds within worlds in spirit.


Azur


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:03 am

Admin wrote: In particular Life Elysian is here http://www.spiritwritings.com/library.html This is an excellent resource grouping books generally by topic.

Lots of great stuff there! Very Happy

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:06 am

Azur wrote:Just as our own perception of the physical reality might differ from our neighbour's perception, so a spirit communicator's view of the spirit reality will be different from another's.

We do, however, know a little of the spirit world. When a Spirit passes over, he will be surrounded by things familiar to him, in order to limit the confusion he may experience.

Existence in the spirit world is always one of learning and growth.

There are worlds within worlds in spirit.


Yes. You could spent your life in one part of a given country and be in a totally different place from someone else who's lived in another part of the same country. I see no reason to suppose that the afterworld will be any different, in that respect.

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:18 am

Try to explain life in modern cities to a South African Bushman. I remember that fantastic film "The Gods Must be Crazy" about that exchange of concepts.
avatar
Admin
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Life in the Spirit World?

Post by Left Behind on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 pm

That movie is one of my all-time favorites. I love the scene at the end where he succeeded in throwing the Coke bottle "off the earth"! Very Happy

Jim

Left Behind


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum